Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

3 year olds hear stuff in conversation and repeat it and adults are credulous and have lovely memories so they forget they mentioned it around the kid

my cousin was allegedly a reincarnation bc initially he walked w a limp that my great grandfather only picked up from time in a POW camp in ww2. but like, logically it seems more likely they shared biomechanics and that limp resulted from the muscles not being strong enough (ie from a baby just learning to walk and not having built up the strength yet, and muscle atrophy from malnutrition)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

kids also have super good memories until they are about 3 when your memory starts to change over to normal human style. like every kid has an eidetic memory (in the way that it actually exists) up until basically theyre able to talk, so suddenly a 3 year old starts talking and theyre full of info about your dead nan that you forgot you said around them

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

That's a good example. I'm fond of car license plates as well. Every drive it is astronomically unlikely to have seen those particular license plates on other cars in the combination you did.

or like shuffling a deck of cards. theres so many possible permutations that pretty much any shuffle has a good chance of being unique in human history, because the number of permutations is 52 factorial (aka 52x51x50x49...) which ends up some insanely big number

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Pontificating rear end posted:

Kids under 3 cant even process the words into concepts, they're not retaining every word ever heard and then repeating it later after they've learned to speak. I'm sure you could find a thousand stories about kids that age talking about things they have had absolutely no exposure to.

yea thats why memory works differently before 3 like i said. it would not be useful to have a concept based memory when you cannot process concepts.

i have a really good memory and can fake being psychic pretty easily by repeating stuff to people they told me before but forgot they told me. you have no idea how much poo poo people forget constantly. there is a 0% chance a parent can tell you every single piece of info their kid has been exposed to, because little kids can fuckin repeat poo poo they heard a snippet of on the radio perfectly. 3 is the exact right age to be able to talk but still have residual babymemory powers

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

it would be really stupid if we reincarnated and kept our memories for a little bit but then forgot them. like they survive death and rebirth, somehow work in a completely different, unfinished brain architecture, and THEN you forget them so your brain can make room for uhhh the names of all the pokemon

i mean like evolutionary pressure would select for people who had adult memories longer as a baby, as it would let you shortcut a lot of tiresome learning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Pontificating rear end posted:

It would be easy to imagine a soul having some sort of "memory." Maybe it's more of an emotional memory, so if you found yourself in a different brain you could still conjure "memories" based on feelings (for lack of a better term) that are interpreted by the new brain a certain way.

it would make more sense to me if there was just one soul beaming out of infinity and each human body decodes the signal a different way, and you accidentally tune into other people's facets of the big soul while the receiver in your brain is still learning to filter out the rest.

reincarnation just doesnt have anything analogous to it anywhere in nature, as it seems to involve both time travel and arbitrary information redistribution without causal linkage