Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
edit: wrong thread terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I am allowed to eat in bed provided I don't spill anything on the sheets. I am not allowed to eat graham crackers in bed (crumbs) but I'm also not allowed to eat graham crackers in general since I once bit my own finger while eating one (I really really like graham crackers)

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Hughlander posted:

Maybe check that the extravagant birthday party that she spent all this money on buying a new outfit for new shoes for her milestone 18th birthday is the famed Ethnic restaurant... Olive Garden.

Lunch at Olive Garden. Not even paying dinner menu prices.

mystes
May 31, 2006

coronatae posted:

I am allowed to eat in bed provided I don't spill anything on the sheets. I am not allowed to eat graham crackers in bed (crumbs) but I'm also not allowed to eat graham crackers in general since I once bit my own finger while eating one (I really really like graham crackers)
This is a crumby opinion

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
have you noticed a distinct lack of desire to masterbate? the estate of sylvester graham would like you to complete a survey

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shanghaied posted:

lmao if you're two people in your late 20s and an extra $80 completely breaks your "baby fund," maybe consider not having children, jfc. Like you don't have fewer unexpected expenses once the baby comes along.
Two able-bodied working-age people with zero housing costs (well, until now), and they're still crying poor over $79 worth of damage that they deliberately caused. Infuriating.

effervescible posted:

Lunch at Olive Garden. Not even paying dinner menu prices.
It's such a humble little event - and OP was fine with it, even excited for it - and SIL still decided to poo poo all over it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Everyone is talking about the $79 dress but ignoring the fact she also destroyed a belt and shoes too. That could add another $40 to the cost!

Plus with tax that might be another $10! Bunch of bourgeois assholes in this thread.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

limp_cheese posted:

Everyone is talking about the $79 dress but ignoring the fact she also destroyed a belt and shoes too. That could add another $40 to the cost!

Plus with tax that might be another $10! Bunch of bourgeois assholes in this thread.

No, we're talking about "The whole outfit costed $79 total."

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

FMguru posted:

Two able-bodied working-age people with zero housing costs (well, until now), and they're still crying poor over $79 worth of damage that they deliberately caused. Infuriating.

Tbf, they didn't even have gas money:

quote:

until my mom handed them gas money

I cannot emphasise enough how terrible an idea it is to have children in this situation. I guess the plan was just to leech onto mummy and daddy even harder once the baby comes along - "how can you make your grandchild homeless??!!!" In which case, maybe don't act like unhinged assholes?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

OP could have thrifted that poo poo for $3.50 and the SIL would still be an absolute psycho

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

boofhead posted:

OP could have thrifted that poo poo for $3.50 and the SIL would still be an absolute psycho

Nobody's arguing that. It's just such a loving low number for the lovely brother and SIL to decide is unpayable that it makes them EVEN CRAZIER

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

coronatae posted:

Are you a parakeet?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shanghaied posted:

I cannot emphasise enough how terrible an idea it is to have children in this situation. I guess the plan was just to leech onto mummy and daddy even harder once the baby comes along - "how can you make your grandchild homeless??!!!" In which case, maybe don't act like unhinged assholes?
The way mom and dad showed them the door almost immediately tells me they've been freeloading for quite a while, and they're sick and tired of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pregnancy came about as a way to keep the freeloading gravy train rolling (for the "how can you make your grandchild homeless??!!!" reason you mention above).

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I honestly feel bad for the pregnant babymama - her brain is absolutely hosed up from neglect and she clearly needs years of therapy. it's hard to describe the level of jealousy one has seeing a kind, good family treat each other well when your own family has been a nightmare and you don't have a good support system. You are happy to see it in your friend's lives but also immensely hurt your life couldn't be that way. There is a small nasty part of you that wants to ruin everyone's fun just like you felt yours was ruined, but obviously you should not - doing that just makes you one step closer to the very people who made you that way. Plus that poo poo ruins relationships, as has been evidenced.

The line about how the pregnant gf made it a point to say she didn't get a party at 18 is what catches me. She was clearly comparing this one to hers and finder hers wanting. She knows that OP's family isn't 'wrong' to care - but if giving someone that much attention for their 18th is normal, it means admitting how very hosed up her own life has been and that the root of her jealousy is her sadness at her own familial dysfunction. So instead, it has to be abnormal, wrong, too much attention for an 18 yo, etc. Then she's not jealous and sad, that turns it into how they're the weirdos for making it such a big deal.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 30, 2024

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I honestly feel bad for the pregnant babymama - her brain is absolutely hosed up from neglect and she clearly needs years of therapy. it's hard to describe the level of jealousy one has seeing a kind, good family treat each other well when your own family has been a nightmare and you don't have a good support system. You are happy to see it in your friend's lives but also immensely hurt your life couldn't be that way. There is a small nasty part of you that wants to ruin everyone's fun just like you felt yours was ruined, but obviously you should not - doing that just makes you one step closer to the very people who made you that way.

The line about how the pregnant gf said she didn't get a party at 18 is what catches me. She knows that OP's family isn't 'wrong' to care - but if giving someone that much attention for their 18th is normal, it means admitting how very hosed up her own life has been and that the root of her jealousy is her sadness at her own familial dysfunction. So instead, it has to be abnormal, wrong, too much attention for an 18 yo, etc.

i do get that and i sympathize to an extent and my wife and i just had an interesting talk about this post. TLDR, major trauma family background on my side very somewhat "normal" family on her side. occasionally i have to abstain or take a break because eh.. im not used to it.

the idea though that because you missed out on a normal healthy family relationship shouldnt make you want to pass that pain on. you definately shouldnt be raising a child ffs.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Danger posted:

Are you a parakeet?

Just until the real keet gets there.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i do get that and i sympathize to an extent and my wife and i just had an interesting talk about this post. TLDR, major trauma family background on my side very somewhat "normal" family on her side. occasionally i have to abstain or take a break because eh.. im not used to it.

the idea though that because you missed out on a normal healthy family relationship shouldnt make you want to pass that pain on. you definately shouldnt be raising a child ffs.

absolutely, it's really worrisome she's having a kid when she hasn't even touched this stuff bc that poor kids absolutely going to get the brunt of her weird familial traumas, re-enacted

and yes seeing normal families sometimes gives me stepford vibes but then I (gently) remind myself that I'm the odd man out there, not them.

Nice families all feel like this, which isn't bad, it's just that as an outsider it feels absolutely foreign for everyone to be this even keel, kind, and supportive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSNdmSEg_qQ

EDIT: Oh man forgot how much I love the VR episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w8rgEZQMvY

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 30, 2024

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Rare sighting of a spite house in an AITA story

AITA for not picking a new color for my house even though my son finds the one we have embarrassing?

quote:

I bought my house 15 years ago. It was a fixer upper and needed a lot of work. The only thing I kept the house is it’s painted bright pink. The guy I bought it from said it was his deceased father’s house. He had painted it this way to piss off his neighbors. I decided I liked the color and kept it the way it was. When I married my wife a year later, she agreed. We now have 3 kids: a 13 year old boy, a 10 year old girl and a 8 year old girl.

We are doing some minor renovations to the house and have decided to touch up the paint as it’s been awhile. My son asked that we paint it a “normal color” because it’s “embarrassing” to live in a pink house. We declined and said we like the color. Ultimately, it’s our house and we’ll be living in it longer than him. When we die, he’s free to paint it what he wants.

My MIL feels we’re being unfair and that we should take into account how it’s embarrassing for a teen boy to live in a “Barbie house”. We asked my son if he’s being teased and he said no. But he hates it. Our daughters like it.

Are we wrong for not painting the house a “normal” color?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOfkpu6749w

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mordiceius posted:

So the wife had a child when she was 15 and then she was 20 when she met op who was 32? Luckily, it seems like they have a good relationship? That age difference still weirds me out though.

It's significantly better than what I expected from the first two sentences...

quote:

My wife (30) and I (42) have two children (15M,2F). I met my wife when she was a student in a trades program I used to teach at.

Yeah, there's still a big age difference, but at least they met as adults, got together as adults who weren't in a student/teacher situation and, oh yeah, OP didn't knock up his 15 year old student when he was 27.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
adults who meet as adults but happen to have a large age gap are fine. not all sex has to be on the charmed circle, drat.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There's garden-variety dead bedrooms, and then there's this:

AITAH for getting it elsewhere since my wife didn't want to have sex any more?

quote:

A few months ago I posted for relationship advice on another sub. Basically my wife has decided unilaterally that we are done having sex. She found out that she cannot have kids due to a choice she made before we met. And kids, apparently, are the only reason she was willing to have sex.

I love my wife and I enjoy being intimate with her. But it was making our marriage untenable after two years of this. So I posted for advice. I got a lot of great support and suggestions about how to talk to my wife. I tried a lot of it. I started going for counseling for myself as well.

But no matter how I approached her about our situation she would not try and see it from my point of view. Every discussion would end with her crying and screaming in my face that I am trying to emotionally manipulate her. I then wrote her a letter outlining my feelings and asking her to come with me for counseling, to seek it for herself, perhaps to go see a doctor. I was kind and loving in the letter. The last thing I wanted to do was set her off. I worked on the wording with my counselor to make sure I wasn't saying anything aggressive that could be misinterpreted.

She read the letter. Then she scrawled across it with her red sharpie. "Go get it elsewhere because you are not getting it from me". Then she walked out. I sat there for about an hour doing nothing. Then I told myself that was what I was going to do.

We are both fairly successful in our jobs, I'm not super attractive but I'm fit and a good talker. It took a while but I met someone. We started out as just friends but it became physical. I made sure she knew I was married. She is not interested in a relationship so I guess I am a safe option for her.

My wife found out because I did not try and hide it. She was crying when I got home one night. When I came in she asked if I was going to leave her. I said no. She asked if I was cheating on her and I said I was getting sex elsewhere. She said that was cheating and I did not disagree. I asked her what she wanted to do. She said I had to stop. I asked her if we were going to start having sex. She said I was an irrational rear end in a top hat if I thought that she would have sex with me after I cheated. I went to my desk and pulled out a photocopy of the letter I wrote with her answer in it.

I went to have a shower and go to my room to sleep. When I woke up she was sitting on the couch waiting to talk.

She said that she reread the letter and that she realized she had not before. She assumed it was just a letter begging for sex. She said she would go for counseling alone and with me. All I had to do was stop having sex elsewhere.

I said I would be willing to pause my friendship until we saw a counselor. And that if I saw progress in our relationship I would break it off. She said she would not agree to counseling without me leaving the other woman.

It almost turned into a fight so I just went for my run. Before I left I asked her what would compel her to go to counseling if I stopped having sex elsewhere. When I got back she still did not have an answer. She couldn't even say that our relationship was worth saving.

I don't want a divorce. But I am willing to leave over this. I am 28 I am not going the rest of my life without sex. She refuses to see my side.
That age reveal whiplashed me hard.

There is literally not one thing in this relationship worth saving for OP. Just hand her the divorce papers and go live the rest of your life.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

adults who meet as adults but happen to have a large age gap are fine. not all sex has to be on the charmed circle, drat.

While someone who is 20 and someone who is 32 are both adults, in many cases the 20 year old and 32 year old are at very different development stages. According to neuroscience, generally speaking, the brain is still "developing" until around 25.

If someone is 25 and another person is 40, I won't think much of it, but when people are under 25 (especially in the 18-21 range) are in large age gap relationships, I get a little skittish. A 20 year old is just a bigger child.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

It's like the reverse version of the stories where people with healthy normal families can't possibly imagine ever just completely cutting a family member out of your life, so they go and try to do a hallmark special by springing them on you one day.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

There is literally not one thing in this relationship worth saving for OP. Just hand her the divorce papers and go live the rest of your life.

What can you do to yourself that is a) a conscious decision b) sterilizes you c) you don't realize B until much later? Horrifying levels of substance abuse?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Certain STDs, especially if they fly under the radar and are untreated for a while, can cause infertility.

ETA: That was my first thought reading it. So I was thinking ESH with the OP leaning into slut shaming.

"She chose to have sex, now she can't have babies, and won't even gently caress me. Whore."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

haveblue posted:

What can you do to yourself that is a) a conscious decision b) sterilizes you c) you don't realize B until much later? Horrifying levels of substance abuse?

Judging by how cagey op is being and refusing to answer that specific question on the thread, I'm guessing She got an abortion and it hosed something up, if it's not completely made up.

e:^^^ or that

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

FMguru posted:

Rare sighting of a spite house in an AITA story

AITA for not picking a new color for my house even though my son finds the one we have embarrassing?

Look at that guy and his old pink house! Loser!

*can't find a one bedroom condo for <$0.5million*

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Mordiceius posted:

While someone who is 20 and someone who is 32 are both adults, in many cases the 20 year old and 32 year old are at very different development stages. According to neuroscience, generally speaking, the brain is still "developing" until around 25.

If someone is 25 and another person is 40, I won't think much of it, but when people are under 25 (especially in the 18-21 range) are in large age gap relationships, I get a little skittish. A 20 year old is just a bigger child.

fun fact: the brain is still developing for your entire life, and the "immature until 25" thing has its roots in a popsci article that was trying to explain why people who were 25 in the year 2009 were still living with their parents

"different life stages and levels of experience" is far more valid than popsci neurology when it comes to justifying disapproving of the relationship between two adult strangers

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Nothing happened between them while she was 20, she graduated a few years later and fell out of contact and then reconnected when she was ~26-27. Yeah, she was still young and impressionable when they originally met and I'm sure that influenced her later decisions but I think we all probably have more important places to direct outrage to.

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

NTA for not being happy with a relationship without sex if OP wants a relationship with sex but YTA for having an affair. Do couples therapy or sex therapy or just divorce but don't stay in the relationship and have an affair and rub it in your wife's face.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

the holy poopacy posted:

Nothing happened between them while she was 20, she graduated a few years later and fell out of contact and then reconnected when she was ~26-27. Yeah, she was still young and impressionable when they originally met and I'm sure that influenced her later decisions but I think we all probably have more important places to direct outrage to.

Oh yeah. My comment you quoted wasn’t about that story but more just about age gaps in general. With that story, I had the initial ick from seeing the ages, but upon reading it, saw it wasn’t an icky situation.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

mystes posted:

NTA for not being happy with a relationship without sex if OP wants a relationship with sex but YTA for having an affair. Do couples therapy or sex therapy or just divorce but don't stay in the relationship and have an affair and rub it in your wife's face.

I mean I personally can’t imagine cheating but she literally told him to in this story.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Mordiceius posted:

While all of that might be true, we also allow 20-year-olds to vote, drive, smoke, drink, sign contracts, and consent to medical procedures. And I'm not sure I would want to see the legal age on all of those things raised. I'm around 20-year-olds all day every day (I'm a teacher), I know first hand that you're not a full adult at 20 ("you had three weeks for the assignment, plan better jfc"). But I don't think it's feasible or desirable to protect them paternalistically until they're 25 or whatever.

We should call out problematic age gap relationships when we see them, but like I don't know, sometimes if they say they're happy, you just gotta take their words for it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mystes posted:

He did what he told her to do and refused to sneak around acting ashamed of it. They're both assholes for not divorcing.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Halloween Jack posted:

He did what he told her to do and refused to sneak around acting ashamed of it. They're both assholes for not divorcing.

pretty much.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mystes posted:

Do you ever read any of the posts you reply to?

The wife wrote "Go get it elsewhere because you are not getting it from me", and he did so. Sounds like explicit consent to me.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yah but op is a man

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

Do you ever read any of the posts you reply to?

The wife wrote "Go get it elsewhere because you are not getting it from me", and he did so. Sounds like explicit consent to me.
I guess technically but actually cheating because of an angry comment in red sharpie on a letter (when we don't even really know what the letter said) seems pretty dumb

Realistically their relationship was hosed at that point anyway though

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if your wife red pens you on a heartfelt letter about relationship crisises im kinda with dude here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

mystes posted:

(when we don't even really know what the letter said)

Neither did the wife lol, since she scrawled on it without reading it.

People should really read things lol.