Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

One team wearing 2 sets of jerseys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

biceps crimes posted:

that’s it. im going to lose my mind

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

docbeard posted:

BREAKING: This morning, in an unannounced press conference, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., eyes ablaze, declared in an unnaturally deep voice that his name was Ba'al, and directed the American people to bow before their new god.

He's got my vote

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Best Friends posted:

for rfk jr that would just be a normal guy’s voice

I have admittedly never heard him speak, and lord willing, never will

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shut it, Clippy, I'm becoming the Reverse Flash and you can't talk me out of it

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

KomradeX posted:

Any good books about Anaconda? Or do we not get those anymore cause everything is classified so no historians can actually analyze anything from the last 20 years

There are tonnes, because all of these SEALs cashed out by writing memoirs and getting on the public speaking circuit, and it was 20 years ago so they've retired and written the books by now. They aren't good, but they are revealing. They show how the SEALs became a "brand".

Dirty Wars and Relentless Strike are probably the best two in terms of discussing the coverup of John Chapman's death, the apparent cooperation between the US and Pakistan to let Osama escape across the border, the "Wedding Party" and canoeing.

The gist, as I understand it, is pretty similar to the Canadian Airborne Regiment and Somalia Affair. In the 90's, the Navy sent hard cases to BUD/S to "teach them a lesson", so they would be brutalized on the course. The end result ideally being that they were either discharged for failing the course, or passed, in which case they were the SEALs' problem. The SEALs were insignificant to Big Navy, and so having a couple fuckup undisciplined frogmen wasn't a big problem, and they would be sort of cordoned off. This was exactly how Big Army treated the Jump Course and Airborne. A fuckup in an airborne battalion wasn't causing problems in the "real" infantry regiments anymore, it was a way to cull the fuckups that joined the Army when Quebec and the Maritimes went into recession in the late 80's early 90's. Meanwhile the RMC graduates and pick up enlisted men would be in the heavy cavalry, PPCLI or RCR.

Just like the Airborne, the problem was that the 90's were a particularly bad time for western militaries, so tonnes of guys were being sent to these units as Big Army, in the American case, Big Navy, tried to clean house. Well, enough of them passed the courses. At the same time, because this was peacetime, even the Airborne and SEAL units didn't know what to do with their fuckup graduates. They assigned people who graduated bottom of their class as instructors, which made the training more abusive and shoddier, and because in these courses personality is the main determinant, the abusive dickhead instructors selected more of the abusive shitheads who had been sent on those courses as a disciplinary measure by the parent service. Groups of these guys started hanging out together, and kept getting DUIs, domestics, and otherwise being undisciplined. Still, they were sectioned off, first within the service, second within the training component or RHQs, so they weren't on the operational teams/parachute companies.

Well, when the war broke out, or in Canada, the Somalia mission was assigned, in theory Airborne and SEALs are the best of the best and high readiness, so they were deployed. In a deployment it was impossible to monitor these guys without military police breathing down their neck, and they were a million miles away from Virginia Beach/RHQ, so they started acting like criminals.

In both cases, because these were close knit groups of guys used to covering for each other from DUIs and domestic abuse charges at home, they started covering up poo poo for each other abroad, and that's how "allegedly", you get $30k cash missing from Captain Phillip's boat, the Airborne beating Somali kids to death etc.

Anaconda was their first major operation, and the guys who closed ranks to coverup Chapman's death bonded over it, it became the blackmail that tied them all together, and that shaped the culture within the SEALs, particularly as guys who were there started getting promoted and shaping the culture of the service. For example, the people who protected Chris Kyle from any kind of discipline and oversight, and promoted him as part of the SEAL "brand" were all on Anaconda, and so were the guys involved in claiming credit for killing Osama Bin Laden, killing that Green Beret in Africa, the coverup of Operation Red Wings.

CN CREW-VESSEL has issued a correction as of 17:05 on May 9, 2024

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Best Friends posted:

for rfk jr that would just be a normal guy’s voice

wtf did he have throat cancer or something

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Spasmodic dysphonia

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

holefoods posted:

did they buy the assets from a dollar store CGI childrens movie or something what the gently caress

iirc they used a cad program like rhino rather than something more suited for character artists

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

lumpentroll posted:

wtf did he have throat cancer or something

it's a stutter

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Programmer Humor posted:

iirc they used a cad program like rhino rather than something more suited for character artists

lol

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
How an obscure team of navy divers became celebrities and employed exclusively in nighttime raids on civilians, rather than... you know, diving and taking sand samples and tide measurements, probably encompasses a lot of the reasons the GWOT warped American society, but I don't know how to explain it succinctly.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

holefoods posted:

did they buy the assets from a dollar store CGI childrens movie or something what the gently caress

They're all her deviantart OCs which were originally drawn in ms paint and look like bad sonic fanart but i can't find it right now

https://x.com/BriannaWu/status/1788279224282874337
https://x.com/BriannaWu/status/1788580767754235972
https://x.com/BriannaWu/status/1788605711309492515

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The gently caress does any of that mean

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

she's a transphobic shithead, hth

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Uncle Wemus posted:

They're all her deviantart OCs which were originally drawn in ms paint and look like bad sonic fanart but i can't find it right now

EwwWu

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

oh my god she's gonna do the whole "trans people need to pipe down NOW if they want rights in the FUTURE" thing isn't she

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

https://twitter.com/basic_chanel/status/1788601797055004913

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

oh my god she's gonna do the whole "trans people need to pipe down NOW if they want rights in the FUTURE" thing isn't she

always waiting for a more convenient season

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Uncle Wemus posted:

lol she said resonable people can not want palestinians genocided but she doesn't agree

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

this is just a dasha and other-crazy-bitch-who-isnt-dasha biography isnt it

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

How an obscure team of navy divers became celebrities and employed exclusively in nighttime raids on civilians, rather than... you know, diving and taking sand samples and tide measurements, probably encompasses a lot of the reasons the GWOT warped American society, but I don't know how to explain it succinctly.

You're talking about a "war" where the generals and their staffs spent infinitely more time watching live drone feeds of firefights and airstrikes like it was their own personal action movie then they spent thinking about what their strategic objectives were and how to achieve them. Is it any surprise that the most action movie like military units then got pushed into the limelight?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
theyre making that one biden drawing Nichael always posts (you know the one) into a movie

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this is just a dasha and other-crazy-bitch-who-isnt-dasha biography isnt it

new species of trans dashas, it's a brave new world

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

The pro-genocide to terf pipeline is real

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

best line in the debates will be rfk's closing monologue where he takes time to speak to his brain worms where he says "thank you for being in my brain, I'm glad you're here"

it's their house, they're supposed to be there!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

walking it back already:

https://x.com/BarakRavid/status/1788598459831894371

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Bart Simpson election posters but it's "A vote for Kennedy is a vote for brain worms"

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

SgtMongoose posted:

You're talking about a "war" where the generals and their staffs spent infinitely more time watching live drone feeds of firefights and airstrikes like it was their own personal action movie then they spent thinking about what their strategic objectives were and how to achieve them. Is it any surprise that the most action movie like military units then got pushed into the limelight?

When you put it like that, yeah, it makes sense.

Task Force Bruiser in Ramadi, which Chris Kyle was a part of, was basically just there to run up a bodycount for the brass, with the results you'd expect.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
wasn't that the same assurances he's been giving the whole time? "We'll give them the bombs if they pinky promise not to use them on civilians"? It hasn't worked yet, why would it suddenly work now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Srice posted:

As pipelines go it's just a bucket

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

“Summer in Saint Anger" is a comedy/horror/erotic thriller hybrid set in the same universe as "Envy/Desire,” though not a conventional sequel. It follows Bella and Natasha as they navigate the neoliberal, post-woke world of dating as would-be socialites in a cosmopolitan city. They frequent queer club nights, communist art galleries, and, of course, cunty doll brunches.

Bella, having broken up with her crossdressing ex-bf Ethan, is now in a relationship with Toby, an archetypal leftist "soy boy" whose income comes from Twitch streaming and a small allowance from his parents. Natasha, on the other hand, is a successful model and recording artist, residing in a Manhattan penthouse with her 6ft 3 ripped and chiseled finance bro boyfriend, Josh.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

And... This lady suggests her views represent the progressive left?

She sounds like Fetterman

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Almost like Biden is a hardcore Zionist and all this "red line" bullshit has always been and will continue to be a smokescreen for gullible idiots.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

Isn't Brianna Wu a transwoman? How do you wind up a terf transwoman?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

And... This lady suggests her views represent the progressive left?

She sounds like Fetterman

she's progressing right for sure

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

PostNouveau posted:

"I'm more real of a woman than you are, I've got my cyborg pussy and fulfill some labyrinthine set of criteria for what a woman should be"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Ask Blair White.

You become "one of the good ones" who will call out those loony lefties and also become a shield against accusations of transphobia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Listen Jack, we can send you anything you need, but ya gotta make sure to use the off-brand munitions when you're annihilating whole neighborhoods. It makes us look bad when the missile used to target a bus full of children has "USA" written on it. Just keep that one in the hopper for a less lucrative target.