Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SixteenShells posted:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/left-wing-authoritarians-shutting-down-the-democratic-party.html
https://archive.is/zR1HW

six thousand words that boil down to :mods: because a handful of people aren't falling in line behind party leadership

The democrats are a big tent party. You’re supposed to get in the tent and be part of their party. It’s their party so you have to follow their rules or you shouldn’t be in the tent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Once it’s reached the total eclipse you can, so I did, and it was magnificent. I have no regrets.

I’m no medical professional but what I’ve been told is the real danger is looking at it when it moves from totality back to even slightly not totality

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

pencilhands posted:

has anyone here actually tried jenis splendid ice cream? is it good

I had some one time it was good because it was ice cream but I didn’t think it was any better than other premium grocery store pints like b&js or whatever

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

During the pandemic they interviewed a Republican whom they asked the question: "Why are Republicans politicizing the vaccine?"

The dude responded by saying the Democrats are doing it too and that Kamala Harris said, during the debates, that she would never take the vaccine if Trump endorsed it.

After he got off the air, NPR did a very special fact check on his statement and said that what he said about Kamala saying that at the debates was false and that NPR is committed to the truth.

It struck me as super weird that they said it that way so I looked it up myself and yep. Kamala did say that she wouldn't take the vaccine if Trump endorsed it. She just said it at some speech, not a debate.

I don’t remember exactly what she said at the debate but i do remember it was one of those very carefully crafted statements that when you hear in person sounds very clear but if you go back and try to clinically parse out from a transcript or a video clip has enough wiggle room to be deniable

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

PoundSand posted:

It's wild to me student loan interest is a thing anyways. Like obviously education should be free to begin with but if you absolutely must make it a loan that's essentially functioning as a tax meant to fund education by the people utilizing it, then there's no reason to slap interest on that, the gov is already benefiting from a more educated population, the "interest" is the higher earning potential that can be taxed.

The interest is meant to act as a penalty for those who climb above their station, op

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Jimong5 posted:

I guess you forgot when the FBI tried to kidnap Gretchen Whitmer lol

Lmao that was so loving funny. They had an underground hideout where they discussed the plan and like 80% of them were informants if I’m remembering right

Also they like to set up right wing militia types from time to time too, certainly there’s an ideological quality to it but more than that busting a terrorist plot if good for your career and there’s no easier plot to bust than one you set up in the first place, so if your stuck out in some remote field office without a lot of anarchkiddies the militia guys are the low hanging fruit

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

the american people are tired of women

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

Dumping on swifties is just doing outreach to everyone else

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SixteenShells posted:

... why wouldn't i care what a reporter's politics are?

I’m somewhat in a minority on this but I actually prefer to know their politics because it helps me more easily spot their biases. Honestly the faux objective AP/NPR/NYT style is far more insidious imo

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

I can’t tell if people itt are progressive or righties anymore

Torus theory op

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

i voted for dick cheney in 2020
[url]https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1778397519484993911

Reminded me he was still alive

Which reminded me that it’s still possible for Carter to outlive Biden

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

They said Latin-Ecks, and I halfway expected Vin Diesel to explode out of a wall.

I laughed so hard at this. I just figured from reading that it would be la teen X or something, like keep the first two syllables, but everyone I ever heard actually say it pronounced it like a drat superhero name

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

As far as I know Latinx didn’t have some intentional start beyond academics trying to be gender neutral in papers and then other academics and students noticed and it kind of snowballed into a thing

I’m old enough that I was still in school while people were trying to sort out what came after the gender neutral he with various solutions like “one” instead of pronouns and the teacher in high school who recommended jumping between he and she in alternating paragraphs

The thing is if Latinx had caught on it would still get backlash but it clearly hasn’t caught on and at this point anyone trying to make it a thing is a dork

And I feel bad for anyone who hasn’t heard it spoken, it’s funny every time

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

Do... do people not use "one" anymore? It still works if you want to do generalized singular, "they" would be awkward in that context.

I’m pretty sure they/their is the academic standard now but I’ve been out of that world for a long time (and was only ever in it as a student anyway)

VitalSigns posted:

Ah yes, the D&D 3rd edition Players Handbook solution

Now I'm imagining someone trying to pronounce other written conventions like s/he

'Will suh-slash-he be there to pick me up at the airport'

I tried to find a media clip or two of someone saying it but I just got inundated with articles about people for/against it. But it was just Latin-X every time, like a ninja turtles mutagen that turns you into a centurion

I remember seeing some people saying it should be latinks for some unholy reason but I’ve never actually heard that pronounced

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

Have you seen Discendo Vox's posts, though?

Discemdo Vox is a dumb guys conceptualization of what a smart academic sounds like

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

bedpan posted:

I hate Discendo Vox Nihili

Joke would be funnier if they weren’t in fact the same person

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ArmedZombie posted:

I hate stancil31b

Hey I don’t make the rules. Similar user names? Same person. That’s just the way it is. Ask the hoots

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Maybe these kids should stop saying “cool” and “chill” and start saying “please” and “thank you”!!! :smug:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Succ thread on some good poo poo today, why does language change and is it to make me feel old and dead?

Every generational shift comes with tension as the generation aging out tries desperately to cling to their relevance

The only difference is that this time it’s actually justified because I’m in the aging out cohort

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://abcnews.go.com/538/vote-back-trump/story?id=109090626

The less you vote, the more you back Trump

I've had this vibe for awhile, nice to see some evidence for it. Trump benefits from higher turnout elections.

And yes, Presidential elections will have much higher turnout than midterms and especially off-year special elections

The more you vote, the more you need
The more you succ, the more you bleed

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Raccooon posted:

Liberals are under the impression that the people are going to punish them unfairly by not voting for them. Like it’s a an active thing (which it may be for some). But the vast majority of the non voters are people that have checked out because they suck so much. And maybe sucking less might bring those people back, but instead they just scold people.

This is the thing that they never seem to grasp. Like they’ll say “you had an obligation to vote for Hillary to defend Roe” and then you can ask them “but what about the subset of voters that generally oppose abortion rights but that opposition is soft enough that they might be won over by other policy? Wouldn’t it be better to try to bring them in on other issues, thereby protecting reproductive rights, rather than shaming them for not supporting Hillary to save Roe?”

“No! Those people don’t exist!”

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/04/12/katyal-machine-politics-in-new-jersey-00151795

Lmfao imagine anyone thinking of Neil as anything other than a soulless careerist

Love the photo though. I don’t know why but it just suits him

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I remember the argument also went something like: there's no naturally-occurring blue color in the world, so ancient people were never exposed to blue and thus never developed language for it or even the ability for their brains to process it. Like the experiments where you blindfold a baby monkey or whatever and then it's never able to see properly because it had no visual stimulus when its brain was developing. So humans only gained the ability so see blue once blue pigment was invented and we started painting things blue and so on.

But...like...there is blue in nature. Bluebonnets, bluejays, blueberries, turquoise, sapphires, lapis lazuli, the sky?

If people didn't see blue, why were blue pigments from Afghanistan so prized in the ancient world, wouldn't they just look like any cheaper wine-dark pigment you could get at home? How did rare expensive blue pigments even get invented in the first place if no one needed them or could distinguish them from wine? Why do we find evidence of blue paint on ancient Greek buildings like the Parthenon (OK it was 5th century BC and Homer was 8th century, so were those 300 years the critical ones when people started seeing blue?) But even then you can find blue tiles from the 30th century BC in Egypt soooo

It’s basically the same thing as Charlemagne truthers where if you stop and think about it for a few seconds it falls apart but nobody who is buying into it is the type to stop and think

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

If a language doesn’t have the words to distinguish between an entire sherwin Williams product catalog on day one then honestly wtf is the point of even having a language

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

an inuit: you mean they can't see snow?

I know the “50 different words for snow” comes from bad anthropology but whenever I’m reminded about it I laugh because English has 100 different words for things that are discarded as garbage

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Why did they do this?

I assume it’s a lot harder to serve ads and YouTube videos this way

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Can’t fool me that’s Salt Lake City

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Pussy Boss posted:

Extremely cool to have US Senators tweeting "Nuke them all. Glass parking lot" and poo poo

Remember when john McCain did a beach boys riff on the subject?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mags posted:

what a maverick

He was the best senator in the same way Beau was the best Biden

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

God I miss him

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lord of Pie posted:

i remember when he died

Top ten John McCain maverick moment, there, right between the time his mother died after him but if we’re being honest not quite as mavericky as that time his ex wife died before him

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Steven King hasn’t written a good book in twenty years anyway. I used to really love the guy when I was a kid and in a fit of nostalgia I asked for some suggestions of more recent works and out of the four ‘really good ones’ people suggested all four were poo poo

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Scarabrae posted:

still remember lmao’ing at the end of the dark tower series, like that was the best you could come up with?!

What’s even funnier is even with the end being trash it’s still a rebound from book six which was absolute goddamn trash and also the pettiest poo poo ever

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I was already kinda out by book 5 but i sunk cost fallacied myself all the way to the end. The literal loving Harry Potter sneetches at the end loving killed me

Yeah that was bad but at least kind of fun bad. Book six where he writes himself into the book and then kills off a main character saving him from the guy who irl hit him with a van, who he writes as a pathetic drug addicted alcoholic loser, is absolutely peak wtf are you even doing Steve

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

I liked revival and 11/22/63

Didn’t read the first but the second was one of the four. It had its moments but mostly it was a really bad boring nostalgia romp where the narrative read like a 70 year old trying way to hard to imagine the inner world of a guy in his 30s in 2010 and just failing repeatedly

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I got recommended 11/22/63 (bad), fairy tale (really horrendously bad), dr sleep (not great but kind of ok), and duma key (not really what I was looking for out of king but I guess the least bad of the four, by virtue of the inner monologue being someone of the same general generation as king and so at least plausibly believable)

RandolphCarter posted:

read revival, one of the rare king books with a good ending. or don’t, I have trash taste.

If I get the urge again I’ll try but honestly I think I’ve had my fill of the dude after those four

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Pet Semetary was King's last good horror novel before he bloated out of control and got silly, and Skeleton Crew was his last decent batch of short stories. The Stand sucks rear end and "It" needs to be cut down by at least 50% including That Scene

You’re probably right about It and I keep meaning to go back and reread it one of these days to find out but as a kid who had a pretty rough childhood and lost a sibling pretty young it really resonated with me at age 13 in a way that few novels have, sorry for the over share I guess but that’s my truth

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nichael posted:

What is the current status on United States President Joseph Robinette Biden?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Blockade posted:

What do these people think the point of the trolley problem is?

Blockade, probably, talking to some random VBNMW: The point is whether you think it’s morally acceptable to actively do wrong (kill an innocent by your own act) in order to prevent a greater harm that will unfold through no action of your own. There’s not really a ‘right or wrong answer’ it’s just a basic thought experiment to make you consider an extremely clear version of do ends justify means and such. It’s intentionally set up that way to make you think and breaks down if you start trying to apply it to voting and national policy

VBNMW rando: Uh no dude. It’s about your obligation to make hard choices and get your hands dirty, because only you can save America from Trump with your vote!

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 17:46 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

it's called good genes.

Best biggest jeans make the best brainiest babies imo. That’s why all the smartest kids were born between 1995 and 2004