Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

How does the cockroach live a good life to come back as something better? What noble acts of benevolence can a cockroach do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetSUOOO
Mar 1, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

How does the cockroach live a good life to come back as something better? What noble acts of benevolence can a cockroach do?

it could help another cockroach get a juicy piece of poop, and thus guarantee themselves poo buddhahoodie

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hello I am a humble scorpion seeking passage across this river.....

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Would being a cockroach even be all that bad? We speak of them disparagingly because they suck for us, but the cockroaches themselves seem to be having a blast most of the time.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Do you think humans are the last step before Nirvana or do we get to be dolphins or orcas before that? They seem to know how to have fun.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

You never seen a bunch of cockroaches before, and one of them is emanating a sacred, holy glow, and they’re giving little sermons to the other cockroaches? I mean it’s not something you see every day, but it happens.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

As long as I am a cognizant individual? I'm good!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

redshirt posted:

As long as I am a cognizant individual? I'm good!

You'll get there some day, buddy

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

You'll get there some day, buddy

:boom:

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone address the whole issue of "we all have souls from past lives" but also there's significantly more people on this planet than originally. So like, did we have a stockpile of souls and like, some got picked first and they've just been in circulation and the rest were printed later? Or do some people just not get souls? Or everyone gets new souls, hot off the press, but these three year olds get used hand-me-downs? Or were souls an invention like halfway through humanity's existence?

I need an answer that is consistent both internally and externally and everyone agrees on.

A bunch of animals get souls, too. There's plenty to go around.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Powerful Katrinka posted:

A bunch of animals get souls, too. There's plenty to go around.

Please list all of the ones that do :kimchi:

Devils Affricate posted:

Would being a cockroach even be all that bad? We speak of them disparagingly because they suck for us, but the cockroaches themselves seem to be having a blast most of the time.

I've never known a cockroach to have a midlife crisis and blow their savings on a lovely sports car they crash immediately. Who's the real animal?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone address the whole issue of "we all have souls from past lives" but also there's significantly more people on this planet than originally. So like, did we have a stockpile of souls and like, some got picked first and they've just been in circulation and the rest were printed later? Or do some people just not get souls? Or everyone gets new souls, hot off the press, but these three year olds get used hand-me-downs? Or were souls an invention like halfway through humanity's existence?

I need an answer that is consistent both internally and externally and everyone agrees on.

IF you are using this logic, the universe ultimately is a finite timeline from start to finish!! there is certain a number of souls in the timeline you foolS!! they are not created nor destroyed!I!

Anyway I still find it interesting 6 pages later itt that people do so much mental gymnastics to try and explain away reincarnation. Billions of years and an entire unknown existence beyond this universe, and you think you just happened to spawn at this current time by complete happenstance, and you will soon die and never exist again. just lmao lol etc

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Smoke a drug until you consider the quantum mechanics of the soul, then watch Enter the Void for a literal simulation of what happens when you die
you fools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxhmXWuUsJE

spoilers there's a sex hotel before you reincarnate

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

I've never known a cockroach to have a midlife crisis and blow their savings on a lovely sports car they crash immediately. Who's the real animal?

I don't see them screwing each other over a percentage.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Pontificating rear end posted:

Billions of years and an entire unknown existence beyond this universe, and you think you just happened to spawn at this current time by complete happenstance, and you will soon die and never exist again. just lmao lol etc

I don't think it's very funny =/

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Anyway I still find it interesting 6 pages later itt that people do so much mental gymnastics to try and explain away reincarnation

From the quantum reincarnation poster lmao this thread is amazing.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm gonna reincarnate some ingredients into some food soon. Then eat them.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

syntaxfunction posted:

Dawg you are literally talking about the mechanics of quantizing the soul (into exactly one [1pc] unit) and the specifics of when it enters the body, leaves it, and whether it can be created or destroyed as if it follows thermodynamic laws of matter.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The rule of reincarnation is pay, pray, or slay: nobody reincarnates for free.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

yeah this thread is on the level of the Nibiru is COMING! group I read on Facebook as far as bang for your entertainment buck

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

MrQwerty posted:

yeah this thread is on the level of the Nibiru is COMING! group I read on Facebook as far as bang for your entertainment buck

I hope you all know I will be taking this as POSITIVE feedback

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Collateral posted:

This is it. I did similar things when I was little. After, according to my dad, screaming for my entire first loving year, I started to learn words. I would tell my mum about things that had happened in the 60's, particularly about her favourite cousin who got wiped out on a moped in '63. It freaked her out a lot. The reality was that my grandfather, a clever scallywag, picked up on my tendancy to repeat things I had heard in personal terms, and would tell me about stuff I wouldn't know. He thought it was hilarious. Except the time I told him about a robbery he and his brothers planned but never followed through on.

I have no memory of any of this.

My uncle taught me all the songs from the Cheech and Chong movies and never told anyone he did it.

I caused a lot of extra parent-teacher conferences due to that. Never even occurred to me to tell anyone where I learned the songs. I didn't even understand them.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

IF you are using this logic, the universe ultimately is a finite timeline from start to finish!! there is certain a number of souls in the timeline you foolS!! they are not created nor destroyed!I!

Anyway I still find it interesting 6 pages later itt that people do so much mental gymnastics to try and explain away reincarnation. Billions of years and an entire unknown existence beyond this universe, and you think you just happened to spawn at this current time by complete happenstance, and you will soon die and never exist again. just lmao lol etc

I mean, we aren't going to spawn in a time/place that doesn't support life, so of course.

It's the Anthropic Principle.

We're not really explaining it away, either. To do that, it would need to be something that obviously exists. You can't disprove something that hasn't first been proven.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Dawg you are literally talking about the mechanics of quantizing the soul (into exactly one [1pc] unit) and the specifics of when it enters the body, leaves it, and whether it can be created or destroyed as if it follows thermodynamic laws of matter.

Good point, guess we should all believe in some weird arbitrary bullshit for no reason

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
People who believe in reincarnation don't have souls, it's true, I read it in a book.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Bible posted:

I mean, we aren't going to spawn in a time/place that doesn't support life, so of course.

It's the Anthropic Principle.

We're not really explaining it away, either. To do that, it would need to be something that obviously exists. You can't disprove something that hasn't first been proven.

Clearly a random sewer rat in medieval Europe had an eternal soul, because what are the odds of that particular rat existing at that particular time and place.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Y'all forgetting all the aliens out there. They have souls too and get mixed into the pot.

You may have been XHOSAR the CALAGSTONIAN in another life bro.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't see them screwing each other over a percentage.

Why don't you put her in charge man!

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

redshirt posted:

Y'all forgetting all the aliens out there. They have souls too and get mixed into the pot.

Now THIS guy gets it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

redshirt posted:

how fast does a soul move when it needs to get to another body? can it move faster than light

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
souls are an energy field permeating the universe, like the force or some poo poo. in 200 years some physicist is gonna receive the nobel prize for finding the soul boson or w/e

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Hammerite posted:

how fast does a soul move when it needs to get to another body? can it move faster than light

Souls use quantum tunneling obviously.

Also this thread makes a lot more sense when I remember I, too, enjoy getting high and watching Ancient Aliens sometimes.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Why should we assume that it doesn't?

This whole "mystical bullshit I believe doesn't obey the laws of the universe" has never sat well with me. Anything that exists in this universe follows the rules of it. Anything that exists can be proven to exist.

There's no reason to believe that scientific observation should always fail to detect something like a soul. If it does exist, it occupies space (living beings, presumably), has an effect on them, leaves when they die, etc. There's no reason any of this shouldn't be observable. You could argue that we simply haven't figured out how to detect it yet, but then you're just defeating your own assertion that it exists. You don't know any more about it than anyone else in that case.

This post is like ghost hunters waving around electronics tools and insisting a ghost is in the room because there's an electrical field near the light socket. Why assume a ghost would even project such a field, and in such a broad range that any imporperly calibrated sensor will detect it? One would need to first capture a ghost and test it under a variety of conditions to know if that would be a valid means of detecting them. You can't just use random tools made for totally different purposes and expect them to actually do anything related to ghost hunting. What are you using to determine that souls don't obey the laws of thermodynamics? Absent those tools, why do you assume they simply just do not?

Senor Tron posted:

Clearly a random sewer rat in medieval Europe had an eternal soul, because what are the odds of that particular rat existing at that particular time and place.

I was trying to explain this to my 8 year-old the other day. Probability and Possibility are easily conflated. He was confused about how events with tiny chances of happening, such as a mother having triplets, seemingly happen fairly often.

I explained it like this. Imagine you had 1 trillion people standing equal distances apart from each other in a square formation. You are standing above them, and toss a quarter into the pit they are in. Assume that the coin could somehow reach any of the trillion below.

The odds of any given person down there catching the coin are virtually non-existent. You could repeat the experiment for thousands of years and a particular person will never catch the coin even once. However:

The odds that someone will catch the coin are 100%. It will absolutely happen (interjection about missing the catch or dropping the coin aside, of course). That coin will land somewhere, and one of those people will have it, despite the nearly impossible odds of that particular person ever catching it. Everyone has equally terrible odds, but someone will certainly win.

Not the perfect answer to his question, but ELI5 enough, I figured.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 14, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hammerite posted:

souls are an energy field permeating the universe, like the force or some poo poo. in 200 years some physicist is gonna receive the nobel prize for finding the soul boson or w/e

Yeah, this is it. Once released from their physical imprisonment, soul energy returns to the Soul Field, a quantum energy field that does indeed exist everywhere.

Souls just pop in and out of existence from the Soul Field. Also, the music is real chill.

tetSUOOO
Mar 1, 2024
my soul is directly observable through the soul window i have had installed in my chest. It is purple, and has wavelength harmonization with my pooper, pulsating in tandem

The Bible
May 8, 2010

tetSUOOO posted:

my soul is directly observable through the soul window i have had installed in my chest. It is purple, and has wavelength harmonization with my pooper, pulsating in tandem

You got the bad soul.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Bible posted:

You got the bad soul.

You roll the dice, you play your cards. Try again next time Pal.

tetSUOOO
Mar 1, 2024

redshirt posted:

Souls just pop in and out of existence from the Soul Field. Also, the music is real chill.

It's there mostly to drown out the dying screams of all those souls ceasing to exist, but I think the composer has some real talent regardless

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Hammerite posted:

Nah souls are produced by tiny symbiotic microorganisms in our blood. Now this is metaphysics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nah souls are produced by tiny symbiotic microorganisms in our blood. Now this is metaphysics

how do the microorganisms do that? isn't this a homunculus argument