Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chinese Reincarnation Cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

All is illusion, all is temporary

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've read both the Tibetan and the Egyptian Books of the Dead, so I'm something of an expert.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was a poor factory worker, than a poor field worker, than another poor field worker, than once a seamstress, that was nice, than a whole long line of field workers, so on and such.

One glorious time, long ago, I was the Piss Boy!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lotta Karmic energy in this thread. Not so chill.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Esplanade posted:

Is it always 3 year olds?

Like, what happened 3 years ago to let a bunch of souls loose in our plane?

It's like 27 for rock singers/messiahs

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's true. There's a chart showing memory loss of past lives as you get older.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pencilhands posted:

May I see it?

No, that's for 3rd Degree Members.

But basically by 3 years old you're about to forget everything of the lives before.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

All is One, we are all but reflections of the One

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Each new generation is that much further removed from The One

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Virtual Particles

*Snorts fat line of quarks

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

vudan posted:

Maybe some people find it comforting, to me the idea of being perpetually recycled and experiencing pain and loss over and over again is distressing.

I mean, what's the point? If I'm a bird or a cockroach or even another human, it's not me anymore. If it was proven that reincarnation was real, I don't honestly know if it would change anything.

This is the question of Nietzsche's Eternal Return: Imagine you had all the time in the world, eternal, and you keep having to make the same choices, over and over, in just the same way eventually....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beginner Tips:

1 Follow the Light
2 But not the False Light
3 Whenever there's a choice, choose "The Light"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Me who prefers dark mode: :ohdear:

Join us in The Light

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You have a center, the Earth has a center, the Sun has a center, the Galaxy has a center....

Find your center, and then find your center in relation to other centers....

You will find

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stunt-Puffin posted:

What happens to our eternally reincarnating souls after the heat death of the universe? We all just floatin' around the infinite void of absolute darkness for the rest of forever?

Eventually all becomes One, that then begins a new Universe.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Shrugs

You work with what you are given

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TBLALV posted:

Can someone tell me why I got reincarnated into a depressed anxious wreck

I would like to speak with the world manager please this is bullshit

Karma bro, sorry.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

UR DAD

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Souls are splinters of The One, each piece precious but also common.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol dumb rear end dog

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Conan the Barbarian did it in Marvel comics and quickly became a criminal and got involved in organized crime.

gently caress yeah Conan!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

The universe is completely deterministic and your current thoughts/beliefs you might think you came to through introspection and discovery were always meant to be there.

You were probably Hitler in your past life

Quantum mechanics is anything but deterministic.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hello I am a humble scorpion seeking passage across this river.....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

As long as I am a cognizant individual? I'm good!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Y'all forgetting all the aliens out there. They have souls too and get mixed into the pot.

You may have been XHOSAR the CALAGSTONIAN in another life bro.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't see them screwing each other over a percentage.

Why don't you put her in charge man!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hammerite posted:

souls are an energy field permeating the universe, like the force or some poo poo. in 200 years some physicist is gonna receive the nobel prize for finding the soul boson or w/e

Yeah, this is it. Once released from their physical imprisonment, soul energy returns to the Soul Field, a quantum energy field that does indeed exist everywhere.

Souls just pop in and out of existence from the Soul Field. Also, the music is real chill.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Bible posted:

You got the bad soul.

You roll the dice, you play your cards. Try again next time Pal.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Idk ask the jedi council

I'll take this one.

You see, the Force is created by the midichlorians, which are present in all living cells.....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Cats, dolphins, primates, dogs, whales, some sharks and goats (it's on an individual basis and not by species)

Name one shark with a soul. I'll wait.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Morris Kane, nurse shark, 12 years old, swims around the Brazilian coast mostly. Good guy, a little temperamental with people so he mostly avoids the tourist hangouts. He gets pretty chatty when he gets a little caffeine in him, it's actually kinda funny

Hmmm....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What about we capture celebrity souls and sell them in pieces

Ghostbusting, but for celebrities.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Any soul will spend far far far far far more time disembodied, residing in the great Soul Field, than actually inhabiting a physical meat costume.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

OK that's good evidence. ACCEPTED.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I've seen a lot of stories about Slenderman but that don't make him real lmao

You ever think about an alien Slenderman, in a galaxy like 10 million light years away?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Want to release that Ring monster lady on Galaxy PX9-474

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

What if we end up with so many living things one day that there aren't any souls left in the soul bank? Will it be impossible for women to get pregnant at that point, or will the children just come out soulless?

In Gamma Gen I'a they are working on a giant soul machine, capable of spitting out a new soul every 20 Earth minutes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Here's a cool short story on this subject by Andy Weir, author of The Martian

https://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pontificating rear end posted:

Believing in a spiritual soul is a fantasy? You really think a person dies forever and there is nothingness for all infinity (even though there is actually provably somethingness for all infinity)? Call me the quantum soul guy, but I'm guessing what you believe is a nihilistic oversimplification mostly influenced by conventional physics?

Yes