Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Just…wow. Pictures of the slanted straw that broke the camel’s back are at the link. Use of a level would have saved the towel rod but not the dying relationship.

The argument that led to the dissolution of my my 7 year relationship
I hung this, and it came out too crooked. One thing led to another, and it's been non stop arguing for 5 hours.

This was in the new house we bought together. Good times. 🙃

https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinfuriating/comments/1c3nnep/the_argument_that_led_to_the_dissolution_of_my_my/

Who says that the towel bar has to be straight? seems like the towel hangs there just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Does the massmurderer wash his rear end?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

WTF, those are just like... the second one basically looks like a poncho from a western. Like I wouldn't give a poo poo if they're flowery shawls, but even among shitheads, who looks at that and is threatened by a lack of masculinity?

Girls who grew up in the south and arent ready for the Big City Life apparently(by the way, is it mentioned which city this took place in?)
A man is not a man unless he is covered in pig poo poo and only wears old broken jeans and a wife beater with cum stains in the front. These are the type of girls who would break up if you DO wash your rear end

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Hughlander posted:

AITA for calling my SIL a racist after she compared my cooking to "making kung pao chicken"?

It sure as hell doesn't feel like a happy ending. Perhaps bittersweet justice, but that's all I can give you. Thank you all for your support and for reading.
OP sucks here. This is the definition of a happy ending

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

aardwolf posted:

If we're going through greatest hits, here's a story that's a little unbelievable but still a fun piece of writing:

Entitled Father tries to Kick me out of University

This Garfield prequel is weird as gently caress

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
AITA for wanting to finish a game of monopoly?

quote:

Me and two friends were playing a game of monopoly that took about 3-4 hours to get to the end. We all had hotels and money was going back and forth between us all; it was anyone’s game for most of it. Towards the end it was becoming clear that I was going to win, and finally one of the other players landed on my hotel. He did not have the money to pay, and according to the rules he at that point would have gone bankrupt and would have had to sell and hand over his properties. However this isn’t what happened.

Instead, both other players chose to end the game and forfeit. The reasons they chose to do this were as follows: the game was no longer fun, they were out of money and options, and that it was clear who the winner was going to be. They declared me the winner. The three of us argued for about an hour over this.

I argued that this was unfair, unsportsmanlike, and honestly seemed petty. The nature of the game monopoly is that you run out of money and options by then end. That is the intended way of losing; why would they agree to play monopoly if they weren’t prepared to lose (a 2/3 chance this case)?

Secondly, I believe they weren’t having fun specifically because they were losing, since they told me they were having fun in the beginning and middle of the game. If I were losing, I would finish the game out of mutual respect for the other players and so that the winner would get the benefits of winning (bragging rights and satisfaction of actually winning a game).

By leaving the game early, they rob the winner(me in this case) of that satisfaction. I didn’t actually win monopoly; I won by default because the other players forfeited. Leaving early in literally any other game is considered rude and unsportsmanlike, so why does this get a pass.

I think it was a selfish thing to do, even when 2/3 players were not having fun anymore. After all, most games only have one winner, and all three of us agreed to play the game.

Additionally the effort it would take to play out the last remaining rounds in minimal at most considering the game would move faster after a player is eliminated. I think it’s a common courtesy, but I’m not sure, aita?

Edit: there’s a lot of talk about the time spent playing and arguing but that is missing the point. We were all happy to spend that time playing, we were all aware of how long the game takes. It takes two to argue (3 in this case). Just because we spent a long time arguing doesn’t instantly make me the rear end in a top hat. I felt wronged and I wouldn’t have done what they did if I were in their shoes.

Edit 2: I believe there is a principal difference in winning a game by its intended way, and winning by forfeit. When you win a game by getting a checkmate or defeating all the enemies, and owning all the property, I believe the winner gets the satisfaction of a full game played and won to completion. I don’t believe this is the same as the opponent forfeiting, as they could concede for a variety of reasons.

If a player has a doctors appointment and has to leave, and they forfeit as a result, that win is far less fulfilling than an actual win. If someone forfeits just because they are upset about not winning, then they are a sore loser. If someone forfeits because they believe they will lose, even when the game has a formal process to end itself and determine the winner, then they weren’t actually interested in playing they game, they were interested in only winning - which is what I have a problem with.

Edit 3: I will not engage with replies that choose to insult me over a game of monopoly. It’s just a game guys, right?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
AITA for "being disrespectful" and telling my parents "good luck with that" when they tried to ground me?

quote:

I live at home while going to university. I'm in my final year and I have a job lined up after I graduate.

My parents have been charging me rent since I was 16. I have a small company that makes me about $60,000 a year. I started it in high school. It is one of the reasons I graduated early from high school and why I got attention from recruiters. My parents said that since I was earning adult money I could take in adult responsibilities.

I thought that was fair. So I paid for all my own stuff starting at age 16. Not university. I got a scholarship. And the rent they charged me was minor. $300 a month.

But I basically considered my room to be completely mine after that. I kept it tidy because I like it that way. But they had no say in when I cleaned it. When I did my laundry, other than to not do it at a time when I would disturb the family for example 3 AM. I bought food for myself and I ate when I wanted.

They tried to say I was separating myself from the family but I saw it more as having my own schedule.

This year for spring break I went down to Mexico with friends. My parents were upset because they were hosting a big Easter family get together.

When I got back they said I was behaving badly by not being around for a family gathering. I said it was my last spring break in university and that I was not responsible for their schedule.

They said I was grounded and I laughed and said good luck with that. I went to my room and locked the door. They tried banging on it for my attention but I'm done.

My grandfather came over to talk to me later. He is the one ho helped me get my company started and he is always there for me. He said that I was rude to my parents when they were trying to be there for me. I asked him how much rent he charged my mom when she lived at home. He said it was ridiculous to think he would charge his kids rent. I told him that I had been paying rent for four years.

He went into the house and I herd a fight. When he came out he said that I need to treat my parents with more respect but that since they are my landlords they do not have a say over how I spend my time.

I'm avoiding my parents for now and I'm renting on Airbnb right now until I graduate. I took everything that was important to me and I left $600 for the last two months I had planned on being there.

They keep calling me but I am currently getting ready to move for my new job. I don't have the energy to deal with them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
You are allowed to divorce for any reason, but do go on with it and dont give your wife false hope that you might accept her small boobs one day when you're not

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
He should be put on a watch list :dadjoke:

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
AITA for being mad my bf won't make noodles the way I like

quote:

Okay this sounds dumb, but hear me out. I have always been a picky eater especially when it comes to tomatoes. Ever since I was a kid my dad would make my spaghetti different from the rest of the house. I like having an essence of the sauce flavor on the noodles but not the overpowering flavor having noodles bathed in sauce creates. So, here's where it gets a bit odd, my dad would separate my spaghetti from the families after putting the sauce on and then would rinse the sauce off with the sink and strainer. I love noodles like this as it is a nice subtle tomato vibe given to the mild spaghetti.

My (20) boyfriend (26) has known about this since we first started dating. He always told me my food habits were cute. We have been dating for almost three years now and moved in together at the beginning of the pandemic so we could be in lock down together. Ever since we moved in together he insisted on taking charge of cooking and all cooking related tasks (dishes, grocery shopping, etc) and he assigned me the role of cleaning the bulk of the apartment. We split other tasks pretty much 50-50 too.

Everything was perfect and he always SEEMED so be making noodles the way I liked them when we had them. This was until last week when we last had spaghetti. We ate and everything was good but afterwards he started teasing my saying things like, "you really like your pasta with an 'essence' of tomato" and "how was your tomato 'essence' babe?" Always using finger quotes around the word essence. After a few comments I felt something was off and asked him if he had done anything differently with tonight's noodles than he usually does and he started laughing. When he finally stopped laughing he told me the whole truth while smirking. He said "I didn't do anything different than I USUALLY do. I have never been making it the way you have requested".

Apparently the entire time we've been living together he's just been skipping the pasta sauce on my noodles entirely! He claimed that if I didn't notice for this long then it shouldn't matter that he is making dinner in a way that is easier for him. I disagree entirely. I think the lying was a huge breach of trust and so was the refusal to make dinner how I wanted. I have admittedly been acting passive aggressively to him since, but he thinks he did nothing wrong, that I'm overreacting, and that I need to let it go. AITA?

Edit: My bf found the post and is not happy, I'm debating pouring the sauce directly down the drain to spite him

Edit 2: So a lot has happened since this morning. Y'all may be happy to hear we broke up. We had a huge blowup fight since he found the post which led to me breaking up with him. He did not like being called a predator and I started to think y'all had a point about that so I ended up breaking up with him. He attempted to plead with me a bit, my parents pay our rent so he can't afford the place without me, but I wouldn't budge.

Now some things I found out in the argument: First, he is not a pharmacist like he always told me, he just works at cvs. Second, he has actually cheated on me multiple times with other girls that go to my college. And lastly, and worst of all, he has never actually been allergic to dogs and just doesn't like them.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for leaving my boyfriend at the airport after he “pranked” the TSA with a dildo?

My boyfriend was annoyed and said I was overreacting

The boyfriend was annoyed. What a bummer. Only an rear end in a top hat would annoy other people on purpose, for their own amusement for example.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
AITA for kicking my mom out of my house because of how she reacted to her partner not liking my wife's chili?

quote:

My mom and I have just come off of a 3 year estrangement. Her and my wife hated each other from day one, just really clashed and my mom was going through some stuff in her personal life and acting out. We mutually agreed it wasn't fixable and we should go our separate ways.

I recently reconnected with her at a party and told her that I wanted to try and fix things. My wife supported this. My mom is with someone I'll call "Rob" I'm pretty sure they are engaged but to be honest not 100% sure. We've seen my mom a couple of times since reconnecting and I can tell she is really trying. She seems extremely anxious and too nervous to talk, so we are taking it really slow, but I do believe that is her trying.

Recently we invited my mom and Rob over. My wife was making chili in the crock pot and it was done but we weren't ready to eat. She had some tortilla chips and said that she likes dipping it in the chili and invited them to have some while we waited. rob took some and gagged. I don't think he did it on purpose and he seemed embarrassed, but my wife's chili is very sweet. She uses maple syrup, chocolate powder, cinnamon, and brown sugar. My mom laughed which upset my wife because has always been smug about not thinking my wife is a good cook.

I could see my wife getting annoyed and snapped at my mom. Rob looked kind of ill and excused himself. My mom stood there for a minute in silence and then bolted after him and started banging on the bathroom door and demanding to be let in. He was ignoring her and she started freaking out and said she wanted to be hugged (she has some anxiety and PTSD related stuff and he is her comfort person) Just as I got to the door to tell her to stop banging Rob let her in and I heard their conversation. Rob was saying they had to get out of here because he can't eat that chili. My mom was kind of teasing him about aww you didn't like it and telling him she served it with rice with raisins and sugar and a chocolate sauce (a lie), and he said it tasted like dog food with sugar and he was going to have nightmares.

I saw red and my mom was laughing. It just brought me back to how smug she used to be and how she looked down on us. When they came out I told her to leave. My mom got really quiet again and said it was creepy that I was standing outside of the bathroom door. She said she's been trying and she feels I'm looking for reasons to hate her. I told her to just go because I was too emotional to talk to her. She left willingly but Rob told me I can't just nitpick and kick her out and then think she is going to want to continue to put work into this relationship.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

PancakeTransmission posted:

Easy to confuse with the Cleveland Steamer

especially tastewise

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I think they're just large dogs because the only way you're fitting three wolves on a couch is if they're very young or you inherited Andre the Giant's furniture.

Crashing into parked cars may cause a lot of property damage but it also helps people get to work on time so it's impossible to say if it's good or bad.

Property damage is good but helping people get to work is bad.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

mystes posted:

I'm having trouble believing that requiring cellphones is much of a class filter in 2024.

Ok but 1. Your cellphone has to be a smartphone 2. It has to have battery left 3. The camera must not be broken 4. You have to be tech-literate enough to do the loving QR thing

All these things together make QR-code based restaurant pretty dang impractical. And for example I dont have a qr-code reader app installed on my phone, and I guess Im a boomer but if a restaurant or a store requires me to install a new app to proceed, Im probably going to hit da bricks

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

mystes posted:

Yes you do

Thats it Im going to Wendy's, and you bet Im going to tell the cashier all about this poo poo

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You don't need a QR app, you just point your camera in the camera app and the link will appear on your screen. On any Android I've used in the last four years anyway, I don't know about iOS

Which brings me to the point number 4 in my previous post.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
First they came for the Disney Land maps, and I said nothing. Then they came for the Applebee's menus

The Alchemist fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 18, 2024

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've never been to a restaurant that switched entirely to QR code menus, so I'm out of touch. Do they commonly go beyond that for ordering, if you don't have a smartphone could you just go "hey, you got any burgs" or whatever to the waitstaff to order something?

The waiters are roombas and the manager is an A.I. that hates the humankind.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Kind of ableist towards people with vision impairments to have pictures in your menu. Buffet is the only ethical type of serving food

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Almost three years doing some heavy lifting there. This one was definitely a borderline case, but the way I interpreted it she was 18 when they started dating

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Thats what you get for treating a boomer like an adult

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
She should stop showering altogether and see how many periods it takes until the guy gives up.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Sex Farm posted:

Nobody checks if the stories they post are literal abuse stories but it is okay because the people cracking jokes about them don't read the posts either so really you can't blame anyone for any of it, ever

Maybe Reddit was a mistake

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Butter Activities posted:

AITAH for leaving my perfect boyfriend because he’s Christian?Advice Needed

If you thought his takes on Australian wildlife are bad, ask him about palestinian war casualties

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Sanford posted:

Girlfriend has a secret conversation every morning and it’s making me crazy

AITA for wanting to know who my girlfriend was speaking to every morning?

Going to be homeless because my girlfriend won’t talk to me

This guy goes fully mask off in the end huh.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
The "deals" are either NFT or some other MLM scam

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

FMguru posted:

The term I've seen for dudes like that is "hobosexual" - someone whose relationships are primarily driven by how quickly they can move in with that person and start mooching off them for housing/food/transportation.

But what do the women get out of these?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Hughlander posted:

AITA for not explaining to my sister why she was stupid for asking me to share my art supplies.

YTA for enabling her entitled behaviour with your mom

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

AceClown posted:

if you didn't hate capitalism, consumerism and the continued destruction of the planet for cheap plastic tat enough....

Pretty weird to set up a business around this one very specific prank that I just heard of and already feel like its gotten old

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Maybe you didnt need to cuddle(is this code for loving?) for 20 minutes in such an important morning

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
nvm

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

S40CheckingAccount posted:

Some awfully notable walking back and worsening in the latter half of this one

"I never told her she couldn't get lunch made, I just heard my husband telling her and assumed she didn't want it when she never asked again"

The kids are the assholes, they should eat their stomachs full during the free lunch that is arranged by the school and kindergarten

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

I dont believe you dont.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Propaniac posted:

(there's no big hilarious twist in this long-ish post, I just found it oddly engaging)

(Also, the "monkey branching" thing does not get referenced again after the beginning)

I [36M] surprised wife [32F] by coming home early only to find another man [21?M] in our home late. Is this 'monkey branching" or just my difficult past influencing me?

When I was in my teens my dad gave me "the talk" and tried to tell something about women being monkeys up a tree or something. I just rolled my eyes and thought my dad had drank too much, but now Im seeing it being established lore among divorced redditors. Cringe as gently caress

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

I spent a ton of time helping 2 employees who hate each other … now they’re dating

Any advice? No. I came here to say "lol"

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

FMguru posted:

Dad raises his son with "tough love" so he'd be an hard-as-nails goal-focused independent go-getter, let's see how that worked.

My son despises me

Just think of how much more room your son has to focus on becoming a winner in life now that you've trained him to discard such frivolities as "giving a poo poo about my dad's health" and "wasting time even pretending to care about my dad's feelings". Good work, dad, huge success!

You need to grow up without any help, fun, or love from me, your father, because thats how I was raised and I came out fine. Now, how about you give some love and care for me??

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Kurieg posted:

AITAH for starting a fight at a wedding because a girl tried to see what was under my brother's kilt

Is it fine to share sexual assault stories of a minor if they happen to be male?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
There was one very similar where OP was writing erotic novel about their coworker and decided it was good idea to share it at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

TACD posted:

A friend-of-a-friend named their child “TJ”. That was their official, legal, birth certificate name.

Everyone's name will just be an emoji in the future.