Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
There are videos of endless numbers of toddlers who are able to recount specific details of deceased strangers lives including names of children, profession, manner of death and claim that they are that person who died and then was born again as their present self.

i get that kids have infinite egos and if they overheard a story, the protagonist just becomes them. But most of these times it's just some random man or woman with no relation to the family, who no one would recount information about.

And it always comes out frankly, not in the typical exaggerated "and then the dinosaur came and he put the firefighter in his basketball and the basketball rolled onto the trampoline and bluey came and made a new trampoline" fashion.

what's going on?

Is there a sort of waiting area afterlife where souls wait to hop into a new body?

is it just weird coincidence generation from billions of dead human beings and the untrimmed neuronal pathways of chirrrdren?

What's up??? What's the deal??

What if souls are not just real but contain various properties and characteristics?

Whats going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Padical posted:

I dunno man but I intend to find out

https://shop.harvard.com/book/9781250063489
this book has a bunch of stories
https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-studies/our-research/children-who-report-memories-of-previous-lives/ here's a summary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson

This is another guy who worked on the topic.

It's just real. Kids can recall details of strangers lives.

It makes you wonder if there's some soul nexus that's just like accidentally imprinted on them in the womb or somesuch poo poo

https://shop.harvard.com/book/9781910121924
"I saw a light and came here"

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 7, 2024

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Comstar posted:

My 3 year old played World of Warcraft. He got kills on enemy battleships in Eve Online by pressing F1.

Who was OP reincarnated from?

the first time of the two times I took mushrooms, I saw
my older brother who died of sids explode out of my stomach and shoot into the galaxy?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

That’s right

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Klyith posted:

why are you specifically linking the harvard bookstore, which is just a regular-rear end book store, when these books have zero association with harvard?

first google result for the title mr sleuth

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mistle posted:

Just :lol: that all those goody-goody nerds who reached Nirvana will never be able to reincarnate into a fantasy world and have a harem with girls representing half the fictional animal kingdom

It's funny that instead of a great wheel of karma where you come back as a cockroach for being bad you just end up as some other person, if it is real

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Pac and Cheese posted:

i had a bad trip once where i was obsessing over the cycle of samsara and the yuga cycle and the everett many worlds theory and thought that possibilities would contract and expand over the course of 1000 years or so and i was stuck in this condensed part of reality where i had no free will and couldn't do anything about it. diagram attached, the arrow is where i was

something I said to my friend on aol instant messenger during the tail end of my first of two ever mushroom trips (verbatim spelling and all)
“ahaha you can dye 1000 times
and live a million times
theyre both stupid
be an elf (i had communicated with these elf things and adopted their dialect)
snarf a garble! “

(in the trip i had started with a really brutal stomach ache as the mushrooms were a bit cobweb moldly, and had done endless ego death as i writhed with intense pain, traveling through the galaxy each time, being reborn and dying again. it makes me wonder if kids catch ambient waves of consciousness[if there is such a thing] and get imprinted. But who the hell knows )

…………….
i think a lot of good points are being made. i appreciate you all sharing your thoughts.

my rebuttal to the people saying kids are just lying is in those books I linked. some kids are able to relay specific details of random dead strangers with no connection to their families. and it happens a lot.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 8, 2024

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah kids are information sponges, it's crazy what they'll regurgitate at the most unexpected time. Especially if it gets a reaction.

Your references are a dead academic who based everything on anecdotal reports and 2 dudes who worked for him.

People be videotaping their kids doing this in the present day without knowing about this dead mon. It's just going on whether we like it or not.

I get that kids say random poo poo, the viral one of today was a little Mexican girl weeping because she isn't Chinese. But why say verifiable poo poo specifically details from dead strangers lives.

Lots of problems with some central supply of souls due to the ever increasing number of people. Which would imply some people get born without a soul or something? Doesn't make sense. Consciousness is a strange thing. Some people say it's fake. Some people disagree

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

syntaxfunction posted:

This was true, until the fire nation attacked.

Edit

Jerk :mad:

See there's yer problem. All yer foundations are shaky, never got installed right. Oh sure ya can fix em, but we're talking a whole rebuild. Gotta add some empirical evidence, some verified observations, just a lotta work. Not sure if it's worth it, ya know? Maybe if yer really sentimental, but hoo boy, probably better off getting a new one.

same soul same family thatll cost ya

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Bible posted:

Nuh uh because the parents SAID they didn't tell him and even though they were able to confirm the details about this person's life online they couldn't have had any way to know about it beforehand.

They're virtually all Christians too, so of course they can't be lying.

I haven’t seen any religious angle in any of the videos I’ve seen. parents seem more weirdly perplexed than anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

syntaxfunction posted:

You really are such the perfect audience for this stuff it's honestly loving adorable :allears:

Random strangers saying my kid is doing something weird and gaining no money from it sounds like a great scam. Rational redditor rear end