Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

What if we end up with so many living things one day that there aren't any souls left in the soul bank? Will it be impossible for women to get pregnant at that point, or will the children just come out soulless?

That's why you bring them to church.

The magic man says the magic words and dunks you in the magic water and tadaa, you have a soul.

Edit: avoid cameras though or you'll have to do it all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Devils Affricate posted:

What if we end up with so many living things one day that there aren't any souls left in the soul bank? Will it be impossible for women to get pregnant at that point, or will the children just come out soulless?

We'll have to import low quality foreign souls.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Are there characteristics of a soul that changes based on the person? Like donevil people have black, dried-up souls?

Everyone should watch The Prophecy of you want to see the soul of a Colonel war criminal in the body of a little girl.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

it would be really stupid if we reincarnated and kept our memories for a little bit but then forgot them. like they survive death and rebirth, somehow work in a completely different, unfinished brain architecture, and THEN you forget them so your brain can make room for uhhh the names of all the pokemon

i mean like evolutionary pressure would select for people who had adult memories longer as a baby, as it would let you shortcut a lot of tiresome learning

It would be easy to imagine a soul having some sort of "memory." Maybe it's more of an emotional memory, so if you found yourself in a different brain you could still conjure "memories" based on feelings (for lack of a better term) that are interpreted by the new brain a certain way.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

How many reincarnated 3 year olds could you take in a fight

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Who are they reincarnated from? If it's like Mike Tyson or something you're hosed against even just a few of them.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
getting my rear end kicked by half a dozen 3-year-old reincarnated jiu-jitsu masters while their parents coo and remark approvingly on how clever their babies are

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Pontificating rear end posted:

It would be easy to imagine a soul having some sort of "memory." Maybe it's more of an emotional memory, so if you found yourself in a different brain you could still conjure "memories" based on feelings (for lack of a better term) that are interpreted by the new brain a certain way.

it would make more sense to me if there was just one soul beaming out of infinity and each human body decodes the signal a different way, and you accidentally tune into other people's facets of the big soul while the receiver in your brain is still learning to filter out the rest.

reincarnation just doesnt have anything analogous to it anywhere in nature, as it seems to involve both time travel and arbitrary information redistribution without causal linkage

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

it would make more sense to me if there was just one soul beaming out of infinity and each human body decodes the signal a different way, and you accidentally tune into other people's facets of the big soul while the receiver in your brain is still learning to filter out the rest.

reincarnation just doesnt have anything analogous to it anywhere in nature, as it seems to involve both time travel and arbitrary information redistribution without causal linkage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwbxcxfrBb8

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

It's easy to imagine a car that's powered by grapefruit juice if you don't know anything about cars.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
There's some non-linear metadimensional being out there coming across this poo poo and going "drat, how the gently caress did you get this poo poo so wrong? Everyone knows souls are mined in the quasi-dimensional soul mines"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Here's a cool short story on this subject by Andy Weir, author of The Martian

https://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

redshirt posted:

Here's a cool short story on this subject by Andy Weir, author of The Martian

https://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html

Sanka.... you dead mod?

Yah, mod.

Kiss the egg, mod.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Itt computer touchers arguing that souls are just memory addresses in gods epic gamer tower

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

reincarnation could be real but there isn’t really any evidence to suggest so. that’s my take

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

actually scratch that, new data coming in from johnny cash

“willie waylon johnny and kris” posted:

I was a highwayman, along the coach roads I did ride
With sword and pistol by my side
Many a young maid lost her baubles to my trade
Many a soldier shed his life blood on my blade
The bastards hung me in the spring of ‘25
But I am still alive

I was a sailor, I was born upon the tide
And with the sea I did abide
I sailed a schooner ‘round the horn to Mexico
I went aloft to furl the mainsail in a blow
And when the yards broke off, they said that I got killed
But I am living still

I was a dam builder across the river deep and wide
Where steel and water did collide
A place called Boulder on the wild Colorado
I slipped and fell into the wet concrete below
They buried me in that gray tomb that knows no sound
But I am still around
I’ll always be around and around and around
And around and around and around

I’ll fly a star ship across the universe divide
And when I reach the other side
I’ll find a place to rest my spirit if I can
Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
Or I may simply be a single drop of rain
But I will remain
And I’ll be back again and again and again
And again and again and again

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Are you responsible for crimes you did 1 or more reincarnation cycles ago? Cause I'm getting bad vibes from this cash guy

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

We're basically in agreement except for some semantics. Suppose soul matter is bound by the speed of light, so you could explain away information being in an etheric dimension we havent detected yet.
Ultimately I dont believe the details are that important because we all know that we don't know, in the first place.

What I DO know is I will reincarnate as a cool alien at some point, with a cool spaceship. Basically a Mass Effect side character with an otherworldly charm and confusing sex appeal.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
if you die by falling into a black hole does that mean you escape the reincarnation loop? #wow #whoa

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Buddha should have been building a spaceship

The Bible
May 8, 2010

We're basically in agreement except for some semantics. Suppose soul matter

Why assume souls are composed of matter?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Souls are made of jizm

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If souls are made of matter and they inhabit a body wouldn't that show up on scans and stuff? Or is it quantum matter where when you observe it then it isn't matter. Because quantum.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Soul is stored in the balls

The Bible
May 8, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

If souls are made of matter and they inhabit a body wouldn't that show up on scans and stuff? Or is it quantum matter where when you observe it then it isn't matter. Because quantum.

Like all magical things, it can't be detected by anything at all but I still know it exists and exactly how it works because reasons.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

syntaxfunction posted:

Same way we can't physically detect that u a buster and a mark but we all know it anyway

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What's a buster is that some old timey slang or something

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

syntaxfunction posted:

What's a buster is that some old timey slang or something

smDh

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I like how modern spiritually-minded people will scoff at the question of how much a soul weighs or what it's made of, as if that's some kind of intentionally inane mischaracterization of the subject at hand.

But that's kinda what people used to believe, or at least thought could be true https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21_grams_experiment

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

It was also a movie about someone hoovering up 21 grams and that offset the soul loss so they were just fine in the end.

People came to terms with things.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Collective delusions.

It's the same thing with alien reportings. When B movies showed them coming to earth in hubcap shaped ships, everyone saying they were abducted mentioned hubcap shaped ships.
When the collective trope was 'little green men', abductees would say the aliens were little green men.
Then when the 'greys' hit the media in the 70s, all were saying they were abducted by grey aliens.

Same with past life hypnosis.
Everyone was either a famous person, or directly involved with a famous historical person. And also from recorded history.
You never got any saying they were a poor as poo poo dirt farmer who lived and died in the same 10 miles of barren as poo poo land in the middle of nowhere.
And no one has ever said they were from 20000BC or can tell us any historical information lost and not known until now, like their written or oral language.
Funny no one went 'Ah great, can you translate these hieroglyphics we lost how to read them' to fuckwits saying they were once Cleopatra's slaves.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Collective delusions.

It's the same thing with alien reportings. When B movies showed them coming to earth in hubcap shaped ships, everyone saying they were abducted mentioned hubcap shaped ships.
When the collective trope was 'little green men', abductees would say the aliens were little green men.
Then when the 'greys' hit the media in the 70s, all were saying they were abducted by grey aliens.

Everyone was either a famous person, or directly involved with a famous historical person. And also from recorded history.
You never got any saying they were a poor as poo poo dirt farmer who lived and died in the same 10 miles of barren as poo poo land in the middle of nowhere.
And no one has ever said they were from 20000BC or can tell us any historical information lost and not known until now, like their written or oral language.
Funny no one went 'Ah great, can you translate these hieroglyphics we lost how to read them' to fuckwits saying they were once Cleopatra's slaves.

Let's not forget claims of Satanic possession and Satanic ritual abuse, both of which curiously spiked after the release of The Exorcist

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

happyhippy posted:

Collective delusions.

I actually did a past-life meditation class, and I was a barefoot and illiterate peasant who lived in a windowless hut. But I'm also the kind of person who would as a raggedy serf at a Ren fair, so :shrug:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's how you build an interesting character though, you could have been a barefoot and illiterate peasant under Vlad the Impaler, or in Carthage.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Ever notice no one is ever the reincarnation of like just the worst people? Like no one is ever "oh yeah I'm a serial sex pest who died during auto erotic asphyxiation in my gooning cave while kicking puppies".

Those are bad souls, so they don't get reincarnated is the cop out answer is guess, which is both lame *and* dumb as an answer.

mystes
May 31, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

Ever notice no one is ever the reincarnation of like just the worst people? Like no one is ever "oh yeah I'm a serial sex pest who died during auto erotic asphyxiation in my gooning cave while kicking puppies".

Those are bad souls, so they don't get reincarnated is the cop out answer is guess, which is both lame *and* dumb as an answer.
If you had memories from your past life as a "serial sex pest who died during auto erotic asphyxiation in [your] gooning cave while kicking puppies" would you go around telling people about it?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

No such thing as bad publicity

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I used to be a wretched SINNER in a past life - but in this one I found the light of the LORD, and so can you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

considering the mutability of 'self' as it pertains to the brain's structures and chemical soup de-jour, I cant help but feeling like if souls or anything like it is real its almost certainly not 'you'...