Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I was a tree in my previous life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Hammerite posted:

how do the microorganisms do that? isn't this a homunculus argument

Idk ask the jedi council

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

syntaxfunction posted:

Please list all of the ones that do :kimchi:

Cats, dolphins, primates, dogs, whales, some sharks and goats (it's on an individual basis and not by species)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Idk ask the jedi council

I'll take this one.

You see, the Force is created by the midichlorians, which are present in all living cells.....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Cats, dolphins, primates, dogs, whales, some sharks and goats (it's on an individual basis and not by species)

Name one shark with a soul. I'll wait.

tetSUOOO
Mar 1, 2024

redshirt posted:

Squaliformes to start with, and after were done with those, I'll introduce you to my knifefish

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

redshirt posted:

Morris Kane, nurse shark, 12 years old, swims around the Brazilian coast mostly. Good guy, a little temperamental with people so he mostly avoids the tourist hangouts. He gets pretty chatty when he gets a little caffeine in him, it's actually kinda funny

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Morris Kane, nurse shark, 12 years old, swims around the Brazilian coast mostly. Good guy, a little temperamental with people so he mostly avoids the tourist hangouts. He gets pretty chatty when he gets a little caffeine in him, it's actually kinda funny

Hmmm....

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's a common misconception, dogs and cats categorically do not have souls. Tarantulas, surprisingly yes.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's a common misconception, dogs and cats categorically do not have souls. Tarantulas, surprisingly yes.

Cats and dogs have souls, sorry. You are partially correct that tarantulas have souls: most of them have souls.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hammerite posted:

souls are an energy field permeating the universe, like the force or some poo poo. in 200 years some physicist is gonna receive the nobel prize for finding the soul boson or w/e

I can't wait to monetize it

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

kids also have super good memories until they are about 3 when your memory starts to change over to normal human style. like every kid has an eidetic memory (in the way that it actually exists) up until basically theyre able to talk, so suddenly a 3 year old starts talking and theyre full of info about your dead nan that you forgot you said around them

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Smugworth posted:

I was a tree in my previous life

Feel the wind burn through my skin
The pain, the air is killing me
For years my limbs stretched to the sky
A nest for birds to sit and sing

But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I can't wait to monetize it

What about we capture celebrity souls and sell them in pieces

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Feel the wind burn through my skin
The pain, the air is killing me
For years my limbs stretched to the sky
A nest for birds to sit and sing

But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago
An anecdote about that song: it was so depressing that none of the beach boys wanted to sing it for the album, and brian was probably indisposed with an episode or drug binge. so they had their manager do it

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Bible posted:

I was trying to explain this to my 8 year-old the other day. Probability and Possibility are easily conflated. He was confused about how events with tiny chances of happening, such as a mother having triplets, seemingly happen fairly often.

That's a good example. I'm fond of car license plates as well. Every drive it is astronomically unlikely to have seen those particular license plates on other cars in the combination you did.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

What about we capture celebrity souls and sell them in pieces

Ghostbusting, but for celebrities.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

That's a good example. I'm fond of car license plates as well. Every drive it is astronomically unlikely to have seen those particular license plates on other cars in the combination you did.

or like shuffling a deck of cards. theres so many possible permutations that pretty much any shuffle has a good chance of being unique in human history, because the number of permutations is 52 factorial (aka 52x51x50x49...) which ends up some insanely big number

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Cats and dogs have souls, sorry. You are partially correct that tarantulas have souls: most of them have souls.

Nah I'm sorry, I made inquiries.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
If you’re worried “Does this thing have a soul”, the answer is it has a soul. Especially furbies.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nah I'm sorry, I made inquiries.

Those were liars trying to spread their falsehoods, and they have deceived you into doing their evil work. Kitty cats and doggies have souls.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Any soul will spend far far far far far more time disembodied, residing in the great Soul Field, than actually inhabiting a physical meat costume.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

redshirt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYonjn1oYcQ

Shark = water dog go pat some today

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

OK that's good evidence. ACCEPTED.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Cats don't have souls, they steal them.

I believe their holding capacity is 9.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

kids also have super good memories until they are about 3 when your memory starts to change over to normal human style. like every kid has an eidetic memory (in the way that it actually exists) up until basically theyre able to talk, so suddenly a 3 year old starts talking and theyre full of info about your dead nan that you forgot you said around them

Kids under 3 cant even process the words into concepts, they're not retaining every word ever heard and then repeating it later after they've learned to speak. I'm sure you could find a thousand stories about kids that age talking about things they have had absolutely no exposure to.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Pontificating rear end posted:

Kids under 3 cant even process the words into concepts, they're not retaining every word ever heard and then repeating it later after they've learned to speak. I'm sure you could find a thousand stories about kids that age talking about things they have had absolutely no exposure to.

Are you actually suggesting that this is a testable phenomenon?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

yea thats why memory works differently before 3 like i said. it would not be useful to have a concept based memory when you cannot process concepts.

i have a really good memory and can fake being psychic pretty easily by repeating stuff to people they told me before but forgot they told me. you have no idea how much poo poo people forget constantly. there is a 0% chance a parent can tell you every single piece of info their kid has been exposed to, because little kids can fuckin repeat poo poo they heard a snippet of on the radio perfectly. 3 is the exact right age to be able to talk but still have residual babymemory powers

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I've seen a lot of stories about Slenderman but that don't make him real lmao

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
No it's the events those stories are based on that make him real.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I bet you could find TEN thousand stories about Slender man being real

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I've seen a lot of stories about Slenderman but that don't make him real lmao

You ever think about an alien Slenderman, in a galaxy like 10 million light years away?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

it would be really stupid if we reincarnated and kept our memories for a little bit but then forgot them. like they survive death and rebirth, somehow work in a completely different, unfinished brain architecture, and THEN you forget them so your brain can make room for uhhh the names of all the pokemon

i mean like evolutionary pressure would select for people who had adult memories longer as a baby, as it would let you shortcut a lot of tiresome learning

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Slenderman is real now. It's a tulpa I think is the word? Brought into existence through belief!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My two year old has full grasps of most concepts.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Want to release that Ring monster lady on Galaxy PX9-474

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
What if we end up with so many living things one day that there aren't any souls left in the soul bank? Will it be impossible for women to get pregnant at that point, or will the children just come out soulless?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

SlenderMALE

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Perhaps, but it is far more likely than that they are processing entire past lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

What if we end up with so many living things one day that there aren't any souls left in the soul bank? Will it be impossible for women to get pregnant at that point, or will the children just come out soulless?

In Gamma Gen I'a they are working on a giant soul machine, capable of spitting out a new soul every 20 Earth minutes.