Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"everyone calls me a stupid rear end in a top hat that sucks" is a novel approach for a speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lol that the only juror to get their news from msnbc also gets their news from fox

https://twitter.com/jmhorp/status/1781489549354356849

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Nichael posted:

Exactly!

Number 1 is reserved for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Nichael however is a big time number 2

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/jewstein3000/status/1780590066978468134

I think about “Havana Syndrome” a lot and maybe that’s because of my experiences. I was immediately made sick from the air around Ground Zero and told it was safe and to return to work. I never recovered. 1/

Since then I have had such severe chemical sensitivity that I’ve had to move constantly and I’ve been gaslit every single time I’ve pointed out gas leaks, mold, pesticide (and where I could, I’ve always been proven right). 2/

I was exposed to the Dominguez Channel chemical spill in 2021 and knew right away the government was lying about it being caused by natural phenomena (and was proven right). 3/

I’ve been exposed to people feeling the need to downplay environmental exposures my whole life, even before 9/11, as a sensitive person.

With Havana Syndrome, we had people reporting similar symptoms in one building then other buildings. They had in common their employment. 4/

The CIA minimized and denied their claims. That was expected. They did the same with Agent Orange.

Yet for some reason, there is a large group of people overly focused on denying these patients who seem to think it’s a CIA-backed story. 5/

And there are people obsessed with denying the claims of people who experienced so-called “Havana Syndrome,” even though it’s a small group of people, not supported by the govt, not really affecting anyone’s lives, 6/

The point I should have led with is this: The people obsessed with denying Havana Syndrome will hide behind politics, claiming that it’s racist, that it’s a CIA story, etc.

But ultimately I think it’s just about the pleasure people get from disease denial 7/

There are whole Reddit communities around calling people fakers who say they are sick.

Tweets that claim disabled people are lying or exaggerating are almost always popular. It’s sport!! 8/

I think it comes from the internalized ableism that is at the heart of all ableism: denying disease or illness or physical weakness or sensitivities etc is a way to convince yourself that you have control over your body.

Control you don’t have! Sorry. 9/

It’s connected to the Door Dash discourse: leftists claimed they cared so much about workers they had to deny the experience of disabled people who said they needed their food delivered.

But that was a cover.

These same labor activists had nothing to say about consuming produce from exploited farm workers, admitted to eating in restaurants where workers disproportionately died of Covid, etc.

The discourse became almost entirely about how the disabled people had to be lying.

And not surprisingly some of the Doordash folks also think it’s fun to mock Havana Syndrome.

This is why political allegiance is meaningless to most marginalized groups. We see how you use the rhetoric of politics to play your favorite game: punching down.

I also think it’s fallen out of favor on the left to deny Long Covid (though people like Natalie Shure still do) because it’s so widespread and there’s no political cover for it. They can’t claim it’s a fiction by the govt.

So that’s where Havana Syndrome stepped in.

But it’s still popular on the left to deny chronic Lyme, despite major institutions like Johns Hopkins establishing centers to investigate and treat it. And other rare illnesses.

At best, the deniers will hide behind “Big Pharma” to create a political cover story for ableism.

FYI dunno for sure the cause of “Havana Syndrome,” but the US has been developing microwave radiation technology since at least the Cold War and there were examples of known tests of it in the year before Havana Syndrome was named.

Not gonna read that.

I happy for you tho. Or sorry that happened.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lol that the only juror to get their news from msnbc also gets their news from fox

Juror 4 lol

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

happy for them

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

alternate 2 as well

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

juror 4 gets the news exclusively from an exclusive social club: the something awful forums

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Danann posted:

juror 4 gets the news exclusively from an exclusive social club: the something awful forums

:hmmyes:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Danann posted:

"you'll have to stop posting for the duration of your sequester"
"your honor, i would like to see you try"

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Danann posted:

we have our goon on the inside!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Danann posted:

exactly

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/mycoliza/status/1781184897149009923

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lmao the more i think about this

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

lol that nu-twitter and truth social have the same popularity.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

any new yorker cspammers stop posting recently? we know it isn't mcmagic luckily

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Has he considered not helping commit genocide and improving the lives of the American people???

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol at so many jurors reading THE FAILING NEW YORK SLIMES

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't think you're supposed to say this when you're a candidate.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I suck poo poo and everyone hates me. Also I smell.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nichael posted:

hell same

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i'lll vote for you just please don't do a genocide

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[HAMILTON]
Schuyler?

[ANGELICA]
My sister

[ELIZA]
Thank you for all your service

[HAMILTON]
If it takes fighting a war for us to meet, it will have been worth it

[ANGELICA]
I’ll leave you to it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Scarabrae posted:

ya the amount of people who equate the modern democrat party with leftism is staggering, the terminology should actively be abandoned and just start saying your a communist

Yeah, I think most Americans consider "left" and "liberal" synonyms, and just think both words mean "the vague concept of being culturally open-minded"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"you'll have to stop posting for the duration of your sequester"
"your honor, i would like to see you try"

I got around this when I was on a sequestered jury by using the browser on my Nintendo 3DS :smug:

11 is similar except has "Google"

Tbh I'd probably answer the same as 11, thinking "I guess that's sorta the same thing as reading various articles online?"

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 09:32 on Apr 20, 2024

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol cool

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

Not gonna read that.

I happy for you tho. Or sorry that happened.

I read it and learned that before Doordash, all disabled people starved to death

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
jury selection is a joke. carefully selecting a group of peers so they all have normie opinions. bring back judge trials

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Lin-Manuel Turtle posted:

[HAMILTON]
Schuyler?

[ANGELICA]
My sister

[ELIZA]

[HAMILTON]

[ANGELICA]
I’ll leave you to it

Why is this poo poo always the same :psyduck:

All he does is meet those goddamn sisters and talk about going to war.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nichael posted:

Mr President o7

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

is pepsi ok posted:

“I made a movie when I was 15 years old with all my friends. This is when IMDb was a little more lax with its proceedings, so it's listed as one of my projects. I was 15 years old; it's a terrible movie. I wrote 50 percent of it because I wanted to kiss this one girl, and I wrote a kissing scene for it.”

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

is pepsi ok posted:

yeah, that's the first act, basically. ends with Yorktown. then the second act is all fighting with Jefferson and Burr with quick asides for mourning his dead kid and cheating on his wife and publicly posting through it

next song up is kind of a banger though ngl

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

failing New York Times

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

They should make Gore Vidal’s Burr into a musical

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

yeah this trial is already over

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Weird that he brought the kid who was flipping him off to the rally

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Lin-Manuel Turtle posted:

[HAMILTON]
Schuyler?

[ANGELICA]
My sister

[ELIZA]

[HAMILTON]

[ANGELICA]
I’ll leave you to it

Without doing any further research, I'm going to assume the Schuyler Sisters are the Dudley Boyz of the musical, and will face the Hardys and Edge & Christian for the tag title in a TLC match during the denouement

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Beached Whale posted:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beached Whale posted:

hahaha hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU