Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Greyhound, Amtrak or what have you.

Got any cool stories?

I've wanted to do this myself some day to see what it's like. My biggest question is, when taking the bus, how do you eat? Do they make planned stops at some sort of eatery, or are you expected to bring your own food/make do with whatever sad offerings exist near the bus stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
nope

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

here u go op:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8QGTaGwxxc

summary: it's rear end.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
better crawl on the ground than take a grey hound

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

drat, this is one hell of a channel. i'm gonna be watching alot of this man's videos, ty.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I took an airplane before (:

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Amtrak had a writer's residency back in 2014 where you could apply and they'd let you ride the train back and forth for free for a month. I regret never applying because it prevented me from writing my debut novel Free Train

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I took a night bus from Akita to Tokyo and it sucked.

My wife wanted to take the trans siberian rail road from Beijing to Moscow but then we watched Trans Siberian with Woody Harrelson and now she doesn't want to. Might still take the Cis Siberian someday.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

pencilhands posted:

drat, this is one hell of a channel. i'm gonna be watching alot of this man's videos, ty.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yep

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

My cousin's friend took a Greyhound bus from the eastern US to north-western Canada to visit his brother. A solid week on the bus each way. When he got back, he had the kind of dead-eye look normally reserved for people returning from combat and "didn't want to talk about it".

I only took a Greyhound bus a couple of times when I was in school, and it still turned what is normally a 3 hour drive into an 8 hour ordeal.

Basically:

bossy lady posted:

summary: it's rear end.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

house of the dad posted:

Amtrak had a writer's residency back in 2014 where you could apply and they'd let you ride the train back and forth for free for a month. I regret never applying because it prevented me from writing my debut novel Free Train

Hey Jack Kerouac, I think of your Mother

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

greyhound must have been designed, from the ground up, as a punishment. that's just all there is to it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
the suck bus

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Buce posted:

greyhound must have been designed, from the ground up, as a punishment. that's just all there is to it.

Samsara in a $69 ticket

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
there's been several/dozens of articles about train trips, they seem fine if you can eat the time investment.

im unaware of articles about long bus trips, there's probably a reason for that.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

oops, i misspelled country as county in the topic title. could a mod please fix it for me? tyia.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

used to take greyhound ~250 miles each way regularly when I was in a long-distance relationship the last couple years of undergrad

it loving sucked

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

pencilhands posted:

oops, i misspelled country as county in the topic title. could a mod please fix it for me? tyia.

no one noticed until you pointed it out!!!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

there's been several/dozens of articles about train trips, they seem fine if you can eat the time investment.

im unaware of articles about long bus trips, there's probably a reason for that.

Yeah, long low-speed rail trips are more about the trip itself than actually getting somewhere, especially when those tickets often cost as much, or even more, than just flying.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Longest I've done is Albuquerque to Grand Rapids. Nothing exciting happened on the train.

There were a ton of amish/mennonite people after we got to like St. Louis.

The train was delayed by so much I missed my transfer in Chicago even though it was like a 3 or 4 hour layover lmao. They put me on a shuttle to Grand Rapids and it was horrible. Like overcrowded airport shuttle, but for 4 hours.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

My brother took an Amtrak once. Driving between the cities takes about 8 hours. The train was supposed to take 12 hours, but wound up being over 16, because they kept having to pull onto side tracks and let freight pass through. Someone also quite literally destroyed the toilet in their car by throwing an enormous pile of towels in, despite all of the signs telling people not to.

In contrast, high speed rail in Europe and Asia is great, A++++, would absolutely travel with again.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I took the bus from Portland ME to Washington DC

I left a boy, and returned.... a Man.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

The_Franz posted:

My brother took an Amtrak once. Driving between the cities takes about 8 hours. The train was supposed to take 12 hours, but wound up being over 16, because they kept having to pull onto side tracks and let freight pass through. Someone also quite literally destroyed the toilet in their car by throwing an enormous pile of towels in, despite all of the signs telling people not to.

In contrast, high speed rail in Europe and Asia is great, A++++, would absolutely travel with again.

lol imagine someone being like "dont go in there, i DESTROYED that bathroom" and you go in and they werent being metaphorical

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pencilhands posted:

lol imagine someone being like "dont go in there, i DESTROYED that bathroom" and you go in and they werent being metaphorical

Here's a Reader's Digest condensed version of the story PH:

The Night before Thanksgiving, and everyone is on the bus. I make my way back to the bathroom, and a little old lady eventually comes out, smiling.

I walk in, and there's piss, everywhere. Like someone intentionally pissed all over the floor and walls. Was it that old lady? I don't know. But what I do know is there's someone waiting to come in to this bathroom after me. And they're gonna blame me.

So.... I do what I can to clean up the piss bus bathroom on Thanksgiving Eve....

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Greyhound makes tons of planned stops and probably costs more than a cheap airline but takes 3-5 days to travel something you could drive in 2.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The "Express" Bus from Boston to NYC makes a stop in Newton LOL.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I had a buddy, Zack, a good old Maryland boy, who took the Hound from ALBQ to DC to catch up to us. The poor fool.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
in my early 20s i traveled a lot and took the grey hound a few times the only thing i remember is that it was cheaper than an airline then as for the food i think there were vending machines at the stations maybe?????

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I seem to recall an episode of mythbusters where they test methods for beating lie detecting machines. apparently for people to "properly" lie they either need to benefit from it, or avoid punishment.

in this case, it was either return on a 1st class flight, or return by bus. a bus trip is may be worse than chinese water torture.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I liked taking the acela between NYC and boston / DC / baltimore / philadelphia when I used to have to travel for work.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

No, I'd rather eat a bullet, thanks.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
the bus sucked make no mistake from my earlier post it was not an enjoyable experience

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
I took a Greyhound 1/3 of the way across the country. We stopped maybe every 4-5 hours at rest stops. They had places you could buy food and use the bathroom. It wasn't a bad trip, just tedious.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I got mugged my first 3 times in the NYC Port Authority bus station. Each one is a story, but now that I know Netflix will pay millions for this poo poo.... each mugging is a season.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

ever since greyhound let that one guy decapitate that other guy I've always kind of side-eyed public transport

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I've done Amtrak Vancouver -> Portland (Or) -> Chicago for some conferences. Got a sleeper car for the long haul. It was pretty chill. There was some cool desert river scenery in Washington State, then the Rockies (unfortunately some of the best parts at night). Then a whole lot of flat country. Lots of Mennonites on the train, which was interesting to watch. At one point we hit a different sect of Mennonites who were apparently allowed to wear coloured shirts...

Oh and one middle-aged hippyish dude who asked to borrow my phone so he could arrange a ride with his lady friend at the weird-rear end small town he was stopping at. He had some story about being screwed over by the local sheriff and ending up in jail/unable to do his job or something. It sounded pretty rough, probably par for the course in small town America, and also potentially a whole lot of made-up BS. Who knows?

But yeah freight takes priority, and the rails are super bumpy and rickety. The sleeper car bunks literally have a strap they recommend you use to avoid being thrown out in the night. Oh and at one point US Border Patrol got on the train and demanded everyone's papers. But I told them my passport was in my cabin and they were chill about it.

I also stopped for a couple of days in Minneapolis, since I had a friend who was doing a postdoc there. I got to bike around Minneapolis a bunch (great bike infrastructure). Also it was Fourth of July, so we biked down to see the fireworks, which turned out to be one weird trick to beat the crowds.

I've done long-ish train rides across Europe -- Gothenburg to Berlin and back, and Stockholm to Leipzig (basically the same route most of the way). There's a neat part when they load the entire train onto a ferry to go from Germany to Denmark. Those trips were all-day, started around 7am and ended 10pm, but also pretty chill. Oh I remember in the Copenhagen central station there was an elevator with a button labelled "Infart" (entrance), and someone had erased the 'n'.

Done a few half-day trips by train across the UK too. Also pretty chill.

For the bus, when I was 19 I took one to Cape Town, which is 1800km, ie "across the country". It was 23 hours long, stopped for meals at big rest stops with decent takeout places, and honestly a fine way to travel for someone in their late teens/early 20s.

Oh, yeah, more recently I've taken the "Burner Bus" to Afrikaburn. That's about an eight hour overnight journey, but the last time I did it the bus was super rickety. Like there were chunks of rusty metal raining down on me from the roof while I was trying to sleep. The bus was going pretty slowly though, so I wasn't too stressed.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Buce posted:

It essentially is. If you're poor, then this is your only real option, and they know it. Greyhound treats its customers as worse than poo poo, because they know they have nowhere else to go.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bus, train or tane thats my motto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Do long haul busses have power outlets nowadays? I feel like that would make all the difference.