Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Grey Cat posted:

Right I don't mean it makes you into two people, but more the fact it breaks down what we understand as being ourselves. It's pretty much all just a hosed up illusion to make our brain activity make sense.

It’s a pretty surreal and terrifying subject. It also got me thinking that consciousness, to whatever degree it exists, is basically trying to survive and perpetuate/procreate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Bible posted:

Seriously though, kids latch on to anything that gets a reaction. When one of my cousins was 3, he heard this old Budweiser commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ksf3Oe8cU

and his dad laughed.

3 hours later and he's loving shrieking "Doobie Doobie Doo" at the top of his lungs. Kids don't know when to let a bit go when it once got them some attention.

Yeah kids are information sponges, it's crazy what they'll regurgitate at the most unexpected time. Especially if it gets a reaction.

Dejan Bimble posted:

my rebuttal to the people saying kids are just lying is in those books I linked. some kids are able to relay specific details of random dead strangers with no connection to their families. and it happens a lot.

Your references are a dead academic who based everything on anecdotal reports and 2 dudes who worked for him.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That's pretty impressive recall, almost word for word the intro from The Last Airbender

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

For reals though, epigenetics is a super interesting field and there’s evidence that suggests that some memories* can be transmitted on to younger generations. Depending on your definition of self, reincarnation might be a thing anyways! Although I’ll admit it’s a pretty boring, half-assed reincarnation compared to the pop culture version.

*trauma and learned fear responses as tested on rats. I guess they had trouble memorizing Avatar so the researchers settled for scaring the poo poo out of them

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Bible posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake...

That isn't epigenetics!

Well it is, but also it's really goddamn hard to make it sound appealing to conspiracy minded folks.

Like a better attempt (and probably still inaccurate and definitely vague because I'm not a biologist) is that epigenetics is the study of changes to the chromosome that don't alter the DNA sequence, which in some rare cases are transgenerational. Fear responses cause some neat stuff to happen to genes associated with memory, and their mRNA