Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone address the whole issue of "we all have souls from past lives" but also there's significantly more people on this planet than originally. So like, did we have a stockpile of souls and like, some got picked first and they've just been in circulation and the rest were printed later? Or do some people just not get souls? Or everyone gets new souls, hot off the press, but these three year olds get used hand-me-downs? Or were souls an invention like halfway through humanity's existence?

I need an answer that is consistent both internally and externally and everyone agrees on.

A bunch of animals get souls, too. There's plenty to go around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

syntaxfunction posted:

Please list all of the ones that do :kimchi:

Cats, dolphins, primates, dogs, whales, some sharks and goats (it's on an individual basis and not by species)

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

redshirt posted:

Name one shark with a soul. I'll wait.

Morris Kane, nurse shark, 12 years old, swims around the Brazilian coast mostly. Good guy, a little temperamental with people so he mostly avoids the tourist hangouts. He gets pretty chatty when he gets a little caffeine in him, it's actually kinda funny

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's a common misconception, dogs and cats categorically do not have souls. Tarantulas, surprisingly yes.

Cats and dogs have souls, sorry. You are partially correct that tarantulas have souls: most of them have souls.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nah I'm sorry, I made inquiries.

Those were liars trying to spread their falsehoods, and they have deceived you into doing their evil work. Kitty cats and doggies have souls.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

happyhippy posted:

Collective delusions.

Same with past life hypnosis.
Everyone was either a famous person, or directly involved with a famous historical person. And also from recorded history.
You never got any saying they were a poor as poo poo dirt farmer who lived and died in the same 10 miles of barren as poo poo land in the middle of nowhere.
And no one has ever said they were from 20000BC or can tell us any historical information lost and not known until now, like their written or oral language.
Funny no one went 'Ah great, can you translate these hieroglyphics we lost how to read them' to fuckwits saying they were once Cleopatra's slaves.

I actually did a past-life meditation class, and I was a barefoot and illiterate peasant who lived in a windowless hut. But I'm also the kind of person who would as a raggedy serf at a Ren fair, so :shrug:

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

The Bible posted:

I read this as "they get reincarnated as cops" at first.

Some people believe that animals get souls as practice before being reincarnated as a human, so that's possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Pontificating rear end posted:

In this case the nihilistic oversimplification is literally nothing. Literally nothing happens when you die.

How is that a "nihilistic oversimplification?"