Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Tarot cards were originally created for entertainment, not divination. And here they are used for entertainment once again. But they will dictate your fate!

Despite all the rules this is a simple game! There are 13 players, 3 scum, 10 town; two wincons, no alignment changes, and no homunculi. All roles and rules are laid out here; individual roles will have more specific information but the roles won’t change.

I would describe this one as role madness-light. Nobody is vanilla, but most roles are one-shot, some are rechargeable, and some are passive.

Win condition, town: When all scum have been dealt out of the game
Win condition: scum: When you control the vote
If somehow a day begins with 1 scum and 1 town, scum win.

Here is the deal: 13 players are randomly divided into 10 town and 3 scum, as usual. Then each town player is dealt one card from the 22 cards in the Tarot deck's Major Arcana, and the scum are dealt 6 cards, from which they pick 3 as roles, discard one, which will go into the Daily Deck, and keep the others as their Secret Scum Stash. They can be used as fake claims, and the scum team will know where they are, but can't use them.

The remaining cards will be used to guide the day and night actions; this is the Daily Deck.

Any role can go to either town or scum. Some roles have slight variations depending on alignment (see below).

Eliminations will be by plurality, not majority, unless the Daily Deck card dictates otherwise.

Night actions are performed as usual, unless the Daily Deck card dictates otherwise.

HOWEVER…

Because of the possibility of players returning to the game or speaking in thread after death, players are only mostly dead, won’t be spoiled, and will go into LIMBO, where they are free to talk among themselves. When certain conditions apply, players will move from Limbo to the Afterlife and at that point they are most sincerely dead and can be spoiled.

A card that appears in the Daily Deck will never be assigned to a player. However, cards assigned to players can be shuffled into the Daily Deck after the players holding them exit this mortal coil and ascend to the Afterlife.

All the roles, and all the variations in the Daily Deck, are set out here. You do not have to read them, I can't make you.

Conditions if the following cards are drawn to rule the Day:

0. The Fool. Tonight’s scum kill will not have a card flip. The card will not go into Limbo but will be shuffled directly into the Daily Deck and the player will move directly into the Afterlife.

1. The Magician. No powers will work today or tonight except the scum kill.

2. The High Priestess. Tonight’s scum kill will not die or be identified until Dusk tomorrow.

3. The Empress. If the Emperor is in the game and is town, they will be mod-confirmed as such. (innocent child)

4. The Emperor. If the Empress is in the game and is town, they will be mod-confirmed as such. (Innocent child)

5. The Hierophant. A random card removed from the Secret Scum Stash will be shuffled into the Daily Deck.

6. The Lovers. Tonight, all players will be randomly paired. Each pair will be given a private chat for as long as both survive, to the end of the game. Depending on the number of players, there could be a ménage a trois.

7. The Chariot. Any powers used tonight except the scum kill will affect random players rather than their intended targets.

8. Strength. Today the elimination must be by MAJORITY rather than plurality.

9. The Hermit. If the vote is tied today, both players will die. If more than two players are tied, two will be selected at random.

10. The Wheel of Fortune. All cards of players in Limbo are shuffled into the Daily Deck (and the players are now most sincerely dead and move on to the Afterlife); then this card is discarded and another card is drawn.

11. Justice. Today you will use up to the first 24 hours of the day to vote for a Governor. The Governor then has the remaining hours to select the day’s elimination.

12. The Hanged Man. Today’s elimination will die but will not be flipped, and the day will then continue for another 24 hours, culminating in a second elimination. Both eliminations will flip simultaneously.

13. Death. Everyone in Limbo may post freely in the game thread today. They cannot vote or be voted.

14. Temperance. Any scum players in Limbo will have their cards shuffled into the Daily Deck and will leave Limbo for the Afterlife.

15. The Devil. A random player in Limbo will be able to establish a private chat with a player of their choice for the rest of the game (if town) or will be able to return to post in the scum chat (if scum).

16. The Tower: The Day proceeds under default rules. However, for Night action all Town players have a vigilante shot and must select a target (or will be considered to have targeted themself). The Scum do not have a night kill but will select which Town player gets the only bullet. (Oops! all vigilantes!)

17. The Star. The Fool has two votes today and will be confirmed as Fool as soon as they vote. This card is discarded at Lylo or after Day 5, whichever comes first.

18. The Moon. Today’s elimination will not have their card flipped. The card will be shuffled directly into the Daily Deck, and the player will ascend directly to the Afterlife. The thread will stay open at night with no posting restrictions.

19. The Sun. Night will be skipped; the next day will begin as soon as this day ends.

20. Judgment. Today’s elimination will have their card flipped but will not die. This card is permanently discarded at Lylo or after Day 5, whichever comes first.

21. The World. All rechargeable powers will be recharged and available tonight. These powers do not stack. If you have not used your one-shot, it won’t be recharged.

The roles determined by the cards held by players are of four types.

A. One-use ONLY burnout powers

5. Hierophant*—pick one card to be discarded for the duration of the game. If the card is in the Daily Deck it will be discarded. No effect if the card is assigned to a player.
6. Lovers—any Night you may pick one partner for the game, you are nonconfirmed masons for the duration of the game. If one of you dies the other will as well
8. Strength—First attempt to eliminate you will result in the player with the next-highest vote count dying instead (One-shot lynchproof.)
12. Hanged man—votebomb, upon your death you will kill the last person who voted for you
13. Death*—without seeing the card, may cause current daily card to be discarded, and the day and night will proceed with default rules.
14. Temperance*—At night, you may peek at next day’s card and choose to reshuffle the deck so that another card (most likely) comes up instead
16. The Tower—claim vigilante. Choose a player at night and guess their role card. If correct that player will die. If blocked, this power is spent and cannot be recharged.
17. The Star—dayvig, unblockable.
18. The Sun—restore a player in Limbo back into the game
21. The World--once per game, at night, you can request to see all powers in effect that night (except for the scum kill), and can choose either to block one power, or know which player possesses one power. If you are blocked, or if there are no active powers, this ability is expended.

*For those powers that affect the card of the day, only one action can be used each night, and the order is: Hierophant, Death, Temperance. (For example: If both Death and Temperance attempt to use their power on the same night, only Death will succeed, but Temperance can try again.)

B. Rechargeable powers (1x until recharged)

1. Magician—roleblock
7. The Chariot—bus drive
11. Justice—jailkeeper
15. The Devil—tracker
18. The Moon—watcher
20. Judgment—cop/rolecop

C. Continuing use powers.

0. The Fool—may use the power that goes with the current daily card, except that the Fool may only ever use one burnout power during the game.
2. The High Priestess—bodyguard
21. The Wheel of Fortune—each night may recharge the power of one player. This action will not recharge burnout powers. May not target the same player on successive nights.

D. Passive powers

3. Emperor—if scum, you are a GF and will read as town if you are investigated. If town, you are almost vanilla. If the Empress is also in the game, and is town, you and the Empress are confirmed masons. If you are not in a masonry with the Empress then you know that either the Empress is not in the game or is scum.

4. Empress—if scum, you are a GF and will read as town if you are investigated. If town, you are almost vanilla. If the Emperor is also in the game, and is town, you and the Emperor are confirmed masons. If you are not in a masonry with the Emperor then you know either the Emperor is not in the game or is scum.

9. The Hermit—Immune to all non-killing powers. If scum, you can’t be jailkept and your kill can’t be tracked or blocked, and the Chariot’s redirection will fail if you are one of its targets, but your kill can be redirected if your target is targeted by the Chariot. Also your target could be watched, jailkept, or bodyguarded.

The fine print:

1. Don’t be a jerk
2. Do not lurk
3. Don’t edit posts. I am merciful if the edit happens within 3 minutes of the actual post, to correct typos etc., but your fellow players may not be so merciful.
4. All role PMs are pretty much laid out here so there’s no point in quoting them. Don’t quote private moderator communications, but you may paraphrase.
5. Out-of-thread communication only as permitted within your role.
6. Do not fake day actions.

Discord for this game is here.

NOTE: wologar is out, Phantom Muzzles is in, this is not a substitution.

1. CubicalSucrose
  2. EGalz18 (She/Her)
  3. Hal Incandenza (he/him/hal)
  4. Johnny Keats
  5. lih (she/her)
  6. Maugrim (He/him)
  7. Mr. Humalong (w/e)
  8. PhantomMuzzles (She/Her)
  9. Pinterest Mom
  10. sharkmafia
  11. SporkChan (He/Him)
  12. Your Personal Muse
  13. yuming (she/her)

Rhymes With Clue fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Discord link: https://discord.gg/x8z3pBunxv

Rhymes With Clue fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 6, 2024

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
this seems wild. i will play

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Sign me up!

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
This probably ends before Champs. Tower is scary.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yeah lmao the tower

i am ready to kill

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Cool setup RWC

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I’m pictured in the banner so I guess I have to sign up

EGalz18
Aug 5, 2023

I LOVE WORDS. THAT'S ALL.
Tarot-kay

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Put me down as a replacement, I'm interested but life is about to kick my arse even harder soon.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I’m ready to screw the mechanics up

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I really shouldn't, but this looks cool and is a small game!

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Hal Incandenza posted:

Cool setup RWC

Thanks, I stole it. I mean, improved it, yeah.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

In

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hi

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
Oh a small game!? What a novelty, I'm in.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Okay I'm in for a palate cleanser

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Maugrim posted:

Okay I'm in for a palate cleanser
I call scum with Maug :swoon:

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Wow I’m right here yuming

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Okay, that's our lucky 13. I will rand this soon and then there will be a brief N0 while the scum team picks their roles and the discarded one.

My thinking is to have beginning/end of days at 2PM Eastern time (which is noon for me), if that works for everybody. Feel free to let me know if there's a better time because I'm pretty flexible. Because of plurality, the end time will remain the same. Unless, of course, some card comes up that changes it to majority.

lih
May 15, 2013

that's 4am my time so not ideal for me

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Your Personal Muse posted:

Wow I’m right here yuming
And YPM :h:

Im always particular to evening deadlines in the US.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

lih posted:

that's 4am my time so not ideal for me

Ouch, okay, let me think about it. 10-ish anyone? (AM or PM)

Rhymes With Clue fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 10, 2024

lih
May 15, 2013

either of those is fine with me

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
One of those times is not fine with me, but I won’t tell you which

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Both of those are fine with me but for time zones exactly 12 hours apart.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Your Personal Muse posted:

One of those times is not fine with me, but I won’t tell you which

Based on the timing of this post I'm gonna make it 10PM Eastern time. 48-hour days, 24-hour nights, if a day ends really early, as could happen once or twice in this game, the next game day will start at 10PM the next day if at least 12 hours will have elapsed.

Also if anyone has questions, feel free to ask. I might or might not answer them after the game starts, but I will answer them beforehand.

Rhymes With Clue fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 20, 2024

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Both of those times are okay with me, but I won't tell you which

lih
May 15, 2013

how does the death player power work exactly? that's the one i don't really follow what it does

what happens to a card after it has been the daily card? does it get shuffled back into the daily deck, end up on the bottom of the daily deck, or something else?

under the circumstances that card flips don't happen, do alignment flips still happen?

judgment is a simultaneous cop and rolecop? or a choice?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
10pm Eastern is 3am for me but such is the burden of the EU player.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

lih posted:

how does the death player power work exactly? that's the one i don't really follow what it does

what happens to a card after it has been the daily card? does it get shuffled back into the daily deck, end up on the bottom of the daily deck, or something else?

under the circumstances that card flips don't happen, do alignment flips still happen?

What are you doing reading OPs, get out of here

(Good questions)

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

lih posted:

There is one card whose power is to restore a dead player back into the game. That card may or may not be in play.

There is also a card which, if it's the card of the day, allows all players in Limbo to post freely in the thread for that day, although they can't vote, or be voted for.

After a card has been the daily card it's sent to the bottom of the deck. If the deck is reshuffled it could end up anywhere, so its powers could rule more than one day. (There are only 7 cards, but I don't expect a 7-day game anyhow.)

In the circumstance that the card says a flip will not happen, if it's the daily executed player, then there will be no alignment. If it's the night kill, also no alignment, but, well, it's gonna be town, you know?

Judgment is a cop if held by town and rolecop if held by scum.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I think you answered about how abilities interact with dead players (which is still good to know) but he was asking about the Death card ability when held by a player.

But I can answer him as that one is understandable as written. The top card of the daily deck will be discarded without revealing it, and the day will have no daily card in effect

lih
May 15, 2013

the part i'm just a little bit confused on is whether this is correct: if it was used on n1, then the next daily card would be discarded and d2 & n2 would have no card?

lih
May 15, 2013

that's all helpful though, thanks

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

lih posted:

the part i'm just a little bit confused on is whether this is correct: if it was used on n1, then the next daily card would be discarded and d2 & n2 would have no card?

That is correct.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Critically important question, are you using your own physical tarot deck to do the draws, shuffles etc? If so will you be posting video (because that would be kind of awesome but probably an annoying amount of work)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
If Temperance rules the day, will the identity of the scum players leaving Limbo be announced? That's a thing I can see being relevant if a death has previously occurred without a flip.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Maugrim posted:

Critically important question, are you using your own physical tarot deck to do the draws, shuffles etc? If so will you be posting video (because that would be kind of awesome but probably an annoying amount of work)

Oh yes please do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Maugrim posted:

Yes, and I thought about doing video and posting it because it would be cool. It seems a real shame to deny everybody the fun of turning over cards and seeing who gets what. BUT, I would have to slice it into 12 segments, and then post it, and sorry, but no.

I suppose I could have done a video of my hand turning over the cards and posted it after the game but it's too late now. I already didn't video it.