Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
There are videos of endless numbers of toddlers who are able to recount specific details of deceased strangers lives including names of children, profession, manner of death and claim that they are that person who died and then was born again as their present self.

i get that kids have infinite egos and if they overheard a story, the protagonist just becomes them. But most of these times it's just some random man or woman with no relation to the family, who no one would recount information about.

And it always comes out frankly, not in the typical exaggerated "and then the dinosaur came and he put the firefighter in his basketball and the basketball rolled onto the trampoline and bluey came and made a new trampoline" fashion.

what's going on?

Is there a sort of waiting area afterlife where souls wait to hop into a new body?

is it just weird coincidence generation from billions of dead human beings and the untrimmed neuronal pathways of chirrrdren?

What's up??? What's the deal??

What if souls are not just real but contain various properties and characteristics?

Whats going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
I dunno man but I intend to find out

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Padical posted:

I dunno man but I intend to find out

https://shop.harvard.com/book/9781250063489
this book has a bunch of stories
https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-studies/our-research/children-who-report-memories-of-previous-lives/ here's a summary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson

This is another guy who worked on the topic.

It's just real. Kids can recall details of strangers lives.

It makes you wonder if there's some soul nexus that's just like accidentally imprinted on them in the womb or somesuch poo poo

https://shop.harvard.com/book/9781910121924
"I saw a light and came here"

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 7, 2024

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My 3 year old played World of Warcraft. He got kills on enemy battleships in Eve Online by pressing F1.

Who was OP reincarnated from?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

My 3 year old keeps talking about forums bbcode and playing old video games in rural Missouri. Anyone got any ideas why?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

My 3 year old keeps talking about forums bbcode and playing old video games in rural Missouri. Anyone got any ideas why?

Hainted by a dark-sided spirit, op

Comstar posted:

My 3 year old played World of Warcraft. He got kills on enemy battleships in Eve Online by pressing F1.

That's how I got kills in eve op

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 7, 2024

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Comstar posted:

Who was OP reincarnated from?

the first time of the two times I took mushrooms, I saw
my older brother who died of sids explode out of my stomach and shoot into the galaxy?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

3 year olds are dumb af OP, that probably explins it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I so very much want to believe in reincarnation, but it's very tough for me to buy into the metaphysical stuff.

At the same time, there's a gently caress load of real science that's still like magic to me, so :shrug:

I still have some sort of memory of my grandfather being wheeled out of my grandparents' house when he died. I remember one of the paramedics who was there. He died in 78, I was born in 83.

I still mostly chalk it up to my grandmother telling me stories about that day and my kid brain making up thoughts and images based on what I was hearing, or maybe a dream I had after she told me about it. But in the back of my mind, that small bit of doubt is there.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

actually it makes a lot of sense if you think about it for more than 3 seconds

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
Who gives a poo poo?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Death is not the end OP. No one knows how souls work. HTH

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

kntfkr posted:

Death is not the end OP. No one knows how souls work. HTH

Nuhuh, I do but I won't tell you.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
we indeed have not punctured the veil OP. But you are unlikely to get far with this crowd. I have tried to bring them round to spirituality many a time.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The afterlife is full, so those spirits got bounced back to fresh bodies. Sorry, but anyone that can read this missed the boat and is stuck bouncing around this hellrock for eternity!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Grey Cat posted:

I know too, and I'll tell you if you give me twenty dollars.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Turns out the Soulnado from Mortal Kombat 9 is real, OP

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It isn't reincarnation, OP. It's possession.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Kids are like dogs and can still interact with ghosts so that tracks

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Honestly idk it makes no sense that consciousness exists to be destroyed so it stands to reason it probably has to go somewhere

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Honestly idk it makes no sense that consciousness exists to be destroyed so it stands to reason it probably has to go somewhere

Until you start reading about split brain patients and then everything you understand as being yourself becomes a joke.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

children experience time differently and time and space are well, you know, so they’re not remembering but are rather experiencing the things they describe

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

some babies are impossible to soothe because they were reincarnated and have no way to get back to their real home ever again, so their screaming and sobbing is the terror of realizing that. realizing that all they had in the life before, all that they loved, will never be with them in the same way again.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
to check your newborn for witchcraft you have to put them in one of those baby bouncers. if they remain motionless they are not a witch. if they bounce it means satan is propping them back up with his tail, and should be disposed of

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Grey Cat posted:

Until you start reading about split brain patients and then everything you understand as being yourself becomes a joke.

I have enough existential crises at night thank you :mad:

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Grey Cat posted:

What if I ask really, really nicely?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

les enfants Terrific! posted:

What if I ask really, really nicely?

Hmmm, okay but you have to promise not to tell anyone!

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Grey Cat posted:

Hmmm, okay but you have to promise not to tell anyone!

Yippee!

Keep your knowledge, I have learned all I need from this (the world is still kind sometimes)

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
most red state toddlers are too busy working in the factories to even care about their former lives, much less recount them. perhaps that is the great crime here op.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
idk most of them seem like another R-word. real dumbasses those 3 year olds!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Just yesterday my 3 year old was telling me he has these vivid memories of running a lovely website and beating his wife

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

pencilhands posted:

Just yesterday my 3 year old was telling me he has these vivid memories of running a lovely website and beating his wife

that's crazy PH

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
We have too many souls and not enough bodies damnit

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There are a million trillion trillion living bodies on this planet

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Seth Pecksniff posted:

life is senseless

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chinese Reincarnation Cops

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Grey Cat posted:

I read up on this and the evidence suggests that there are not in fact two consciousness in split brain patients. Although its loving crazy to read about.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

Seth Pecksniff posted:

It doesnt exist. It's a ruse made by the fat jelly in your head to get more feel-good chemicals.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Hollismason posted:

I read up on this and the evidence suggests that there are not in fact two consciousness in split brain patients. Although its loving crazy to read about.

Right I don't mean it makes you into two people, but more the fact it breaks down what we understand as being ourselves. It's pretty much all just a hosed up illusion to make our brain activity make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

Obligatory