Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

have you heard how the well known lp maker was also a stone cold mercenary and died of cancer, not once but twice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

My four year old didn't say any of that wacky stuff when he was three. Sorry to hear about everyone else's retread-rear end kids

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

That’s right

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

All is illusion, all is temporary

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Donald was right

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dejan Bimble posted:

https://shop.harvard.com/book/9781250063489
this book has a bunch of stories
https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-studies/our-research/children-who-report-memories-of-previous-lives/ here's a summary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson

This is another guy who worked on the topic.

It's just real. Kids can recall details of strangers lives.

It makes you wonder if there's some soul nexus that's just like accidentally imprinted on them in the womb or somesuch poo poo

https://shop.harvard.com/book/9781910121924
"I saw a light and came here"

why are you specifically linking the harvard bookstore, which is just a regular-rear end book store, when these books have zero association with harvard?

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
Things that aren't real:
Reincarnation
God
Leprechauns
Tooth fairy
Free will
Ghosts
Faster than light travel

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Klyith posted:

why are you specifically linking the harvard bookstore, which is just a regular-rear end book store, when these books have zero association with harvard?

because op is dumb as poo poo or playing the part for reasons unknown.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Death is but a doorway, time is but a window. I'll be back.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Reincarnation... kicks rear end!

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Just :lol: that all those goody-goody nerds who reached Nirvana will never be able to reincarnate into a fantasy world and have a harem with girls representing half the fictional animal kingdom

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
they weren't that great a band

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I misread the thread title as “It doesn’t make sense how many 3 year olds are seemingly incarcerated” and I was very upset for a few seconds.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I misread the thread title as “It doesn’t make sense how many 3 year olds are seemingly incarcerated” and I was very upset for a few seconds.
They're in time out

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nigmaetcetera posted:

They were arrested by a bunch of 3 year old cops and sentenced by a bunch of 3 year old judges

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
All those three year olds are actually just wacky detectives looking for some dirt on some fella and/or gal. They hoodwinked you, hoodwinked you good.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

All those three year olds are actually just wacky detectives looking for some dirt on some fella and/or gal. They hoodwinked you, hoodwinked you good.

I hate being hoodwinked so effin much

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
universe is either literally or effectively a simulation and that could mean anything you want it to

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

hey didnt there used to be an eclipse topic in gbs?

this has nothing to do with this topic

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What about it doesn't make sense? That not all of them are?

E: Anyway the answer is their parents are woo-woo new aged imbeciles for whom my contempt knows no limits and they coached them, either on purpose for attention or just accidentally while trying to figure out who their special indigo child was reincarnated from.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 7, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Nigmaetcetera posted:

reincinerated for me. like drat wasnt once enough?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Honestly idk it makes no sense that consciousness exists to be destroyed so it stands to reason it probably has to go somewhere

Ever been anesthetized? No sleep, no dreams. That's death.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Grey Cat posted:

Right I don't mean it makes you into two people, but more the fact it breaks down what we understand as being ourselves. It's pretty much all just a hosed up illusion to make our brain activity make sense.

It’s a pretty surreal and terrifying subject. It also got me thinking that consciousness, to whatever degree it exists, is basically trying to survive and perpetuate/procreate.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Milo and POTUS posted:

hey didnt there used to be an eclipse topic in gbs?

this has nothing to do with this topic

Gassed for not being posted in the space forum I presume

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Time_pants posted:

Ever been anesthetized? No sleep, no dreams. That's death.

Yeah they told me I wouldn’t dream when they put me under for my ablation and I did anyway. I remember I had to hand an ice-cold pitcher of water to Foxy Brown, who was in the driver’s seat of a kick-rear end muscle car, and as I move it towards the car’s open window I realize that when she grabs the pitcher, lasting, no-strings-attached world peace will break out and everything will be OK forever, and then I woke up and someone was touching my penis. I guess they were removing my catheter or something. If that isn’t compelling evidence for the existence of an immortal soul, I don’t know what is.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Klyith posted:

first google result for the title mr sleuth

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mistle posted:

Just :lol: that all those goody-goody nerds who reached Nirvana will never be able to reincarnate into a fantasy world and have a harem with girls representing half the fictional animal kingdom

It's funny that instead of a great wheel of karma where you come back as a cockroach for being bad you just end up as some other person, if it is real

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Honestly idk it makes no sense that consciousness exists to be destroyed so it stands to reason it probably has to go somewhere

That which can be created can be destroyed.

I don't think trillions of consciousnesses (only billions if you don't count non-human ones, also only accounting for life on Earth) have been around since the instant of the big bang, so makes sense that consciousness has to be created.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Gassed for not being posted in the space forum I presume

Really? gently caress I didn't see it there. Maybe it went to a better place. Or maybe it's thread consciousness suddenly ceased to be, no way to know

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Nigmaetcetera posted:

someone was touching my penis. If that isn’t compelling evidence for the existence of an immortal soul, I don’t know what is.

:hmmyes:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Donald was right
Donald is technically correct but uninsightful. Why does understanding the mechanism of a thing cheapen it? My thoughts and feelings are chemicals and electrical impulses, yes. That doesn't make them less real. It's how they work.

Likewise it's true that the universe lacks meaning, because meaning or a lack of it is a thing assigned by human minds. The universe can't have intrinsic meaning, but it's not really a negative lack of meaning either, its value isn't true or or false but null. We make meaning. The universe doesn't, and couldn't, and it's not deficient for that.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

There are videos of endless numbers of toddlers who are able to recount specific details of deceased strangers lives including names of children, profession, manner of death and claim that they are that person who died and then was born again as their present self.

i get that kids have infinite egos and if they overheard a story, the protagonist just becomes them. But most of these times it's just some random man or woman with no relation to the family, who no one would recount information about.

And it always comes out frankly, not in the typical exaggerated "and then the dinosaur came and he put the firefighter in his basketball and the basketball rolled onto the trampoline and bluey came and made a new trampoline" fashion.

what's going on?

Is there a sort of waiting area afterlife where souls wait to hop into a new body?

is it just weird coincidence generation from billions of dead human beings and the untrimmed neuronal pathways of chirrrdren?

What's up??? What's the deal??

What if souls are not just real but contain various properties and characteristics?

Whats going on?

It's that or their very religious parents have fed them a ton of bullshit and convinced them it was real.

I personally hope for the latter. What happens when the sun expands and incinerates the Earth if we are just endlessly reincarnated? Just popping into the void of space for a few agonizing seconds then dying, only to pop in again, for eternity?

When my son was 4 he told me that he was visited nightly by an alien named "Lang" while I was sleeping. Kids say weird poo poo.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 8, 2024

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

When hell is full, 3-year-olds walk the earth.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Elukka posted:

Donald is technically correct but uninsightful. Why does understanding the mechanism of a thing cheapen it? My thoughts and feelings are chemicals and electrical impulses, yes. That doesn't make them less real. It's how they work.

Likewise it's true that the universe lacks meaning, because meaning or a lack of it is a thing assigned by human minds. The universe can't have intrinsic meaning, but it's not really a negative lack of meaning either, its value isn't true or or false but null. We make meaning. The universe doesn't, and couldn't, and it's not deficient for that.

In my reading, Donald is the universe, incapable of insight. Mickey is the opposite, all reason. The real human condition is somewhere in the middle, but Goofy isn’t included in the panel.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Elukka posted:

Because people want magic and explaining a thing takes that magic away from them.

"We are special and chosen goddamn it and your SCIENCE doesn't mean poo poo so there. If there's no afterlife then all the people I hate won't burn in hell so what would even be the point?"

...or, something along those lines. People fear the void, they'll believe anything that can convince them it doesn't exist. poo poo, maybe there is something after death, but no one alive is going to know about it, they're just following fantasies.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 8, 2024

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Ultimately it doesn't matter until we use it to guide behavior or policy of some sort. Even if these kids had lived past lives, it doesn't effect anything. Well unless you're the Dalai Lama.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Op, kids are loving liars and that's all there is to it. They're just making up poo poo.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Look, my kid said they were a guy called Nigel Wembleypen and I just don't think you could make that poo poo up.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Remember that Malarkey kid who said he went to Heaven and met his grandpa and Jesus and stillborn sister and it later turned out that his parents just made all that poo poo up to sell a book and religious people were all just completely shocked that none of it was true?

That was pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

The Bible posted:

Remember that Malarkey kid who said he went to Heaven and met his grandpa and Jesus and stillborn sister and it later turned out that his parents just made all that poo poo up to sell a book and religious people were all just completely shocked that none of it was true?

That was pretty funny.
Remember when a social worker attempted to convince Congress that there was a global network of Satanic pedophiles because a bunch of kindergartners had been coaxed by their parents into lying about having been molested at a preschool