Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah kids are information sponges, it's crazy what they'll regurgitate at the most unexpected time. Especially if it gets a reaction.

Your references are a dead academic who based everything on anecdotal reports and 2 dudes who worked for him.

People be videotaping their kids doing this in the present day without knowing about this dead mon. It's just going on whether we like it or not.

I get that kids say random poo poo, the viral one of today was a little Mexican girl weeping because she isn't Chinese. But why say verifiable poo poo specifically details from dead strangers lives.

Lots of problems with some central supply of souls due to the ever increasing number of people. Which would imply some people get born without a soul or something? Doesn't make sense. Consciousness is a strange thing. Some people say it's fake. Some people disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That's pretty impressive recall, almost word for word the intro from The Last Airbender

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Dejan Bimble posted:

People be videotaping their kids doing this in the present day without knowing about this dead mon. It's just going on whether we like it or not.

I get that kids say random poo poo, the viral one of today was a little Mexican girl weeping because she isn't Chinese. But why say verifiable poo poo specifically details from dead strangers lives.

:lol: when you find a kid who was raised in complete isolation start talking about who they were in a previous life including social security number, birth date, and last three known addresses get back to me.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 8, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

"I'm an avatar," Dusk said. "I can recognize the four elements of earth, wind, water and fire. The next avatar won't come for 100 years."

This was true, until the fire nation attacked.

Edit

That's pretty impressive recall, almost word for word the intro from The Last Airbender
Jerk :mad:

Dejan Bimble posted:

Lots of problems with some central supply of souls due to the ever increasing number of people.

See there's yer problem. All yer foundations are shaky, never got installed right. Oh sure ya can fix em, but we're talking a whole rebuild. Gotta add some empirical evidence, some verified observations, just a lotta work. Not sure if it's worth it, ya know? Maybe if yer really sentimental, but hoo boy, probably better off getting a new one.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

syntaxfunction posted:

This was true, until the fire nation attacked.

Edit

Jerk :mad:

See there's yer problem. All yer foundations are shaky, never got installed right. Oh sure ya can fix em, but we're talking a whole rebuild. Gotta add some empirical evidence, some verified observations, just a lotta work. Not sure if it's worth it, ya know? Maybe if yer really sentimental, but hoo boy, probably better off getting a new one.

same soul same family thatll cost ya

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

my rebuttal to the people saying kids are just lying is in those books I linked. some kids are able to relay specific details of random dead strangers with no connection to their families. and it happens a lot.

According to their families. The people selling the books.

Then again, it's not like there are books or websites about people in history.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 8, 2024

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

We wuz kangs

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

It's from a rather long article about the study of indigo children and dumb parents who would rather believe their child is magic instead of needing more attention or medication or whatever rational solution exists to solve their behavioural issues.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/little-boy-blue-6379409

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pontificating rear end posted:

Any terms we use to try to suss out the mechanics of consciousness will never work, because we'll just end up in the weeds. Best we can do is some sort of philosophical Occam's razor, which imho is that consciousness is in inherent in life; yes, every living thing has some form of a "soul." I'd go so far to say consciousness is inherent to the universe (or a greater metaphysical multiverse), and furthermore if a universe does not include consciousness it essentially never exists at all.

On a somewhat technical level: I think free-will is inherent to consciousness, so when you make a choice information is enforced onto a certain point in time (consciousness causing a probabilistic wave collapse, quantum or otherwise), which demarcates a point in time. Therefore a universe with no consciousness has nothing to demarcate time, and is nothing more than a failed singularity.

-Pontificating rear end

All the business about conscious causing wave collapse and the like aside, which just feels like trying to wrap religious concepts up in scientific jargon, I tend to agree with the line of thought that consciousness is in some way an intrinsic property of matter, in the same way mass, charge, and the like are. But at the base level it's so simple that it only becomes recognizable as consciousness as an emergent thing in a complex system like a mind.

That also means it's not really useful to think of the individual base units continuing as reincarnation or a soul or continuation of consciousness in any meaningful way. When a brain dies the exact same matter is there, the same base units of consciousness, but the organization and connection is lost such that it ceases to behave as one larger consciousness.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Lots of problems with some central supply of souls due to the ever increasing number of people. Which would imply some people get born without a soul or something? Doesn't make sense. Consciousness is a strange thing. Some people say it's fake. Some people disagree

Because the parents researched those people and fed details to the kid, then manipulated them into regurgitating it on the news.

Seriously, people do lie. All the time. This isn't really a 50/50 thing. The kid is almost certainly repeating something he was taught.

This is pretty loving obvious, man.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
When a scam works a lot of people do it. There were more nails on display at various Abby's and villages than Christ had limbs for. Enough fragments of the cross to build seven of them lol. There's your answer, and the truth

The Bible
May 8, 2010

sex excellence posted:

When a scam works a lot of people do it. There were more nails on display at various Abby's and villages than Christ had limbs for. Enough fragments of the cross to build seven of them lol. There's your answer, and the truth

Nuh uh because the parents SAID they didn't tell him and even though they were able to confirm the details about this person's life online they couldn't have had any way to know about it beforehand.

They're virtually all Christians too, so of course they can't be lying.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Bible posted:

Nuh uh because the parents SAID they didn't tell him and even though they were able to confirm the details about this person's life online they couldn't have had any way to know about it beforehand.

They're virtually all Christians too, so of course they can't be lying.

I haven’t seen any religious angle in any of the videos I’ve seen. parents seem more weirdly perplexed than anything

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

For reals though, epigenetics is a super interesting field and there’s evidence that suggests that some memories* can be transmitted on to younger generations. Depending on your definition of self, reincarnation might be a thing anyways! Although I’ll admit it’s a pretty boring, half-assed reincarnation compared to the pop culture version.

*trauma and learned fear responses as tested on rats. I guess they had trouble memorizing Avatar so the researchers settled for scaring the poo poo out of them

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

I haven’t seen any religious angle in any of the videos I’ve seen. parents seem more weirdly perplexed than anything

You really are such the perfect audience for this stuff it's honestly loving adorable :allears:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

A real-life "let me tell you what a mark I am" thread in the wild

The Bible
May 8, 2010

For reals though, epigenetics is a super interesting field and there’s evidence that suggests that some memories* can be transmitted on to younger generations.

Oh for gently caress's sake...

That isn't epigenetics!

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

parents seem more weirdly perplexed than anything

Because. they. are. running. a. scam.

Read that again.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

syntaxfunction posted:

You really are such the perfect audience for this stuff it's honestly loving adorable :allears:

Random strangers saying my kid is doing something weird and gaining no money from it sounds like a great scam. Rational redditor rear end

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

This thread is funny voted 4

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Random strangers saying my kid is doing something weird and gaining no money from it sounds like a great scam. Rational redditor rear end

The parents are the ones making the claim. They researched some rando, taught the kid a bunch of poo poo and convinced him he is the reincarnation of that person. Then they act surprised in front of cameras.

They are selling a book about it. There is a clear profit motive. It is the most basic level of scam, below even Nigerian Prince email scams.

This is a Poe, isn't it?

The Bible fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 8, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010

You know what, I'm actually turned around on this. I believe you.

So I'm going to let you in on a great investment opportunity. Ever hear of a crawdad farm?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I just got rung up by God. He's shutting the thread down.. someone got too close to the truth im not saying who.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'll have you know I'm neither a redditor nor rational.

You can tell because I believe in spooky ghosts, vampire that go BLEH and reincarnated Indigo children that somehow forget the whole gig the moment they get old enough to think for themselves.

HIT LIKE EVEFRY TIME YOU KNOW ITS TRUE.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The Bible posted:

You know what, I'm actually turned around on this. I believe you.

So I'm going to let you in on a great investment opportunity. Ever hear of a crawdad farm?

allow me to introduce you to my good friend, The Crawdaddy

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I was Napoleon

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Bible posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake...

That isn't epigenetics!

Well it is, but also it's really goddamn hard to make it sound appealing to conspiracy minded folks.

Like a better attempt (and probably still inaccurate and definitely vague because I'm not a biologist) is that epigenetics is the study of changes to the chromosome that don't alter the DNA sequence, which in some rare cases are transgenerational. Fear responses cause some neat stuff to happen to genes associated with memory, and their mRNA

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Also jesus i was jesus too I call jesus

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Bible posted:

You use the word "probably".

What probabilities are you basing this on? Why is it more likely there is more than one universe? What do you even have to base that on? How can you be so sure consciousness exists independently of the universe? Have you tested a consciousness both inside and outside of a universe? Have one sitting in a jar somewhere?

Mind you, I'm not saying you're wrong, just asking why you're so sure that you're right.

Ah, nevermind then.

So what New Age self-help book did you get all this from?

I used moderative language like "probably" and "I think" to reduce the likelihood of receiving largely inane replies to specific wordage, but here we are. The reason I invoked the trigger-word "quantum" is because people are familiar with the so-called 'quantum waveform collapse' so I figured it would make it more relatable, and it has indeed, such that you've attached the wrong implications.

My LEARNED ASSERTION is consciousness does not use quantum magic, rather events occur from a wave of probability collapsing to a singular event. If consciousness makes a choice that causes an event to occur, then the CHOICE has informed this action, and that causes the singular event to be cemented in history FROM what is otherwise only probability.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

My LEARNED ASSERTION is consciousness does not use quantum magic, rather events occur from a wave of probability collapsing to a singular event. If consciousness makes a choice that causes an event to occur, then the CHOICE has informed this action, and that causes the singular event to be cemented in history FROM what is otherwise only probability.

No offense, but this is gibberish.

I'm no quantum physicist, but I know enough about it to know that you aren't either. This is straight nonsense.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I used moderative language like "probably" and "I think" to reduce the likelihood of receiving largely inane replies to specific wordage, but here we are. The reason I invoked the trigger-word "quantum" is because people are familiar with the so-called 'quantum waveform collapse' so I figured it would make it more relatable, and it has indeed, such that you've attached the wrong implications.

This is a lot of words to say "I never took a science class but sure like the fancy words" lol

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Sorry but it's all sound logic and the wording is concise. It doesnt hurt the thread :justpost:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
consciousness is just a weird loop of processed sensory data being constantly compared to new information while trying to predict most likely outcomes based on past events

everyone is living like two seconds in the past

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Sorry but it's all sound logic and the wording is concise. It doesnt hurt the thread :justpost:

It's gibberish but yeah it's funny and makes the thread funnier so we can at least agree on that.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Citing physics to prove the existence of a soul or reincarnation or mindreading is like citing gastronomy to prove that dragons are real.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Bible posted:

It's gibberish but yeah it's funny and makes the thread funnier so we can at least agree on that.

Ultimately I try to consider if I am derailing or making GBS threads up the thread before I post this crap, it's ok if people dont agree

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

syntaxfunction posted:

Citing physics to prove the existence of a soul or reincarnation or mindreading is like citing gastronomy to prove that dragons are real.

Well if it's a recipe for roast loving dragon why not? Why would someone go to the trouble?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

If the soul were real though there would be no reason it couldn't be proven to exist.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Well if it's a recipe for roast loving dragon why not? Why would someone go to the trouble?

If dragons are reptiles then they'll be crawling with salmonella. There's a reason we typically don't eat reptiles.

Now I'm waiting for someone to post actual reptiles that are eaten.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Also I think when you reincarnate you get to pick your spawn point but you can only spawn places you've been before like a checkpoint system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The Bible posted:

If the soul were real though there would be no reason it couldn't be proven to exist.
It's not really proving it tho, it's more going "ah see King Arthur definitively killed a dragon because the maillard reaction is real".

The Bible posted:

Now I'm waiting for someone to post actual reptiles that are eaten.
One eyed snake eyy gotem