Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The universe is completely deterministic and your current thoughts/beliefs you might think you came to through introspection and discovery were always meant to be there.

TBLALV posted:

Can someone tell me why I got reincarnated into a depressed anxious wreck

I would like to speak with the world manager please this is bullshit

You were probably Hitler in your past life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

redshirt posted:

Quantum mechanics is anything but deterministic.

You were always meant to think that :grin:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Hammerite posted:

souls are an energy field permeating the universe, like the force or some poo poo. in 200 years some physicist is gonna receive the nobel prize for finding the soul boson or w/e

Nah souls are produced by tiny symbiotic microorganisms in our blood. Now this is metaphysics

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Hammerite posted:

how do the microorganisms do that? isn't this a homunculus argument

Idk ask the jedi council

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Cats, dolphins, primates, dogs, whales, some sharks and goats (it's on an individual basis and not by species)

That's a common misconception, dogs and cats categorically do not have souls. Tarantulas, surprisingly yes.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Cats and dogs have souls, sorry. You are partially correct that tarantulas have souls: most of them have souls.

Nah I'm sorry, I made inquiries.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Itt computer touchers arguing that souls are just memory addresses in gods epic gamer tower

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Are you responsible for crimes you did 1 or more reincarnation cycles ago? Cause I'm getting bad vibes from this cash guy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Buddha should have been building a spaceship

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's how you build an interesting character though, you could have been a barefoot and illiterate peasant under Vlad the Impaler, or in Carthage.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

No such thing as bad publicity

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

We're already part-butt in this dimension, so clearly we've been made in the Maker's image.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Only for those who didn't reach posting nirvana

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The real fantasy is believing in a consistent self tbh

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Every time I go to sleep or get put under I am immediately transported to God and we hang out and chat. She is pretty cool actually.

Anyhow if this doesn't happen to you and you just wake up after several missing hours, you just might be a soulless automaton, sorry!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

You have to unlock aliens by being a faithful Mormon during at least one of your reincarnation stages

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

My people tell the story of flavor town, where wll flavours may go after they depart our imperfect bland world.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Save some fedoras for the rest of us here, please!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

StrangersInTheNight posted:

All the arguments for why souls exist generally come down to 'Im scared of the concept that I could stop existing'

And that's the tragedy of being human - that the soul and the body aren't separate things but interconnected. You grow a soul in your body as your body lives, and if you live old enough, that's when you start actually making a really beautiful, well-rounded soul. But the body is fragile and the tragedy of human existence is that right as your soul is finally starting to become a piece of art is when you get snuffed out of existence, and the soul which took a lifetime to cultivate is wiped away like shaking an etch-a-sketch.

You are an ephemeral thing for you to have right here and now. Your life project is building your soul, and the project ends when your life does. But that's ok. We are like flowers blooming in our own seasons. And eventually our season ends.

If souls are flowers what are the bees

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

How do you think wifi works, smart guy? It's ghosts carrying scrolls

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Pontificating rear end posted:

I'm totally over this thread, but ultimately my biggest point would be the universe is 13.7 years old, to our best knowledge, and you will live less than 100 years of it. Most of this time is spent by stars exploding, like snuffed flames, and the higher elements they create spread out, only to enstar before exploding again, release even higher elements to create the building blocks of life. If you completely cease to exist when you die you would be dead right now. Honestly I think you're just trying to make yourselves feel better by thinking your life is so unique and important, and nonperiodic in our cyclical universe :)

Were you there, smart guy?

The universe stops when I don't wake up.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Rubber Chicken posted:

On the contrary, everything you aren't looking at is densely packed Hitlers.

Everyone who dies is reincarnated into a Hitler that stays just outside your field of view

I think I've seen that Dr. Who episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

You should just be able to buy yourself karma credits. An indulgence if you will