Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
If we can have a chip thread we can have an ice cream thread, gimme all your ice cream opinions, reviews, and hot takes. Pint eaters welcome.

Obv I'm shouting off in the title but I've got something else to say: when an ice cream is emulating the flavor of a pie, putting something in there to represent the crust is pointless and unwanted. The crust is a minor player at BEST in the flavor profile of a pie and is amplified to an absurd degree when translated to a swirl or chunk in the ice cream ecosystem.

Tell me how wrong I am or how basic your tastes are. I'm ready for it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Best ice cream is the Rite Aid storebrand Thrifty. Easily the best bang for your buck.

----------------

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
heb creamy creations honey sopapilla ice cream is the single best store-brand ice cream on the planet and i will go to mat for this. in general you can't go wrong with creamy creations limited flavors. growing up in texas i used to be a Blue Bell Boy but heb is just the better bet all around down south.

we got some van leeuwen pints the other day since we'd never dabbled with the brand. affogato is good but definitely just leans toward a generic coffee ice cream rather than hitting that bitter espresso + sweet cream note you really want from an actual affogato. the earl grey flavor is really good though.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I only buy Haagen Daz when there's a sale. Definitely not worth the regular price. It's good stuff though.

----------------

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

i like soft serve, covered with rainbow sprinkles.

cold stone creamery is also good, but drat is it pricey.

hot take: gelato sucks

----------------

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I had a pint of Irish Cream Brownie Haagen-Dasz the other week that was probably one of the best ice creams I've ever had.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Haagen Daaz is the Grey Poupon of ice cream: absolutely fine and tasty as a product, but not objectively better than a host of other brands with gaudier packaging.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

vanilla supremacy

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

french vanilla

----------------

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Chocolate is extremely mid as a base flavour for ice cream. Bits or chunks of chocolate in a different flavour ice cream is the way forward.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Unless Haagen Dazs brings back their espresso chocolate cookie crumble, they are dead to me :colbert:

I'm still not sure why coffee ice cream by itself and with chocolate chips are relatively common while I can't find coffee cookies & cream ice cream anywhere. Is my taste in ice cream THAT weird?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

get the Thelma's cookie ice cream sandwiches if you can find them. the snickerdoodle and double chocolate ones are the best

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

mint cholcoate chip is the best

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

luv2shit posted:

S-tier all the way, even bad varieties of it are good.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

luv2shit posted:

Objectively false

edit: mint chocolate chip < strawberry < every other ice cream < cookies & cream < espresso chocolate cookie crumble (:rip:)

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 9, 2024

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

YeahTubaMike posted:

edit: mint chocolate chip < strawberry < every other ice cream < cookies & cream < espresso chocolate cookie crumble (:rip:)

lol

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Last. time I went to Hawaii I went to town on some ice cream sandwiches.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I bought Haagen Dazs today to celebrate getting hired. White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle and Pecan Praline. Can't wait.

----------------

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I bought Haagen Dazs today to celebrate getting hired. White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle and Pecan Praline. Can't wait.

Congrats on the new source of ice cream money

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

When my ice cream became dairy dessert and my chocolate became “chocolatey” that was that.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I miss ice cream truck soft serve ice cream.

All the trucks near my area are just repurposed school buses selling ice cream out of an ice box

----------------

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BLUE BELL

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

i like the ads that say the good times are ebing made right now. it makes me feel v good about eating ice cream

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

eating a half gallon of mint chocalte chip: yes. this is the good tijmes. i will remember this forever.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Listeria.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Szyznyk posted:

Listeria.

haha. Blue Bell was once the king but it was never quite the same since they poisoned people.

----------------

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I ordered in some Japanese food and the menu reminded me of how delicious matcha iced cream is

So yeah -- mint chocolate chip < strawberry < every other ice cream < matcha < espresso chocolate cookie crumble (:rip:)

edit: never too late to fix a typo, even a day later after two people have already quoted it :colbert:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 11, 2024

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

Objectively false

YeahTubaMike posted:

I ordered in some Japanese food and the menu reminded me of how delicious matcha iced cream is

So yeah -- mint chocolate chip > strawberry > every other ice cream > matcha > espresso chocolate cookie crumble (:rip:)

how the tables have turned

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

YeahTubaMike posted:

So yeah -- mint chocolate chip > strawberry > every other ice cream > matcha > espresso chocolate cookie crumble (:rip:)

glad u have seen the error of ur ways

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Twenty Four posted:

how the tables have turned

luv2shit posted:

glad u have seen the error of ur ways

God drat it :bang:

edit: Also, strawberry, guys? Really?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
stewart's crumbs along the mohawk

this is the one, ladies and gentlemen

the texture is exquisite

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

thinking about ice cream.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

If you walk into an ice cream shop and the smell of the place is either completely neutral or faintly reminiscent of cleaning chemicals, you've hit the jackpot. If their poo poo is good, they don't need to pump that cloying "ice cream parlor" scent into the store.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Seen some corn and cheese flavored ice cream last time I was at the asian market. Passed it up at the time, but I might have to go back

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
Blue Bell - specifically the pistachio almond. Best icecreams in the world.

Talenti is also good and the jars are super useful

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Got a pint of caramel cone just waiting for a good reason, probably gonna roll it to next weekend at this point. As far as gelato goes, it's hit or miss for me. I've had some good stuff, but the dark chocolate Talenti I got recently was really underwhelming; just didn't have any depth to it.

----------------

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
My favorite grocery store in the neighborhood has a 50% discount (normally $7.99) on their remaining stock of "Nancy's Fancy" gelato. A fancy gelato from famous chef Nancy Silverton. I picked up the butterscotch flavor that featured a "rosemary caramel ribbon". Solid stuff! I'll be back to grab a jar of their meyer lemon flavor.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I picked up a Talenti the other day. Caramel cookie crunch. It's good ice cream, but it's bland. There's not enough caramel in it. The ice cream doesn't taste like vanilla. It's just unflavored white ice cream. It's sweet. The cookie bits are good. I hope the pistachio flavor is better.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

ohnobugs posted:

I picked up a Talenti the other day. Caramel cookie crunch. It's good ice cream, but it's bland.

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tabasco_hijikata
Apr 12, 2024

Can you weaklings handle tabasco?

Made from tabasco peppers, vinegar and salt.

Tabasco products are sold in more than 195 countries and territories, and packaged in 36 languages and dialects.
only one page for ice cream thread is crazyy