Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
All those three year olds are actually just wacky detectives looking for some dirt on some fella and/or gal. They hoodwinked you, hoodwinked you good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Nigmaetcetera posted:

someone was touching my penis. If that isn’t compelling evidence for the existence of an immortal soul, I don’t know what is.

:hmmyes:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Look, my kid said they were a guy called Nigel Wembleypen and I just don't think you could make that poo poo up.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's very obvious that in this life reincarnation with the fluctuation of the quantum daybreak waves and the parallel convergence of soul conjecturing that we have entered a precipitant conflux wherein you all should give me fifty bucks each.

This is because of probabilistic wave collapse, and also my bank account is the reincarnation of a Hedonistic Queen who is doing hydraulic jump factors so it is ideal for the collective health of the universe to deliver a synergistic conclusion to formulate resolution of the issue, which, again, is the lack of giving me fifty bucks each.

Namaste my fellow JO energy collectors, namaste.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The Bible posted:

rear end in a top hat.

You're laughing, he manifested a post and you're laughing!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My rebuttal to your rebuttal is those books are dumb and bad actually. How you coming back from that one, OP, huh?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

"I'm an avatar," Dusk said. "I can recognize the four elements of earth, wind, water and fire. The next avatar won't come for 100 years."

This was true, until the fire nation attacked.

Edit

Fruits of the sea posted:

That's pretty impressive recall, almost word for word the intro from The Last Airbender
Jerk :mad:

Dejan Bimble posted:

Lots of problems with some central supply of souls due to the ever increasing number of people.

See there's yer problem. All yer foundations are shaky, never got installed right. Oh sure ya can fix em, but we're talking a whole rebuild. Gotta add some empirical evidence, some verified observations, just a lotta work. Not sure if it's worth it, ya know? Maybe if yer really sentimental, but hoo boy, probably better off getting a new one.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

I haven’t seen any religious angle in any of the videos I’ve seen. parents seem more weirdly perplexed than anything

You really are such the perfect audience for this stuff it's honestly loving adorable :allears:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Random strangers saying my kid is doing something weird and gaining no money from it sounds like a great scam. Rational redditor rear end

I'll have you know I'm neither a redditor nor rational.

You can tell because I believe in spooky ghosts, vampire that go BLEH and reincarnated Indigo children that somehow forget the whole gig the moment they get old enough to think for themselves.

HIT LIKE EVEFRY TIME YOU KNOW ITS TRUE.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Pontificating rear end posted:

I used moderative language like "probably" and "I think" to reduce the likelihood of receiving largely inane replies to specific wordage, but here we are. The reason I invoked the trigger-word "quantum" is because people are familiar with the so-called 'quantum waveform collapse' so I figured it would make it more relatable, and it has indeed, such that you've attached the wrong implications.

My LEARNED ASSERTION is consciousness does not use quantum magic, rather events occur from a wave of probability collapsing to a singular event. If consciousness makes a choice that causes an event to occur, then the CHOICE has informed this action, and that causes the singular event to be cemented in history FROM what is otherwise only probability.

This is a lot of words to say "I never took a science class but sure like the fancy words" lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Citing physics to prove the existence of a soul or reincarnation or mindreading is like citing gastronomy to prove that dragons are real.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The Bible posted:

If the soul were real though there would be no reason it couldn't be proven to exist.
It's not really proving it tho, it's more going "ah see King Arthur definitively killed a dragon because the maillard reaction is real".

The Bible posted:

Now I'm waiting for someone to post actual reptiles that are eaten.
One eyed snake eyy gotem

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's always kind of telling this sort of magic thought logic is pretty much always Christian-centric, with a splash of vague "orientalism" to make it seem more palatable.

Either that or the Hindus are right and we just keep ignoring all the times kids say "I was a bug!"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, I actually do enjoy meditation as a grounding, processing and relaxation exercise, but pretending it delivers the answers of the universe is no more wishful thinking than obliging yourself every Sunday to kneel will allow you to channel a version of the Abrahamic God.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think I've ever heard anyone address the whole issue of "we all have souls from past lives" but also there's significantly more people on this planet than originally. So like, did we have a stockpile of souls and like, some got picked first and they've just been in circulation and the rest were printed later? Or do some people just not get souls? Or everyone gets new souls, hot off the press, but these three year olds get used hand-me-downs? Or were souls an invention like halfway through humanity's existence?

I need an answer that is consistent both internally and externally and everyone agrees on.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

redshirt posted:

Quantum mechanics is anything but deterministic.

I've seen the sentiment popping up randomly a lot lately that people have decided that everything is predetermined and point to the fact that we can "calculate the reactions of everything at a quantum level" to predict everything and therefore everything will play out a certain way.

Funnily enough, that is kind of exactly *not* how quantum mechanics work. It's very much "ah but we can do a math so we can just do a lot of math" to try and, idunno, cancel out how chaotic everything is.

Quantum predeterminism does seem a very techbro faith.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Powerful Katrinka posted:

A bunch of animals get souls, too. There's plenty to go around.

Please list all of the ones that do :kimchi:

Devils Affricate posted:

Would being a cockroach even be all that bad? We speak of them disparagingly because they suck for us, but the cockroaches themselves seem to be having a blast most of the time.

I've never known a cockroach to have a midlife crisis and blow their savings on a lovely sports car they crash immediately. Who's the real animal?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Anyway I still find it interesting 6 pages later itt that people do so much mental gymnastics to try and explain away reincarnation

From the quantum reincarnation poster lmao this thread is amazing.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm gonna reincarnate some ingredients into some food soon. Then eat them.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
People who believe in reincarnation don't have souls, it's true, I read it in a book.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Hammerite posted:

how fast does a soul move when it needs to get to another body? can it move faster than light

Souls use quantum tunneling obviously.

Also this thread makes a lot more sense when I remember I, too, enjoy getting high and watching Ancient Aliens sometimes.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kids under 3 cant even process the words into concepts, they're not retaining every word ever heard and then repeating it later after they've learned to speak. I'm sure you could find a thousand stories about kids that age talking about things they have had absolutely no exposure to.

I've seen a lot of stories about Slenderman but that don't make him real lmao

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
There's some non-linear metadimensional being out there coming across this poo poo and going "drat, how the gently caress did you get this poo poo so wrong? Everyone knows souls are mined in the quasi-dimensional soul mines"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If souls are made of matter and they inhabit a body wouldn't that show up on scans and stuff? Or is it quantum matter where when you observe it then it isn't matter. Because quantum.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What's a buster is that some old timey slang or something

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Ever notice no one is ever the reincarnation of like just the worst people? Like no one is ever "oh yeah I'm a serial sex pest who died during auto erotic asphyxiation in my gooning cave while kicking puppies".

Those are bad souls, so they don't get reincarnated is the cop out answer is guess, which is both lame *and* dumb as an answer.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
No one does or is reincarnated, we move on to the next dimension where we're all butts. If you don't agree it's probably because you're just prefer a nihilistic oversimplification, versus a thing I can't proof.

The onus of proof is on the people who doubt me. Sure, you have evidence that nothing happens after you die by citing all the people that died and then nothing happened, but what evidence do you have to disprove my butt-person theory? None, that's right. Making butt-people really a valid logical option. Checkmate, atheists.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a message from the other side!
"Faaaaaaaaaaart"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You don't get to say people can believe whatever they want while also calling a belief you don't like a "nihilistic oversimplification" it's like saying "all flavours of icecream are good, but chocolate is for people who don't know what flavour is" lmao

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Ah yes, the "built different" hypothesis, very solid, very good.

PS no one else is saying believe what you want while condemning it they're just saying you're dumb lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't understand how people don't get how "burden of proof" works after all this time goddamn.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Coming from the "what if you reincarnated as a butt lol" guy

Oh my god this is adorable :allears:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You know the wild thing is someone choosing to believe in heaven, or an afterlife, or reincarnation is really quite milquetoast and inoffensive. It only gets weird and a lil culty when people insist that they've figured it out and everyone else is dumb/naive/ignorant/a malcontent/etc.

"Everything is vague and unknowable except the things I personally believe" is a brave and courageous statement and people are heroes for saying it ngl

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You just gotta get a one-up, everyone knows this.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Reincarnation is very immortal-phobic. Immortals are absolutely a thing that exist, and you can just google and see how many people believe it to be true.

So really we need to collectively cancel reincarnation.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I'm totally over this thread, but ultimately my biggest point would be the universe is 13.7 years old, to our best knowledge, and you will live less than 100 years of it. Most of this time is spent by stars exploding, like snuffed flames, and the higher elements they create spread out, only to enstar before exploding again, release even higher elements to create the building blocks of life. If you completely cease to exist when you die you would be dead right now.

Woah, I didn't realise your biggest point was no point at all lmfao

"We can't just die, the universe is really old" is a bold stance like, "I can't be broke, my employer has been in business for 100 years!"

But you're right, it's everyone else that is trying to feel special lmao

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
They call em fingers but you ever see them fing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Some interpretations of reincarnation also attribute wealth to whether you're a good person or not. Born into money? You were amazing last life. Born into poverty? Probably a piece of poo poo.

This is a very normal and sensible thing of course, and not at all designed with ulterior motives.