Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Pontificating rear end posted:

I didnt make anything up, you expect me to provide evidence of the soul with cited sources on the somethingawful forums, seriously bros? My entire argument literally fell back to "this is all unprovable so believe whatever you want." You guys know nothing more than I do, and the "evidence" everyone ignores is a pervasive infinite somethingness. Even the emptiest vacuums of space are filled with something.

I'm not telling myself this to feel better; this life is trash and dying forever and all infinity would honestly be an eye-rollingly expected conclusion after spending an entire life slapping around in the mud with a bunch of tiny-brained know-it-all cosmic horrors on garbage planet.

"Prove the soul DOESN'T exist", got it.

Also, I'm having fun here, and I actually am really enjoying your posts. Just wanted to say that before any hard feelings might develop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I feel like the burden of proof would be on the claim that souls and this whole mechanism and system of reincarnation exists. It could! There's just no evidence it does, and odds are low any arbitrary idea like this would just happen to be true.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't understand how people don't get how "burden of proof" works after all this time goddamn.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

YOUR BROTHER'S SOUL IS MINE!!

The Bible
May 8, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't understand how people don't get how "burden of proof" works after all this time goddamn.

It's simple. You just assume literally everything that can possibly be conceived is true until there is proof it isn't.

For example, a massive, invisible, intangible slice of pizza is draped over the Moon. You can't prove such a thing doesn't exist, so we must assume that it does until someone proves otherwise.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.

syntaxfunction posted:

after all this time

Have a little patience, some of us are still on our first soul

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

syntaxfunction posted:

Ah yes, the "built different" hypothesis, very solid, very good.

PS no one else is saying believe what you want while condemning it they're just saying you're dumb lol

Coming from the "what if you reincarnated as a butt lol" guy

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Bible posted:

"Prove the soul DOESN'T exist", got it.

You're just putting words in my mouth, I only said it was unprovable, which it is, objectively. You have exactly as much evidence one way as I do the other

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Coming from the "what if you reincarnated as a butt lol" guy

Oh my god this is adorable :allears:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

No energy is gained or lost, ergo.....

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

You're just putting words in my mouth, I only said it was unprovable, which it is, objectively. You have exactly as much evidence one way as I do the other

How do you know that a soul isn't detectable? You'd think someone that believes so strongly in the concept of a soul would be all "Of course they're real. They're inside everybody. Go get all that fancy science equipment and have a gander you're gonna see that I'm right." But no, right off the bat "UNPROVABLE! Objectively can never be proven!"

Did you know we've detected loving neutrinos but I guess our technology is still not sensitive enough to find all that soul stuff that's apparently everywhere.

God dammit I fell for it. :mad:

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 24, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010

That doesn't make our positions equal, though. You are not as likely to be correct as I am. The burden of proof is on you.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

The Bible posted:

That doesn't make our positions equal, though. You are not as likely to be correct as I am. The burden of proof is on you.

We can't really put odds on it but the burden of proof is certainly on the nonparsimonious claim

I'm sure soul believers don't also think Russell's Teapot, Thor, Hogwarts, and invisible green elephants on the moon are just who knows I have as much info as you coinflips

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I met a guy who remembers his entire last life as a world-famous physician. He smells like piss and lives in a camper.

Nobody can prove it didn't happen so it must be true.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

vaginite posted:

I met a guy who remembers his entire last life as a world-famous physician. He smells like piss and lives in a camper.

Nobody can prove it didn't happen so it must be true.

He should just go to med school and cruise right through.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

There is, quite literally, an infinite amount of unfalsifiable bullshit that one could cook up about anything. What if I told you there's a tiny asteroid shaped like a teacup on the far side of Andromeda, and inside that teacup there's an ant, and if you ask nicely, the ant will teach you how to speak Portuguese? I have just as much evidence of this being true as you do if it being false (that is, zero all around). Accepting arbitrary bullshit is not an equally valid stance as dismissing it, and constructing an argument so that it's unfalsifiable doesn't make it sound, it just makes it pointless.

And you didn't just say that reincarnation was unprovable; you made it clear that you really do think it's true, while throwing an argument from incredulity at the idea of nothing happening after you die.

Believing in a spiritual soul is a fantasy? You really think a person dies forever and there is nothingness for all infinity (even though there is actually provably somethingness for all infinity)? Call me the quantum soul guy, but I'm guessing what you believe is a nihilistic oversimplification mostly influenced by conventional physics?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Save some fedoras for the rest of us here, please!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You know the wild thing is someone choosing to believe in heaven, or an afterlife, or reincarnation is really quite milquetoast and inoffensive. It only gets weird and a lil culty when people insist that they've figured it out and everyone else is dumb/naive/ignorant/a malcontent/etc.

"Everything is vague and unknowable except the things I personally believe" is a brave and courageous statement and people are heroes for saying it ngl

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

syntaxfunction posted:

You know the wild thing is someone choosing to believe in heaven, or an afterlife, or reincarnation is really quite milquetoast and inoffensive. It only gets weird and a lil culty when people insist that they've figured it out and everyone else is dumb/naive/ignorant/a malcontent/etc.

"Everything is vague and unknowable except the things I personally believe" is a brave and courageous statement and people are heroes for saying it ngl

What

The Bible
May 8, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Of course, this pretty much always ends up happening.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Winning the lottery is 50/50

You either win or you don't

Souls work the same way

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
All the arguments for why souls exist generally come down to 'Im scared of the concept that I could stop existing'

And that's the tragedy of being human - that the soul and the body aren't separate things but interconnected. You grow a soul in your body as your body lives, and if you live old enough, that's when you start actually making a really beautiful, well-rounded soul. But the body is fragile and the tragedy of human existence is that right as your soul is finally starting to become a piece of art is when you get snuffed out of existence, and the soul which took a lifetime to cultivate is wiped away like shaking an etch-a-sketch.

You are an ephemeral thing for you to have right here and now. Your life project is building your soul, and the project ends when your life does. But that's ok. We are like flowers blooming in our own seasons. And eventually our season ends.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 25, 2024

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
That's super not how it works. The soul is older than your body and will outlast you.

Some people do not have souls, true. The rich and everyone in front of me in traffic. They just comprise a forest of meat, I'll give you that. True.

We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a sexual journey.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

https://shop.harvard.com/book/9781250063489
this book has a bunch of stories
https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-studies/our-research/children-who-report-memories-of-previous-lives/ here's a summary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson

This is another guy who worked on the topic.

It's just real. Kids can recall details of strangers lives.

It makes you wonder if there's some soul nexus that's just like accidentally imprinted on them in the womb or some such poo poo

https://shop.harvard.com/book/9781910121924
"I saw a light and came here"

Thanks so much for sharing these. (And thanks to the disser in a later post for quoting it, which is where I noticed it. And thanks to OP for making the thread, which took courage in a forum with so many angrily defensive skeptics in it.)

I just started reading the book from your first link today.

Reincarnation is something I've never given any credence to. It disagrees with my spiritual beliefs, which were formed in sober adulthood, I like to think after significant open-minded research, after I was fortuitously forced to my knees from the effects of living as a (proselytising!) atheist for 15 years.

Literally hundreds of millions of people, probably billions in total, in India and a number of Asian countries (mainly) believe in reincarnation. And probably thousands of those with such beliefs are world-renowned scholars (of course not held in any respect by extreme atheists).

I'm only a few pages into the book, but am already finding it interesting and challenging. I'll refrain from further comment ITT until I've finished reading it. (There are few bigger bars to knowledge than contempt prior to investigation.)

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 25, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

BigBadSteve posted:

Literally hundreds of millions of people, probably billions in total, in India and a number of Asian countries (mainly) believe in reincarnation.

A belief being widespread only makes anecdotal evidence (you know, the only thing Stevenson ever used) less reliable.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

That's super not how it works. The soul is older than your body and will outlast you.

Some people do not have souls, true. The rich and everyone in front of me in traffic. They just comprise a forest of meat, I'll give you that. True.

We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a sexual journey.

Do you have a newsletter?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Bible posted:

Y'all talk about "burden of proof" like Im prosecuting someone in court, it doesn't even apply. There is 0 evidence you dissipate into nothingness when you die, however reincarnation simply implies you live again-- it's NOT the same as "you turn into a butt" which is provably insane. Studies like this are more evidence than you guys have (none):

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26299061/
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ly-just-cynics/

Meaning I'm not making this up out of nothing, it's a culturally significant and fairly simple concept that millions or billions of people have believed (however not a single conscious individual has ever believed you will turn into a butt).
Now that I have more evidence than your side, the burden of proof is on you because we get to use that term however we want.

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 25, 2024

naem
May 29, 2011

are we all dead yet

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

are we all dead yet

I have some news for you: We've all been dead 1000 years.

This is Hell.

naem
May 29, 2011

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Nothing to worry about because we'll all be dead soon forever and all time. I am enlightened,

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nothing to worry about because we'll all be dead soon forever and all time. I am enlightened,

Indeed.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Millions of people think that grape juice is magically turned into the blood of God and they drink it on purpose.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Wendigee posted:

Millions of people think that grape juice is magically turned into the blood of God and they drink it on purpose.

I got drunk off the grape juice. He gets us.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Y'all talk about "burden of proof" like Im prosecuting someone in court, it doesn't even apply. There is 0 evidence you dissipate into nothingness when you die, however reincarnation simply implies you live again-- it's NOT the same as "you turn into a butt" which is provably insane. Studies like this are more evidence than you guys have (none):

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26299061/
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ly-just-cynics/

Meaning I'm not making this up out of nothing, it's a culturally significant and fairly simple concept that millions or billions of people have believed (however not a single conscious individual has ever believed you will turn into a butt).
Now that I have more evidence than your side, the burden of proof is on you because we get to use that term however we want.

Yeeeesh

Edit: I am way more embarrassed for you, a poster, than I should be.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Why do pack-a-day single moms have to think their child is reincarnated?
Is this a cultural tradition from their Cherokee ancestors side or perhaps the rebirth of a king from their distant European nobility?

If the horoscopes have no wisdom to share then the only way to know for sure is a visit to a strip mall psychic.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

redshirt posted:

Do you have a newsletter?

I have a sub stack but the subs are pretty tired and i’ worried it will collapse soon.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

There is 0 evidence you dissipate into nothingness when you die...

I don't think I'd be so sure about this. Sense of self and the concept of what we are is pretty fragile think. Just think of how brain damage can inexorably alter the sense of self and the personality of a person in radical ways.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

If only the university would fund my research into my "come back as a butt" theory we could start getting to the bottom of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
There is zero evidence that you do not turn into a butt when you die and at least 3 anime support the concept.