Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

starting over for new thread:

01. Alexander Hamilton

How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore and a Scotsman, dropped in the middle of a forgotten
spot in the Caribbean by Providence impoverished in squalor
grow up to be a hero and a scholar?

The Ten dollar, founding father without a father
got a lot farther by working a lot harder
by being a lot smarter by being a self-starter
by fourteen, they placed him in charge of a trading charter

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Nichael posted:

I don't know. How does he?

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Did you know that Lin Manuel Miranda fell into a vat of fermenting tofu when he was a baby?

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Inspirational.

Ok Ytlaya, your dedication to finding out what happens next moved me. What will happen at the Winter Ball? Will Hamilton find love? resuming the Hamiltune Singalong from where we left off last thread:

11. Helpless

[HAMILTON/BURR/LAURENS/ALL WOMEN (EXCEPT ELIZA)]
Hey hey hey hey

[ELIZA]
Ohh, I do I do I do I
Dooo! Hey!
Ohh, I do I do I do I
Dooo! Boy you got me

[ALL WOMEN]
Hey hey hey hey
Hey hey hey hey
Hey hey hey hey
Hey hey hey

Lin-Manuel Turtle has issued a correction as of 07:20 on Apr 10, 2024

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

SgtMongoose posted:

Cool that Hamilton's Miranda's Hamilton's wife is still white in the play. Wouldn't want the race swapping to remove the important race relations.

That is multiple Grammy Award winning and Tony and Emmy nominated actress Philippa Soo, who is Asian American: “I identify as an Asian American woman and a mixed-race person. I hope my unique experiences and my identity can shine a light on the characters I portray and the stories I tell.”

LMM stays winning

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[ELIZA AND WOMEN]
Helpless!
Look into your eyes, and the sky’s the limit I’m helpless!
Down for the count, and I’m drownin’ in ‘em

[ELIZA]
I have never been the type to try and grab the spotlight
We were at a revel with some rebels on a hot night
Laughin’ at my sister as she’s dazzling the room
Then you walked in and my heart went “Boom!”
Tryin’ to catch your eye from the side of the ballroom
Everybody’s dancin’ and the band’s top volume

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

What you run up against are the limits of defining 32 different loving countries with one world. Literally, no word is going to make everyone happy.

When I was in high school, every week, the Latino club would debate ‘Latino’ versus ‘Hispanic. “Now ‘Hispanic’ has really fallen into the rearview, and it’s all these variations on the rear-end of the word. Latiné is great because it’s Latino-created. I’m cool with all of it. I use them interchangeably because I think the pie is still cooling and it will never be perfect, because it’s trying to capture too much stuff.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[ELIZA AND WOMEN]
Grind to the rhythm as we wine and dine

[ELIZA]
Grab my sister, and
Whisper, “Yo, this
One’s mine.”

My sister made her way across the room to you
And I got nervous, thinking “What’s she gonna do?”
She grabbed you by the arm, I’m thinkin’ “I’m through”
Then you look back at me and suddenly I’m
Helpless!

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[ELIZA]
Oh, look at those eyes

Oh!
Yeah, I’m
Helpless, I know

I’m so into you
I am so into you

I know I’m down for the count
And I’m drownin’ in ‘em.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[ALL WOMEN]
Oooh

Oooh

Oooh

Oooh

Helpless!

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Rochallor posted:

pretty problematic, LMM

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[ALL WOMEN]
Look into your eyes
And the sky’s the limit
I’m
Helpless!
Down for the count
And I’m drownin’ in ‘em

I’m helpless!

Look into your eyes
And the sky’s the limit I’m helpless!

Down for the count
And I’m drownin’ in ‘em.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[HAMILTON]
Eliza, I don’t have a dollar to my name
An acre of land, a troop to command, a dollop of fame
All I have’s my honor, a tolerance for pain
A couple of college credits and my top-notch brain
Insane, your family brings out a different side of me
Peggy confides in me, Angelica tried to take a bite of me

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[HAMILTON]

No stress, my love for you is never in doubt
We’ll get a little place in Harlem and we’ll figure it out
I’ve been livin’ without a family since I was a child
My father left, my mother died, I grew up buckwild
But I’ll never forget my mother’s face, that was real
And long as I’m alive, Eliza, swear to God
You’ll never feel so…

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[HAMILTON]
Eliza…

I’ve never felt so—

My life is gon’ be fine cuz Eliza’s in it.

[ELIZA]
I do I do I do I do!

I do I do I do I do!

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I was just at a conference where someone presented a paper on spiritual care in hospitals, and said he was surprised that the hospitals' policies adhere to the written doctrine of their faiths, the argument being that we have to take people just as seriously when they believe in idiosyncratic volkish woo woo because they had an incomplete catechesis, as opposed to providing care their faith proscribes.

My opinion was that if someone is an Anglican, and we're taking their spiritual care seriously, we have to adhere to the Anglican Church, and not someone who has confused their yoga practice with the actual doctrine of their faith. I don't like the Book of Concord, but if we're taking the metaphysical perspective that spiritual care matters, we need to be thorough in its administration. A physician does not prescribe what the patient thinks they need, he provides them with the correct medication, in consultation with a pharmacist. So, I said, cuius regio, eius religio. Whatever religion you claim to profess, will be taken seriously, and thoroughly, and you ought to receive the best, and that means most correct, as we've accepted the premise that your soul is on the line, spiritual care possible.

This led to a whole thing about respecting people's beliefs, but again, if people believe they are Anglican, and believe they are dying, or otherwise need to work through the spiritual care team, then to take their belief seriously, it needs to be engaged with as a serious ideology and practice, and correctly, so that they receive the unction of the sick - not (just) allowing their relatives to all hold hands in a circle or whatever, because that's Anglicanism as they understand it. Cuius regio, eius religio, the Ottomans figured this out with the Millet. To incorporate religious practice and the law, the state needs a system to work though.

My argument was, it's more respectful of their beliefs to take those beliefs more seriously, and administer care more correctly, than the patient themselves understands. The only rebuttal I got was, "well what about their feelings?", "Different people believe different things", "you have to agree to disagree" etc etc. I don't want you to think I was taking a stance "theology doesn't care about your feelings". I think I'm going out of the way to honour people's feelings here. I'm genuinely confused about why it's better to condescend to people by humouring them, rather than actually doing the best we can to engage with their belief system.

Okay, while apply that to discussing any political issue with a liberal. Am I supposed to care how they think or feel the economy works, or am I supposed to discuss the economy in material terms, which means rejecting their priors and anecdotes, and cutesy stories, and half understood talking points? If they want to discuss the economy, isn't it important to establish that we're thoroughly describing a real system of resources and labour, which is guided by political and ideological decisions rather than something that is just-so?

"Gosh, who can say how the economy works? I guess we each have our own perspectives." is useless to actually describing, and so discussing, the socioeconomic system of a nation. We can say, and what we say can be disputed. If we're treating these as descriptions of reality, or informed by reality, they need to be challenged. I realize in the context of dinner parties I've had to be more flexible. I don't like it, but my wife says being relentless is my "best and worst quality", which is awfully kind of her to say, but doesn't resolve the issue.

Um, I don't know. I would say I'm questioning. I was raised Catholic, like, did all the sacraments. Sebastian was actually my saint's name before it was my son's name. And then I sort of did the teen-questioning thing of everything. I had a great Eastern Religions class in high school. We had a great teacher, Irv Steinfink, who showed us Groundhog Day because he said this is the best example of a bodhisattva. This is a guy living life over and over again until he learns something, and he gets to go on to the next day. And I was like, "poo poo, I didn't know Groundhog Day was that deep." I don't go to church, but at the same time religion keeps popping up in my work. You know? I'm not religious, but Abuela Claudia in In the Heights is. I'm not religious, but Hamilton really leaned on religion during some of the trauma of his later years. So that's my answer. I don't consider myself religious, but at the same time it keeps popping up on me.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[HAMILTON]
Where are you taking me?

[ANGELICA]
I’m about to change your life

[HAMILTON]
Then by all means, lead the way

[ELIZA]
Elizabeth Schuyler. It’s a pleasure to meet you

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[HAMILTON]
Schuyler?

[ANGELICA]
My sister

[ELIZA]
Thank you for all your service

[HAMILTON]
If it takes fighting a war for us to meet, it will have been worth it

[ANGELICA]
I’ll leave you to it

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

is pepsi ok posted:

Why is this poo poo always the same :psyduck:

All he does is meet those goddamn sisters and talk about going to war.

“I made a movie when I was 15 years old with all my friends. This is when IMDb was a little more lax with its proceedings, so it's listed as one of my projects. I was 15 years old; it's a terrible movie. I wrote 50 percent of it because I wanted to kiss this one girl, and I wrote a kissing scene for it.”

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Grapplejack posted:

here's lin manuel miranda to do a fun rap about slavery

“Making words rhyme for a living is one of the great joys of my life... That's a superpower I've been very conscious of developing. I started at the same level as everybody else, and then I just listened to more music and talked to myself until it was an actual superpower I could pull out on special occasions.”

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[ELIZA AND WOMEN]
One week later

[ELIZA]
I’m writin’ a letter nightly
Now my life gets better, every letter that you write me
Laughin’ at my sister, cuz she wants to form a harem

[ANGELICA]
I’m just sayin’, if you really loved me, you would share him

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Ytlaya posted:

I didn't realize this play was quite this excessive with its praise of Alexander Hamilton

It's not enough that he's a heroic politician - all the women also want to gently caress him.

My only responsibility as a playwright and a storyteller is to give you the time of your life in the theatre. I just happen to think that with Hamilton's story, sticking close to the facts helps me. All the most interesting things in the show happened.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

lol why are democrats like this?

In 'Hamilton,' we're telling the stories of old, dead white men, but we're using actors of color, and that makes the story more immediate and more accessible to a contemporary audience.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Nichael posted:

If Biden had a platform page (he does not), a centerpiece of it would be his signature policy of "Access to Hamilton".

Secretary Pete in 2028 will run on "Hamilton for All (who want it)".

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/s...-manuel-miranda

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[ELIZA]
Ha!
Two weeks later
In the living room stressin’
My father’s stone-faced
While you’re asking for his blessin’
I’m dying inside, as
You wine
And dine
And I’m tryin’ not to cry
‘cause there’s nothing that your mind can’t do
My father makes his way across the room
To you
I panic for a second, thinking
“we’re through”
But then he shakes your hand and says
“Be true”
And you turn back to me, smiling, and I’m
Helpless!

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Ytlaya posted:

For some reason my mind keeps trying to fit this to the melody of the "Worthless" song from The Brave Little Toaster

Is this musical ever even slightly critical of Hamilton? It seems like everyone just talks about how awesome he is constantly.

In the best works of fiction, there's no mustache-twirling villain. I try to write shows where even the bad guy's got his reasons.

e: Burr snipe

Lin-Manuel Turtle has issued a correction as of 09:51 on Apr 22, 2024

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Hamilton Radio
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28468/

The Broadway of Hamilton available on your PipBoy!

[ELIZA]
Helpless!
Hoo!

That boy is mine
That boy is mine!

Helpless! Helpless!
Down for the count
And I’m drownin’ in em

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Tim Cain (in the membrane) has stated that the nukes were launched by China as a response to America’s biological weapons program creating and using the FTV virus.

Todd Howard and AOC, however, have retconned this.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[ALL WOMEN]
Stressin’

Blessin’

Oooh

Oooh

Oooh

Oooh

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[ALL WOMEN]

Helpless!
Look into your eyes
And the sky’s the
Limit I’m
Helpless!
Down for the count
And I’m drownin’ in
‘em I’m
Helpless!

Look into your eyes
And the sky’s the
Limit I’m
Helpless!
Down for the count
And I’m drownin’ in em

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[ELIZA]
Hey, yeah, yeah!

I’m down for the count
I’m—

I look into your eyes, and the sky’s the limit
I’m

…drownin’ in ‘em.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

'West Wing' was huge. Like 'Hamilton,' it pulls back the curtain on how decision-making happens at the highest level, or at least how you hope it would be. The amount of information Aaron Sorkin packs into a scene gave me this courage to trust the audience to keep up.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[ALL WOMEN]
Helpless!

Helpless!

Helpless!

Down for the count
And I’m drownin’ in ‘em

Helpless!

Helpless!

Helpless!

Down for the count
And I’m drownin’ in ‘em.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Wedding march plays

[ALL WOMEN]
In New York, you can be a new man…

[ELIZA]
Helpless

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

12. Satisfied

Angelica: Chorus:
A toast to the groom (To the groom x3)
To the bride (To the Bride x3)
From your sister (Angelica x3)
Is always by your side (By your side x2)
To your union (To the union) (to the revolution)
And the hope that you provide (Provide, you provide)
May you always (Always)
Be satisfied (Rewind)

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

What's incredible about 'Hamilton,' and the reason you can't get a ticket, is because everyone's responding to it. Everyone is seeing a bit of themselves in it.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Angelica:

I remember that night I just might regret that night for the rest of my days
I remember those soldier boys tripping over themselves to win our praise.
I remember that dreamlike candlelight like a dream that you can't quite place.
But Alexander I'll never forget the first time I saw your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Angelica:
I have never been the same.
Intelligent eyes in a hunger pain fame.
And when you said hi I forgot my dang name.
You set my heart aflame, every part aflame, this is not a game.

Hamilton:
You strike me as a woman who has never been satisfied.