Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
"My teeth with regrow! I am sharklike and powerful!" was a thread title for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

She's just uptight and worried her son's girlfriend is secretly polyphyodont

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

The Alchemist posted:

Girls who grew up in the south and arent ready for the Big City Life apparently(by the way, is it mentioned which city this took place in?)
A man is not a man unless he is covered in pig poo poo and only wears old broken jeans and a wife beater with cum stains in the front. These are the type of girls who would break up if you DO wash your rear end

after the worst date of my life, with a girl who was talking about sandy hook being a false flag less than three weeks after it happened, she reached out to the friend and told her that I was too sensitive and the shirt I was wearing was "too loud". It was a regular button up and this has stuck with me ever since.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

"My teeth with regrow! I am sharklike and powerful!" was a thread title for a while.

I wrote "You will come back stronger! You are sharklike and powerful!" on the card I sent to a work friend who was getting a prosthetic leg fitted after being in a wheelchair for some years.

Next time I saw him I asked how he was doing and he said "SHARKLIKE AND POWERFUL" in some triumph. It is clearly a motto that speaks to all of us, on a deep and primal level

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ominous Jazz posted:

after the worst date of my life, with a girl who was talking about sandy hook being a false flag less than three weeks after it happened, she reached out to the friend and told her that I was too sensitive and the shirt I was wearing was "too loud". It was a regular button up and this has stuck with me ever since.

big May birthday energy

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i was born in august :(

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Ominous Jazz posted:

Were you wearing corduroy pants and she thought the zwiiip zwiiip sound when you walked was coming from your shirt?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AITA for asking my parents to cut me completely out of their will.

quote:

I am the only woman in my family. Besides my mother obviously. I have three older brothers. The youngest of them is not neurotypical due to a TBI as a child.

My parents are getting older and trying to figure out what to do when they cannot care for my brother. They had us all over for dinner last weekend.

They said that they wanted to sell me the house now at a very low price and in return I would be responsible for my brother. I have considered this in the past. Not the house, the taking care of my brother. My husband and I would love to have a house now instead of never. So I agreed to the proposal. My brother gets a disability check from his settlement and that is enough to pay for all his wants and needs.

My other brothers both got irate that I would be getting a house and access to my brother's money. It started a huge fight.

I ended the fight the most expedient way I could think of. I backed out of the deal. I said that we did not want to be the cause of discord in our family so instead I said that we wanted nothing from my parents and no responsibility whatsoever for my brother. I said that my other brothers could get all the money and all the work.

Then I left. I was really disappointed because I know my parents want to enjoy their retirement and I know how to take care of my brother.
Now everyone is calling me to say that I misunderstood and that of course I should take care of my brother in his home where he is most comfortable.

I do not want the drama and I am not changing my mind.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Top comment on a boring AITA post about a wedding:

quote:

ESH - Why are so many of these threads about weddings? I'm going to get married in a goddamned mcdonald's parking lot at this rate, and anyone who can sneak in a 40oz in a paper bag is invited.

You're both the rear end in a top hat because it's literally one goddamned day in your entire lives. And you're ruining weeks and months of time, effort, and money over it. For no reason other than hype. Step back. Take a breath. And make a call. Go, or don't.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

"No, no, you misunderstood. We want you to do all the work to care of your brother, we just don't want you to have the house or the money."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well the parents wanted her to have the house and money at least

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Smart move. The youngest brother's money is likely in some sort of conservatorship and her dickhead oldest brothers could make her life pretty miserable questioning the appropriateness of every financial decision she made for him, so even if they completely capitulated now there's no guarantee she would ever have peace.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AITA for reporting my PhD advisor’s really cruel prank to my university?

quote:

I’m a 25F PhD student in Computer Science. I’ve been in this program for three years, and up until now, my relationship with my PhD advisor had been pretty positive and professional. However, a recent incident has left me completely shaken, and I reported him to the university. Some of my peers think I overreacted, so I’m here to get some unbiased opinions.

My project involves developing complex algorithms for data analysis, which requires substantial computational resources. My advisor has been supportive, providing access to the university's high-performance computing cluster to run my experiments. A couple of weeks ago, he called me into his office for a routine update meeting. During the meeting, he told me that there had been a severe issue with the computing cluster and that my latest set of experiments had caused a significant data breach. He explained that because of the breach, personal data from thousands of university staff and students were compromised.

I was horrified. He went on to detail how my negligence had not only put the university at risk but also mentioned that legal actions might be taken against me. I was in tears, believing that I had unintentionally caused a massive data breach, potentially ruining my career and facing legal consequences.

After about an hour of discussing the ramifications and watching me become increasingly distressed, he finally revealed that it was all a “joke.” He laughed it off, saying he wanted to see how I would handle stress and pressure. I was stunned and couldn't believe that he would find it funny to deceive me about something so serious.

I felt humiliated and betrayed. After taking a day to collect myself, I reported the incident to the university's ethics committee, explaining that his “prank” was not only cruel but also incredibly unprofessional. My advisor has since been reprimanded, and this has created tension between us and even within the department.

Some of my peers believe I overreacted and that I should have just taken it as a harsh joke. They think reporting him has made the department atmosphere awkward and strained. I feel like my trust was broken, and I had to stand up for myself. Was I the rear end in a top hat here for reporting him?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
PhD advisors are small business owners with tenure.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Admiral Joeslop posted:

AITA for reporting my PhD advisor’s really cruel prank to my university?

Not an rear end in a top hat. And you know what would have made the atmosphere less awkward and strained? If they just fired that rear end in a top hat, instead of having him stick around.

I had two advisors that I loved, and I tell everyone that we've literally never had a single bad meeting in all my PhD years. But I've also represented PhD students at the institution level, and holy poo poo the horror stories I've heard over the years.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Holy poo poo, an hour?! He let her stew for an hour before he admitted it was a 'prank' and an 'experiment'? Also, I'm pretty sure that the university's ethics board would love to hear details about that experiment.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I left working in STEM education because of how brutal dudes in software engineering were to female students and that advisor should’ve been fired

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

Holy poo poo, an hour?! He let her stew for an hour before he admitted it was a 'prank' and an 'experiment'? Also, I'm pretty sure that the university's ethics board would love to hear details about that experiment.
Where are you seeing that he said it was an experiment? If he did maybe OP could report him to the IRB too though, that would be fun

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

mystes posted:

Where are you seeing that he said it was an experiment? If he did maybe OP could report him to the IRB too though, that would be fun

quote:

He laughed it off, saying he wanted to see how I would handle stress and pressure.

Either he did this as some kind of experiment in which case it's an ethics board issue or he's just a sadist and shouldn't be in any position of power over anyone ever.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I remember there was 1 story about a teenager being shipped off to his grandparents, and he couldn't figure out why and nobody would tell him. I don't think that one ever got updated either.

I think this thread needs the gurglespurts story too unless I missed it being posted.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for being honest and telling my daughter that her wedding is a running joke of what not to do if you marry in our family/friend group.

quote:

My daughter got married about a year ago. She spent about 20k on her wedding, it was a wonderful experience for her but for all the guest it really sucked. All the money went to thinks the couple would enjoy.

The reasons it sucked for the guest was due to multiple factors. The biggest ones being that guest has to buy food, drinks, and no entertainment. So people get to the wedding and the ceremony happens. Then they go put into another room after a long day of driving out, don’t get any food/ drink. Most of them were forced to buy overpriced food since they were starving. They didn’t even get any cake since the cake was a fake. Overall not a good guest experience.

Afterwards it was negatively talked about and people were actually quite mad about it. My other daughter is getting married and asked for my help. Her sister offered to help and my other daughter made it clear she doesn’t want her wedding to be anything like hers.

My daughter asked what she meant by that and I was honest with her. That her wedding wasn’t a good experience for guests and it is a running joke at this point with family/friends. I thought she already knew since a lot of people hated her wedding.

This caused an arguement and she called me a jerk by the end. I pointed out all the issues had with her wedding and she thinks I am being cruel.

Edit: the money basically went to her dress, venue and photos. I know her dress was 6k. The venue was pricy and she didn’t get the food package

I was not part of the wedding planning I was having medical issues

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'd also request the Timothy story.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Kurieg posted:

AITA for being honest and telling my daughter that her wedding is a running joke of what not to do if you marry in our family/friend group.

It is hosed up to at the very least not feed your guests. I personally would not have a wedding without an open bar but that’s up to preference I guess.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Kurieg posted:

I'm dying to know what they spent $20,000 on if not entertainment, food, alcohol, or even a loving cake.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm dying to know what they spent $20,000 on if not entertainment, food, alcohol, or even a loving cake.
It said at the bottom

quote:

Edit: the money basically went to her dress, venue and photos. I know her dress was 6k. The venue was pricy and she didn’t get the food package

But it's incredible to spend that much money and still make guests pay for their own food

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I somehow completely missed the edit at the bottom, IATA.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Gosh, how could this guy possibly be an rear end in a top hat?

AITA for making the Age of Empires 2 'new villager' sound when my wife gave birth to our first child?

quote:

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

Just over a week ago, my wife gave birth to our first child. I got called about it during work and rushed to the hospital to be with her during the labour. It was obviously a very stressful time, as it took more than 15 hours from start to the end, but finally our little one was born and was healthy.

I was in the room for nearly the entire time (other than briefly heading out for food, toilet etc), holding her hand and being the 'punching bag' as she swore during certain times during the worst of it. As it was getting towards the end, just as the head was coming out (and it all happened very quickly from then), more medical staff came into the room and I am someone who gets nervous around lots of people. I think because of that nervousness, I was talking a bit more, introducing myself to the new people coming in, making jokes (saying I hope it's not a bad omen that the weather is so bad, because a thunderstorm had started outside that we could hear) and then when our baby finally came out fully, at that second, I made the Age Of Empires 2 'new villager' sound ("Shhhh hoooh") as a joke, but I think only my wife understood the reference (as the doctor and nurses gave no reaction) and the look she gave me could have sunk a thousand ships, she looked so so angry, before then seeing our little one and finally smiling (but didn't look at me for about half an hour, and even then she was really annoyed for the rest of the day).

Anyway, I thought it was a joke that went down badly in a moment of high anxiety, but my wife has twice in the past week told me that I ruined a moment that she hoped would be one of the best in her life. I've apologised both times, but she has this look I've not seen before, something beyond disappointment. It's really put a downer on the past nine days of what I thought would be our happiest time together, after what was obviously a very stressful time (for her mostly, of course).

AITA?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for "being disrespectful" and telling my parents "good luck with that" when they tried to ground me?

quote:

I live at home while going to university. I'm in my final year and I have a job lined up after I graduate.

My parents have been charging me rent since I was 16. I have a small company that makes me about $60,000 a year. I started it in high school. It is one of the reasons I graduated early from high school and why I got attention from recruiters. My parents said that since I was earning adult money I could take in adult responsibilities.

I thought that was fair. So I paid for all my own stuff starting at age 16. Not university. I got a scholarship. And the rent they charged me was minor. $300 a month.

But I basically considered my room to be completely mine after that. I kept it tidy because I like it that way. But they had no say in when I cleaned it. When I did my laundry, other than to not do it at a time when I would disturb the family for example 3 AM. I bought food for myself and I ate when I wanted.

They tried to say I was separating myself from the family but I saw it more as having my own schedule.

This year for spring break I went down to Mexico with friends. My parents were upset because they were hosting a big Easter family get together.

When I got back they said I was behaving badly by not being around for a family gathering. I said it was my last spring break in university and that I was not responsible for their schedule.

They said I was grounded and I laughed and said good luck with that. I went to my room and locked the door. They tried banging on it for my attention but I'm done.

My grandfather came over to talk to me later. He is the one ho helped me get my company started and he is always there for me. He said that I was rude to my parents when they were trying to be there for me. I asked him how much rent he charged my mom when she lived at home. He said it was ridiculous to think he would charge his kids rent. I told him that I had been paying rent for four years.

He went into the house and I herd a fight. When he came out he said that I need to treat my parents with more respect but that since they are my landlords they do not have a say over how I spend my time.

I'm avoiding my parents for now and I'm renting on Airbnb right now until I graduate. I took everything that was important to me and I left $600 for the last two months I had planned on being there.

They keep calling me but I am currently getting ready to move for my new job. I don't have the energy to deal with them.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Kurieg posted:

quote:

Okay so 6k for the dress, photography can't be more than a few grand, so they paid ~10k for the venue? Now I really want to know what amazing place this wedding was held at.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skutter posted:

AITA for making the Age of Empires 2 'new villager' sound when my wife gave birth to our first child?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVPAjt_Er90

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

How would you even recognize that? I thought it was going to be the one that goes around yelling "lolololololol"

mystes
May 31, 2006

More importantly, read the comments on that video

or from another one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKQBTuXEWo0

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shanghaied posted:

Okay so 6k for the dress, photography can't be more than a few grand, so they paid ~10k for the venue? Now I really want to know what amazing place this wedding was held at.

Dollars to donuts a forced laborcamp (that they called a plantation)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ah yes, the Paula Deen special.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Skutter posted:

dudes rock

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Skutter posted:

Oh god I can see myself doing this. It's me, the hypothetical A

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If I was in that room I would think he was making fun of Lamaze breathing before a video game reference.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Skutter posted:

Try waving your arms and chanting "wololooo" at her, maybe she'll take your side

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Maybe the wife plays too, or knew about the planned joke, or knows the meme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Thank you for finding a bunch of classics. I’m going to put something together in the OP linking to all of these.

Can you write to the google doc? Think that should be the keeper of thread knowledge.