Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'm lucky to have not had a lovely relationship with my brother, nor my wife with her sister, so all of this stuff is extremely foreign to me, but it also seems that a lot of these people also think they have good, loving sibling relationships until they the day they come home unexpectedly. drat that sentence got away from me.

I love my sisters-in-law, but also um gross?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sometimes you just come home to find someone stick in the dryer.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

wheatpuppy posted:

My (35M) gf (35F) tells her coworkers that we are cousins

UPDATE - My (35M) gf (35F) tells her coworkers that we are cousins

I genuinely feel bad for this person and hope they learn to read social cues and situations better one way or another.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

ApplesandOranges posted:

Update: Ex-friend 34F asked me 35M about our relationship over 10 years ago. How to respond?

I actually said "Jesus gently caress" out loud in Timmy Ho's when I read the unspoilered part.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

wheatpuppy posted:

OP is a special kind of fool, but introducing someone as your cousin when they aren't related to you is odd

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

OP is a special kind of fool, but introducing someone as your cousin when they aren't related to you is odd

Not if you work with toxic gossiping coworkers who are going to talk about or harass you because you brought "a friend" to your work party instead of your boyfriend. I wouldn't care if a friend of mine introduced me that way.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

wheatpuppy posted:

I'm not real up on how the het and mono dating world handles things, but aren't you supposed to to either be banging or have a 'we're not having sex with anyone, we're saving that for us' conversation with someone before you consider yourself exclusive? Asking someone who you're not having sex with if they're cheating on you just seems weird to me, like if I was playing chess with one person and asked someone else if she was cheating at the chess game she's not even in.

Since dude is ace and misses social cues, I hope he picks up a habit of explicitly negotiating whether he's in a relationship or not, otherwise this won't be the last experience with that kind of awkward conversation.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Maybe they live in like Utah or something? I can't imagine thinking I'm in a relationship if I haven't had sex with them yet. Did they ever even kiss??

I have coworkers who I'm close to and we say "love you" to each other and never once have I read that as anything but platonic.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwely Mernans posted:

Maybe they live in like Utah or something? I can't imagine thinking I'm in a relationship if I haven't had sex with them yet. Did they ever even kiss??

I have coworkers who I'm close to and we say "love you" to each other and never once have I read that as anything but platonic.

Well... are you ace? because that's lost him one relationship cue.

He says they kissed, but she's from a culture that kisses a lot.

Personally I can't imagine thinking I'm in a relationship if we never talked about it directly

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 2, 2024

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Isn’t the cousins one a very clear tag on to a “my friend thinks we’ve been dating for years” relationships post a few weeks ago?

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Spiteful Sister posted:

asked if I can get an annulment so she could try to win her family back. I laughed in her face and said this is my family now

Her new trauma-marriage probably won't last but lmao.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Baronjutter posted:

I wish more parents would think about how the name they think is so cool or quirky or deeply meaningful to them in them in the moment will affect their kid in the future. Name based bullying can be intense.

When I was around 12 my uncle was having a kid and actually got some of the older cousins together to run some of their chosen names by us to see how kids would react. Some of the names absolutely invited bullying and lovely nicknames or rhymed with something rude. He took those names off their list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiQiTz3KWCE

robyn-
Jan 31, 2024

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I'm not real up on how the het and mono dating world handles things, but aren't you supposed to to either be banging or have a 'we're not having sex with anyone, we're saving that for us' conversation with someone before you consider yourself exclusive? Asking someone who you're not having sex with if they're cheating on you just seems weird to me, like if I was playing chess with one person and asked someone else if she was cheating at the chess game she's not even in.

Since dude is ace and misses social cues, I hope he picks up a habit of explicitly negotiating whether he's in a relationship or not, otherwise this won't be the last experience with that kind of awkward conversation.

this is how i understand the conditions that constitute a relationship, and i miss every social cue there is, there has to be dialogue about where you stand where the other person eg exclusivity

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

wheatpuppy posted:

we're definitely in a relationship because we do things that only couples do like ummmmmmmmmmmmm

or that time we clearly discussed uhhhhhhhh

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Isn’t the cousins one a very clear tag on to a “my friend thinks we’ve been dating for years” relationships post a few weeks ago?

That post was what reminded me of the cousins one, but the cousin one is from a couple years ago.

DrNut
Jan 17, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I wish more parents would think about how the name they think is so cool or quirky or deeply meaningful to them in them in the moment will affect their kid in the future. Name based bullying can be intense.

When I was around 12 my uncle was having a kid and actually got some of the older cousins together to run some of their chosen names by us to see how kids would react. Some of the names absolutely invited bullying and lovely nicknames or rhymed with something rude. He took those names off their list.

Your uncle is cool and wise. My parents were hippy dipshits who saddled me with a name you might think is cute for a colicky baby or a petite dog, but calling an adult man with a mortgage and 401k my name is just loving weird. My friends all know my name, but if I'm introduced to someone with whom I'm not likely to interact again, I'm just John. Parents should take a minute to think about the name they're hanging on this adult human for the rest of their life.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

It takes $300 and five minute in front of a judge to change your name. The judge that okayed my name change was named Kirby Kongable and he was very sympathetic. Go change your names, goons!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Scathach posted:

It takes $300 and five minute in front of a judge to change your name. The judge that okayed my name change was named Kirby Kongable and he was very sympathetic. Go change your names, goons!

Depends on your state, I didn't even have to talk to a judge, just 145 bucks and briught the papers to the courthouse and left.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
When you have a chance to turn a celebration of your love and future together with your partner into also being a chance to humiliate your one too-pretty friend you've always hated, well you just have to take it.

AITAH for refusing to attend my best friend's wedding because she wants me to wear an oversized suit (I'm a woman) ?

quote:

Rita (29F) and I (31F) have been best friends for nearly a decade, but ever since she announced she was getting married our friendship has been unraveling at supersonic speed, starting with her picking her sister in law to be her maid of honor even though they barely knew each other. I've been getting over all of the shenanigans she's been pulling by saying that it's her wedding, her rules, but this one is the straw that broke the camel's back. Friday she revealed what dresses she picked for the bridesmaids: very lovely green gowns. She then took me aside and requested that unlike the other bidesmaids, I wear a suit. Not just any suit, but one she picked herself which was an oversized, badly tailored green suit that honestly looked like something the riddler would wear if he had to shop in a Gotham goodwill on a tight budget. I'm not talking trendy oversized, I'm talking a 10 times too big, badly tailored men's suit.

Her reasoning was that me being in a dress at her wedding would make her uncomfortable and she would overthink that I was drawing too much attention because of my body shape. I'm a small woman with big "assests" and an exxagerated hourglass figure, there's nothing I can do about it it's just how the women in my family are built, and if anything I wear loose clothing to avoid any unwanted remarks or attention and because I'm not the biggest fan of how I look. I've never worn a suit in my life, but I tried to reason with her and ask if I could pick the one I had to wear myself but she refused. I floated like 10 dresses by her, which were very unflattering on me and loose as hell, but she still refused. I told her me being dressed like a clown would be what would actually attract the attention, but she's adamant that's the only solution.

So I tore off the bandaid myself and told her I wasn't coming to her wedding, since there was no way I was going to wear what she wanted me to. She accused me of being selfish, uncaring, and vain. I live in a small town and news of this traveled fast since her soon to be husband thought it was appropriate to spread the info to anybody and everybody. A couple of people have made some passive agressive remarks saying I should basically suck it up since she's been a great friend towards me for a decade, which is true.

I feel like poo poo since I've just lost my one best friend over something so stupid, but at the same time I feel like the whole thing is humiliating with how outrageous it is. AITA reddit? Should I have tried to reason more ?
OP should attend the wedding as a guest, wearing some kind of stunning tight gold lame outfit that really draws attention away from the bride.

Scathach posted:

Go change your names, goons!
Pnurtis P. Pnurtis, checking in.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Scathach posted:

Go change your names, goons!

But I like having a generic name that I share with half a dozen people in the county, it means anything dumb I get blamed for I can always say was a different person.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I changed my full name but now the bank always questions purchases by a Grey Cat.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

When you have a chance to turn a celebration of your love and future together with your partner into also being a chance to humiliate your one too-pretty friend you've always hated, well you just have to take it.

AITAH for refusing to attend my best friend's wedding because she wants me to wear an oversized suit (I'm a woman) ?

OP should attend the wedding as a guest, wearing some kind of stunning tight gold lame outfit that really draws attention away from the bride.

OP should first try on the outfit, take pictures, put it up next to the pictures of the bridesmaids dress, and say "Y'all really think this isn't a problem?" If any friends still act lovely over it, they aren't friends.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

FMguru posted:

Wtf is it about weddings that drive people insane? I don't get it. Who cares if your friend has mondo titties, roll with that poo poo.

Absolutely voting for a gold catsuit for the wedding.

Lol Pnurtis

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Other way around, the cousins one is from august 2022.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New player in speed running to estrangement has entered the field:

AITA for finding it unfair that my dad told me that I had to pay rent or move out at 18 but didn't tell my brothers the same thing at 18?

quote:

I (17M) made this account because I think my dad is being unfair despite every one i asked telling me he's not. I talked to my family about it for support and they were unsupportive and actually called me ungrateful.

I turn 18 April 21st and my dad told me that he wants me to start paying rent after I turn 18 or I'll have to move out. This made me upset because both of my brothers weren't forced to move out or had to pay rent when they turned 18.

My oldest brother (25M) only moved out 2 years ago and my other brother (22M) still lives with us. I told him this and he told me that he knows and he made a mistake when raising them and he wasn't gonna make the same one with me.

I asked my dad if he was saying this to my brother (22M) and he told me that he wasn't because he was unemployed and if he were to kick him out he'll be homeless. I asked my dad why he cares about him not being homeless but is ready to make me homeless.

He told me that he'll help me find an apartment and will co sign the lease if I choose to move out. I asked my dad why he wouldn't just do this for my brother instead but he told me that he doesn't trust him which just pissed me off more. I feel like I'm getting punished for being well behaved.

I explained this to my dad and told him that if he would've parented better he wouldn't have to force all his regrets on me. My dad got upset with me and told me that I was being unfair and that I know how hard he tried to raise all of us and I can't fault him for everything when he tried his best.

I tried to call my family to try and have them convince my dad that he was the one being unfair but they told me that I should be grateful my dad cares about me and that they agree with him. They told me his only fault is letting (22M) and (25M) stay as long as they did and they are glad he wasn't gonna enable me?!

I DID NOTHING WRONG. I genuinely feel like I'm getting punished for my brothers actions and I don't find that fair at all.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Scathach posted:

Wtf is it about weddings that drive people insane? I don't get it. Who cares if your friend has mondo titties, roll with that poo poo.

Absolutely voting for a gold catsuit for the wedding.

Lol Pnurtis

Gold is visually striking, but it should be a black catsuit. Instead of the Riddler, she could go as Catwoman.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Corky, can you explain the rule about reposts more in the OP? It just says "Tuesday" which wouldn't mean anything to someone who doesn't already follow the thread.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Grey Cat posted:

I changed my full name but now the bank always questions purchases by a Grey Cat.

Santos L. Halper

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Corky, can you explain the rule about reposts more in the OP? It just says "Tuesday" which wouldn't mean anything to someone who doesn't already follow the thread.

I've followed the thread for years and I didn't understand the reference at all

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've followed the thread for years and I didn't understand the reference at all

You'll understand when it happens to you.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Personally, I think the Tuesday rule ought to be waived if the offense does, in fact, occur on a Tuesday

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

FMguru posted:

Rita, since I'm 6'3", and maintain a very consistent panda bear shape, I love your Talking Heads wedding theme idea.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The existence of "Big John" implies there was once a "little john". I hope he's doing well.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BrigadierSensible posted:

The existence of "Big John" implies there was once a "little john". I hope he's doing well.

I heard he's okay. Took up with a bunch of guys who hang around Sherwood Forest.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hughlander posted:

AITA for finding it unfair that my dad told me that I had to pay rent or move out at 18 but didn't tell my brothers the same thing at 18?

Depending on where this is, throwing a kid out on the street the second they turn 18 isn't legal if they are still in school.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quackles posted:

I heard he's okay. Took up with a bunch of guys who hang around Sherwood Forest.

Merry men are waiting in the forest for you. Call now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hughlander posted:

Just say no. What's he going to do?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

Just say no. What's he going to do?

Destroy everything he owns while he's at school?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

its an easy quick 6er to learn
Yeah I think the best approach is to just let people do their thing and zap em when they act inappropriately.

Anyway here's some content:

I [23f] created a 1:1 scale puppet version of my boyfriend [22m] and showed it to him during foreplay as a joke. Now he hasn’t texted me in 12 hours and I’m starting to get worried. How do I get him to text me back?

quote:

The title pretty much says it all, but here are some more details: my boyfriend of six months and I have had a pretty cut and dry relationship up to this point. I’ve always been what some people would call “quirky,” so pranks are sort of my bread and butter. He, John, has expressed that he really likes this part of me and I’m just happy to be with someone who can handle all of my zest, lol! Sometimes I worry that he doesn’t actually think I’m as funny as he says, but he always reassures me that this is not the case. One of the ways we really like to express our humor to each other is in the bedroom, for example I love to do impressions of mostly Disney characters (such as the “paperwork” lady from Monsters Inc, haha). He sometimes does them too, but he’s not that good at voices.

So here’s where I think I may have taken it too far: I recently bought a sewing machine to try and make cosplay costumes and stuff, but something dawned on me as I was messing around with it. This was the plan:

We oftentimes sexytimes with a habitual back rub massage sort of thing, and we switch off. And then we progress into french kissing and then full blown you know what. One very important fact to tell you is that John does in fact wear glasses, so I will usually make a point to take them off and put them on the table for safety. During this particular romp in the hay, I got a really funny idea about how to take his glasses off next time and I couldn’t stop laughing. He asked me what I was laughing at because he has some insecurity about his appearance, but I assured him that it was nothing like that. We had our fun and John went home, but all I could think about was this plan.

So the next day I went to the fabric store and bought a bunch of skin colored felt and wire framing and cotton and got to work creating a muppet-style version of my boyfriend to put his glasses on next time we started getting dirty style. Honestly, the thing was looking pretty good and I even found some clothes at Goodwill that were his style. I dressed the puppet in the clothes, hid them under my collection of squishmallows that’s in my room, and invited him over.

To spare you all the explicit details, we did start kissing and taking clothes off and stuff, but my hands were shaking as I reached up to grab his glasses. Instead of putting it on my nightstand I made a point to say something like “I’m just gonna put these riiiiight here” as I stretched over to the squishmallow that was covering the puppet boyfriend’s head and put the glasses right over his felt eyes. He got confused I think and looked back to where I put the glasses and sat up, as a felt version of his face (very easily identifiable by the way, John has red hair and a mustache, so the glasses on top left little question of who this could be). He was silent for a second then said “is that supposed to be me?” as I was laughing. I said something like “do you like it?” as I took it out of the squishmallow pile and revealed the entirety of muppet John.

“Oh did you make that?” he asked, and I stood it up off the bed and asked him to stand next to it. “See? It’s just like you basically!” I said, but he still wasn’t laughing that much. I think he saw that the muppet ended up being just a little bit taller than him (he’s 5’7 and probably insecure about that, the muppet ended up accidentally being a little taller than him, around 6’1 based on seeing them side by side).

I noticed his disappointment and did a tried and true disney impression to make him feel better. In my best Goofy impression I said “Well, looks like we should call him Big, John, Hyuck!” John just took the glasses off of Big John and let him fall to the floor, and put the glasses on the nightstand and sat on the bed for a while but we eventually went to Sin city but it was a lot more quiet than usual. He left after that, even though we were planning on having a sleepover, he said he wasn’t feeling good. I texted him goodnight and went to bed.

So here’s the ish: this morning I haven’t gotten any good morning text, or any texts at all from him, even though he always sends me a good morning text. I’m worried that Big John was a step too far and that normal john didn’t think the joke was as funny as I did. I feel like he’s just putting me in an uncomfortable position by not telling me how this made him really feel, even though I thought it was pretty funny… Is this salvageable or am I effed?

tl;dr : Created a life-sized puppet of my boyfriend to put his glasses on. But, I think it made him insecure, and now he wont text me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Call Your Grandma posted:

Yeah I think the best approach is to just let people do their thing and zap em when they act inappropriately.

Anyway here's some content:

I [23f] created a 1:1 scale puppet version of my boyfriend [22m] and showed it to him during foreplay as a joke. Now he hasn’t texted me in 12 hours and I’m starting to get worried. How do I get him to text me back?

BIG JOHN RETURNS