Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I so very much want to believe in reincarnation, but it's very tough for me to buy into the metaphysical stuff.

At the same time, there's a gently caress load of real science that's still like magic to me, so :shrug:

I still have some sort of memory of my grandfather being wheeled out of my grandparents' house when he died. I remember one of the paramedics who was there. He died in 78, I was born in 83.

I still mostly chalk it up to my grandmother telling me stories about that day and my kid brain making up thoughts and images based on what I was hearing, or maybe a dream I had after she told me about it. But in the back of my mind, that small bit of doubt is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

People be videotaping their kids doing this in the present day without knowing about this dead mon. It's just going on whether we like it or not.

I get that kids say random poo poo, the viral one of today was a little Mexican girl weeping because she isn't Chinese. But why say verifiable poo poo specifically details from dead strangers lives.

Lots of problems with some central supply of souls due to the ever increasing number of people. Which would imply some people get born without a soul or something? Doesn't make sense. Consciousness is a strange thing. Some people say it's fake. Some people disagree

I always thought a neat plot device for some horror movie or thriller or whatever would be the discovery that there were only ever a few souls to go around that would have to be divided up for the living, and as the human population grew and grew, the integrity of these souls was stretched thinner and thinner to accommodate for every current living human, and it causes a violent descent into some sort of societal decay or hell on earth situation.

But that doesn't really stack up to the fact that people used to burn people alive in front of a town's population for minor poo poo, or that racism was so very, very worse the farther back you go. We got problems, absolutely but the past is always more brutal.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 8, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

I read a short story once about a person who had just died and woke up in the afterlife, and there's this warm, smiling god figure there that explains to them that they are basically the only soul on earth. They are slowly reincarnating their way through each and every life on earth, jumping around through time, and once they have the life experiences of every person who has ever lived, they will be a god like figure as well, and then wishes them well as they go off to begin the next life. It was a pretty cool little story and I sometimes wish I could find it again.

Holy poo poo, I've had that exact same thought! I'm no writer, so I guess it didn't matter, but I guess I can't ever use that idea.