Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Senor Tron posted:

That which can be created can be destroyed.

I don't think trillions of consciousnesses (only billions if you don't count non-human ones, also only accounting for life on Earth) have been around since the instant of the big bang, so makes sense that consciousness has to be created.

Consciousness would exist independent of this universe, which itself is probably one of relatively infinite universes. Also, if you look at the universe as a whole, from start to finish, the number of souls does not change, it's a finite number. A finite number which is presumably less than the actual number of unassociated souls (also some number approaching infinity).

Reincarnation seems to obvious to me- I'm surprised the idea is consistently scoffed at. Yes, you have lived before, and you will live again, and again. Organized religion is literally the reason we believe otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Senor Tron posted:

Why obvious? At what moment does a soul enter a body and how would it look or act differently if it didn't have a soul?

Any terms we use to try to suss out the mechanics of consciousness will never work, because we'll just end up in the weeds. Best we can do is some sort of philosophical Occam's razor, which imho is that consciousness is in inherent in life; yes, every living thing has some form of a "soul." I'd go so far to say consciousness is inherent to the universe (or a greater metaphysical multiverse), and furthermore if a universe does not include consciousness it essentially never exists at all.

On a somewhat technical level: I think free-will is inherent to consciousness, so when you make a choice information is enforced onto a certain point in time (consciousness causing a probabilistic wave collapse, quantum or otherwise), which demarcates a point in time. Therefore a universe with no consciousness has nothing to demarcate time, and is nothing more than a failed singularity.

-Pontificating rear end

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 8, 2024

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Bible posted:

You use the word "probably".

What probabilities are you basing this on? Why is it more likely there is more than one universe? What do you even have to base that on? How can you be so sure consciousness exists independently of the universe? Have you tested a consciousness both inside and outside of a universe? Have one sitting in a jar somewhere?

Mind you, I'm not saying you're wrong, just asking why you're so sure that you're right.

Ah, nevermind then.

So what New Age self-help book did you get all this from?

I used moderative language like "probably" and "I think" to reduce the likelihood of receiving largely inane replies to specific wordage, but here we are. The reason I invoked the trigger-word "quantum" is because people are familiar with the so-called 'quantum waveform collapse' so I figured it would make it more relatable, and it has indeed, such that you've attached the wrong implications.

My LEARNED ASSERTION is consciousness does not use quantum magic, rather events occur from a wave of probability collapsing to a singular event. If consciousness makes a choice that causes an event to occur, then the CHOICE has informed this action, and that causes the singular event to be cemented in history FROM what is otherwise only probability.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Sorry but it's all sound logic and the wording is concise. It doesnt hurt the thread :justpost:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Bible posted:

It's gibberish but yeah it's funny and makes the thread funnier so we can at least agree on that.

Ultimately I try to consider if I am derailing or making GBS threads up the thread before I post this crap, it's ok if people dont agree

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Also I think when you reincarnate you get to pick your spawn point but you can only spawn places you've been before like a checkpoint system

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone address the whole issue of "we all have souls from past lives" but also there's significantly more people on this planet than originally. So like, did we have a stockpile of souls and like, some got picked first and they've just been in circulation and the rest were printed later? Or do some people just not get souls? Or everyone gets new souls, hot off the press, but these three year olds get used hand-me-downs? Or were souls an invention like halfway through humanity's existence?

I need an answer that is consistent both internally and externally and everyone agrees on.

IF you are using this logic, the universe ultimately is a finite timeline from start to finish!! there is certain a number of souls in the timeline you foolS!! they are not created nor destroyed!I!

Anyway I still find it interesting 6 pages later itt that people do so much mental gymnastics to try and explain away reincarnation. Billions of years and an entire unknown existence beyond this universe, and you think you just happened to spawn at this current time by complete happenstance, and you will soon die and never exist again. just lmao lol etc

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Smoke a drug until you consider the quantum mechanics of the soul, then watch Enter the Void for a literal simulation of what happens when you die
you fools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxhmXWuUsJE

spoilers there's a sex hotel before you reincarnate

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

syntaxfunction posted:

From the quantum reincarnation poster lmao this thread is amazing.

Dawg you are literally talking about the mechanics of quantizing the soul (into exactly one [1pc] unit) and the specifics of when it enters the body, leaves it, and whether it can be created or destroyed as if it follows thermodynamic laws of matter.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

MrQwerty posted:

yeah this thread is on the level of the Nibiru is COMING! group I read on Facebook as far as bang for your entertainment buck

I hope you all know I will be taking this as POSITIVE feedback

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

redshirt posted:

Y'all forgetting all the aliens out there. They have souls too and get mixed into the pot.

You may have been XHOSAR the CALAGSTONIAN in another life bro.

Now THIS guy gets it

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

kids also have super good memories until they are about 3 when your memory starts to change over to normal human style. like every kid has an eidetic memory (in the way that it actually exists) up until basically theyre able to talk, so suddenly a 3 year old starts talking and theyre full of info about your dead nan that you forgot you said around them

Kids under 3 cant even process the words into concepts, they're not retaining every word ever heard and then repeating it later after they've learned to speak. I'm sure you could find a thousand stories about kids that age talking about things they have had absolutely no exposure to.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

it would be really stupid if we reincarnated and kept our memories for a little bit but then forgot them. like they survive death and rebirth, somehow work in a completely different, unfinished brain architecture, and THEN you forget them so your brain can make room for uhhh the names of all the pokemon

i mean like evolutionary pressure would select for people who had adult memories longer as a baby, as it would let you shortcut a lot of tiresome learning

It would be easy to imagine a soul having some sort of "memory." Maybe it's more of an emotional memory, so if you found yourself in a different brain you could still conjure "memories" based on feelings (for lack of a better term) that are interpreted by the new brain a certain way.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

it would make more sense to me if there was just one soul beaming out of infinity and each human body decodes the signal a different way, and you accidentally tune into other people's facets of the big soul while the receiver in your brain is still learning to filter out the rest.

reincarnation just doesnt have anything analogous to it anywhere in nature, as it seems to involve both time travel and arbitrary information redistribution without causal linkage

We're basically in agreement except for some semantics. Suppose soul matter is bound by the speed of light, so you could explain away information being in an etheric dimension we havent detected yet.
Ultimately I dont believe the details are that important because we all know that we don't know, in the first place.

What I DO know is I will reincarnate as a cool alien at some point, with a cool spaceship. Basically a Mass Effect side character with an otherworldly charm and confusing sex appeal.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Bible posted:

Why assume souls are composed of matter?

I was adding to his conjecture, I actually would not tend to think they are made of matter, nor quantum. There's plenty we dont know obviously; so a personally spiritual answer is probably better than trying to figure out the mechanics of it.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Bible posted:

Not really. There's no difference between this and outright fantasy.

Believing in a spiritual soul is a fantasy? You really think a person dies forever and there is nothingness for all infinity (even though there is actually provably somethingness for all infinity)? Call me the quantum soul guy, but I'm guessing what you believe is a nihilistic oversimplification mostly influenced by conventional physics?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Bible posted:

It certainly doesn't make the Woo you are spouting any more likely to be true. Do you really not see that you're just completely making poo poo up with absolutely no verifiable details at all?

I didnt make anything up, you expect me to provide evidence of the soul with cited sources on the somethingawful forums, seriously bros? My entire argument literally fell back to "this is all unprovable so believe whatever you want." You guys know nothing more than I do, and the "evidence" everyone ignores is a pervasive infinite somethingness. Even the emptiest vacuums of space are filled with something.

I'm not telling myself this to feel better; this life is trash and dying forever and all infinity would honestly be an eye-rollingly expected conclusion after spending an entire life slapping around in the mud with a bunch of tiny-brained know-it-all cosmic horrors on garbage planet.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

syntaxfunction posted:

You don't get to say people can believe whatever they want while also calling a belief you don't like a "nihilistic oversimplification" it's like saying "all flavours of icecream are good, but chocolate is for people who don't know what flavour is" lmao

In this case the nihilistic oversimplification is literally nothing. Literally nothing happens when you die. On the other hand, "believing whatever you want" is what everyone in this thread is doing, while condemning it.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

syntaxfunction posted:

Ah yes, the "built different" hypothesis, very solid, very good.

PS no one else is saying believe what you want while condemning it they're just saying you're dumb lol

Coming from the "what if you reincarnated as a butt lol" guy

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Bible posted:

"Prove the soul DOESN'T exist", got it.

You're just putting words in my mouth, I only said it was unprovable, which it is, objectively. You have exactly as much evidence one way as I do the other

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Bible posted:

That doesn't make our positions equal, though. You are not as likely to be correct as I am. The burden of proof is on you.

Y'all talk about "burden of proof" like Im prosecuting someone in court, it doesn't even apply. There is 0 evidence you dissipate into nothingness when you die, however reincarnation simply implies you live again-- it's NOT the same as "you turn into a butt" which is provably insane. Studies like this are more evidence than you guys have (none):

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26299061/
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ly-just-cynics/

Meaning I'm not making this up out of nothing, it's a culturally significant and fairly simple concept that millions or billions of people have believed (however not a single conscious individual has ever believed you will turn into a butt).
Now that I have more evidence than your side, the burden of proof is on you because we get to use that term however we want.

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 25, 2024

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Nothing to worry about because we'll all be dead soon forever and all time. I am enlightened,

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I'm totally over this thread, but ultimately my biggest point would be the universe is 13.7 years old, to our best knowledge, and you will live less than 100 years of it. Most of this time is spent by stars exploding, like snuffed flames, and the higher elements they create spread out, only to enstar before exploding again, release even higher elements to create the building blocks of life. If you completely cease to exist when you die you would be dead right now. Honestly I think you're just trying to make yourselves feel better by thinking your life is so unique and important, and nonperiodic in our cyclical universe :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

We'll settle the issue with song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRXc_-c_9Xc&t=164s