Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

FMguru posted:

Solid username.

Content!

AITAH for telling my sister to leave me and my family alone

An annulment! LOL, eat poo poo sis.

quote:

my mom thinks it was too soon and that I’m rubbing the marriage in my sisters face

I feel like mom isn't wrong here. "As soon as the divorce was final" marriages aren't known for working out long term. Also, I feel exhausted just trying to imagine explaining the family dynamics to the kids when they are older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
My (35M) gf (35F) tells her coworkers that we are cousins

quote:

My gf and I have been together for 6 years. She keeps hinting at wanting to get married and talking about what her wedding will be like someday.

So I've decided to take the hint. I bought an engagement ring a week ago and am planning to pop the question sometime soon.

Well, over the weekend she had a work function. This was the first time she's invited me along. I'm not super outgoing, but I was kind of looking forward to meeting all these coworkers she talks about so much.

For some reason, every time we talked to someone, she introduced me as her "cousin". I thought it was a joke at first, but she kept at the whole day.

When we were driving home I asked her what that was all about, and she said she "didn't want people to have the wrong impression". When I asked what that meant, she said she didn't want to talk about it anymore, and I shouldn't be so upset. She then switched the conversation to her favorite TV show.

Why would she introduce me as her cousin? Should I insist on her telling me why she did that before I propose?

UPDATE - My (35M) gf (35F) tells her coworkers that we are cousins

quote:

There was a lot of good feedback to my question (although some of it was fairly mean).

I decided to give her a call and be very blunt with her. I asked her if she was cheating, and she seemed very confused. When I pressed, she got angry and told me that she's always been faithful to her boyfriend. Now it was my turn to be confused, and I asked who her boyfriend was.

Long story short, she's been dating another guy for the past year. She has been hoping he would propose (hence all the wedding talk). Apparently she's never thought of me as her boyfriend. I misread that badly.

She kept alternating between very apologetic, saying "I am SOOOO sorry if I gave you the wrong impression" and "How could you have POSSIBLY thought we were together?"

Well sir, I feel pretty stupid right now. But on the bright side, I'm glad I found out now before proposing. Now THAT would have been awkward. I just got done signing up for a new Match.com account. This evening, I'm going to return the ring I had bought. Hoping for a better day tomorrow.

TLDR: I thought my long time gf was acting strange introducing me as her cousin. Turns out I'm an idiot and am not actually her bf.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: because some of you were asking,, no we were not having sex. I'm asexual and don't really like sex

quote:

We would say "love you", but looking back now, it was more a friendly thing. Kind of like a "love you guys!"

We would hang out a lot and share a lot of our feelings. We sometimes would go to a movie together or grab dinner with just the 2 of us. But often times, we did things together as a group.

One time that sticks out is she organized a "double date". Looking back now, I realize that I was actually supposed to be on a date with the other girl, while she was with her bf. That explains a lot now, like why the other girl kept brushing up against me and stuff and why she seemed really sullen at the end of the double date. Man, I'm such an idiot...

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Isn’t the cousins one a very clear tag on to a “my friend thinks we’ve been dating for years” relationships post a few weeks ago?

That post was what reminded me of the cousins one, but the cousin one is from a couple years ago.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Hughlander posted:

My (34F) husband (30M) has been secretly donating sperm on Facebook. Is there any way back from this?

Countdown to follow-up, "My husband has been sued for child support by 47 families for his off the book children."

Are they doing literal turkey baster at-home insemination? Thus just seems like a terrible idea for so many, many reasons.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Midnight Voyager posted:

Part of the 1% of turbo rich, but they don't own Wal-mart, so it's not THAT rich!

Ohhhh, those Waltons. I was picturing like, John-Boy, and trying to figure out how they worked into the equation other than the example of "definitely not rich."

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

I. M. Gei posted:

Can you do that?

Depends on the sweepstakes, but some of them have an option where you can decline a prize in favor of a cash equivalent. Typically the "equivalent" is less than the retail price of the prize.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
If we follow the "everyone is fatter than you imagine" rule, it might even be possible that he really wasn't that drunk? Like, he weighs over 600 pounds, and has a liver the size of a small horse.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

After that "lineage" comment my first thought was that dad is gonna have a breakdown and knock up some woman in a desperate attempt to carry on his "branch of the family tree".

Well if they hadn't banned him from his son's hospital room he could have gathered that sperm donation before it was too late.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

binge crotching posted:

My father in law bought two piglets that they named cutlets and schnitzel, and raised them for a couple of years before having their kids help slaughter and butcher them. Apparently they were named that so the kids wouldn't get too attached.

When I was a kid my grandpa had a hobby farm (mostly just chickens) and one day we went to visit and he had two young calves in a pen. One of the calves was blind, but Grandpa put a bell on the other calf so the blind one learned to follow him around. One was red and one was black. They were adorable! We visited all summer and always ran to hang out with the calves first thing.

Then in September, right around my birthday, I came home from school to find a huge mound of meat piled on the dining room table. It was (literally) half a cow, skinned and gutted but with hooves still attached so there was a little tuft of distinctive red hair at the ankle. Mom explained that Grandpa knew how much we loved the little blind calf so he made sure our beef came from him. That day I got to learn how to butcher a cow and grind up the offcuts.

Anyway, it was horrific to young me and I cried secretly afterward but in the end it was really desensitizing and I have had no difficulty since then with the concept of eating cute animals.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Desert Bus posted:

The big problem with milk is that dairy cows are not good for meat and you only get a few gallons of milk for each cow you kill to remove its milk. Even modern dairy cows don't hold that much milk and then you're stuck with a big pile of meat and bones and skin. Sure you can get people to process that, but it's a lot of work and waste for each milked cow.

Beachcomber posted:

There's no reason that old dairy cows can't be eaten unless they're pumping them full of chemicals, which, like, they shouldn't.

Maybe I'm spoiled because I grew up around lots of small family farms.

They uh, also don't butcher cows to remove their milk. In case you didn't know that.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Thanks, I thought it would be rude to post that when Beachcomber so clearly missed the joke, but I see now that it is okay.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Larry Cum Free posted:

Ah, so not Public Health Update (Opera), thanks!

I'd also rather sit next to someone eating a giant bag of pop rocks and kettle chips than sit next to someone wearing their sweaty gym clothes :whitewater:

Did I misread that post, or did he just change into his jeans like, in a corner of the lobby? Instead of using the bathroom?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

mllaneza posted:

He had jeans with him, he just didn't put them on.

I meant the bit where she said, "we had to go around the corner to find a place for him to change.". I took that to mean he did actually change, but it is not explained well.

Here is a totally mature, grown-up man:

AITA for grounding my daughter for ruining our vacation

quote:

My husband, daughter (15), step kids (13, 16), and I just came back from a 2 week vacation.

My daughter is very smart and is very good at a lot of things. She’s also very competitive. My husband is also very competitive.

My daughter started off this vacation by telling my husband there was sudoku on the plane and explaining how to play. He didn’t know that she’s been playing sudoku for months. She made a bet with him that if she finishes the hardest level first, he’d buy her wifi for the flight and if he finished first she’d share a bed with his younger daughter on the trip (his younger daughter was complaining about sharing with his oldest because she kicks and sleeps in the middle of the bed. She beat him and pestered him until he bought the wifi.

When we got there she’d challenge him to races on land and in the pool (she’s won medals at state track meets and has been swimming since she was 2). Every day she’d challenge him to something, win, and he’d have to buy her something from the resort or local shops.

My husband was getting sick of losing and my stepdaughters were upset that their dad was buying her stuff and not them so I told my daughter she either couldn’t compete with her stepdad or she had to let him win.

She decided to tell her stepdad that she wasn’t allowed to compete with him anymore because he couldn’t handle losing. This made them start to argue so I told her that if she didn’t keep it up she’d be grounded to the resort for the rest of the trip (a little over a week at this point). She decided to test me so I stuck to my word and she was left at the resort while the rest of us went out every day.

The vacation was much more enjoyable without her turning everything into a competition but she told her dad when she got back that we grounded her and he’s mad at me now for leaving her there and excluding her from the vacation because my husband couldn’t act like an adult.

I told him my daughter was warned to stop but she decided to test me and now he’s forcing her to stick to the custody schedule (technically I have her every other weekend but he was letting her go back and forth whenever she wanted) and is threatening to go to court for child support and back pay.

AITA for grounding her for ruining the vacation?

What, you expect the adult to control himself? He can't say "no" to a bet, that'd be a sign of weakness! Instead he will just pout dramatically every time he is bested by a child.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

So she showed him how to do Sodoku but he didn't know she was good at it? How would she have shown him if she wasn't?

But she's a girl. Of course he expected to beat her.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I want this to have updates because I desperately want to know what the gently caress.

It seems fairly clear that "the gently caress" is a psychotic break of some kind? Which is just sad all around.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Halloween Jack posted:

close-quarters battle

?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Kitfox88 posted:

So he's not stinking up the building and he's got the door in view while he puffs his cigarette. The woman's just being an rear end by kicking it shut. :shrug:

If he isn't close enough to stop her from closing it, he isn't close enough to stop some rando from wandering in. So if her concern is the safety aspect she has a point.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, one of the reasons wood paneling was so popular is because you wouldn't notice the discoloration.

Fun fact: Play-doh was originally invented as a cleaning product to remove smoke stains from wallpaper without damaging the pattern.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Danaru posted:

Partner left me put of poker night.

I kind of understand why the husband doesn't want OP there. If you have 5 people who are really into poker and one who isn't, it makes for a weird dynamic at the table. Either the newbie is constantly slowing things down with "does a flush beat a straight?" and "How much are the blue chips worth again?" Or they promptly lose all their money and then just sit there awkwardly watching everyone else play. The way to solve it is still not by locking them in the bedroom like a dog though.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Barudak posted:

The Ex-Files was such a good show

Ex-Philes - only attracted to the one(s) that got away.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Captain Hygiene posted:

drat, I need to find a family that gives me a free house to live in and pays all my expenses indefinitely just because. If allegedly not really being liked by them is the tradeoff, I think I can suffer through that.

First you gotta suffer through eighteen months of pregnancy though.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Biplane posted:

But she feels bad, and kids aren't really real people anyway

Also they don't let you in to the American Doll cafe without a kid, and that's where the best crab cakes are.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

dervival posted:

lmao that's the exact same guy isn't it

That post got removed from the legaladvice sub for being fake so I think it was stolen posting valor.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

atomicdream posted:

I'd be pretty pissed if my sister wanted to spend time with my kid instead of their own on Mother's Day. Why does she get dibs on OP's kid on a day meant to celebrate mothers when she has her own kids? I respect that raising two sons with special needs is difficult, but you don't get to hijack someone else's kids because you don't want to celebrate with your own.

Not to mention the whole bit about bursting into public tears because her relationship with her own special-needs sons is not "normal.". Auntie is crying out for help that isn't gonna come from playing mommy for a day with a cute toddler.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

mllaneza posted:

I'ma let the kids have that one. At basketball games you don't have to sit quietly and not stim.

I feel sympathy for her having two special needs kids, but to be honest that part had me eyeing her a little askance. She apparently never goes on these outings, not because wrangling the kids is hard, but just because they are "boy" things. Which makes me wonder a) why she can't go fishing just because she lacks a penis, and b) whether they have tried any other more "gender-neutral" family outings like going to the park or something where the boys don't have to sit quietly.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Plebian Parasite posted:

I'm having a really hard time believing this isn't a bit.

By the time you spend that much time and energy on a bit - is it really fake anymore?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Hughlander posted:

Off grid meaning hiding from the government. He didn’t pay taxes either and was making less than half minimum wage

Honestly I just assumed he is legally prohibited from using computers.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

therobit posted:

Might be hard for him when literally all of their friends know about his presumably very small penis because his wife could not resist the urge to share embarrassing things about him to her friends for entertainment. He probably doesn’t feel like he can look any of those people in the face again, and anytime he hears his wife laughing with her friends he is going to wonder if it’s about his dick. That probably was not the intent of her sharing their bedroom issues but this is going to hit any insecurities he might have had about his small dick really hard. That is unless it’s just that she has a really big vagina.

Edit: OK so it’s a very strange ad for men with a small penis and a shame kink?

I actually found this one plausible, because I had a friend in college who told her whole friend group about how her boyfriend's penis was too small so she made him wear a "penis extender." It has been decades and I could not pick that dude out of a lineup but I will always remember the tale of Tiny Tim.

(I have no idea what brand it was and never asked.)

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Ominous Jazz posted:

after the worst date of my life, with a girl who was talking about sandy hook being a false flag less than three weeks after it happened, she reached out to the friend and told her that I was too sensitive and the shirt I was wearing was "too loud". It was a regular button up and this has stuck with me ever since.

Were you wearing corduroy pants and she thought the zwiiip zwiiip sound when you walked was coming from your shirt?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Zoesdare posted:

Does anyone have the wolf girlfriend story? The one where the guy shows up for his date and there’s a wolf staring him down in the living room?

I have done a bunch of googling and can’t find it. That couple lives rent free in my head :shibe:

First date was interesting to say the least

quote:

I am 30m and I had a date with 30F.

We met online and I initiated a date to a local restaurant. Today she texted me and told me she was having car trouble so either I could pick her up or we would reschedule. I had already made the reservations so I just figured I'd pick her up. Though I was surprised that she would trust me like that so quick because I don't even trust people like that to know where I live when I don't know them for real.

She sent me the address and it was out in the sticks. The drive out there was a little creepy. I hadn't seen even the slightest sign of civilization in miles I'm talking backwoods like they probably filmed a horror movie here middle of nowhere.

So I finally pull up and her place has a fence around it that looks like the jurassic park fence. First thought what kind of job do you have to have to build a fence that tall? ( she is a veterinarian BTW, I asked) Second thought what is she trying to keep in there?

So gate opens and I go through and down a dirt road for like half a mile and finally pull up to a house that is pretty normal looking. The yard looks pretty normal. I saw some dog toys and she has a vegetable garden. Lots of flowers so I'm thinking okay maybe this is alright. Fence thing is a little overkill but whatever. She asks me to come in a minute while she grabs her stuff and there were 3 whole rear end wolves laying on the drat couch. WOLVES!!!!

One growled at me and she ( while putting on an ear ring) yelled Charlotte Anne we do not growl at the guests. SHE YELLED AT A WOLF!! and it just sat down but kept staring at me.

So I'm already like what in the actual gently caress did I get myself into and if I run I know that that thing will catch me so be cool, be cool.

Anyway we went on the date as scheduled and she was a blast. It was the best date I've ever been on and I want to see her again but she has loving wolves on her drat couch. How the gently caress do you even get a wolf? I don't think you can get that at an animal shelter. Idk.

I want to see her again she is awesome but I'm feeling pretty inadequate. Also the whole wolf thing.

Advice?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Reiche posted:

I feel like I remember a similar one where the bf/gf had an eagle that would just hang out inside and for whatever reason this was a problem for the OP

My [23f] new bf [27m] of 3 months is either a disney character, crazy, or a liar.

quote:

Theres no non-awkward way to say this, my bf has an eagle living at his house. The first time I went over he warned me not to freak out because it might be inside the house when we walked in. I thought he was joking because people don't really own birds like that, but he told me it was real and he doesn't really own it, that it comes and goes as it pleases and is more of a "friend".

He leaves the window open all the time because it likes to come inside. He's not worried about people breaking in because he lives out in the country and the bird is very territorial. He said he's trained it to not mess up his house or go to the bathroom inside.

I think he's freaking nuts. The bird is huge, like 3 feet tall, and he has to use gloves to handle it because it's claws are sharp. I think it's incredibly dangerous, but he said he's been "friends" with the bird since he was 10. That he just started feeding it one day and it would hang around him. His parents tried to get it to go away but it lived on their roof, eventually they just accepted it.

The bird makes me very uncomfortable. When I'm over at his place it just sort of stares at me, my bf says it's ok because it can tell he likes me. That it's no more dangerous than a dog. He jokingly said "if it wanted to attack you, it would have already", which did NOT help.

The whole thing just seems so weird, I feel like he has to be lying about something. His parents tell the same story he does though. At the very least it seems crazy to keep the bird around, or to let it in the house. Am I over-reacting? Is this a deal breaker or should I just learn to deal with it? My bf is great otherwise.

tl;dr: My bf has an eagle as a "friend" and let's it come into the house. Is this dangerous? Is this crazy or a deal breaker?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

mystes posted:

She probably went on to create the air up water bottle

Head flavor consultant for Lacroix water.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

The Chad Jihad posted:

Laying it on a little thick there isn't she

Yeah you have to portion your raviolo filling carefully or it won't cook evenly.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cloacamazing! posted:

Alternatively, if you absolutely have no means of communication whatsoever, waiting at the next stop seems like it would be the default option in a healthy relationship.

Nah I am with train guy. What if he gets off at the next stop, and then so does she, but they can't find each other in the crowd and they both miss the train? Or she gets off the train to look for him as he's getting on to look for her? It's simpler and therefore better to just proceed to the next prearranged meeting space which was the final destination.

E: of course this presupposes they have never had the completely reasonable conversation of "hey if we ever get separated in a crowd we should [x]."

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Kurieg posted:

AITA for gatekeeping my recipes from my one upper DIL

My son is also on my rear end about it saying I am gatekeeping recipient since I don’t like her.

Does the son not realize that you are allowed to do that? If you don't like someone you aren't like, legally required to acquiesce to their every request.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

mystes posted:

"DIL" means that she's that son's wife I assume, right?

Yeah that was my assumption.

MagusofStars posted:

The correct move here is to just give in and hand over the recipes.

Not the real recipes of course, the absolute worst ones you can find online. Why yes, my pasta sauce is indeed made with tomato soup instead of tomatoes and maple syrup as the secret ingredient. Don’t tell anybody. Oh, you brought it to Thanksgiving this year and people are complaining about the taste? No idea, maybe you over-cooked it :shrug:.

This is the way. "Of course my alfredo recipe has raisins in it. It's a regional specialty!"

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

The_Franz posted:

If you want to experience actual rejection from entering a bar/club, just go to Berghain, where countless people will queue for hours only to be told 'nein', because they had an article of clothing that wasn't black enough, were heard speaking a language that isn't German, or exhibited the slightest hint of a smile. They are infamous for having turned away the DJ that was set to perform there at one point.

Where is the sprezzatura? Must they all look so pained?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There is no loving way this actually happened.

Yeah, nobody who hates neurodivergent kids that much would have a buffet with chicken tendies and fries at their wedding.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

metachronos posted:

This is purely anecdotal but I feel like the picky eaters I know can barely look at coleslaw let alone eat it.

It's stringy and slimy at the same time! There oughtta be rules against that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Scathach posted:

Okay so either we're missing a lot of info here about how mom is treating the DIL, or DIL is just crazy.

Maybe she is just high. Finance.