Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

I wish more parents would think about how the name they think is so cool or quirky or deeply meaningful to them in them in the moment will affect their kid in the future. Name based bullying can be intense.

When I was around 12 my uncle was having a kid and actually got some of the older cousins together to run some of their chosen names by us to see how kids would react. Some of the names absolutely invited bullying and lovely nicknames or rhymed with something rude. He took those names off their list.

Well it's hard to predict "My parents will bully you for a name nobody else seems to care about and you even like" re: Astrea.

Harlot's another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwely Mernans posted:

Maybe they live in like Utah or something? I can't imagine thinking I'm in a relationship if I haven't had sex with them yet. Did they ever even kiss??

I have coworkers who I'm close to and we say "love you" to each other and never once have I read that as anything but platonic.

Well... are you ace? because that's lost him one relationship cue.

He says they kissed, but she's from a culture that kisses a lot.

Personally I can't imagine thinking I'm in a relationship if we never talked about it directly

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 2, 2024

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

When you have a chance to turn a celebration of your love and future together with your partner into also being a chance to humiliate your one too-pretty friend you've always hated, well you just have to take it.

AITAH for refusing to attend my best friend's wedding because she wants me to wear an oversized suit (I'm a woman) ?

OP should attend the wedding as a guest, wearing some kind of stunning tight gold lame outfit that really draws attention away from the bride.

Pnurtis P. Pnurtis, checking in.

OP should first try on the outfit, take pictures, put it up next to the pictures of the bridesmaids dress, and say "Y'all really think this isn't a problem?" If any friends still act lovely over it, they aren't friends.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

Just say no. What's he going to do?

Destroy everything he owns while he's at school?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Part of the 1% of turbo rich, but they don't own Wal-mart, so it's not THAT rich!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

It's interesting that the OP seems to have no sense of how rich their parents are. Like they're saying they looked up 1% and yes they're in the 1% and their parents' house cost 7 figure when they bought it but that's still pretty vague and that makes them which kind of makes it hard to evaluate the situation

They own multiple houses and vehicles and travel frequently across the world. When I say multiple vehicles, I mean EACH PARENT owns multiple vehicles of their own.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
She has a child's concept of money. It must be nice to not have had to understand the value of money when you're young out of your parents's fear.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my dad, who's in his late 50s, that it's too late for him to go to law school?

It takes 20+ years to pass the bar you see

So whose money is on "dad worked every day of his childhood and OP thought he'd get more time with him if he retired" and whose is on "OP thinks this is wasting money he's going to get when dad dies"? Mine's on the latter.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The gently caress's a "typical foreign return"?

quote:

She is people pleaser. Which makes me want to act more like this to balance things out.

ah, he is a reactive baby

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 4, 2024

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

I think the OP is not a native English speaker but maybe they meant that the friend was living abroad and came back and is now acting snobbish

Edit: It may be Indian English since OP said he's Indian

Oh that makes sense. I thought it was some shithead term I hadn't encountered before.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
OP's wife seems like an rear end in a top hat magnet

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Troublemaker posted:

To me it also doesn't make sense that she'd go after the other woman instead of the BF. I'm not a psycho who attacks other people, but I'd think the blame would go to the guy she thinks is cheating on her, not whatever woman he's sitting with.

Does the OP in the comments say why in the hell he's okay with the GF's behavior? I can think of fewer things that'd make me drop my significant other like a hot potato than them screaming and running across a restaurant and physically attacking someone I'm dining with.

This is a chronic problem with people whose SO cheats on them, getting furious at the other person LURING THEIR SO AWAY.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It doesn’t even say that the gf attacked the mom because she thought the OP was having an affair; there’s literally no explanation given, plausible or not :psyduck:

Eh, "didn't know it was my mom," just another woman? It's not a very big gap to fill.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Sure, but you’d still think at some point he, y’know, ask her why she did it

Actually, that’s probably giving him way too much credit

I don't think that he doesn't know why she did it. He just thinks "Oh, women be like that, they attack a woman going out with their man unless it's his mom."

Basically I think that he doesn't mention it because it's just so obvious and normal and true to him that why should he mention it?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for telling my SIL she was extremely harsh by kicking my mother out of my brother's hospital room while he was critically injured?

Paragraphs added.

Emma realizing she's married into a loving insane family who's always gonna care about placating mommy more than anyone else.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quantumwell posted:

And who's to say Emma would want to get IVF as a widow just so an overbearing mother can have a grandbaby

So she can have ANOTHER grandbaby. They already have a daughter.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

No poo poo. She may want to get remarried, which having a kid may complicate. She's 27 for Christ sake.

I must have missed this, but still.

Found it in the comments.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd have been out of there when they bugged me to see if I'm okay in the loving shower. I WAS okay until your rear end decided to butt its way in!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I always start business transactions with people I am trying to cut ties to entirely.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mx. posted:

AITA for wearing fake freckles?

it's not freckle appropriation it's more like freckle stolen valour

I understand feeling bad that something you were once bullied about is now fashionable, but gently caress that! Don't fuckin crab bucket, be happy other freckle kids might not get poo poo like you did.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

He had jeans with him, he just didn't put them on.

quote:

So seeing all the actually nicely dressed people arriving to the venue, my partner annoyingly said that I would probably want him to wear the jeans, and now we have to find a place for him to go change, even though he is not so keen on it. I was relieved and did not want to argue, so I did not say much about it, and we had to go around the corner for him to change.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

wheatpuppy posted:

I meant the bit where she said, "we had to go around the corner to find a place for him to change.". I took that to mean he did actually change, but it is not explained well.

Here is a totally mature, grown-up man:

AITA for grounding my daughter for ruining our vacation

What, you expect the adult to control himself? He can't say "no" to a bet, that'd be a sign of weakness! Instead he will just pout dramatically every time he is bested by a child.

quote:

The WiFi was expensive. I didn’t want him to buy it for any of the kids. I wasn’t going to tell him to waste even more money just because my daughter tricked him into a stupid bet

This is the bet version of that lady who said she was mind controlled into an affair.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hughlander posted:

This is a long one but I couldn't not post it due to the bolded part at the end of the update

Am I wrong for being uncomfortable with my wife being friends with her friend after something she accused me of?

Update - 6 days later

also, considering that response, I SUSPECT I know how the wife was the one who wanted to put up with a massive poo poo-stirrer the longest of anyone. You don't say that unless you don't like to stir poo poo just a bit!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Biplane posted:

Legitmately shook I ended up sort of on the side of a hentai-and-feet guy

You gotta encourage the ones who aren't actively asking women for feet pics all the time.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

wheatpuppy posted:

I meant the bit where she said, "we had to go around the corner to find a place for him to change.". I took that to mean he did actually change, but it is not explained well.

Here is a totally mature, grown-up man:

AITA for grounding my daughter for ruining our vacation

What, you expect the adult to control himself? He can't say "no" to a bet, that'd be a sign of weakness! Instead he will just pout dramatically every time he is bested by a child.

I wonder how this is going-

quote:

She’s spoiled at her dad’s house. He remarried when she was 5, she’s a stay at home mom, and my daughter is an only child over there. She used to come home saying “mommy (they told her to call his wife mommy) said I don’t need to clean up because I’m a princess”. She still doesn’t pack her own backpack or lunch, her dad pays her every time she competes in a track meet, and she has a credit card with no hard limit, she’s just told to “use her best judgement” or “be reasonable”

quote:

He can make me pay back pay. I was supposed to pay years ago but he said not to worry about it. Her dad and his wife totally enable this behavior. She used to come over and say “mommy says I don’t have to clean up because I’m a princess.” She also refuses to spend the night when she has school because she has to pack her own backpack and lunch.

She has a rich ex who was happy to not make her spend money re: their kid and now she's binned that situation. Jealousy and hate for her own kid seethe out of her every word. What a weirdo.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna bet that the aunt is on the mom's side of the family there.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

limp_cheese posted:

That competitive kid does sound a bit spoiled by her other parents but that doesn't make the grounding right and they obviously are not dealing with it in any kind of constructive way.

I'm basing the spoiled idea off of the princess comment and not wanting to pack her own backpack before school, but I will rescind my opinion if it turns out she is doing her share or chores around the houses. Otherwise it sounds like the other parents are setting her up for failure in life.

And not because she's a girl so she should clean, it's something everyone should learn how to do while young.

Yeah if the mom wasn't a POS about it, she might have a point about the spoiling. Of course, maybe if the mom wasn't an rear end in a top hat, the daughter might want to stay around enough to deal with the extremely minor inconvenience of packing her backpack and poo poo.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Space Skeleton posted:

A similar thing happened to my parents. They were dating for a while but their surviving parents started seeing each other and were about to get married. My parents went and eloped to get in ahead of them because they knew their parents would tell them to break up after they were married. My parents ended up having a traditional marriage a little later.

It was a sore spot between my parents and grandparents until my grandparents both died. It had to be hushed up like a dark family secret because it could be so upsetting to them.

My grandmother, a teacher and worldly woman, even worried I would be born with a disability because of it. She was not convinced I wasn't until I was old enough to start making coherent finger paintings and she decided I came out alright.

your grandma wasn't very good at genetics, was she

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hughlander posted:

My roommate ate my beans so I went to his Baldur Gate Three game and threw every item of his inventory down a cliff, and saved over his prior saves?

Didn’t we learn during the pandemic you should never jeopardize the beans?

I say this as someone who loves that game: he deserved it, don't take other people's poo poo.

I think they could have more economically hosed them over by just breaking up with whoever their love interest was though.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I pity that woman's undercarriage, jesus

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I've been a chainsmoker since I was 24. I'm not particularly proud of it (I've tried quitting numerous times) and I have complete understanding for some people who are very sensitive to it. I live alone so while I do usually smoke indoors, when I have guests over I always offer to go outside for my cigarette. At work I avoid sitting in the landscape office because I'm well aware some people will even find the residual smell of my smoke break off-putting. I've also never had a problem with many public spaces having become smoke-free.

I will say this however: there is a small subsection of people who do treat smokers like some people treated fat people 25 years ago. It's like they finally found a socially acceptable target to offload all their latent social anger onto. This rangers from strangers conspicuously fake-coughing when passing me by (while I'm a designated zone for smokers, no less) or random folk asking me if I'm aware smoking is bad for my health to some clearly convinced my nicotine addiction is, if not a huge moral failure, something I'm intentionally doing to upset others.

I think smoking made a lot of people very miserable for a very long time and the difference is crystal clear now that it's mostly gone from their lives. And maybe back in the smoking years, the miserable people were told to suck it up, it's not that bad, etc. So coming out with "people are rude to me because I smoke" is going to get some testy responses!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

Hey! There was an update to this!

UPDATE: AITAH for dumping my gf after moving in with her.

wait what's this about miscarriages??

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
At least their children will resemble him no matter what :v:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

AITAH for being upset that my family kept my sisters pregnancy a secret from me?

Well she's sure as hell upset now Mom!

After some discussion, she has a realization:

quote:

No. If anything, she was relieved when I was promoted because she’s always been a bit jealous of how close my sister and I were compared to how close she and my sister were.

Her own mom is loving jealous of how close her children are vs how close they are to her.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah let's think about the loving weird mom who's jealous of the relationship her own kids have!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Scathach posted:

Oof. I'm on the husband's side here though. She doesn't have other kids to take care of, she can leave the chores or whatever for him. His friend just lost his fiance, which has caused more than one man to implode and kill themselves. He hasn't even had the funeral yet. Yikes. Her lack of compassion is gonna kill the relationship.

She's on near full bedrest at 7 months, that's not normal at all. She's probably afraid she's going to die and her husband's leaving overnight to help a guy who has family living with him right now to watch and take care of him. She has an elderly aunt that he sends over to check "sometimes" and nothing else.

This is info from replies, of course. He didn't mention in the post that his friend has family living with him to support him right now and she has nothing else.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Scathach posted:

Oof. I'm on the husband's side here though. She doesn't have other kids to take care of, she can leave the chores or whatever for him. His friend just lost his fiance, which has caused more than one man to implode and kill themselves. He hasn't even had the funeral yet. Yikes. Her lack of compassion is gonna kill the relationship.

By the way, he says the friend can't come over because he has dogs, which his wife is afraid of. And I guess the friend can't have that family currently living with him take care of those dogs.

He just really doesn't want to do anything to take care of this problem that inconveniences anyone but his wife.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah we should have made the end of our older son's life shittier by letting his ex and his lovely brother show up and try to guilt him into assuaging their own guilt! -the mom, apparently

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shanghaied posted:

Is this from a far away country where birthday cakes are dirt cheap? 'Cause just lmao ruining multiple expensive cakes for your lovely joke year after year lol.

She's getting her money's worth since she enjoys doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

So he's fuckin a Kermit, right?