Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Time to pick some anime names for the grandparents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Lol, goddamnit, I need to know what their lineup/range naming scheme is. What is the ocelot? What is 3000? What is RX?!

Must have been a hail-mary by the sales team too, the top google results now are videos about GTA5 and the top search result is this thread. (I was searching for a friend)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Another classic

AITA for hiding embarrassing notes in my house as a joke because I know my fiance's mom snoops?

quote:

I bought a house seven years ago and I met my fiance, Al, four years ago This year he moved in. We're talking about making it a home for both of us.

But as of now, he hasn't moved much stuff in, right now 95% of the stuff and furniture in the house is mine.

When his mom comes over, she's kind of a snoop. He was used to that, but when she comes to our house, it's so uncomfortable because she's just going through my poo poo.

When I am bothered, she's like "I was just helping with chores" etc. He says I should just let her because she has "a lot of nervous energy"

One thing she snooped on was actually embarrassing. In my home office, I had a little "affirmation" post it note on my monitor saying "I am smart, I am skilled, I am deserving of great things" It was a silly thing my therapist recommended to get me in a confident mindset before an interview.

Anyway, she made a comment to about my ego...

But as a joke, I decided to do it again. I had my best friend over and we got wine drunk and wrote a bunch of "affirmations" to hide.

Some were:

Medicine cabinet: My teeth will regrow! I am sharklike and powerful!

Kitchen drawers: I know when to spoon, but I also know when to fork! I am sexy and self assured!

Work desk: I will not just gently caress my way to the top of the company, I will gently caress my way to the top of the world!

Walk in closet: I am beautiful with clothes and without! Especially without! My boobs are legendary!

There were a bunch more, and my friend and I had a hilarious time writing them.

Next time my MIL came over she saw a few. And she didn't acknowledge them to me even though she definitely started acting a little weird about me.

I went to run some errands and when I was out, she confronted Al about the notes and was trying to tell him that I seemed unstable, egotistical, and moving in was a bad idea. She showed him the notes and he didn't really know what to make of it.

He asked me and I said that they were just some silly private notes to boost my self confidence and make myself laugh; how had she gotten them? Had she been going through my things?

He said she was just tidying, and saw them. And they were real weird.

I was like 'have you met me? You should know how weird I am. Anyway if you don't want your mom seeing my weird poo poo you've got to stop letting her go through my poo poo"

He asked if I left them on purpose to annoy her, and I admitted that was kinda the joke, but I also have other weird or private poo poo so what I said about her needing to stop snooping if she didn't want to find weird crap was still for real.

He said I was making stuff hard for him, his mom was really protective and adjusting to him moving in with a girlfriend for the first time, and I was agitating her on purpose and making her think I wouldn't be a good partner, when he wanted her to have the opposite impression of me!

AITA for the note prank?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Dude is also mad to find out that "best friend" isn't a permanent label you can slap on someone. It sucks to not have a best friend but you gotta put the work in as an adult. He's also mad that his "best friend" didn't take his side when he hosed over someone he had promised to care for. I've dumped best friends in the past when they showed me how quickly and totally they could turn on people when it suited them. It sucks at first but if they're lying to you then they're not even a good friend so you're better off without them.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

That phrasing of lying about someone having an accident sounds like the guy has access to first responder radio. My money's on cop.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

FMguru posted:

Got an update. tl;dr - OP cooled down enough to go back and take the money, then blocked his parents (again) on everything and started his new life

UPDATE on telling my parents to shove their money. (self.AITAH)

What's the "girlfriend" supposed to be? He said he never had time for a relationship. Is that a check to himself?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mx. posted:

The name is "a very common word for a woman’s breasts that starts with a T."

E. Buzz Millerishly: Titian

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Samovar posted:

Yeah, but then you could apply that same logic to blinking or sneezing, and then the logic becomes a bit daft.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Shanghaied posted:

And the 80/20 split of all assets, not just premarital assets, also sounds super dubious. A prenup is generally concerned with the spouses' assets acquired prior to marriage. No lawyer would draft a prenup like that

Plus I'm pretty sure you don't automatically take on your spouse's student loan debt, not unless you actively co-sign it.

It's fake ragebait.

Edit: Also OP says they're both in tech but also they're in Florida. Does Florida even have a non-negligible tech sector?

Florida + tech = crypto

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My mom is like this when it comes to laundry. You never taught me or my sister how to do it and like hell were we paying attention when we were young enough for you to drag us to the laundromat against our wills; write it down and I will do it according to the instructions but don't you dare give me poo poo for not knowing an important thing you never friggin' taught me :mad:
(She will not write it down, she'll just passive aggressively sigh and do it herself and lessons will continue to not be taught)

1. Separate whites, colours and synthetic/delicates
2. Put loads of separated laundry INSIDE the machine until it's full or you're out of clothes
3. TRICKY (requires reading!): Put the appropriate amount of detergent in the load
4. Use a warm cycle for the whites/colours and a cold cycle for the synthetics/delicates
5. Press the START button
6. Take the laundry out and put it in the dryer
7. Turn the loving dryer on and wait, jfc it's not complicated

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

the trick is to screw the hose onto the spigot before you turn the water on

How will I know if the water's on then?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Shanghaied posted:

The post does highlight something that's been at the back of my mind for a while - what's the point of using fake first names on AITA? It doesn't matter to random redditors if the names are real, they are just names. As for the people involved, if they don't read AITA then it doesn't matter if the names are real, they are not gonna know that you posted about them in any case. And if they read AITA then they're going know that you posted, fakes names or not, because the situations are extremely specific.

I assume it's to protect the principal characters from being outed to third parties. The people in the story will be able to recognise themselves but nosy cousins or work colleagues shouldn't have enough to ID anybody from the post alone.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

He's got a PhD, is an adjunct professor/lab assisstant and still needs to pick up a few shifts at the bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

LOL but is that just fake or do they plug a brand of suitcase in the comments? Most rollies would fall apart in less than a quarter mile of trail dragging