Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrNut
Jan 17, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I wish more parents would think about how the name they think is so cool or quirky or deeply meaningful to them in them in the moment will affect their kid in the future. Name based bullying can be intense.

When I was around 12 my uncle was having a kid and actually got some of the older cousins together to run some of their chosen names by us to see how kids would react. Some of the names absolutely invited bullying and lovely nicknames or rhymed with something rude. He took those names off their list.

Your uncle is cool and wise. My parents were hippy dipshits who saddled me with a name you might think is cute for a colicky baby or a petite dog, but calling an adult man with a mortgage and 401k my name is just loving weird. My friends all know my name, but if I'm introduced to someone with whom I'm not likely to interact again, I'm just John. Parents should take a minute to think about the name they're hanging on this adult human for the rest of their life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrNut
Jan 17, 2012
Can we talk about the fruit tree situation? I will never jeopardize the fruit tree.

Content:

quote:

AITA for faking my giving birth?

I'll keep this as short as possible.
I (25f) am pregnant with the baby due in a couple of days. My husband (25m) promised that he would be the one to drive me to the hospital & that he will be glued to the phone until birth. He works only 10 minutes from our home & his boss agreed to let him go when the birth happens.

The problem is my mother-in-law. My husband & her have an unhealthily (IMO) strong bond & she is overly involved in our relationship which has caused many issues in the past. She requires his attention every day, she has suggested moving in with us ever since I became pregnant, she also has "emergencies" whenever we have anniversaries, important occasions (like my birthday) etc.

As the date is approaching I became increasingly worried that his mother will have an "emergency" during birth & I will have trouble getting to the hospital or will be forced to be alone during. I voiced my concerns & it caused fights between me & them. I even suggested asking my bsf to drive me & keep me company (as I'm scared of giving birth) but it was shot down with "how can't you trust your own husband?!".

So, I'm not proud of it but I faked giving birth yesterday. I called my hubby at work, told him it started, he said he will be right there. After half an hour, I called him to ask where he was & he didn't answer. After almost an hour he called me to say he is at the hospital with his mom because, guess what, she is having a medical emergency... Apparently he called her to tell her I am giving birth & she got "a heart attack" from excitement... He said he will have to miss my birth & actually asked me to call my friend to drive me & stay with me...

I admit, I was very angry & heartbroken so I told him I wasn't actually giving birth & that it was a test that showed me how he would actually behave vs what he said he would do & it that it proved he would always care for his mother more than for his own wife whose carrying his child. He was very angry & even blamed me for his mother's heart attack in that moment.

His mom of course didn't have a heart attack but a "false alarm". I felt very justified but now that we talked I feel guilty. He said he feels manipulated & gaslighted. That just because his mother lied about the emergency doesnt mean I should lie to him. He said that marriage is built on trust so I have to trust him instead of lying to him to prove a point. He even said that he didn't choose his mother over me but chose a "bigger emergency" & that he knew I could "handle getting to the hospital" but his mother needed him more & that a heart attack is more serious. I pointed out she lied but he said he "couldn't have known that" & that I was "just as bad for lying".

I feel like I'm going crazy. AITA?

Son found one just like dear old ma.