Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Honestly idk it makes no sense that consciousness exists to be destroyed so it stands to reason it probably has to go somewhere

That which can be created can be destroyed.

I don't think trillions of consciousnesses (only billions if you don't count non-human ones, also only accounting for life on Earth) have been around since the instant of the big bang, so makes sense that consciousness has to be created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pontificating rear end posted:

Consciousness would exist independent of this universe, which itself is probably one of relatively infinite universes. Also, if you look at the universe as a whole, from start to finish, the number of souls does not change, it's a finite number. A finite number which is presumably less than the actual number of unassociated souls (also some number approaching infinity).

Reincarnation seems to obvious to me- I'm surprised the idea is consistently scoffed at. Yes, you have lived before, and you will live again, and again. Organized religion is literally the reason we believe otherwise.

Why obvious? At what moment does a soul enter a body and how would it look or act differently if it didn't have a soul?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pontificating rear end posted:

Any terms we use to try to suss out the mechanics of consciousness will never work, because we'll just end up in the weeds. Best we can do is some sort of philosophical Occam's razor, which imho is that consciousness is in inherent in life; yes, every living thing has some form of a "soul." I'd go so far to say consciousness is inherent to the universe (or a greater metaphysical multiverse), and furthermore if a universe does not include consciousness it essentially never exists at all.

On a somewhat technical level: I think free-will is inherent to consciousness, so when you make a choice information is enforced onto a certain point in time (consciousness causing a probabilistic wave collapse, quantum or otherwise), which demarcates a point in time. Therefore a universe with no consciousness has nothing to demarcate time, and is nothing more than a failed singularity.

-Pontificating rear end

All the business about conscious causing wave collapse and the like aside, which just feels like trying to wrap religious concepts up in scientific jargon, I tend to agree with the line of thought that consciousness is in some way an intrinsic property of matter, in the same way mass, charge, and the like are. But at the base level it's so simple that it only becomes recognizable as consciousness as an emergent thing in a complex system like a mind.

That also means it's not really useful to think of the individual base units continuing as reincarnation or a soul or continuation of consciousness in any meaningful way. When a brain dies the exact same matter is there, the same base units of consciousness, but the organization and connection is lost such that it ceases to behave as one larger consciousness.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If someone is cryogenically frozen at the moment of death, does their soul stay stuck in that dead body or move on?

If it moves on, what happens if some far future technology manages to repair and resuscitate that person?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Bible posted:

I mean, we aren't going to spawn in a time/place that doesn't support life, so of course.

It's the Anthropic Principle.

We're not really explaining it away, either. To do that, it would need to be something that obviously exists. You can't disprove something that hasn't first been proven.

Clearly a random sewer rat in medieval Europe had an eternal soul, because what are the odds of that particular rat existing at that particular time and place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Bible posted:

I was trying to explain this to my 8 year-old the other day. Probability and Possibility are easily conflated. He was confused about how events with tiny chances of happening, such as a mother having triplets, seemingly happen fairly often.

That's a good example. I'm fond of car license plates as well. Every drive it is astronomically unlikely to have seen those particular license plates on other cars in the combination you did.