Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
did they eat the dog? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Didn't see it in the google doc and nobody's posted it, so does anyone have a link to/the text of the dog barbarian cousin? I always loved the poster's seething jealousy of her cousin who was just going through some poo poo

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Hughlander posted:

It's there...
I [16F] feel like my "cousin" [16-17M] is ruining my life, how can I make my Mom understand?

I must've scrolled right past it, whoops
Thank you though, it's still one of my all-time favorite posts :allears:

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

AITA for telling a parent at a youth hockey game to STFU

quote:

For context I'm a Junior A hockey official in Canada that helps the rookie officials in the minor hockey system at my local rink (unofficially. I don't have any affiliation with the local hockey association)

During a U11 game there was a rookie official (14M) working the game and a parent was unhappy about a call the ref had made (I'm assuming against her son) and she started to scream and swear at this young ref

She was only a few seats away from me and I essentially told her

"STFU it's a U11 game and these are children you're screaming at. Show some loving respect, the game wouldn't be happening without the refs"

We went back and forth but it ended with her leaving the seating section on her own accord

After the game I was in the referee room going over the game and I heard a knock on the door, and when I opened it I was surprised to see the same woman looking back at me. She started yelling at me that I shouldn't have embarrassed her like that in front of the other parents on the team, and that she's allowed to yell at refs, which her reasoning was "If they can't take a couple jeers then they shouldn't be referees"

I told her to go gently caress her hat

Obviously she put in a complaint against me which didn't go anywhere but some people I've told the story to have told me I should have been less abrasive towards the woman

I get that referees are generally criticized by the crowd and other players and when I officiate I'm fine with it because at a higher level of hockey (or any sport for that matter), she's correct in the fact we need to have thick skin. However, I highly dislike seeing young officials quitting due to abuse from minor hockey coaches and parents

So AITA?

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

AITAH for not agreeing to serve non-vegan food at a vegan wedding?

quote:

I own a venue and restaurant that is often used for weddings, and a vegan street food truck, along with a few other venues.

Because of the vegan food truck and the fact the restaurant has a reputation for good vegan, and vegetarian food, we were booked to host and cater for a very large and prestigious wedding. All of the bride's family are vegan, and so are most of the couple's guests, but the groom's family are not.

The wedding is in May and last week the couple sent out a menu choices email to all the guests with the vegan menu listing the dishes they have chosen. The whole menu is vegan including the cake which I am baking myself.

To make sure everything is both Kosher and vegan we are deep cleaning the kitchen the day before and will be doing a special vegan night at the restaurant so there is no chance of any cross-contamination

Since the menu email was sent I have been approached about 10 times form different guests who have asked for non-vegan food i.e they want meat. I have refused because it's not my wedding to plan and this is what the couple want. I and my staff have in each case said no, and please talk to the couple.

We spoke to the wedding party last night and they are happy we said no and sent out an email to everyone saying it's vegan or nothing.

The groom's parents have since exploded on the phone about an hour ago at us for 'dobbing them in' and ruining their wedding because they didn't want anyone to know that they and their children had asked for no vegan food.

Since the call we've had loads of comments on our review sites about how our vegan food is crap and not really vegan. I'm having them taken down but am I the rear end in a top hat for not just giving them the food and keeping the peace?

TLDR: The wedding party want vegan, groom's parents don't, they want me to do meat for them and I said no.

Menu on arrival • Chickpea falafels with hummus or beetroot dip • Cauliflower buffalo bites • Vegan “mozzarella” sticks • Veggie sticks with bean dip • “Grazing boards” filled with nuts, dried fruit, flatbreads, vegan cheeses, and seeds (think charcuterie boards, but without the meat and dairy) • Vegetable rolls in rice paper • Risotto balls • Sweet potato fries

First course: • Massaged kale salad with avocado and lime dressing • Heirloom tomato salad • Gazpacho • Thai coconut soup

Entrée: • Zucchini noodle pasta and lentil-mushroom “meatballs” • Eggplant parmesan (with nut-based cheese) • Stuffed acorn squash with cranberry sauce (great for fall or winter weddings) • Grilled veggie tacos with avocado, salsa, and vegan queso • Mushroom-quinoa burger with sweet potato fries

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

That one's just sad, can we not with those

Pomme de Terror fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 30, 2024

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

CONTENT - GUESS THOSE SPOILERS
AITA for keeping my name change a secret for five years?

quote:

So, my (26F) parents decided to name my sister and I after American states. I have permission to share her name (Arizona) and I was called Pennsylvania at birth. Yea, my parents are weird. I guess they thought geographical names were cool but I think there’s a huge difference between calling your child Arizona or Dakota or Paris Vs Pennsylvania. They’re massive republicans and America lovers so maybe they wanted to be patriotic.

For as long as I can remember, everyone has called me Penn or Penny. My parents insisted that everyone was to call me by my full name but most people could see how ridiculous my parents are.

My sister (28F) didn’t struggle as much with her name since Arizona just sounds better than Pennsylvania, and the Greys anatomy character Arizona Robbins made the name seem quite cool as we got older. I was mocked and teased as a child in elementary school because of my parents insistence on my full name. They would literally berate my teachers for letting me write ‘Penny’ on my work/books.

When I was 21, I got my name legally changed to Penelope. Most people I had met in college had assumed that I went by Penny as a nickname for Penelope, even my boyfriend’s mother called me Penelope because I was too embarrassed to tell her that Penny was short for Pennsylvania. I kept it a secret from my parents and close family because I knew my parents would go mental and accuse me of disrespecting their choice.

I’m getting married this summer to my lovely boyfriend Tom (31M) and as you all know, you have to say your full name in your wedding ceremony when doing your vows. I knew I had to fess up about the name change because the alternative would be hoping they kept quiet when they heard me say ‘I, Penelope’ instead of ‘I, Pennsylvania’.

I invited them over to my home and I tried to tell them in a really calm way that I had changed my name but they freaked out. They said that I was disrespectful, I was calling their choice dumb etc. They are refusing to attend the wedding now.

I know i’m not the AH for changing my name, but my parents are particularly pissed about how I kept it hidden for five years before telling them. Most people I know agree with them. They think that I should’ve had the courage to be honest with them years ago so they would’ve had time to get used to it instead of me dropping the news on them two months before my wedding and causing all this drama. A few other family members have dropped out and my poor sister (who is maid of honor) is having a nightmare with this. My parents believe they had the right to know much earlier.

Tldr, parents think I am the AH for keeping this a secret. AITA?

Edit: I know I could ask the officiant/priest to say Penny instead of Penelope but I don’t want to hide my real name on my wedding day.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Was expecting this to be way more unreasonable by the title

AITA for paying for my oldest’s dream wedding but not my youngest since she will not do my two conditions

quote:

I am willing to pay for all my children’s wedding if they follow two conditions. The venue needs to be wheelchair friendly. They must invite all family unless for an extreme reason. Anything else is fine and I will fund the wedding.

My elder wedding was around 40k and I payed for it all. My youngest is planning her wedding and I told her the conditions when she got engaged. Last week she informed me she found her venue and is asking for the downpayment for it. The venue is in the mountains and it is not wheelchair friendly. The paths are dirt, the doors are not big enough, a ton of stairs. I reached out to the venue and they have almost nothing for disabilities

I informed my daughter today that I will not be paying since the venue breaks the first condition. This is where the argument started.

She thinks I am a jerk and playing favorites. I reminded her their were conditions for me paying and she didn’t follow them.

Edit: to clarify, we have multiple family members who use a wheelchair. So wheelchair rule

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

AITA for telling a girl to 'go back to the kitchen'?

quote:

I (23M) have been dating my boyfriend Jake (22M) for a good 6 years now, so I'm well acquaintanced with his family. The girl woman I said this to was his sister, Amelia.

I was raised by a single mum who worked 2 jobs to support us. So I grew up doing a lot of housework and in her free-time, my mum taught me to cook. I like to think I'm pretty drat good at cooking, I cook for myself, for my boyfriend and sometimes his family. I have sensory issues and my boyfriend is allergic to a few things so I'm pretty good at finding work-arounds to accommodate people, including Amelia, so she's well aware that I can cook.

Anyway, she came over yesterday and sat down at the island(?) in the kitchen, I don't quite quite know how to describe it but basically she was on the other side, and I was in at the counter, back turned to her, making some lasagna. My specialty, so I turned around to ask if she would like something and she promptly burst out laughing. I was confused and she just kinda pointed at my apron. I was more confused, my apron was pretty normal, plain blue.

She then told me she'd never have thought I was the girl of the relationship. I assume this was a reference to my physicality, I'm pretty tall and do a lot of sports. I dithered, confused, and she 'explained' that I was cooking. I just continue staring, not quite sure what she meant. She then explained, as though I was a toddler, that cooking is for girls and the apron made me look like a 90s housewife.

The funny part about all of this is that Amelia CANNOT cook. I told her if cooking is for girls maybe she should go back to the kitchen so she could learn. I would be more than willing to teach her. She went red in the face and stormed off.

I went back to my cooking.

This morning quite a few of my friends have contacted me telling me I, of all people, should know better than to perpetuate gender stereotypes. Some of them agreed with me after hearing the context (which amelia did not tell them) but others said I did not need to sink to her level.

IMO, I thought that would show her how weird it was to perpetuate gender roles when she herself doesn't fit within them. But maybe I could have tried explaining first, AITA?

edit: Amelia is not a child, she's 24.

edit2: showed the post to the other friends and yh they don't think I'm the AH anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Expected this one to be way worse based off the title

AITA for ignoring our daughter’s inconvenient boundary?

quote:

My wife (39f) and I (36f) have a daughter (technically my stepdaughter but I’ve raised her since she was 5) (19f) from a previous relationship of my wife’s (her father is not in the picture) who has come back home after her first year at uni. She’s picked up a new (and problematic) issue since she was last home for an extended period of time, surrounding laundry.

Basically, she has established a “boundary” where nobody is to touch her clothes. Her reasoning is that she’s concerned something will go missing/get damaged, thinks it’s just gross for us to go through her stuff, and is an adult who deserves privacy. All fine, we have 3 young children in our home (9f, 9f and 2m) so plenty of washing to keep us entertained.

The issue is that she has a habit of monopolising washing facilities to the extent where we’re effectively prevented from being able to get any other laundry done. For example, last weekend she put a wash in before work and hung it out on the line at around 11am. She then left for work (12pm-10pm) - her wash was dry within an hour, and obviously she wasn’t going to be back all day. We had a few days worth of washing to get through, so my wife (her mum) took everything off the line and folded it. We got through 5 other loads that day.

She was NOT happy when she got home, and said that she’d been very clear that we weren’t to touch her things. When we explained the situation above, she said it was “first come, first served” (not something we’ve ever said) and that since the next day was due to be nice also, we should’ve just waited to get through it the next day. That really pissed us off.

We’ve offered her a weekly laundry day, where we’ll avoid using the machines so she can have freedom to do as she pleases on that day, but she said once a week won’t cut it. Fair enough, but there are 5 other people in the house that need clean clothes/bedding/towels. Other than that all we can really suggest is that she keeps on top of her washing. If she’s at home we’ll ask her to clear her clothes from the machine/dryer/washing line as needed, but like any 19 year old she has a social life/work commitments and is often busy.

She’s upset because she says we’re not respecting her boundaries, whereas we’ve pointed out that while “don’t move my clothes” is objectively reasonable, it’s not fair for her to do so at the inconvenience of everyone else in our home. Essentially the last conversation we had ended up with her in tears because we said as long as situations like Saturday keep occurring, we’ll continue to move her stuff. Just FYI, we do fold her clothes carefully, and leave them in a basket in a communal living area so they’re kept together, in good condition, and we’re not going in and out of her room.

We normally have a good relationship with her, so this is all a bit unusual. We’ve asked her if everything else is okay, and she says yes and seems otherwise normal in and of herself, and she’s normally reasonable so - are we being unreasonable?

EDIT: So the consensus is pretty much that we’re right, and our daughter is being massively unreasonable, and that we’re being pushovers for not being tougher on her from the off. We‘ve shown her the comments, and unfortunately she’s still insisting that we’re the unreasonable ones.

We’d never considered the local laundromat, and have banned her from using our washing machine for the next fortnight given she’s still unwilling to adjust. She‘a absolutely FURIOUS, and wife has ordered a lock for the washroom door to enforce the 2 week rule. Hopefully a couple of weeks hauling her stuff to and from will help her see the light. Thanks very much all!!