Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean you didn't didn't ask 'can you win a fight...'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

peachy... posted:

The hardest fight is the one against your own personal demons. Do your best to look after yourselves

when you keep fighting them even though you always lose and your personal demons are really good at giving noogies :sadpeanut:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Actually I think I could win most fights now that I think about it.

I wear glasses, and I have heard it said many times that you can't hit man with glasses, so boom, I win.

Unless the other guy has glasses too. Then we play Warhammer, I guess.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I practice doing drop kicks daily. It is the only move you need. One day all the bruises from practicing will pay off.....

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Yes.

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

i showed u my trash pls respond

redshirt posted:

I need some real hard pipe hittin fellows.

meet me @ the tony macaroni parking lot

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

SatansOnion posted:

I've watched a fair amount of pro wrestling in my day, which probably counts for something

Wrestling and ninja turtles made a whole generation of badasses. The only question is crane kick or Camel Clutch?

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
I can fight and i choose as my weapon the shitpost

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Hell no, absolutely not. But I will eat a bullet and shield you from a grenade but now they wont let me join the army unless i stop doing that.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

PokeJoe posted:

I'm a lover not a fighter

Love is a battlefield, op

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

No of course not I rely solely on my enormous body mass and adrenalized mental illness.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'll avoid fighting if I can.

If it can not be avoided I will do whatever it takes to win. I will boot nuts and stomp them in to paste if I have to. I will gouge out your eyes. If any part of your body comes close enough I will bite it off. Fingers fingats, nose, ears whatever. I will eat your face.

naem
May 29, 2011

Sex Farm posted:

If you're over the age of like... 24 and getting into fights you deserve what you get

:agreed:

https://youtu.be/kvlrnc7hlQI?si=7fnQIPzXZUfJ8-m3

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*interview questions

Have you ever been in a Rumble?

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
You know you've found a good self-defense teacher when the first thing you are taught is, "Get a good pair of running shoes".

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I always wondered where you had to register hands, is there something like a DMV

Sort of. When I was practising Tae Guk as a teen they made me get a licence before I took a grading for a coloured belt. A lot of martial arts clubs do this but I don't think it's required by law. Most martial arts organisations will ban members who start streetfights and that includes boxing gyms. Pulling someones licence is telling them 'you are not going to be graded so there is no point training anymore, get out.'

Google 'martial arts licence' and you'll find a lot of stuff specific to the UK. Not sure about other countries.

Das Boo posted:

Absolutely not. My only defense is to scream and attempt a murder.

That is basically every drunken bar brawl I've ever witnessed.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean you didn't didn't ask 'can you win a fight...'

I can take a punch like a champ, my mom taught me how

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I used to make a living doing it and teaching others how, so yes.

It's really a quite dumb thing to do, though.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

peachy... posted:

The hardest fight is the one against your own personal demons. Do your best to look after yourselves

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Of course. I know the top two techniques. 1. Break the wrist, walk away. And if that doesn't work 2. Pocket Sand and run away.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Internetjack posted:

You know you've found a good self-defense teacher when the first thing you are taught is, "Get a good pair of running shoes".

Yeah. Also, a good instructor will teach you situational awareness so you're less likely to find yourself in a bad predicament to begin with. And I mean awareness both before and during an encounter.

AcidCat posted:

Pocket Sand

shi-sha!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Violence? Again, OP? I'm not mad but I am very disappointed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

Violence? Again, OP? I'm not mad but I am very disappointed.

Just taking a survey. Good to know what you're working with, you know?

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
My mastery of the Northern Mantis Fist has resulted in over 200 spectacular knock-outs. Who was knocked out? Why does that matter?

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
I’d say probably not, but I also have no qualms about fighting dirty, so when the other dude squares up and tries to fight like a real man, my only hope is to kick them in the balls as hard as I can.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

redshirt posted:

*interview questions

Have you ever been in a Rumble?

Rumbles are practically second nature to me, since I've watched so many :grin:

just don't get thrown over the top rope and you're golden, at least until it's just you and a few (other) main eventers, at which point there are no guarantees

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

STABASS posted:

My mastery of the Northern Mantis Fist has resulted in over 200 spectacular knock-outs. Who was knocked out? Why does that matter?

For the best (and I mean worst) names for techniques, look no further than Kenpo Karate. Kenpo is fun and a good way to learn basic principles and body mechanics (provided you have a good teacher), but it's also very dumb. I got my first black belt in it when I was a young lad. Here's a sampling of technique names and a couple of goofy rear end videos from what looks like a lovely instructor:

Scraping Hoof
Striking Serpent’s Head
Cross of Destruction
Gift in Return
Menacing Twirl
Heavenly Ascent
Thrust into Darkness
Fatal Deviation
Reprimanding the Bears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcRMAZ7EEig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KDvQBpg6nI

lol it's soooo bad. kenpo sucks

isaboo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 9, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"Pack it up Pack it in"

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

"Pack it up Pack it in"

Ah yes, that's a 9th degree black belt Kenpo technique

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I need some time to power up my special beam cannon

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I need some time to power up my special beam cannon

lol the creativity of 13 year old boys coming up with new names for Kenpo techniques is beyond reproach. we had a ton of fun with that.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

isaboo posted:

Ah yes, that's a 9th degree black belt Kenpo technique

lol. What other Black Belts do you have?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Also, there are big differences between fighting, brawling, and self defense. What works in one case may not work in another.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

lol. What other Black Belts do you have?

I have a black belt in BJJ. The other arts I enjoy and teach don't have belts, but have titles for instructors. I'm an Ajarn in muay Thai, Lakan Guro in Kali, and Pembantu Guru in Silat.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I've never been in a real fight but have recieved two black eyes from being sucker punched.

If I was inna real fight I would be too stupid to back off until it was too late and far too slow and weak to actually land a good hit. My preplanned go to move is a headbutt followed by waking up in the hospital after knocking myself out on the other person's face.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I can fight women (bog standard untough women), children, scrubs, nerds and old folks no problem.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
If I have to, yes. Fortunately I'm grown up and situationally aware, so I can avoid it. It's exhausting, painful, and bad for your mental and physical health.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

isaboo posted:

I have a black belt in BJJ. The other arts I enjoy and teach don't have belts, but have titles for instructors. I'm an Ajarn in muay Thai, Lakan Guro in Kali, and Pembantu Guru in Silat.

Dang, impressive. You've got a leadership role in the rumble if you want it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Torquemada posted:

If I have to, yes. Fortunately I'm grown up and situationally aware, so I can avoid it. It's exhausting, painful, and bad for your mental and physical health.

Fighting or being situationally aware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I've gotten pretty into prepping lately so like I've got 3 Glocks, a 1911, a derringer, 6 knives of various lengths and blade deployment methods (switch, butterfly, shoots out my sleeves like Assassins Creed) as part of my EDC, so yeah, I can loving fight OP