Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Leaving aside any kind of supernatural stuff, I do think it's illustrative of the fact that in some ways, our brains are wired to be more of like a nexus of behavioral energies, rather than being a fixed individual person.

So we have an ability to fit in with a group, and then maybe later in the same day a totally different group, because we can embody all of these different modes and valences of personhood. IMO it makes total sense why people would interpret this as being previous lives, as a lot of ourselves aren't fully integrated into our sense of self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Minotaurus Rex posted:

high school level quasi-philosophical verbal white noise
don't sign your posts

But seriously it sucks that you had bad experiences with Theravadins/vipassana. IMO there's very few people who have their heart fully set on the right stuff in any tradition, and certain things like institutional culture can make that extremely dangerous. Meditation can also really gently caress you up, and is just a tool among other tools to have a less stressful life and a greater capacity to care for others.

Also actually getting some serious work done in meditation can make you temporarily (or permanently) a worse person, because you don't have insight into the new poo poo you have to pay attention to. And Theravada in particular is prone to painting certain milestones as rare, saintly, etc. when in reality people are still capable hurting the poo poo out of people.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Minotaurus Rex posted:

While I agree with the criticisms you made I would go further to say the whole things a scam in the same way, say, Catholicism is a scam and that there is no such thing as enlightenment any more than there was a omniscient godman (the Buddha) walking around 2500 years ago. Or rather a being that even the ‘gods’ and ‘celestial beings’ deferred to, so a super-god person. I think the benefits of mindfulness meditation are vastly overstated and mainly placebo/confirmation bias due to time invested doing it.

If it didn’t allow people to grant themselves an air of smug mystic superiority and come with a load of tedious thought-terminating spiritual slogans to dispense ad nauseam no one would bother. It’s all just a bullshit social game. I agree peoples minds can snap from all the psychological and emotional abuse entailed within the vipassana movement and that this is often framed as a ‘milestone’
It is very much not ime. there was some stuff physically locked up in me that would have taken years and years to hit on in therapy, and even then potentially no path forward to unwinding it. Gone. like vomiting something up, or being violently forced to drop something.

And it's true that there are things that you can't unsee about oneself and others once you see them. Sometimes people hit on that stuff in the course of their life with no religious context whatsoever though, and certain Buddhisms thinking that they have an absolute monopoly on like, being a human being is laughable.

But it is certainly not for everyone. And for potentially years you can be far worse off than when you started, in terms of being a functional person.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

I meant more like how deeply people can hurt. or how arrogance is a deep fundamental defense mechanism that I struggle with often, as displayed by some of my posting. i kinda dug a hole for myself with this derail tbh.

and I meant certainly not for everyone as in there are many things to do that are a positive thing. like volunteering. but some people are unhealthy in a certain way, and meditation etc can help, just like some people can benefit from structured therapy.

nice obelisk idiot fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 9, 2024

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

tetSUOOO posted:

is this the dissociative personality disorder megathread, cuz i got some banger ketamine trips to share with yall
I mean yeah kinda. I think that when people sometimes say that they recall a past life, it's a genuine part of their personality (especially emotionally) that's externalized from their normal ego states. Rather than say that they were literally Napoleon. Like they might have just associated Napoleon with say the strategic and Machiavellian parts of themselves, or being powerful, proud, or vengeful. And the concept of Napoleon is like a nexus of those feelings and modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Feel the wind burn through my skin
The pain, the air is killing me
For years my limbs stretched to the sky
A nest for birds to sit and sing

But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago
An anecdote about that song: it was so depressing that none of the beach boys wanted to sing it for the album, and brian was probably indisposed with an episode or drug binge. so they had their manager do it