Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Remember when a social worker attempted to convince Congress that there was a global network of Satanic pedophiles because a bunch of kindergartners had been coaxed by their parents into lying about having been molested at a preschool

That was less funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

Right I don't mean it makes you into two people, but more the fact it breaks down what we understand as being ourselves. It's pretty much all just a hosed up illusion to make our brain activity make sense.

yeah your brain processing reality is a very delicate wizard of oz act

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

That which can be created can be destroyed.

I don't think trillions of consciousnesses (only billions if you don't count non-human ones, also only accounting for life on Earth) have been around since the instant of the big bang, so makes sense that consciousness has to be created.

Someone explained it to me like a Soccer game. While it is being played, that game exists. When it ends, that game no longer exists. It is over. It does not exist elsewhere in some other realm, still being played. It is gone now.

Another analogy for engineer types is a daemon. It is called, performs various functions while it exists, but is eventually terminated. That process is no longer running. It is not in some process afterlife, still running alongside all the other terminated daemons. It was an event that is simply no longer happening.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Have you considered that perhaps the three year olds are assimilating poor defenseless ghosts, thereby absorbing their memories and personalities?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've read both the Tibetan and the Egyptian Books of the Dead, so I'm something of an expert.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
How many 3 year olds with the soul of a bronze age farmer could you beat up?

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

When a fetus doesn't develop a soul on their own, one of the ones that didn't have the chops to get into the afterlife settles in.

Now some may have decades of knowledge however, they are babbies and don't know how to work an infant, which some of them just turn back into babbies.

Or, by the time they turn three they can start to talk about their bullshit or begin to make plans to dig up their buried pirate treasure or whatever trauma they are recycling from their last life.

But a lot of them realize by that point after struggling with an infant body they are going to get locked up and just have to sit and stew for a couple decades until they have the means to exact their revenge or reclaim their old bank accounts or whatever.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Maudib Arakkis posted:

we indeed have not punctured the veil OP. But you are unlikely to get far with this crowd. I have tried to bring them round to spirituality many a time.

I've seen beyond the veil op and you can't quantify it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tryna cop being 🅾️🅱️s 3 year old self

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Tippin back the THERMOS®

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

My ancestors have been tipping back the thermos for thousands of years their memories rest inside of a 3 year olds brain imperial, can you say the same?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Senor Tron posted:

That which can be created can be destroyed.

I don't think trillions of consciousnesses (only billions if you don't count non-human ones, also only accounting for life on Earth) have been around since the instant of the big bang, so makes sense that consciousness has to be created.

Consciousness would exist independent of this universe, which itself is probably one of relatively infinite universes. Also, if you look at the universe as a whole, from start to finish, the number of souls does not change, it's a finite number. A finite number which is presumably less than the actual number of unassociated souls (also some number approaching infinity).

Reincarnation seems to obvious to me- I'm surprised the idea is consistently scoffed at. Yes, you have lived before, and you will live again, and again. Organized religion is literally the reason we believe otherwise.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pontificating rear end posted:

Consciousness would exist independent of this universe, which itself is probably one of relatively infinite universes. Also, if you look at the universe as a whole, from start to finish, the number of souls does not change, it's a finite number. A finite number which is presumably less than the actual number of unassociated souls (also some number approaching infinity).

Reincarnation seems to obvious to me- I'm surprised the idea is consistently scoffed at. Yes, you have lived before, and you will live again, and again. Organized religion is literally the reason we believe otherwise.

Why obvious? At what moment does a soul enter a body and how would it look or act differently if it didn't have a soul?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Senor Tron posted:

Why obvious? At what moment does a soul enter a body and how would it look or act differently if it didn't have a soul?

Any terms we use to try to suss out the mechanics of consciousness will never work, because we'll just end up in the weeds. Best we can do is some sort of philosophical Occam's razor, which imho is that consciousness is in inherent in life; yes, every living thing has some form of a "soul." I'd go so far to say consciousness is inherent to the universe (or a greater metaphysical multiverse), and furthermore if a universe does not include consciousness it essentially never exists at all.

On a somewhat technical level: I think free-will is inherent to consciousness, so when you make a choice information is enforced onto a certain point in time (consciousness causing a probabilistic wave collapse, quantum or otherwise), which demarcates a point in time. Therefore a universe with no consciousness has nothing to demarcate time, and is nothing more than a failed singularity.

-Pontificating rear end

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 8, 2024

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
i think the soul is in the heart ❤️

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That's where groove is. No, it has to be somewhere else.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
14 and a half billion years of peace and quiet then bam he doesnt do it to her rear end like the big dumb mick he was

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The soul must be forged in a cage of flesh then released by death to move onto the next cycle of its growth. This is how it all works, but when you get to the afterlife you have to do a lot of paperwork. It's crazy amounts the younger you die the less paperwork you have to do. Your brain only starts growing once it realizes it has to prepare for doing tons of paperwork. Some brains just don't get it and are really unprepared for the paperwork because something went wrong. Generally, doing the paperwork is what's implanted as your subconscious goal, so at the end of everything you'll at least be able to know enough to get through it, but if you're a baby or something then you don't have to do any paperwork if you're unfortunate enough to go that early, so that's why babies are really dumb and don't know anything, they're still at the state where being smart enough to do paperwork isn't necessary.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

OP anime isn’t real life out the manga down

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
As I explained to you in our last lives, reincarnation IS real.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Cassette Moodcore posted:

OP anime isn’t real life out the manga down

lol

The Bible
May 8, 2010

You use the word "probably".

What probabilities are you basing this on? Why is it more likely there is more than one universe? What do you even have to base that on? How can you be so sure consciousness exists independently of the universe? Have you tested a consciousness both inside and outside of a universe? Have one sitting in a jar somewhere?

Mind you, I'm not saying you're wrong, just asking why you're so sure that you're right.

(consciousness causing a probabilistic wave collapse, quantum or otherwise)

Ah, nevermind then.

So what New Age self-help book did you get all this from?

The Bible fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 8, 2024

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i had a bad trip once where i was obsessing over the cycle of samsara and the yuga cycle and the everett many worlds theory and thought that possibilities would contract and expand over the course of 1000 years or so and i was stuck in this condensed part of reality where i had no free will and couldn't do anything about it. diagram attached, the arrow is where i was

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pac and Cheese posted:

i had a bad trip once where i was obsessing over the cycle of samsara and the yuga cycle and the everett many worlds theory and thought that possibilities would contract and expand over the course of 1000 years or so and i was stuck in this condensed part of reality where i had no free will and couldn't do anything about it. diagram attached, the arrow is where i was

I was on LSD with my friends once and at one point we all were startled and chilled to our cores because some creepy child's voice wascoming from downstairs. Anyway it turned out we had put A Phantom Menace on downstairs and in our acid fueled haze we had completely forgot about it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's very obvious that in this life reincarnation with the fluctuation of the quantum daybreak waves and the parallel convergence of soul conjecturing that we have entered a precipitant conflux wherein you all should give me fifty bucks each.

This is because of probabilistic wave collapse, and also my bank account is the reincarnation of a Hedonistic Queen who is doing hydraulic jump factors so it is ideal for the collective health of the universe to deliver a synergistic conclusion to formulate resolution of the issue, which, again, is the lack of giving me fifty bucks each.

Namaste my fellow JO energy collectors, namaste.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Seriously though, kids latch on to anything that gets a reaction. When one of my cousins was 3, he heard this old Budweiser commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ksf3Oe8cU

and his dad laughed.

3 hours later and he's loving shrieking "Doobie Doobie Doo" at the top of his lungs. Kids don't know when to let a bit go when it once got them some attention.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Any terms we use to try to suss out the mechanics of consciousness will never work, because we'll just end up in the weeds. Best we can do is some sort of philosophical Occam's razor, which imho is that consciousness is in inherent in life; yes, every living thing has some form of a "soul." I'd go so far to say consciousness is inherent to the universe (or a greater metaphysical multiverse), and furthermore if a universe does not include consciousness it essentially never exists at all.

On a somewhat technical level: I think free-will is inherent to consciousness, so when you make a choice information is enforced onto a certain point in time (consciousness causing a probabilistic wave collapse, quantum or otherwise), which demarcates a point in time. Therefore a universe with no consciousness has nothing to demarcate time, and is nothing more than a failed singularity.

-Pontificating rear end

The quantum uncertainty principle has nothing to do with consciousness. Conscious observation doesn't change anything in the physical world. That's all just new age woo bullshit.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Devils Affricate posted:

The quantum uncertainty principle has nothing to do with consciousness. Conscious observation doesn't change anything in the physical world. That's all just new age woo bullshit.

I actually manifested this post. I imagined you making this post exactly and it now manifested.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I actually manifested this post. I imagined you making this post exactly and it now manifested.

rear end in a top hat.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I just assumed all you guys were also Boltzmann brains.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
he's completely right though, observation just means the particle hit something and bounced off it

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006
Hell is full, so the souls are shunted to a body instead of being tortured forever like they deserve.

Why else do you think the world is this way?

Y'all need Jesus

TheBlackVegetable fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 8, 2024

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

lmao @ how many people misinterpret wave function collapse and quantum eigenstate as being related to consciousness (human or otherwise) in any way whatsoever.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

That's where groove is. No, it has to be somewhere else.

The soul is part of the foot, duh

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The Bible posted:

rear end in a top hat.

You're laughing, he manifested a post and you're laughing!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Pac and Cheese posted:

something I said to my friend on aol instant messenger during the tail end of my first of two ever mushroom trips (verbatim spelling and all)
“ahaha you can dye 1000 times
and live a million times
theyre both stupid
be an elf (i had communicated with these elf things and adopted their dialect)
snarf a garble! “

(in the trip i had started with a really brutal stomach ache as the mushrooms were a bit cobweb moldly, and had done endless ego death as i writhed with intense pain, traveling through the galaxy each time, being reborn and dying again. it makes me wonder if kids catch ambient waves of consciousness[if there is such a thing] and get imprinted. But who the hell knows )

…………….
i think a lot of good points are being made. i appreciate you all sharing your thoughts.

my rebuttal to the people saying kids are just lying is in those books I linked. some kids are able to relay specific details of random dead strangers with no connection to their families. and it happens a lot.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 8, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My rebuttal to your rebuttal is those books are dumb and bad actually. How you coming back from that one, OP, huh?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Developmentally speaking the human brain is unable to synthesize original thoughts until the age of like 11 so the kids are probably just repeating some bullshit they heard.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Bible posted:

Seriously though, kids latch on to anything that gets a reaction. When one of my cousins was 3, he heard this old Budweiser commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ksf3Oe8cU

and his dad laughed.

3 hours later and he's loving shrieking "Doobie Doobie Doo" at the top of his lungs. Kids don't know when to let a bit go when it once got them some attention.

Yeah kids are information sponges, it's crazy what they'll regurgitate at the most unexpected time. Especially if it gets a reaction.

Dejan Bimble posted:

my rebuttal to the people saying kids are just lying is in those books I linked. some kids are able to relay specific details of random dead strangers with no connection to their families. and it happens a lot.

Your references are a dead academic who based everything on anecdotal reports and 2 dudes who worked for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

someone who doesn't think kids can lie posted:

Conrad lingered in the sanctuary to ask questions. Then he went to find his boys, who had grown bored and left to play in the halls. He found them near the vending machines drinking Coke and talking to a stocky man Conrad didn't know. The man introduced himself and said he taught meditation at the church. "I work with indigos," he said, handing Conrad a business card. "Are you an indigo?" he asked Dusk. The boy looked at him shyly and nodded. "I'm an avatar," Dusk said. "I can recognize the four elements of earth, wind, water and fire. The next avatar won't come for 100 years."

The man seemed impressed. He crouched down in front of Dusk. "What am I thinking right now?" he asked. Dusk shrugged. "That's OK," he said, placing his hand on the boy's shoulder. "Maybe we can try some other time when not so many people are around."