Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

It's an ancient Greek name. Her grandparents are just assholes.

E or are we talking about the name Karen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Grey Cat posted:

"Hey Elizabeth"

Oh hey:
Adolf and Eva,
Usagi and Mamoru,
etc.

Boomer & Karen

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Totbot posted:

Man, some of y’all really care about the weirdest poo poo. I can’t imagine getting upset about people eating in their own bed and I really can’t imagine caring about how many beds people get in a hotel room.

Just to follow up on this, my family lived through almost a year of a severe roach infestation when I was a kid because my brother was a little rear end in a top hat as a teenager who would not stop hiding dishes with uneaten food on them under his bed instead of taking them back to the kitchen.

I get twitchy about food in bedrooms at all even years later. Eating in bed is an "absolutely not" thing for me. Fortunately my wife doesn't have the habit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Just to follow up on this, my family lived through almost a year of a severe roach infestation when I was a kid because my brother was a little rear end in a top hat as a teenager who would not stop hiding dishes with uneaten food on them under his bed instead of taking them back to the kitchen.

I get twitchy about food in bedrooms at all even years later. Eating in bed is an "absolutely not" thing for me. Fortunately my wife doesn't have the habit.

I had a friend like this in my teens. He hated it, but every time i came over to have a movie night or something with him I'd always start by cleaning his room. At least just removing the multi-day old plates and hidden glasses of week old chocolate milk. he'd always get huffy at first, his mom would be super thankful, and then when I was done he'd actually be participating and thanking me for doing it and vowing to start being more proactive about taking dishes upstairs himself. Depression sucks :(

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Boomer & Karen

Ooh that's good, idk how I missed that one.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Scathach posted:

Oh my god I did I miss the John Prob? drat my dudes.

It would have been a nice addition. Alas!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Baronjutter posted:

I had a friend like this in my teens. He hated it, but every time i came over to have a movie night or something with him I'd always start by cleaning his room. At least just removing the multi-day old plates and hidden glasses of week old chocolate milk. he'd always get huffy at first, his mom would be super thankful, and then when I was done he'd actually be participating and thanking me for doing it and vowing to start being more proactive about taking dishes upstairs himself. Depression sucks :(

Fair, I realize that post could come across as being lovely to sufferers of depression (I'm one too for the record). I will say that my brother did have mental health issues as a teen and all his life and it even contributed to his death, but depression was never one of them and he was genuinely an rear end in a top hat on top of all of it.

No need to derail the newly rebooted into a discussion of my family's fun issues though. If I wanted to do that on this site I'd post a thread in E/N. And then probably log off and burn my computer.

That was a good thing you did for your friend.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Trying to un-disown your child by demanding to speak to the manager

AITA for calling the police on my mother for coming to my workplace?

quote:

I (42F) own a cafe with my husband (46M). It was passed down to us from his parents. My husband has his own career so running the cafe is my job and I love it. I used to have a purely managerial role when the kids were younger but now I like to get involved with making food/serving customers.

I haven’t spoken to my family as a whole in a very long time. I’ve spoke with a select few members every now and then but it’s very surface level. This is because I used to be an addict when i was a teen and they disowned me. I don’t blame them because I was a nightmare to deal with but that’s what happened.

I got clean, met my husband who is also a former addict (we met while volunteering at a support group for newly clean addicts) and we got married and had four beautiful children.

I never reached out to my family ever because I considered the disowning the end of our chapter in life together. Additionally, I watched how my husband’s family never turned their back on him and stuck by him through it all. Yes, I know how difficult that is to do and they are saints for doing it but still, I was secretly jealous that my family were so quick to toss me away when his family was determined to see him through it.

One family member i speak to occasionally (probably twice a year) is my older brother. He wants me to ‘come back’ to the family but I’m happy with my life and see no reason to revisit painful feelings. He found out about the cafe when i took a more active role in running it. He comes by occasionally and a few weeks ago, he tagged the cafe in a facebook post. It’s not like i’m in witness protection so there are photos of me and my husband on the facebook page and one thing lead to another and now members of my family cannot stop coming to the place to see me. I had to take time off to avoid them and it was hard on our staff who were constantly being asked to speak to the manager. They were demanding that I speak to them and reconcile and said that I was holding a grudge for 2 decades.

My brother told them to stop numerous times, I told them to stop but it was a nightmare. I went into my CCTV and took the photos of the family member who kept coming and made a ‘banned list’. If they came in, they would be considered trespassing and the police would be called. They were informed of this.

Yesterday, my mother came and yelled at my cashier (who is my husbands niece) to get me from my office. I asked her to leave, and then called the cops. They came and made her leave by physically removing her.

Now, I am having my facebook page bombarded with comments from family calling me every name under the sun. I spoke to my in laws who are the most sensible people I know and they said I probably shouldn’t have called the cops as it escalated the situation. My family are demanding an apology and i’m starting to think i overreacted. AITA?
I can't believe you're holding a silly grudge over the fact that we literally disowned you and drove you out of our family!

FMguru fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 2, 2024

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

From previous thread:

mystes posted:

People can have 500 beds for all I care, they just can't eat in any of them

I am having oatmeal and tea in my bed right now, brought by my perfect husband, and it's loving great.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
When I saw the past thread was closed, I was wondering who took things too far. Good to know it's just a new thread.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Skutter posted:

WIBTA for asking the staff at my gym to stop someone from recording classes?

I can understand someone recording themselves to check their form, but this sounds way over the top, especially with the different angles thing. Why is that necessary? And why hasn't she been kicked out?!

Why would you post videos of other people working out on your instagram though? Do I just not get social media?

Also surprised that the gym didn't kick her out. Even my lovely former retail job had an "absolute no filming without written permission from management and PR dept chaperones" policy and this was like 2009.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Gotta get it for the 'gram! Don't most gyms have a "no recording other people" policy, anyway? I don't go to any since I don't like working out in public, but that was my general perception.

Yeah most do. I record a lot since my form is generally garbage and I have a coach but I'm psychotic about not bothering people and I never upload anything if someone else is in the shot. I also workout at 430 am most days so really not a lot of people at the gym

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Last night I ate a whole rear end pork chop with mashed potatoes and Hunter's gravy in bed while watching Somebody Feed Phil

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

trickybiscuits posted:

Anyway, the solution I found was to tell the interviewer, “Sorry about that; my dad lives here and he sometimes gets a little confused.” Not technically a lie, but it framed me as a tolerant adult who knew business norms rather than a surly teenager.

That kid is going places if he can come up with a clever cover answer like that. I don't even count that as a lie - I think "confused" is accurate since he's talked to his dad, his dad acknowledged it, but he still keeps interrupting anyway.

DoctorWhat posted:

The spoiler here is a pro click, oh my god. Laughed like a loon.

That was a great update. I was feeling kind of sad for him and even a little hopeful for her until the last bit of the update where her current situation gets explained. (Hopeful for something like she didn't really realize what she was doing, he tells her, she'd have one of those 'drat, I WAS doing that wasn't I?' moments, they'd move on with their lives).

Smugworth posted:

Last night I ate a whole rear end pork chop with mashed potatoes and Hunter's gravy in bed while watching Somebody Feed Phil

You ate your fill while watching Phil?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

DemoneeHo posted:

I know we like to bask in the glory of Big John, but did the ol' Timothy the Mouse story have pictures too?

Tragically, no.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I assume she's also sticking the spoon back into the peanut butter after eating some. Just gonna let all that mouth bacteria grow in the uncovered peanut butter.

Bold of you to assume she's using a spoon.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i know a couple who will get 2 queen bed hotel room over a single king so that one partner has a snacking bed.

Glad to know Mr. and Mrs. roast chicken and garlic mashed potatoes have managed to work things out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Boomer & Karen

mystes
May 31, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Gotta get it for the 'gram! Don't most gyms have a "no recording other people" policy, anyway? I don't go to any since I don't like working out in public, but that was my general perception.
Yeah I think that is generally the case

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grace Park always reminds me of my friend's insane mid 2000's korean co-worker who claimed that "the west" only casts ugly korean actors in roles as part of a smearing and degrading campaign against the korean people. There were a few other american/canadian born actors and celebrities of korean background that he'd also rage about being so vile and ugly. How clearly "they" hand picked the most grotesque examples of korean women to present to the world. And in every case they were perfectly normal or in fact quite good looking people who just were not plastic surgeried up to to the exact and insane local korean beauty standards.

He was also a borderline incel but blamed it all on being asian, specially korean, and how he was a victim of the international smear campaign against korean people.

Ogma
Jun 6, 2003

Let the festivities commence!

Invisible Clergy posted:

If she's clearing PB jars and not using a spoon, it does go a fair way to explain why they're still with her.

After all, a friend did land his wife by showing her he could lick the dregs out of the bottom of a Nutella jar.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

drat we starting a new thread already? i still had 67000 posts to read in the old one

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Invisible Clergy posted:

quote:

...None of these tubs have lids, they are always open with a spoon in it...

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Grace Park always reminds me of my friend's insane mid 2000's korean co-worker who claimed that "the west" only casts ugly korean actors in roles as part of a smearing and degrading campaign against the korean people. There were a few other american/canadian born actors and celebrities of korean background that he'd also rage about being so vile and ugly. How clearly "they" hand picked the most grotesque examples of korean women to present to the world. And in every case they were perfectly normal or in fact quite good looking people who just were not plastic surgeried up to to the exact and insane local korean beauty standards.

He was also a borderline incel but blamed it all on being asian, specially korean, and how he was a victim of the international smear campaign against korean people.

He was right. The finns play the long game.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Corky, can you explain the rule about reposts more in the OP? It just says "Tuesday" which wouldn't mean anything to someone who doesn't already follow the thread.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its an easy quick 6er to learn

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

I wish more parents would think about how the name they think is so cool or quirky or deeply meaningful to them in them in the moment will affect their kid in the future. Name based bullying can be intense.

When I was around 12 my uncle was having a kid and actually got some of the older cousins together to run some of their chosen names by us to see how kids would react. Some of the names absolutely invited bullying and lovely nicknames or rhymed with something rude. He took those names off their list.

Well it's hard to predict "My parents will bully you for a name nobody else seems to care about and you even like" re: Astrea.

Harlot's another story.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Baronjutter posted:

I wish more parents would think about how the name they think is so cool or quirky or deeply meaningful to them in them in the moment will affect their kid in the future. Name based bullying can be intense.

When I was around 12 my uncle was having a kid and actually got some of the older cousins together to run some of their chosen names by us to see how kids would react. Some of the names absolutely invited bullying and lovely nicknames or rhymed with something rude. He took those names off their list.

It's not just the first and/or middle name that should be considered, but how it goes with the last name. For example, neither name, or nickname derivatives thereof, should ever rhyme with the last name. The kid will end up with insults in the form of rhyming couplets that are easily chanted by the entire class.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Apparently, in most places, you have a grace period to change the name on a birth certificate without having to involve the courts, so Harlot mom could easily fix this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The_Franz posted:

Apparently, in most places, you have a grace period to change the name on a birth certificate without having to involve the courts, so Harlot mom could easily fix this.
A Grayse period if you will

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Solid username.

Content!

AITAH for telling my sister to leave me and my family alone

quote:

I 28 F have a younger sister Ann who is 27. Liam, 28 M has been my best friend since elementary school. The three of us went to the same college and during this time Ann asked me to hook her and Liam up so I did and after Ann graduated college they were married. I was the maid of honor and did everything for her so she wasn’t insecure in the fact that Liam and I were close.

During my time in college I met Noah and got married after I graduated. Him and my sister ended up working at the same company. For three years everything was going great. Me and my sister was pregnant at the same time so our kids are the same age and do everything together.

Two years ago, I wanted to surprise my husband on his birthday. He wanted to just stay home and watch football. I told him I had to work, that way I was able to pick up his favorite things. I got home and seen my sisters car, I went in and found them on the couch cheating on me and Liam. I hurried and took pictures before screaming at them to get out of my house.

My sister begged me not to tell Liam but I already texted him and my husband gave all the cheating excuses.

My parents were extremely mad at her but didn’t want to cut Ann off because of their grandson which was understandable. Me and Liam of course filed for divorce and he was my shoulder to cry on.

I guess Noah and Ann got together because they started posting pictures on Instagram. I would have been depressed if it weren’t for Liam. And eventually our relationship turned into something more. During this time my ex kept texting me saying how sorry he was and Ann was a mistake and he hates her.

I ignored him and as soon as our divorces was final me and Liam went to the courthouse to get married. I posted the ring on Instagram and my sister showed up immediately to our house, crying. She asked how we can do this to her.

I explained if she didn’t ruin both our marriages then nobody would be in this predicament. She said sorry and broke down even more and then threw up so I invited her in and helped clean her off.

She couldn’t stop saying how much she hates herself and that she hopes me and Liam are happy but asked if I can get an annulment so she could try to win her family back. I laughed in her face and said this is my family now and if that is your goal you need to leave us alone.

I told her it’s time to leave and she did. But she keeps sending me text asking if i can get the annulment. My dad and older brother are on my side but my mom thinks it was too soon and that I’m rubbing the marriage in my sisters face.
An annulment! LOL, eat poo poo sis.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FMguru posted:

Solid username.

Content!

I can almost hear the chants of "Jer-ry! Jer-ry! Jer-ry!" while reading this.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

That's a fantastic story for a new thread. Go gal and Liam!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

FMguru posted:

Solid username.

Content!

quote:

my mom thinks it was too soon and that I’m rubbing the marriage in my sisters face

I feel like mom isn't wrong here. "As soon as the divorce was final" marriages aren't known for working out long term. Also, I feel exhausted just trying to imagine explaining the family dynamics to the kids when they are older.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
my name is literally Karen, and none of the nursery/preschool kids I work with have batted an eyelid, it must be a very regional thing for it to be used casually as a swear/slur.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

my name is literally Karen, and none of the nursery/preschool kids I work with have batted an eyelid, it must be a very regional thing for it to be used casually as a swear/slur.
I feel like it peaked during covid and it's already in the process of slowly dying as slang

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

wheatpuppy posted:

I feel like mom isn't wrong here. "As soon as the divorce was final" marriages aren't known for working out long term. Also, I feel exhausted just trying to imagine explaining the family dynamics to the kids when they are older.

Aunt Mommy and Uncle Daddy, what's so hard about that?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

wheatpuppy posted:

Yeah, that's the weird part. I can't imagine getting together with someone who's already been in the family, just in terms of my own feelings, never mind having to deal with future awkwardness around the familial dynamics.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
My (35M) gf (35F) tells her coworkers that we are cousins

quote:

My gf and I have been together for 6 years. She keeps hinting at wanting to get married and talking about what her wedding will be like someday.

So I've decided to take the hint. I bought an engagement ring a week ago and am planning to pop the question sometime soon.

Well, over the weekend she had a work function. This was the first time she's invited me along. I'm not super outgoing, but I was kind of looking forward to meeting all these coworkers she talks about so much.

For some reason, every time we talked to someone, she introduced me as her "cousin". I thought it was a joke at first, but she kept at the whole day.

When we were driving home I asked her what that was all about, and she said she "didn't want people to have the wrong impression". When I asked what that meant, she said she didn't want to talk about it anymore, and I shouldn't be so upset. She then switched the conversation to her favorite TV show.

Why would she introduce me as her cousin? Should I insist on her telling me why she did that before I propose?

UPDATE - My (35M) gf (35F) tells her coworkers that we are cousins

quote:

There was a lot of good feedback to my question (although some of it was fairly mean).

I decided to give her a call and be very blunt with her. I asked her if she was cheating, and she seemed very confused. When I pressed, she got angry and told me that she's always been faithful to her boyfriend. Now it was my turn to be confused, and I asked who her boyfriend was.

Long story short, she's been dating another guy for the past year. She has been hoping he would propose (hence all the wedding talk). Apparently she's never thought of me as her boyfriend. I misread that badly.

She kept alternating between very apologetic, saying "I am SOOOO sorry if I gave you the wrong impression" and "How could you have POSSIBLY thought we were together?"

Well sir, I feel pretty stupid right now. But on the bright side, I'm glad I found out now before proposing. Now THAT would have been awkward. I just got done signing up for a new Match.com account. This evening, I'm going to return the ring I had bought. Hoping for a better day tomorrow.

TLDR: I thought my long time gf was acting strange introducing me as her cousin. Turns out I'm an idiot and am not actually her bf.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: because some of you were asking,, no we were not having sex. I'm asexual and don't really like sex

quote:

We would say "love you", but looking back now, it was more a friendly thing. Kind of like a "love you guys!"

We would hang out a lot and share a lot of our feelings. We sometimes would go to a movie together or grab dinner with just the 2 of us. But often times, we did things together as a group.

One time that sticks out is she organized a "double date". Looking back now, I realize that I was actually supposed to be on a date with the other girl, while she was with her bf. That explains a lot now, like why the other girl kept brushing up against me and stuff and why she seemed really sullen at the end of the double date. Man, I'm such an idiot...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

wheatpuppy posted:

Yeah, traumatic rebound relationships aren't built on the solidest foundation so OP probably should have slowed her roll a bit.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

wheatpuppy posted:

It doesn't sound like the sister and husband #1 are going to be together for long, so that takes at least a few layers out of the explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Just wait if sis was cheating on husband when they got pregnant, and all the kids are the ex's!