Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

That's where groove is. No, it has to be somewhere else.

The soul is part of the foot, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

someone who doesn't think kids can lie posted:

Conrad lingered in the sanctuary to ask questions. Then he went to find his boys, who had grown bored and left to play in the halls. He found them near the vending machines drinking Coke and talking to a stocky man Conrad didn't know. The man introduced himself and said he taught meditation at the church. "I work with indigos," he said, handing Conrad a business card. "Are you an indigo?" he asked Dusk. The boy looked at him shyly and nodded. "I'm an avatar," Dusk said. "I can recognize the four elements of earth, wind, water and fire. The next avatar won't come for 100 years."

The man seemed impressed. He crouched down in front of Dusk. "What am I thinking right now?" he asked. Dusk shrugged. "That's OK," he said, placing his hand on the boy's shoulder. "Maybe we can try some other time when not so many people are around."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

People be videotaping their kids doing this in the present day without knowing about this dead mon. It's just going on whether we like it or not.

I get that kids say random poo poo, the viral one of today was a little Mexican girl weeping because she isn't Chinese. But why say verifiable poo poo specifically details from dead strangers lives.

:lol: when you find a kid who was raised in complete isolation start talking about who they were in a previous life including social security number, birth date, and last three known addresses get back to me.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 8, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

That's pretty impressive recall, almost word for word the intro from The Last Airbender

It's from a rather long article about the study of indigo children and dumb parents who would rather believe their child is magic instead of needing more attention or medication or whatever rational solution exists to solve their behavioural issues.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/little-boy-blue-6379409

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Grey Cat posted:

I'm not sure but it's definitely an overlapping circle of people believing stories of people being "medically dead", especially children, who say for the couple minutes they were "dead" that they saw heaven or hell.

There's also an overlapping circle of people who have experienced a supernatural phenomenon and people who believed in it beforehand.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Science being unable to explain something is not the center square in bingo. You don't get to just put whatever you want in there.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

"No it's cool, I can say it because I was black in a previous life."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

I read a short story once about a person who had just died and woke up in the afterlife, and there's this warm, smiling god figure there that explains to them that they are basically the only soul on earth. They are slowly reincarnating their way through each and every life on earth, jumping around through time, and once they have the life experiences of every person who has ever lived, they will be a god like figure as well, and then wishes them well as they go off to begin the next life. It was a pretty cool little story and I sometimes wish I could find it again.

The Egg, it's short so it gets posted in it's entirety a lot.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I always thought a neat plot device for some horror movie or thriller or whatever would be the discovery that there were only ever a few souls to go around that would have to be divided up for the living, and as the human population grew and grew, the integrity of these souls was stretched thinner and thinner to accommodate for every current living human, and it causes a violent descent into some sort of societal decay or hell on earth situation.

But that doesn't really stack up to the fact that people used to burn people alive in front of a town's population for minor poo poo, or that racism was so very, very worse the farther back you go. We got problems, absolutely but the past is always more brutal.

There's a setting for the TTRPG All Flesh Must Be Eaten that involves the gods going to war and neglecting the reincarnation process, so now souls end up in dead bodies and the result is zombies.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

OMFG FURRY posted:

why is the pug getting sluttier

It's getting harder to tell smugpen and cilhandworth apart

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I always thought if they made a sequel it should be called The Other One.

I thought it up as a dumb joke but now that I think about it, the plot could be the formation of universe 126, so now there's another Law out there. And because he's had his powers his whole life, due to coming into existence after You Law started redistributing power, he's way more used to them than Gabriel, so Gabe has to go get Yu Law out of prison to beat this guy and save the day.

Jason Statham also collects a paycheque.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Minotaurus Rex posted:

https://www.psypost.org/the-psychology-of-pseudo-profound-bullshit-insights-from-8-studies/

They got some good studies on pseudo-profound bullshit.. "statements that sound deep and meaningful but are actually empty of content"

The ads it showed me in the article are for some pseudoscience about how to find your "weight loss block* and astrology considerations for marriage.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Me who prefers dark mode: :ohdear:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The Bible posted:

The ones that are even more confusing are the ones that are like "He's the reincarnation of my dad" when the dad was alive when the kid was born.

I'm sure you could shoehorn some quantum superpositioning argument into it, though.

Also perplexing when they are some flavor of Christian. I hear a lot about funerals where a butterfly gets in the building or something and yup, that's definitely grandma, saying goodbye to us. Also she's in Heaven.

And then I guess grandma either gets stuck in the building, dies, and dries up a couple days later or gets eaten by a bird or whatever.

Ironic she would die the same way twice in a row

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Did lowtax get reincarnated

Yeah he's either Aaron Carter, James Van der Beak, or Seth Meyers kid.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Your dad reincarnated as me.

I'm disappointed.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

juggalo baby coffin posted:

my cousin was allegedly a reincarnation bc initially he walked w a limp that my great grandfather only picked up from time in a POW camp in ww2. but like, logically it seems more likely they shared biomechanics and that limp resulted from the muscles not being strong enough (ie from a baby just learning to walk and not having built up the strength yet, and muscle atrophy from malnutrition)

There's evidence that even random quirks and habits have a genetic component.

But say that's wrong and it's all because you're a reincarnated relative. What's the take away? We try to push kids into stuff their previous lives enjoyed? We make them the sole inheritor of their estate.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

McGavin posted:

Imagine isekaiing into this world. :negative:

Conan the Barbarian did it in Marvel comics and quickly became a criminal and got involved in organized crime.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

How does the cockroach live a good life to come back as something better? What noble acts of benevolence can a cockroach do?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Do you think humans are the last step before Nirvana or do we get to be dolphins or orcas before that? They seem to know how to have fun.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

You'll get there some day, buddy

:boom:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

I've never known a cockroach to have a midlife crisis and blow their savings on a lovely sports car they crash immediately. Who's the real animal?

I don't see them screwing each other over a percentage.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The rule of reincarnation is pay, pray, or slay: nobody reincarnates for free.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I can't wait to monetize it

What about we capture celebrity souls and sell them in pieces

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I bet you could find TEN thousand stories about Slender man being real

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Are there characteristics of a soul that changes based on the person? Like donevil people have black, dried-up souls?

Everyone should watch The Prophecy of you want to see the soul of a Colonel war criminal in the body of a little girl.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Pontificating rear end posted:

It would be easy to imagine a soul having some sort of "memory." Maybe it's more of an emotional memory, so if you found yourself in a different brain you could still conjure "memories" based on feelings (for lack of a better term) that are interpreted by the new brain a certain way.

It's easy to imagine a car that's powered by grapefruit juice if you don't know anything about cars.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

This butt theory makes sense because butts exist so how can people not become butts? It's solid logic.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

When you eat an orange, where does the flavour go?

It's nihilistic to think the flavour is just gone when the universe is infinite.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

BigBadSteve posted:

Literally hundreds of millions of people, probably billions in total, in India and a number of Asian countries (mainly) believe in reincarnation.

A belief being widespread only makes anecdotal evidence (you know, the only thing Stevenson ever used) less reliable.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

If only the university would fund my research into my "come back as a butt" theory we could start getting to the bottom of this.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

When we die, we die. Simple as.

I too embrace Dragoism

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I know it's a little early but are you guys gonna go to the universe's quinceañera?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

"I can't be broke, my employer has been in business for 100 years!"

Reminds me of these guys: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kong%C5%8D_Gumi

1400 years of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Ohhhhh, now I get it. Miscarriages happen when there's no available soul to reincarnate.