Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shanghaied posted:

A long one.

AITA for not getting upset or convince the bride after I was uninvited to my friend’s wedding?

Some clarifications: the OP and Matthew were never romantically involved in any way, and the dress shopping was for Matthew's sister, not the fiancée.
So Jennifer got mad after seeing OP in the dress and deciding that she will look better than her at the wedding, right? That's got to be in the top ten most common types of stories

This thread has convinced me we need to ban wedding ceremonies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If you ban weddings, only criminals will get married :smugdog:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

everyone keeps calling my stepdad sancho

Maybe your stepdad should stop following around that old man who hates windmills, then :colbert:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Kurieg posted:

AITAH for skipping my dad's retirement party because my mom asked me not to bring my son.

quote:

I would have kept my mouth shut if she had kept my name out of her mouth.

I love this expression and enjoy hearing it every time someone uses it.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

mystes posted:

So Jennifer got mad after seeing OP in the dress and deciding that she will look better than her at the wedding, right? That's got to be in the top ten most common types of stories

This thread has convinced me we need to ban wedding ceremonies

Who knows, redditors think that either Matthew mentioned to fiancée that he had a secret crush on OP in the past, or fiancée just feels that she has "won" after the engagement and doesn't have to be on best behaviour anymore, and is now picking off his female friends one by one, starting with the OP.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

the holy poopacy posted:

If you ban weddings, only criminals will get married :smugdog:

Finally, the straights can do crimes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shanghaied posted:

Who knows, redditors think that either Matthew mentioned to fiancée that he had a secret crush on OP in the past, or fiancée just feels that she has "won" after the engagement and doesn't have to be on best behaviour anymore, and is now picking off his female friends one by one, starting with the OP.

That sounds like a horror movie premise. It probably is one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ominous Jazz posted:

dang out teenage daughter isn't getting enough social time. rather than work with her and the other special needs groups, why not foist her on her brother. clearly a gaggle of teenage boys will be an endless reservoir of patience and kindness.
parents bad, teenage son struggling and can't be the parent his won't.
The older brother is also neurodivergent, it's just less obvious so nobody gives a poo poo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA For having my own secret honey stash?

quote:

Me 31 (M) and my partner 29 (F) have been living together for two years now. I like honey in my oatmeal. More specifically raw honey. Something about the flavor I just adore. So I always bought it even if it cost a bit more than regular.

But it just so happens apparently she decided this is "our" honey at one point last year. The little jar that used to last me two months went out in two weeks of her waffles. I wouldn't mind if we bought it together but I have to order it on amazon because no stores nearby sell the stuff.

I didn't want to seem like a cheapskate telling her to pay me for it so in february the next bottle I got I hid it in my desk where I usually take my breakfast. Yesterday she happen to caught me pouring it into the oatmeal.

She got upset saying it was childish not to share it at that we are adults.

But is not sharing if she is taking 80% of it and paying nothing for it.

Today she came demanding honey for her waffles and I told her "It is my honey" and like out of the bloody meme she went "OUR honey".

That started the discussion again.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Thread title nomination: Update. He's not mad at the moment. In fact he just came downstairs naked.

I think this one highlights how different people are about what they wear around the house. Some people are fully clothed all the time, some people wear 'house clothes' (like pajamas), some people wear just underwear, and another set actually go full-nude, and all groups seem to consider what the other ones do really weird. It's also something you don't know unless you talk about it, because the non-fully-clothed people usually put on normal clothes if they have guests over. It's always funny to read the surprise when people discover these different groups.

Also another linguistic quirk that usually adds to the surprise: some people who say 'naked' when they actually mean 'wearing only bottom underwear', so people who take 'naked' literally think of 'bare butt on the furniture' while others are like 'of course I have on panties/boxers, gross'.

EDIT:

Kurieg posted:

This is a good example of why I think you should live with someone before getting married. Whether it's 'our' honey or 'his' honey, and whether they should split the cost aren't really huge issues. But if you end up not being able to talk out something this minor, FFS don't get married then post six months later about how honey is destroying your new marriage.

Pantaloon Pontiff fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 30, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Thread title nomination: Update. He's not mad at the moment. In fact he just came downstairs naked.

I think this one highlights how different people are about what they wear around the house. Some people are fully clothed all the time, some people wear 'house clothes' (like pajamas), some people wear just underwear, and another set actually go full-nude, and all groups seem to consider what the other ones do really weird. It's also something you don't know unless you talk about it, because the non-fully-clothed people usually put on normal clothes if they have guests over. It's always funny to read the surprise when people discover these different groups.

Also another linguistic quirk that usually adds to the surprise: some people who say 'naked' when they actually mean 'wearing only bottom underwear', so people who take 'naked' literally think of 'bare butt on the furniture' while others are like 'of course I have on panties/boxers, gross'.

I thought this was pretty funny too: I don't get it. 31/F just looking to get naked all the time. AITA?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Shardix posted:

I enjoy how the parents have not considered the fact that the friends are going to reply to an invite with a unanimous gently caress No.
It's weird how many adults seem to think that children are tactical assets that they can deploy to solve issues in their own social lives.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
We're forcing you to hang out with your sister so surely other parents will force their kids to hang out with her too.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Kurieg posted:

On the one hand, "I have to order it on Amazon." What? How is that an excuse? Just order more honey next time from goddam Amazon. This is not hard!

On the other hand, how much loving waffles is this woman eating?

ESH.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I can only imagine she's using honey the way most people use Syrup, completely drenching the waffle until every square is filled.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wife Winnie the Pooh, so what?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Just a title:

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

keep punching joe posted:

Wife Winnie the Pooh, so what?

I'm certain that there's some sort of joke about the wife being in the public domain, but I can't get the pieces to fit

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I thought that was 21.

neither 21 nor 16 are prime

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Kurieg posted:

I can only imagine she's using honey the way most people use Syrup, completely drenching the waffle until every square is filled.

What do you think the little squares are for?

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

Definitely NTA. If it was some generic clover or wildflower honey that would be one thing, but buying a specific type is a different beast. Hell, if someone ate my entire bottle of buckwheat honey I'd be pretty pissed (and surprised).

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

hawowanlawow posted:

everyone keeps calling my stepdad sancho

I don’t get along with my stepdad because every woman he meets is “the most beautiful castellana in the world” and he promises to go questing on behalf of each and every one AITA

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What do you think the little squares are for?

They're for holding wonderful bites of peanut butter/nutella, the peak topping(s) (either together or separately, depending on the type of waffle) for waffles. Or I'm just a heathen in denial because I don't really like using honey as a topping generally (love cooking with it though, maybe that redeems me).

Also I had a hell of a time catching back up; gave up on catching up on the old thread, but I've mostly enjoyed the new one so far! Glad to know that the trend of weddings bringing out the weirdest poo poo in people is still going strong.

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

This is a good example of why I think you should live with someone before getting married.

Agreed, my partner and I have an agreement that we're not even allowed to formally propose until we've cohabitated for a year. That and we need time to save up money for even the proposal(s), let alone a wedding. It's absolutely best to get these growing pains out of the way now when marriage is a "future goal" because it also is probably better on one's psyche. "We're working on building the foundation for a long-term relationship like a marriage" sort of thing, instead of going "oh poo poo, what did I get myself into?" every time a lifestyle difference comes up.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Coffee Sludge posted:

Definitely NTA. If it was some generic clover or wildflower honey that would be one thing, but buying a specific type is a different beast. Hell, if someone ate my entire bottle of buckwheat honey I'd be pretty pissed (and surprised).

share the honey and buy more? or talk about the special honey? this is a fake problem

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA For “judging” my girlfriend’s social life, or lack of it?

quote:

My [25M] Girlfriend [23F] And I are approaching our third year together. As time went on, I realized that we have wildly different social lives. At first, I was fine with it, but as I’ve confided in my friends, they all are bringing up some valid points about some possible red flags.

I have a large group of friends that I’ve known since we were all kids. I have two different groups all containing at least 10 people in them. I’m from a smaller town, so everybody kind of knows each other. I see my buddies weekly at least. We hang out, go to the bar, play video games, see live music, and love to play sports. Typical stuff. My girlfriend is kind of quirky. She likes antiquing, shopping, libraries, and just things like that. I’m into night life.

My girlfriend on the other hand, well, she only has two friends. 3 if you consider one of the friend’s sister. They hang out maybe only once or twice a month. Sometimes I will stay with my friends for the weekend, and my girlfriend will be home alone. She will say things like “I have to figure out what I’m going to do.” Because her friends are busy. I told her if she started to branch out, she would have more chances with more people. But she didn’t seem to be receptive of it.

The argument happened Saturday when I was invited out to brunch with her and her friends. Her two friends have their own friends. My girlfriend doesn’t have friends outside of them. Which I find weird.

I told her after dinner, “Don’t you think it’s awkward that you are your two friends only friends? They all have branched out and that’s why they’re busy. Maybe try to meet some people”

She looked at me and seemed hurt. And told me that it’s not an issue for her.

I try to get my girlfriend to come out with my friends, but since none of them have girlfriends at the moment, she gets “uncomfortable” just because they get drunk and say things that are “guy like”. One of us ends up throwing up or whatever. But she drinks too so idk what the issue is. She’s always tired after 11PM.

I've been noticing some possible red flags in her behavior, like not wanting to go out drinking until we throw up

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Ominous Jazz posted:

share the honey and buy more? or talk about the special honey? this is a fake problem

But when I click to buy again I have to change the amount? How is this a reasonable amount of effort to put in for a person I supposedly love???

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

Maybe your stepdad should stop following around that old man who hates windmills, then :colbert:

idiotsavant posted:

I don’t get along with my stepdad because every woman he meets is “the most beautiful castellana in the world” and he promises to go questing on behalf of each and every one AITA

sancho is slang for a dude your girl is cheating with, I assume because of the character sancho

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been noticing some possible red flags in her behavior, like not wanting to go out drinking until we throw up

tell me some of these "guy like" things your friends say

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

He's from a small town, everyone spends their nights and weekends throwing up on people they've known since middle school

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL, eat poo poo "dad".

AITA for telling my dad that I could never love him again?

quote:

I (17f) was a product of one night stand that happened before my mom and dad got married. My mom had slept with her high school sweetheart when she saw him during her bachlorette party.

It was naturally assumed that I was my dad's kid since there was no reason to really suspect I wasn't. That is, until I was around 10 and my biological dad came back into town. He had gotten a job where my dad worked, and my mom was acting so cagey that even I, a usually oblivious kid had noticed that she was being weird.

I guess that combined with the fact my biological dad and I look quite similar made my dad get a DNA test, and it revealed that I wasn't his biological child. Hell broke lose after that, with my dad interrogating my mom who was stubbornly not saying a word until my dad threatened divorce and then my mom caved, and told the truth.

My dad divorced her anyways, and had my mom take full custody of me. He also told me that I wasn't his responsibility since I wasn't actually his kid, and to ask my real dad to take care of me, along with other poo poo that I'm not going to type out because it makes me want to put my fist into a wall.

My biological dad wanted nothing to due with me, and moved away months after the divorce finalized.

My dad had visitation but obviously never used it, and moved on with his current wife.

My mom blamed me for my dad divorcing her so she pretty much just handed me over to my aunt, who told her to stop using me as an emotional punching bag once she noticed that I was being mistreated.

We have had very little contact since then and I think of my aunt as my mom more than her.

Now here's where I might be an rear end in a top hat. My dad recently reached out to me, saying that he's been going to therapy and realized that he shouldn't have taken out his anger about my mom cheating on him out on me, and that he really wanted to reconnect with me.

I decided to meet up with him to politely tell him while I do appreciate that he acknowledges how he treated me was wrong, I have zero interest in him getting involved with my life and vice-versa.

He insisted we meet at his and his wife's house, despite me wanting to meet in public. His wife wasn't there at least, but it was still super awkward.

I tried to break it to him gently that I wasn't interested in being in his life again, but my dad refused to accept it. He was saying that we should be a family again, we could leave everything in the past, and that his wife really wanted to have me around.

He eventually said that he loved me so much, and that I shouldn't keep holding what I did against him since he learned that he was wrong to do so.

I kinda just snapped, since he kept steamrolling me and there was no actual apology for what he did, so I told him point blank that I could never love him again after what he did.

That shocked him into silence, and I took that as my chance to leave and drove back home, where I told my aunt what happened.

She was sympathetic for the most part, but suggested that I should apologize for telling my dad that I could never love him to clear the air, and then part ways.

It's been a couple days since this happened, and I haven't heard from my dad since then except for him texting me that his wife really wants to meet me without mentioning what I said. I didn't feel anything in the moment, but now I'm starting to feel guilty about what I did. AITA?
Dad sure has a funny way of showing that he "loves [OP] so much". The "no actual apology" is a telling detail.

The real explanation is in the final paragraph, where it is suddenly very important to dad that his wife thinks their father-daughter relationship is on the mend.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Captain Hygiene posted:

She needs to open up her friendship to allow everybody to be friends with other people

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

LOL, eat poo poo "dad".

AITA for telling my dad that I could never love him again?

Dad sure has a funny way of showing that he "loves [OP] so much". The "no actual apology" is a telling detail.

The real explanation is in the final paragraph, where it is suddenly very important to dad that his wife thinks their father-daughter relationship is on the mend.
Yeah if he really felt bad he would be apologizing, not making demands

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Bet he hasn't even told his wife about the rejection bc he's too embarrassed, he's just hoping if he keeps haranguing he will eventually make it happen

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

OP should meet with the wife and blow up dad's spot completely

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They were informed that they aren't able to have children and that's what they're going to tell her when they meet.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Maple syrup is the superior waffle topping, this is the hill I'll die on and I ain't even Canadian.

AITA For not considering the baby part of the family

quote:

AITA For refusing to give up the baby items?

Ex and I were married for 20 years. We had 2 kids together. Our son was the 6th grand child 💙 born on his side, and our daughter was the 7th grand child and first Grand daughter 🩷 on that side. There were 5 more kids born after her. On my side, our kids were the first grandchildren.

I have always been into vintage/ handmade items. MIL would make blankets / sweaters / booties / mittens for all the babies. When our daughter was born she also made rompers and dresses for her. The other 'daughters' never appreciates what she did. In addition to what SHE made, she also gave us the sweaters that were given to her son (my husband) by his Nannies (grandmothers). My mother, (first grandchildren) would shop at $$$ boutiques for out fits for my kids 🙄 She finally came to reality and started shopping cheaper.

My kids also wore the Christening gown that MY grandmother had worn. (Yeah, it was old).

In addition to the clothing, there were toys. Toys from their grandparents when they were babies. Toys from their father's side that none of his siblings wanted for their babies. Toys from my side I wanted them to have. Toys they got as gifts. And yes, I had all the toys tested for safety before I allowed the kids to have them.

The kids grew up and out these things. I packed these items up in boxes so that when our children have children of their own, these things will be available for them if they want them.

Our marriage didn't last. He walked our on us, and left all boxes (baby items) with me. He quickly remarried.

His wife has a daughter that was out of the house when they married. The daughter, recently had a baby. Now, his wife had seen photos of our children wearing some of the items I had saved up, and SHE feels that since HER daughter had 'the first grandchild' 🙄 that SHE (her daughter) is entitled to all the baby items I had saved for future grandchildren.

AITA ... He walked away and left all the baby items with me. I saved the items so that OUR children will have them (if they desire) for THEIR children (OUR grandchildren). They (him & wife) feel that since his wife's daughter gave birth, she is just as entitled to the saved baby items as our children are.

And yes, I could ask ex-MIL what she would like me to do with the items, but I really don't want to get her involved if I don't have to.

I MIGHT be TA for not allowing my ex to give baby items from OUR kids that I saved for their future children to his wife so she could present them to her own (already existing) grand babies.

Misleading title aside, talk about being entitled lol, the ex-husband's step-grandchild has literally nothing to do with the OP.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Hughlander posted:

AITA for silently getting up and walking out of the restaurant during NYE dinner after I was told to pay for everyone at the table (my inlaws)?

whenever I read these stories i always think of what amount of $ would make OP the rear end in a top hat

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Saw this yesterday but wasn't going to post it, with today's updates though...

AITAH? Told my female friend who was very drunk to go home so my gf could sleep and she was robbed on her way home.

quote:

I’m feeling really guilty about this.

I had a bday party Friday evening, I (29m) have been with my gf (28f) for a year and she recently moved in with me. I have a close female friend (Leah 29f) from university days and every year when I throw a party, Leah tends to get a bit too drunk and she always stays over. I have a sleeping bag and usually the sofa is free but my brother who came to my party was travelling from afar so I offered him the sofa. Leah always ends up falling asleep in my bed at my parties and I end up in the sleeping bag on the floor or the sofa. Nothing has ever happened between us and our relationship is completely platonic.

My gf has PCOS and she gets really awful and heavy periods. Her period started on Thursday and she wasn’t feeling too good. I posted a message into the WhatsApp party chat to everyone letting them know that my gf isn’t feeling too good so the party won’t be going on for long and also, the bed is no longer free so if anyone is planning on sleeping over, they would need to either use the sleeping bag or bring their own bag as my gf will be in bed resting and my brother will be on the sofa.

Everything was all good at the party until the end, my gf was honestly amazing, she was the perfect host despite not feeling too good and spent the evening socialising and talking to my friends. My brother was asleep on the sofa and we noticed Leah wasn’t around so we both headed to the bedroom and noticed she was drunk and falling in and out of sleep on my bed. Both my gf and I managed to wake her up and she was completely wasted.

At this point, my gf was getting really bad period pains and cramps and she needed to lay down and rest. I pulled Leah up onto her feet and she managed to walk over to my desk and sat on the chair. She started yelling at me saying I’m a dick for waking her up and now she feels sick and dizzy. I told Leah that my gf is unwell and needs to rest and sleep. She then said I should tell my gf to sleep on the floor in the sleeping bag. I obviously wasn’t going to do that. I said to Leah that she’s welcome to use the sleeping bag or I can get her an Uber home. She continued on yelling at me saying that I know she gets drunk every year, that I should be looking after her too and valuing her sickness as she’s not feeling well. To be completely honest, I stopped giving a gently caress after a certain point as she kept yelling and I told her to leave and go home.

I got her some water and she stormed off and left. I didn’t hear from her until yesterday and she told me on Facebook that because of me, she got her phone and cards stolen. She said on the night bus home, a guy attacked her and she had to give up her possessions. She essentially blamed me and said had I just let her stay like I do every year then this wouldn’t have happened.

I tried explaining to her that this is my first serious relationship and that my gf takes priority and she needed to sleep as she was not feeling well. I explained to Leah that as my gf has PCOS, sometimes she can bleed through her clothes at night so she needs a bed to sleep on so I can lay down towels for her etc. she said that I should have slept in the sleeping bag and should have let my gf and Leah share a bed together but I know my gf would have felt so uncomfortable sleeping next to Leah especially since she was having a heavy period.

Leah blames me and said I put her in a dangerous position. AITA?

Update: I spoke to a mutual friend of ours and she hasn’t heard about the robbery, it may be that Leah only felt safe to share that info with me, I’m not sure. I asked her if she had spoken to Leah as I was concerned and she said ‘yeah I spoke to her on Facebook and she seemed ok’. This mutual friend of ours also said that Leah was talking about trying to get me to be single by my next birthday. We jokingly made a pact in uni that if we were both single by 30 we would marry each other, nothing serious of course and it was referring to the pack made in Friends as we both loved that show. Leah was joking about that pact and that we are both only one year away from 30 so she needs to start planning.

Really not sure how to feel about that, she could have really just been joking and my other friend said she was laughing about it but wanted to make me aware of it.

Second update: Thanks everyone for all your advice. I have been thinking on this all night and I asked Leah to share any information with me so I can help her. I asked her for the police reference number so I can speak to her insurance company to get a new phone and I asked her all the details about which night bus and what time she thought it all happened so we can contact the bus company with the police reference number. She didn’t reply to that. After the conversation with our mutual friend, I sent her a second message saying we needed to distance ourselves from each other as I found out she was jokingly talking about breaking up my relationship and that’s really a hosed up thing to even joke about. I said I’m sorry she went through something really awful but at this time, I can’t be there for her and it feels like our friendship has reached its ending point. I encouraged her to spend time with her other friends and family. She just replied ‘oval office’ to that and nothing else.

Tbh I think we were only good friends during university but that was almost 10 years ago and we are very different people now with very different lives. I guess we only really stayed close because of our uni days but when I think about it, we don’t have much else in common. I spoke to a few other mutual friends also and it seems she only has a habit of getting drunk at my bday parties and nowhere else. I think our friendship has reached its ending point and I want to focus on my gf and our life together. This situation with Leah has made me view her differently.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shanghaied posted:

Maple syrup is the superior waffle topping, this is the hill I'll die on and I ain't even Canadian.

Maple syrup and fruit syrup :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They were informed that they aren't able to have children and that's what they're going to tell her when they meet.
Per comments, they have a seven year old (which makes an interesting addition to the timeline OP has laid out), so I doubt it's an infertility problem (although maybe they're angling for some free babysitting?).

Dudes like that dad don't suddenly decide to go to therapy, he must have done something that nearly wrecked his relationship and his wife's demands for him getting out of the doghouse were 1) go to therapy, and 2) reconcile with the daughter you abandoned. He's just doing what he has to do to keep his current family together, OP and her feelings are wholly incidental.

Lone Goat posted:

OP should meet with the wife and blow up dad's spot completely
Yeah, that's absolutely what OP should do. Pull the pin, toss the grenade into her father's lap, and walk away.