Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

regularly beating the poo poo out of myself for being a loving wop/mickey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Well okay then, my Kraut Wop-Mick friend..."

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Valko posted:

Everywhere else on the planet you would be called American.

I was on some cam chat site once. A guy in his 60's with an american accent appeared on screen. He asked where I was from and I said Ireland. He looked shocked and told me he couldn't speak to me because he was Italian and Italians are racist against the Irish. Bullshit. He was American and the people he was being racist to were also American.

I've been to Italy and had a great time there.

that guy is also talking out of his arse, fwiw

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I believe Valko

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I've always found the idea that if one is American they can't be Irish curious. People can have more than one of these sorts of identities. I'm not going to tell my neighbor that they are either a kiwi or a Filipino, not both.

Anyway, to address the really important topic, grimace and his uncle o'grimacey are giant sentient ballsacks, so those aren't nipple clamps.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
The only thing the Irish Americans ever did right was sending guns and money back to the motherland.

Also if anyone's hosed we could do an Irish effort thread. I'd post about Irish political minutiae.

It'd at least give FF an excuse to post about the inniskillings or the Connaught Rangers and to further out himself as a Jacobite.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I do believe an italian american would believe that tho

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

RedSky posted:

The only thing the Irish Americans ever did right was sending guns and money back to the motherland.

Also if anyone's hosed we could do an Irish effort thread. I'd post about Irish political minutiae.

It'd at least give FF an excuse to post about the inniskillings or the Connaught Rangers and to further out himself as a Jacobite.

Didn't they invade Canada?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Valko posted:

Everywhere else on the planet you would be called American.

I was on some cam chat site once. A guy in his 60's with an american accent appeared on screen. He asked where I was from and I said Ireland. He looked shocked and told me he couldn't speak to me because he was Italian and Italians are racist against the Irish. Bullshit. He was American and the people he was being racist to were also American.

I've been to Italy and had a great time there.

yep

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

Weka posted:

Didn't they invade Canada?

Yeah fair enough the Fenian Raids were cool. Irish history is pretty good. Pick your favourite doomed rebellion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_uprisings

Weka
May 5, 2019

I was taught in school that the easter rising never hoped to succeed it was supposed to be a bunch of dead irishmen as a rallying point and it worked. Confirm/deny?

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
No it turned into a rallying point of dead Irish people - but it was supposed to succeed.

The quick version is that the Irish Volunteers were supposed to position 100,000 men in Dublin in time for the Rising but were countermanded by quarrelling leadership. The Volunteers don't show up and the other paramilitary forces, like The Irish Citizen Army (Connollyite Communists, this is our team) go ahead with the plan for the rising with a tiny percentage of the manpower they were supposed to have, after that it's running battles in the streets of Dublin, Anglo Irish aristocrats discharging revolvers at british soldiers, lesbian nurses dodging machine gun fire to relay orders between the rebels. Eventually the gunboat Helga sailed up the Liffey and shelled the general post office after which the leadership, many of whom were injured, surrendered.

Within 6 years the Anglo Irish treaty would be signed, the civil war would begin, the bad guys would win and the Irish free state would be formed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Presumably the brits backed the whites (whatever the non-communist faction was called)? Did they figure it was gonna happen eventually, may as well have a regime that's unlikely to spread across the irish sea and kick off stuff on the (british) mainland?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Thanks RedSky, micks did used to be cool

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

Milo and POTUS posted:

Presumably the brits backed the whites (whatever the non-communist faction was called)? Did they figure it was gonna happen eventually, may as well have a regime that's unlikely to spread across the irish sea and kick off stuff on the (british) mainland?

I'm waiting to sit down to the PC so I can *just post* on the subject.

Weka posted:

Thanks RedSky, micks did used to be cool

Maybe they can be cool again?

RedSky has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Apr 15, 2024

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

DaysBefore posted:

Now they're too busy drinking potato vodka and hanging out in the local bog. Smh
the one in hte middle kinda has hillary clinton vibes lol

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

Milo and POTUS posted:

So, after 1916 happened, a bunch of the survivors of the Rising, their family members, etc contested the 1918 general election as Sinn Féin (which is distinct from the modern political party of the same name), they won a landslide victory, refused to take their seats in Westminster and formed the first Dáil.

The Brits refused to recognise the Dáil and Sinn Féin declared the Irish Republic in response, on the same day as the first meeting of the Dáil some Irish Volunteers ambushed an Royal Irish Constabulary convoy moving gelignite. This is the Soloheadbeg Ambush and its generally considered the opening shots of the Anglo-Irish War.
The Irish Volunteers soon became The Irish Republican Army (again, distinct from the IRA(s) of the 1960s onwards). The IRA won that war, which was a 2 year guerilla campaign against the British Army and its irregulars, the Black and Tans*, the Auxiliaries and various Unionist groups. The war ended with the Anglo Irish treaty.

This is when the civil war began and this has a much more recognizable character for many people, as it was the pro-treaty IRA vs the anti-treaty IRA. The Pro treaty IRA comprised of urban bourgeoise/petit boug and big farmers. The anti treaty IRA consisted of small farmers, peasants, radicalised proles and what was left of the Irish left at the time. So the pro-treaty IRA do indeed play the role of the Whites and they are armed with... Artillery by the British and as we know in CSPAM, artillery wins wars. The anti-treaty IRA declared itself dissolved and after a spat of executions by the new statists and a handful of assassinations on behalf of the anti-treaty forces the Irish Civil War came to an end. The Pro Treaty IRA became Cumman na nGaedheal (coo-mon na nyaal). The Anti-treaty people would resurface as Fianna Fáil and take part in government. The Irish Free State was then formed and in my opinion the character of the state was one of Theocratic Fascism, the miserable Ireland, Holy Ireland image of the country was formed in this time period.
Anti-communism was de rigueur and the new state practiced it heavily, backed on a civil level by the Roman Catholic Church. In 1932 Fianna Fáil won the general election and the anti-treaty side took the reins. in 1937 Bunreacht an hÉireann (a new Irish constitution) would come into force, which would remove much of the still present British cultural influence from Irish civil society, no more swearing an oath to the sitting monarch for example. The Irish Free State is dissolved and the very minimalist Éire, is adopted as the name of the state. The state name would change once again in 1948 with The Republic of Ireland act, which is current.

But the Irish Republic I live in is not the Republic of 1916, not even loving close. The nation became an even more impoverished reactionary shithole after the revolutionary period and it would be the 1970's when Ireland became European before the country would begin to develop in a more openly civil sense.

*After the war in Ireland in the Black and Tans, which was a mad dog unit comprised of WW1 vets would soon find employment once again oppressing the people of British (Mandatory) Palestine.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYLxkGz00d0

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

nice obelisk idiot posted:

the one in hte middle kinda has hillary clinton vibes lol

prove it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

RedSky posted:

So, after 1916 happened, a bunch of the survivors of the Rising, their family members, etc contested the 1918 general election as Sinn Féin (which is distinct from the modern political party of the same name), they won a landslide victory, refused to take their seats in Westminster and formed the first Dáil.

The Brits refused to recognise the Dáil and Sinn Féin declared the Irish Republic in response, on the same day as the first meeting of the Dáil some Irish Volunteers ambushed an Royal Irish Constabulary convoy moving gelignite. This is the Soloheadbeg Ambush and its generally considered the opening shots of the Anglo-Irish War.
The Irish Volunteers soon became The Irish Republican Army (again, distinct from the IRA(s) of the 1960s onwards). The IRA won that war, which was a 2 year guerilla campaign against the British Army and its irregulars, the Black and Tans*, the Auxiliaries and various Unionist groups. The war ended with the Anglo Irish treaty.

This is when the civil war began and this has a much more recognizable character for many people, as it was the pro-treaty IRA vs the anti-treaty IRA. The Pro treaty IRA comprised of urban bourgeoise/petit boug and big farmers. The anti treaty IRA consisted of small farmers, peasants, radicalised proles and what was left of the Irish left at the time. So the pro-treaty IRA do indeed play the role of the Whites and they are armed with... Artillery by the British and as we know in CSPAM, artillery wins wars. The anti-treaty IRA declared itself dissolved and after a spat of executions by the new statists and a handful of assassinations on behalf of the anti-treaty forces the Irish Civil War came to an end. The Pro Treaty IRA became Cumman na nGaedheal (coo-mon na nyaal). The Anti-treaty people would resurface as Fianna Fáil and take part in government. The Irish Free State was then formed and in my opinion the character of the state was one of Theocratic Fascism, the miserable Ireland, Holy Ireland image of the country was formed in this time period.
Anti-communism was de rigueur and the new state practiced it heavily, backed on a civil level by the Roman Catholic Church. In 1932 Fianna Fáil won the general election and the anti-treaty side took the reins. in 1937 Bunreacht an hÉireann (a new Irish constitution) would come into force, which would remove much of the still present British cultural influence from Irish civil society, no more swearing an oath to the sitting monarch for example. The Irish Free State is dissolved and the very minimalist Éire, is adopted as the name of the state. The state name would change once again in 1948 with The Republic of Ireland act, which is current.

But the Irish Republic I live in is not the Republic of 1916, not even loving close. The nation became an even more impoverished reactionary shithole after the revolutionary period and it would be the 1970's when Ireland became European before the country would begin to develop in a more openly civil sense.

*After the war in Ireland in the Black and Tans, which was a mad dog unit comprised of WW1 vets would soon find employment once again oppressing the people of British (Mandatory) Palestine.

Effortposting ftw

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
i'm writing a pantsuit gait analysis engine as we speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

This was cute, but the characters being portrayed are Irish American.

Which is very distinct from an Irish person.