Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

FMguru posted:

A flag that is not just red, but some kind of glowing neon red.

AITAH for blocking her bc on the first date she wanted to “chime in on my therapy”?

And that wasn’t even the weirdest thing she did / said the whole day.

:laffo: I hope they post the other things she said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Irisi posted:

Frankly, not even chamber music, things get really riotous at the Last Night of the Proms at the Albert Hall, there were folk there basically pogoing to Verdi when I was there last year.

next time they should give everyone real anvils

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

A flag that is not just red, but some kind of glowing neon red.

AITAH for blocking her bc on the first date she wanted to “chime in on my therapy”?

That's a hell of an ask on a first date. God on OP for noping the hell out of this mess.
Lol

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CannonFodder posted:

Nah, she should go as Leia in ROTJ combat on the moon of Endor outfit. Or a Princess Padme's combat outfit in AOTC, which is also white for impact.

I just like the idea of her being in the bridal party in camo and helmet, blaster at her side.

Hela, with the huge spiky hat.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Defiance Industries posted:

She's technically more of a queen, rather than a princess... which opens up the possibility of OP dressing like the evil queens in disney movies.

Be the Evil Queen from Snow White, declare herself the fairest of them all on her sister's wedding day.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Irisi posted:

Frankly, not even chamber music, things get really riotous at the Last Night of the Proms at the Albert Hall, there were folk there basically pogoing to Verdi when I was there last year.

The old masters were really good at rhythm and catchy tunes. A hearty lmao at whoever's square enough to not at least shake their hips in their seat while listening to Haendel's Unto us a child is born or And he shall purify.

Yes, even in a church.

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

Kurieg posted:

Is this you?

leave three olives out of this

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Let's see what's going on over in legacy advice column land today

Three's More Than a Crowd for This Tiny Apartment

quote:

DEAR ABBY: My boyfriend is 18 years younger than I am. Our relationship hasn't been perfect, but I love him to death. Unfortunately, I'm going through menopause and have all the side effects. Long story short, he found another girl. It was just supposed to be for sex, and he told me he wouldn't get into another relationship or marry anyone but me. Well, he fell for her, which I warned him he was going to do.

They are both at my apartment. I'm trying to make him happy by allowing this, but he can be so mean to me, and he's so nice to her. He tells me how nice she is, etc. I told him it's because he hasn't hurt her yet. He won't have sex with me now. He claims he isn't favoring her, but he is.

I love him so much, and don't want to lose him. I'm in so much pain because I can't please him in every way. I don't know what to do. Should I allow this and try to make it work, or should I give up since it seems like he has given up on me? -- CAN'T STOP CRYING

DEAR CAN'T STOP: Let me get this straight. Your much-younger boyfriend and his new girlfriend live in your apartment (rent-free), and he no longer makes love with you. What are you getting out of this charade besides pain?

If I thought it would help, I'd advise you to stick it out and hope his romance will blow over. But I can't -- because whatever respect and gratitude he felt for you is gone. The pain you are experiencing will end only when you find your self-respect and usher the two lovebirds out the door. For your own sake, please do it soon.

:stare: Well, I think that's enough legacy advice column for one day

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

CoffeeBoofer posted:

leave three olives out of this

:laffo:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
why would you do this to me, on a lovely Friday? make me remember that kyle xy existed

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
An old family name, but taken to extreme:

AITA for telling my husband to be honest with his family about his name before he forces a name on our son that none of us want him to have?

quote:

So my husband's family have a male name that gets passed down through the generations; it's Andrew George. My husband was given that name at birth, so were three of his male cousins, his dad and five of his dad's cousins, then his grandpa and two of his grandpa's cousins, his great uncle and cousins, then great great grandpa is how far we know it goes back for sure. My husband never liked his original name. He got the nickname of Sunshine in middle school and when he started college he started going by Sunny and then legally changed his name after graduation to Sunny and a middle name he chose for himself. But he never told his family about the name change and they call him Andrew and some of his siblings call him Drewey.

When we met my husband was already going by Sunny and we talked about the family name, the fact he didn't want to pass it on, the fact I also didn't like passing down family names as first names and we had agreed to giving our kids their own names. We also both had a thing for more unisex names and before I was even pregnant we had two boy names and two girl names chosen with an order to how we'd use them.

Now we're pregnant and we're having a boy and my husband has decided he doesn't want to upset his family and he feels we should use the family name for our son. I told him we'd agreed not to use it and he was putting me in a position to give a name I don't like to our kid. My husband said we could call him something else. My response to that was he wanted to deny me a say in the name and let me give our kid a nickname that won't be legally usable on documents. He told me his family would be pissed if we passed up on this especially as our son will be the first grandchild. I asked him if his family's feelings and opinions were more important than mine and he said no without any hesitation or doubt. But he asked me to do this one thing for him. I told him he should try being honest with his family before forcing a name on our son that none of us want him to have. He told me I didn't understand and I told him I did, but how could I trust him if he decided to flip that switch so hard that he's willing to pester me into doing this.

He told me I wasn't being fair bringing up his name change and I told him he was the one not being fair expecting me to name my child in accordance to his family's wishes.

AITA?

Family gatherings must be confusing as hell lmao, per the OP:

redditor posted:

INFO - How on earth do family get-togethers work when someone yells for Andrew George and 47 guys come running / shuffling / crawling??

the OP posted:

It gets very confusing and a lot of the Andrew's don't have nicknames or ways to distinguish fully. Sometimes it's "where's Mary's Andrew or Jill's Andrew?" and it's not so easy to navigate. Especially in such a big family.

Presumably the matronymics are necessary because all the fathers are also named Andrew George lmao.

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 26, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shanghaied posted:

AITA for telling my husband to be honest with his family about his name before he forces a name on our son that none of us want him to have?

Family gatherings must be confusing as hell lmao

Hope none of the Andrews George cop a felony charge or life is going to get really fun for the other dozen or so.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
poo poo, I can't even get my parents to call me by my middle name.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I used to stress out about going to family reunions because there were too many names to keep track of, especially on the guys' side. Maybe that would've been better?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

me watching my cat take her food out of the food bowl and eat it off the kitchen floor

My dog always liked to take a mouthful, trot 20 or so feet to the family room, drop the food, then lick it off the carpet.

It was always by the back door, so maybe he just wanted to look outside while he ate...

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Shanghaied posted:

Family gatherings must be confusing as hell lmao, per the OP:

Presumably the matronymics are necessary because all the fathers are also named Andrew George lmao.

Yeah that sounds like a logistical nightmare. Especially if they live in the same area.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Could be worse - the Domitius Ahenobarbus family ONLY used the forenames Lucius or Gnaeus.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITAH - My friend keeps on talking about my ex in front of my fiancée

quote:

My (29M) best friend Jess (29F) keeps on mentioning my ex (29F) in front of my fiancée, and I am thinking of cutting her off. I want to know if I am overreacting, or if Jess is in the wrong.

For context, Jess and I went to the same high school and the same college. We were friends in high school. However, since we both went to the same out-of-state college, we became best friends since then. We have always been there for each other during the best and worst times. However, things have always been platonic, and she is more like a big sister to me, who made sure I stay on the right track.

I have only been in two long-term relationships so far. One was with my ex Lisa for 7 years. We met in college and dated all through our college years. Lisa and Jess also became good friends, too. After college, Lisa and I just grew apart and had different goals in life. I became "boring" after college as I was working on my PhD while doing a full time job. Lisa broke up with me as she wanted to party on weekends, while I was home studying. I was heartbroken, but I don't think I ever blamed her or had resentment towards her, as I understood my decisions were selfish and should not hold her back from having the best life.

Jess always stood by me and comforted me during that time. Jess and Lisa were good friends and Jess always kept on telling me that Lisa loves me and will be back one day when I am ready. I foolishly held on to that hope and stayed friends with Lisa. That was until I met my fiancee Yang. After I finished my PhD, I got a nice job in a big tech company. Yang joined our team a year after me. We started going out for drinks, and dinner and we started dating seriously pretty soon. We are happy together, and financially in a great place. Needless to say, I stopped talking to Lisa after I started dating Yang.

I proposed to Yang a year after we started dating and got engaged last year. Jess has been acting weirdly since we got engaged. One of the first things she said to Yang after we got engaged was how I had planned the same thing for Lisa (proposing on a local hiking trail). It was a bit off-putting that she was bringing up Lisa whom I broke up with almost 5 years ago on such a happy occasion. However, Yang asked me to not spoil my mood, as she felt Jess was just commenting on how I had that plan in mind for years.

Since then, every time we meet, Jess without fail brings up Lisa and how the things I am doing are all the things I had planned with Lisa. This happened when we bought a house, planned for vacations, etc. Jess always starts with some nostalgic story and then brings up how Lisa and I were so happy together. She is still good friends with Lisa and keeps giving me updates about Lisa and how great Lisa is doing at work when no one is asking for it. It felt like she was painting a rosy picture of Lisa to Yang and telling Yang that she would always be second to Lisa.

Yang told me Jess's comments bothered her, and I also felt the same. I have brought this up with Jess many times and asked her not to do it. However, she says she will try but since I dated Lisa for 7 years, she would be part of many stories from the past. Also, she asked me why talking about Lisa bothers me and if I still have feelings for her. I have reduced hanging out with Jess. However, she is close with my mom and is always invited to all our family parties and holidays.

I talked to my mom and sister about this and they feel I am overreacting. They feel Jess is just telling stories and since the stories are mostly from college days and later, Lisa will be a character in the story. They also feel I should not be bothered by Jess mentioning Lisa since we broke up a long time ago. I feel that it's disrespectful to Yang as she doesn't need to hear about all the fun Lisa and I had when we were together and how we were planning to get married. Do you think I am the rear end in a top hat to stop here or Jess is truly acting out of line?

"Oh how selfish I was for..." <checks notes> "Getting a PhD so I could get a great job!"

Update - 23 days later

quote:

I wrote a post a month ago regarding my friend Jess mentioning my ex constantly in front of my fiancée. Thanks to everyone who commented, and how inappropriate it was. However, the last month has been nothing but crazy and I still trying to make sense of what happened so far.

After my post, I decided to talk to Jess and gave her an ultimatum not to speak about my ex Lisa again. I know Jess and Lisa are still friends, but I was uncomfortable of her comparing my fiancée Yang with Lisa all the time. I broke up with Lisa 5 years ago, and she is nothing but a faint memory in my past. Jess kept on defending herself and telling me that I was with Lisa for most of my adult life and it's hard to tell any stories from the past without including her.

She also blamed me for being emotionally childish and just forgetting about Lisa when she was with me for 7 years. Finally, Jess agreed that she will not bring up Lisa in front of Yang, and I should also not treat Lisa as she does not exist since she is still Jess's friend. I informed Yang about our conversation. Although she was appreciative about it, she said I did not need to do it and she knows how much I love her and every time Jess brings up my Lisa, she feels sorry for Lisa that she let a guy like me go.

Yang went to visit China two weeks ago for a month as we plan to get married in her hometown. She is taking care of her shopping as well as preparations for the wedding. Jess invited me to her house that Friday for dinner as I was home alone. I am also good friends with her husband, and we were all just chatting and drinking in the living room. Around 7.30pm, the doorbell rang, and Jess excitedly went to open the door. To my surprise, it was loving Lisa at the door.

She was all dressed up as if she were ready for a date and came in. I had not seen her in person for almost 3 years and I was shocked to see her. She sat down and started making small talk with me. I was extremely uncomfortable and went into the kitchen to talk to Jess. I was angry at her and asked her what was going on. She kept on telling me that it's been 5 years since the breakup and to get over it and be nice to Lisa.

She said Lisa was excited to meet me and she thought we were all adults and could have one fun evening together. We had a fight and I told her that she should not have invited Lisa after our conversation the other day and I do not want to be friends with her anymore. I went into the living room and politely excused myself and told everyone that I had a work emergency and had to leave early. Lisa looked sad, but I genuinely felt uncomfortable to be made to hang out with my ex without my consent.

I came home and called Yang. I have never seen her more furious, and she told me she is not comfortable with Jess anymore as she has some agenda that we do not know about. It's different to talk about Lisa, but to invite her without consulting is not ok. I also felt the same and I called Jess the next day and told her that she crossed a line, and I was terribly upset with her. I stopped taking her calls and ghosted her. I also told my mom and sister about the whole incident.

Last Sunday, my mom called me for lunch. When I got there, I saw Jess was already there. I told my mom that I do not want to talk to Jess and can't stay. However, she asked me to sit as they all wanted to talk to me. I have a glutton for punishment and decided to hear them out. My mom started with how Jess has been there for me all these years and only has my best interest at heart. She kept on telling me that they are the three people (mom, sister, and Jess) that love me the most.

Jess started saying how she felt that I was making a big mistake in not having to hear what Lisa had to say. She told me that Lisa was my first love and Lisa is now ready to settle down and we can pick where we left off. She reminded me how broken I was when Lisa left me and how life is giving me a second chance. My sister also chimed in and said how they all liked Lisa more than Yang and how we both looked so great together. Finally, my mom started saying how our culture was so different than Yang and it is hard for them to relate to her.

I asked them in what way, and my mom said that they did not understand what Yang says sometimes and have nothing in common with her. Then my mom asked me to think about how Lisa and I would have such wonderful looking kids, while if I marry Yang, our kids will look so different. I started getting their drift and I probed more. My mom told me how our kids would look Asian with "small eyes" and not like any others in the family.

I asked my mom if she cared about my kids looks more and not about how smart they will be since Yang has a PhD. She blew it off, and I realized she just did not want me to marry Yang because she was Chinese and not white. My mom told me to forgive Jess and my mom asked Jess to talk to Lisa on my behalf and asked her if she would be interested in getting back together with me. My mom was adamant that since I loved Lisa so much, I should be happy and pick up things where we left off as that is the best for everyone. I have never been so angry and may have said a lot of unkind things to all of them before I left

I am so depressed right now. I not only lost my best friend, but also am not sure how I can move on from what my mom said. My mom and sister raised me and that is the reason where I am today. However, I cannot get over how racist they are being and how they were just pretending to like Yang all these years while actively working on breaking us up. I have been so shocked that I have not told any of this to Yang so far. I might wait for her to come back next week and talk to her in person.

Again, thanks everyone for all your messages on the last post as they helped me a lot to think through the situation. My life is more hosed up than I could imagine, and I cannot imagine how dejected Yang will feel after hearing all this.

If you realized it was racism from the moment the fiancee was named, you win a prize! But I just love Lisa being like, "Well now that you're done studying and are rich, I guess we can pick up where things left off since neither of us found anything better!"

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Flowers For Algeria posted:

The old masters were really good at rhythm and catchy tunes. A hearty lmao at whoever's square enough to not at least shake their hips in their seat while listening to Haendel's Unto us a child is born or And he shall purify.

Yes, even in a church.

Indeed!

(Starts at 03:10)

https://youtu.be/RzxrzTOnxJY?si=k7Tu9AG57anod5oY

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA for not being able to drive a car?

quote:

My husband (42m) and I (39f) grew up in adjacent suburbs of one of the largest cities in our country, but when we met we were both living in apartments in the city centre. When we got married, six years ago, we had a pretty big discussion over where we would live. I was happy to stay in the city, even if we had kids, but my husband said that if we decided to start a family he would want us to move out to the suburbs. I conceded that a bigger living space and easy access to grandparents for childcare would probably outweigh my desire to live in the city centre, but I was concerned that transport links would be poor. He asked if I would be willing to learn to drive.

When I turned driving age as a teenager, I had been super excited to get my licence, but cars and I simply didn’t gel. I had poor spatial awareness, I panicked under pressure, and I was petrified of other cars. Even so, I agreed to try again. I took lessons, but then fell pregnant, and then started learning again but fell pregnant for the second time. So all in all, I’ve been learning for six years and still don’t feel ready to take my test.

Over the years, my husband has been bringing up driving with more and more frequency. Whenever I ask him to do more around the house, he brings up the fact that he does 100% of the driving (and therefore 100% of the things that need a car, such as grocery shopping, school drop-off and pick-up, driving to and from family trips/visits). I have no frame of reference, but I suspect that he overstates the difficulty of driving – I don’t think it’s as hard as doing the kids’ laundry or cleaning the house (two of the chores I do most of the time). I also think that the two regular things he does the majority of – cooking and driving – are things that he enjoys doing, whereas nobody likes vacuuming or laundry.

He says that the fact that I can’t drive is placing an unfair burden on him and on the kids. He brings up the fact that we had to cancel our son’s after-school tennis lessons when he was asked to go in to the office one extra day a week, because the tennis club was virtually isolated from public transport (nearest bus stop is 30 minutes’ walk away, but it’s just a 5 minute drive). He says that I am relying on the fact that he and my mom & dad are usually around to give us lifts when we need them, and that he is worried about what we’ll do if he becomes incapacitated in some way.

AITA for not having learned to drive yet?

Driving: simultaneously the easiest task in the world, but also requiring over half a decade to attempt learning the basics

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

At least swap it up and do a George Andrew here and there

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Captain Hygiene posted:

Driving: simultaneously the easiest task in the world, but also requiring over half a decade to attempt learning the basics

maybe if she doesn't think she would ever be good at driving she shouldn't be driving?? like come on how many stories have we had in this thread of people who've managed to get into several collisions

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

maybe if she doesn't think she would ever be good at driving she shouldn't be driving?? like come on how many stories have we had in this thread of people who've managed to get into several collisions

I had some sympathy at first, but she never brought up any particular trouble trying again as an adult other than just not getting through it. At that point, it started reading more as her just getting comfortable with it being someone else's job, to the point of inconveniencing her family.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Some people just don't possess the proper proprioception to drive a car. I'm one of them. I refuse to expose other people to that danger so I don't drive.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be more sympathetic if she wasn't like "anyway driving is super easy compared to doing the laundry so he's fine." If it's so easy, why can't you do it, huh? Admit driving has difficulties!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i would way rather spend the day driving than like clean the bathroom. like if i was in a cohabitation relationship and my partner said "hey i hate driving so could you do all the grocery shopping and other assorted errands and i'll do all the bathroom cleaning" i'd be halfway out the door with my car key already

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Hughlander posted:

AITAH - My friend keeps on talking about my ex in front of my fiancée

"Oh how selfish I was for..." <checks notes> "Getting a PhD so I could get a great job!"

Update - 23 days later

If you realized it was racism from the moment the fiancee was named, you win a prize! But I just love Lisa being like, "Well now that you're done studying and are rich, I guess we can pick up where things left off since neither of us found anything better!"

Holy gently caress. The manipulation from all these assholes. :fuckoff:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I hate driving and ideally I don't think OP should really have to drive if she doesn't feel able but if they live somewhere where it's not possible to get around without driving, even if OP's husband doesn't hate driving, I can also understand him not liking to do all the stuff that involves driving, because if he's also doing the cooking it does sound like he's doing a ton of stuff: "(and therefore 100% of the things that need a car, such as grocery shopping, school drop-off and pick-up, driving to and from family trips/visits)"

Also personally I probably wouldn't like to have to always do 100% of the time sensitive stuff like school drop-offs/pick-ups and take the kids to other activities all the time and never be able to have my spouse do that stuff based on scheduling constraints.

I think maybe it was a mistake for them to move to the suburbs given this situation

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 26, 2024

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'd be more sympathetic if she wasn't like "anyway driving is super easy compared to doing the laundry so he's fine." If it's so easy, why can't you do it, huh? Admit driving has difficulties!

Yep, same. Driving is not hard per se, but it does require concentration in a way that doing laundry or cleaning do not. You are rarely able to kill yourself or someone else doing laundry or cleaning.

Edit: also please gently caress off with the "if you derive any kind of satisfaction what-so-ever from doing a chore, then it's not a chore, and therefore should do more chores." Oh you worked 70 hours this week, but no see you said that you like your job, so really you didn't work at all. No, gently caress off!

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 26, 2024

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

mystes posted:

I hate driving and ideally I don't think OP should really have to drive if she doesn't feel able but if they live somewhere where it's not possible to get around without driving, even if OP's husband doesn't hate driving, I can also understand him not liking to do all the stuff that involves driving, because if he's also doing the cooking it does sound like he's doing a ton of stuff: "(and therefore 100% of the things that need a car, such as grocery shopping, school drop-off and pick-up, driving to and from family trips/visits)"

Also personally I probably wouldn't like to have to always do 100% of the time sensitive stuff like school drop-offs/pick-ups and take the kids to other activities all the time and never be able to have my spouse do that stuff based on scheduling constraints.

:same:
I like driving, but I don't like waiting in a school pickup lane, or having to make sure I am available at 5:15 exactly every Wednesday for soccer practice, and then you might as well just stay there because you can't get home and back before you need to pick them up again. Doing dishes sucks but at least I can choose the timing and I can watch a video on my phone while I scrub the lasagna pan.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Obviously that's why you buy a Tesla, so you can watch videos while driving with no issue thanks to Full Self Dri*crashes into ambulance and explodes*

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
uniquely american problem

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ominous Jazz posted:

uniquely american problem

god i wish our public transit wasn't purposefully strangled in the crib, yeah

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

haveblue posted:

Obviously that's why you buy a Tesla, so you can watch videos while driving with no issue thanks to Full Self Dri*crashes into ambulance and explodes*

At least that would be quick. Still better than accidentally putting your car in reverse, backing into a pond and slowly drowning, because Elon thought it'd be a great idea to have touch screen gear selector.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

I think maybe it was a mistake for them to move to the suburbs given this situation

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Kitfox88 posted:

god i wish our public transit wasn't purposefully strangled in the crib, yeah

my family might be looking for me in heaven but i will be in hell chasing down robert moses

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I would definitely rather do the driving chores than the cleaning chores, but it still takes time and energy and I'd be pretty mad if I had to do three hours of driving chores in a day and my wife was like "well I cleaned for ninety minutes, can you do another ninety?" or whatever. The real rear end in a top hat in this situation is carbrained infrastructure, if you can't drive you're going to have a really bad time living in all the parts of north america that are basically just giant drive-through malls, but she's definitely not helping.

Cthulu Carl posted:

My dog always liked to take a mouthful, trot 20 or so feet to the family room, drop the food, then lick it off the carpet.

It was always by the back door, so maybe he just wanted to look outside while he ate...

The dog equivalent of watching Youtube while eating take-out.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

When we were together, my ex-wife refused to get her license. For over a decade, I took her and all the kids (3 of them) to medical/dental appointments, dance practice / extra-curriculars, grocery shopping, or other errands like facebook marketplace pickups. It felt like a full-time loving job, I often had to book off work to do much of it, and she was stay-at-home for over half of the relationship. She berated me about taking too long, or that it wasn't that big of a deal. Even worse, the kids ended up doing dance like 5 times a week for a while, totally overloading them too.

When we finally separated, she got a car and her license out of spite. At first she was adamant that driving was no big deal, until she realized how much her evening blew up taking the kids to dance 4 times per week. The kids thankfully have cut back on extra-curriculars and have more free time, and my ex-wife all but apologized for putting us through that.

Rant.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

When we were together, my ex-wife refused to get her license. For over a decade, I took her and all the kids (3 of them) to medical/dental appointments, dance practice / extra-curriculars, grocery shopping, or other errands like facebook marketplace pickups. It felt like a full-time loving job, I often had to book off work to do much of it, and she was stay-at-home for over half of the relationship. She berated me about taking too long, or that it wasn't that big of a deal. Even worse, the kids ended up doing dance like 5 times a week for a while, totally overloading them too.

When we finally separated, she got a car and her license out of spite. At first she was adamant that driving was no big deal, until she realized how much her evening blew up taking the kids to dance 4 times per week. The kids thankfully have cut back on extra-curriculars and have more free time, and my ex-wife all but apologized for putting us through that.

Rant.

Eminently believable username/post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Defiance Industries posted:

Hella.

( :v: )

AITA for not Saying "Yes Sir" to my Manager?

quote:

(self.AmItheAsshole)
Little bit of context about me, and my job. I've worked at a movie theater for 4 years, and love it. I always come in, and try to go above, and beyond. My managers have taking notice, and have been giving me a lot more responsibilities. Now it's not a promotion, and it doesn't increase my pay, but I know how this works. You start from the bottom, and you work your way up. I get it plus it doesn't hurt that I know this job like the back of my hand, so it's not really extra work. I also put in a lot of work with a bunch of my coworkers over a month long period to perfect a system that would help everyone out, and would make everything nice and organized. We put it all together in a document, and went to my GM with it. He took it to corporate, and they gave us the all clear.

Now my GM had to take an extended period of time off for a family emergency. In comes a manager (John) from out of state to step in as a temp GM. First day literally changes everything back. Takes down everything we put up. All the info sheets for new hires when they get stuck and can't call for help, New usher sheets that make life so much easier, New concession ticket that make it more organized, and so much more all gone. Why? cause that's not how they did it at his theater.
Workers are confused, and start to slip up by doing things the new way then having to do it the old much longer way it was a nightmare. I've never been handed so many guest complaints in my life. All about how they liked how things were ran before, and that it was better the other way cause they didn't have to wait nearly as long.

Then I find out that a new hire was in tears in the back wanting to quit because of how John was treating her. At that point I was so confused/frustrated by how he could come in, and in a matter of 2.5 months just completely ruin what we had going. The new hire ends up leaving, and John comes to me and says "You need to get on register now." This is what I said word for word. "Alright John I'm heading there now." He tilts his head, and says "Uh I think you forgot a Yes Sir there buddy."

I look at the line of people then him, and repeat myself, and walk away to do my job. Now my GM is back in town, so yesterday John calls him to pretty much demand that I be fired for disrespecting him, and refusing to work. What he doesn't know is that me, and the employees from that day including the new hire will be going up there in about 30 mins to discuss in detail (Power Point presentation) everything that's been going on since he's been gone. Before I go AITA? I know I could have just said "Yes Sir", but not to someone who works, and treats his employees like that I'm sorry I just can't.