Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
My nephew is going to Japan for a month this summer as a college graduation present and he’s invited me to come along!

Because I have ventured foreignly no farther than the English speaking Caribbean on a cruise ship, I have lots of questions. However, I don’t know what I don’t know so I don’t know what questions to ask.

Where do I start with preparing for this? I need to get an expedited passport, that much I know.

I’ve tried to learn Japanese in the past but it never clicked like French or Spanish. I’m also in grad school currently so time and the amount of new info I can cram in my head is limited. How much Japanese do I need to know and how can I learn it, or can I get by with Google lens translating and polite apologies?

I’m also worried about sticking out like a sore thumb and attracting attention. I’m a tall (5’10”, so not basketball player tall, but enough to stand out) curvy goonette (size 16, not freakishly fat in America but internationally, welp) and I’m blonde. A nonzero amount of times in life I have been stopped by Asian tourists who come up to my shoulder asking to take a picture with me (LA and Las Vegas). This is not a brag, humble or otherwise. I really hate attention. Am I overblowing how bad I’ll stick out in my head? (Nephew is 6’2”, average build, and a handsome guy so I’m sure he will not go unnoticed either, but he’s a guy and doesn’t have anxiety about this nonsense).

What else can you tell me? I’m super excited about seeing historical stuff and collecting seashells there so if anyone has any suggestions for those I’d love to hear them.

I suppose I’m freaking out about this a little because even though nephew is 21 he’s still an 8 year old in my heart and I will always be auntie bear ready to rip poo poo up for him if necessary :shobon:

I’m looking forward to hearing what you have to say. Thanks goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

slinkimalinki posted:

Prolly just ask this in the japan thread in the tourism & travel section.

Personally i don't think anyone will notice you in japan on account of how it's not 1998.

I don’t think I knew that we had a tnt sub. Thanks for the info on both the points you mentioned. Will repost there.