Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anyone can fight. But can you love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Nooner posted:

I've gotten pretty into prepping lately so like I've got 3 Glocks, a 1911, a derringer, 6 knives of various lengths and blade deployment methods (switch, butterfly, shoots out my sleeves like Assassins Creed) as part of my EDC, so yeah, I can loving fight OP

Zero defence against a well developed MTG deck tho

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've got experience in other poo poo as well - wing chun, Savate (french kickboxing), Lethwei (think muay Thai but with headbutts). My favorites by far are muay Thai, Silat, and Kali.
My wife is Thai and her dad was in the Thai army and taught me a bunch of the more traditional Thai arts, too. Fandab, Ler Drit, Krabi Krabong, and Muay Boran. Muay Thai is essentially distilled Muay Boran for ring fighting.

I've done a little Aikido but it sucks and so does Steven Seagal. I haven't done any Kung Fu or much Japanese or Okinawan Karate though. Or much Judo. If I had to start all over, I'd probably make Judo my first art.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Only myself, not another.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

isaboo posted:

I've got experience in other poo poo as well - wing chun, Savate (french kickboxing), Lethwei (think muay Thai but with headbutts). My favorites by far are muay Thai, Silat, and Kali.
My wife is Thai and her dad was in the Thai army and taught me a bunch of the more traditional Thai arts, too. Fandab, Ler Drit, Krabi Krabong, and Muay Boran. Muay Thai is essentially distilled Muay Boran for ring fighting.

I've done a little Aikido but it sucks and so does Steven Seagal. I haven't done any Kung Fu or much Japanese or Okinawan Karate though. Or much Judo. If I had to start all over, I'd probably make Judo my first art.

Wrestling actually seems like the true killer fighting form. All other forms of fighting fail when they meet a tough wrestler.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I can sodomize. Is that the same thing?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Now I know why you cry.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Yeah dude, I'm still training my Pokemon on Pokemon Go.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You fight, but do you dare to dream?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
No, I fight by deescalation. I tell them I’m a pacifist and refuse to get out of my barstool. That’s always worked in the past. Of course it’s a moot point since I don’t drink anymore.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You fight, but do you dare to dream?

I absolutely cannot fight in my dreams. My fists brush harmlessly against my foes’ chins, and every time I’m carrying a gun either the safety gets stuck or it misfires or it explodes in my hand.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I absolutely cannot fight in my dreams. My fists brush harmlessly against my foes’ chins, and every time I’m carrying a gun either the safety gets stuck or it misfires or it explodes in my hand.

I am the 100% opposite. All I do is fight in dreams, and I fight everyone and everything and always somehow come out on top at the bloody end.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Nigmaetcetera posted:

every time I’m carrying a gun either the safety gets stuck or it misfires or it explodes in my hand.

Right? Guns never work in dreams - until they do! I shot a guy in the head the other night. Then I was on the run for murder.

naem
May 29, 2011

I dreamt that the red haired lady from the show True Blood (which I’ve never watched) told me she wanted to drink my blood, she was very insistent

I was riding a bike and was fast enough to get away from her but also had a dream girlfriend on the bike with me, and I was torn because while I didn’t want to die my dream girlfriend wasn’t anywhere near as attractive as the red haired lady

and then we went down a steep hill and I thought “how are we going to pedal fast enough to avoid the vampires if we have to go back up this steep hill” and then I couldn’t pedal at all, because of the chemical your body produces to paralyze you while asleep, and I had sleep paralysis until I woke having kicked all the covers off my bed

so yeah, I can prob fight p good

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

I dreamt that the red haired lady from the show True Blood (which I’ve never watched) told me she wanted to drink my blood, she was very insistent

I was riding a bike and was fast enough to get away from her but also had a dream girlfriend on the bike with me, and I was torn because while I didn’t want to die my dream girlfriend wasn’t anywhere near as attractive as the red haired lady

and then we went down a steep hill and I thought “how are we going to pedal fast enough to avoid the vampires if we have to go back up this steep hill” and then I couldn’t pedal at all, because of the chemical your body produces to paralyze you while asleep, and I had sleep paralysis until I woke having kicked all the covers off my bed

so yeah, I can prob fight p good

So You're A Vampire......

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

naem posted:

because of the chemical your body produces to paralyze you while asleep

I blame this chemical for my inability to effectively slug somebody in my dreams. If my actual arms could move in concert with my dream arms, I could probably decapitate my foes with one blow.

Like, even when I have lucid dreams I know I’m incapable of harming anything, it sucks.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 9, 2024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

Wrestling actually seems like the true killer fighting form. All other forms of fighting fail when they meet a tough wrestler.

Yes but also no. There's no one true killer fighting form. It depends on the context and use case, the environment, etc.

I'm not talking about ring fighting, though. You can watch the UFC to get an idea of what works in combat sports, but the UFC is not Real Life. You know your opponent - you've studied them. You have a constrained area and can use it to your advantage, or be disadvantaged. You have a safety check, the ref, in there with you. You can't do certain things. You have your corner yelling at you to do this or that, and they are 3rd party observers that will see things you can't and advise you.

Think of it this way- where are you fighting? Do you know you're about to be in a fight? Are there multiple people involved? What's the terrain like? Are weapons a possibility? What is the end goal - do you want to just knock a mofo out, or do you have to maim or kill them? Will they come after you the next day even if you "win"? Is your opponent on drugs so pain compliance will likely not work?

A good example of this is Silat. In the Indonesian arts, "Silat" can be considered an umbrella term. Under that, you have stuff like Serak, mande muda, harimau, and tons of others. There are so many islands in the region with differing terrain, that one art might be better suited in one place than in another. Is your island especially wet? If so, you probably won't be standing up much when you fight, so your art has a bunch of kneeling and grappling. Is the island rocky? Well, you probably don't want to fight on the ground. Are you a farmer? Welp, you (and your opponent) likely have machetes, so Kali is the art you're familiar with.

Say for instance you're a fisherman, and you find yourself in a confrontation on the docks. You and your opponent both have one or more knives. Is it enough to just knock the dude out? If you do, he's just going to get angry and come back the next day, maybe with friends. You might be better off hitting him in the liver or spleen to do damage and make the fight easier, then break his ankle with a sweep and push him off the dock into the water. He won't be able to fish, or fight, for quite a while. Or maybe you just break some ribs and push him into the water where he drowns. You didn't kill him - you defended yourself and he drowned. Oopsie.

That's an extreme example, but I've seen old fishermen in the Philippines get into scraps where their knives come out.

Another example - The high, jumping kicks in Tae Kwon Do were partly developed because battles often took place on horse back, so you might have to knock your foe off of his mount first.

In a bar fight, do you really want to grapple with BJJ while some other dude is breaking a bottle over your head? Is there already broken glass everywhere? I've been there, it sucks.

In the end, it's not really down to the style of fighting. Rather, it's understanding body mechanics and physics and how to apply them in hosed up situations. That comes with a lot of training and you need to have experience in the Big Four facets of fighting - range, speed, timing, and sensitivity. Different arts approach those in different ways, and sometimes not at all.

For example:
Boxing = timing, speed
Kali (stick and knife fighting) = range, timing
BJJ, Wing Chung, wrestling = sensitivity, removing and creating space

Of course, natural athleticism and strength make a difference. Being Big And Mean can you take you far in a fight. An NFL linebacker would be a tough opponent - they are used to taking a lot of punishment and are strong.

Weapons change the game dramatically, too. You should expect your opponent to have a knife. Not assume, but expect it. BJJ ain't gonna do poo poo if I can get to my knife because, as I was taught, a knife should be felt, not seen.

And luck can be the final arbiter. A lucky punch can make all your training moot.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 9, 2024

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Has anyone posted the bas rutten self defense video yet

A highlight video just in case not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mosX7L25HV8

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Lol. Making sound effects when you're training is one of the best parts of learning martial arts.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
My cat knocked me out once.

I had to go to work the next day with a black eye and tell my coworkers that my cat beat me up.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

isaboo posted:

Lol. Making sound effects when you're training is one of the best parts of learning martial arts.

My Master (The best Master, shout out to Grandmaster Kim!) strongly taught us to make as little noise as possible, except for effect.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

My Master (The best Master, shout out to Grandmaster Kim!) strongly taught us to make as little noise as possible, except for effect.

What style were you learning?

The best sound effects martial arts guy I ever knew was an Aikido master named Carmen. When he was instructing, every action was accompanied with a "SWOOSH" or "B-KOW!" type of noise, much like the old Batman tv show. Here's a dumb story I posted in another subforum about Carmen and my experience learning DIM MAK - the Death Touch.

-----

I did learn the famous Death Touch. Sort of.

This story is lame unless you're a total martial arts nerd, and it still is even then. But it was funny to 21 year old me at the time.

I was dabbling in Aikido, and went to a seminar held by Carmen, a senior Aikido instructor. At the end of the first day's session, someone jokingly brought up Dim Mak - the Death Touch.

The aikido master suddenly stopped and stared at us all, and told us to sit in a circle.

"The death touch is very real," he said. "I will teach you the first level."

We were loving stoked. We had no idea what he was about to do, but just the thought of learning something, anything, obscure and secret was like crack to us.

He led us in a breathing exercise that lasted, hmm, probably 20 minutes or so. He'd occasionally say something like "feel all the chi energy flow through you" blah blah blah.

"Place your right thumb on the mat. Imagine all that energy flowing through you, to that one point. Breathe.... flow.... breathe.... flow"

The air was electric. It was like being in an evangelical church. We were all breathing in unison, all in the same state, ready to loving KILL WITH ONE TOUCH.

"Press the mat with your thumb.... flow... breathe...."

"There. You can now kill an ant."

Our first reaction was a large collective exhale, followed by everyone bursting into laughter.

He built us up, and completely pulled the mat out from under us, so to speak.

I got to know him a little after that, and he's how I got to work with Steven Seagal and later, Wesley Snipes.

Carmen was working with the choreographer of Seagal's Under Siege film, and wanted to try a few things out. I'm about 1/2" taller than Steven, and they needed someone about the same size to spar with so I was a good match. I don't think anything we came up with ended up in the film, but it was a fun experience.

Steven didn't like me from the start, because, and I say this in all seriousness, I'm everything he wishes he was (except wealthy and famous). I mean personally - not professionally or martial arts-wise. That and I called him out for putting his hands on someone he shouldn't have. Years later, I saw him at a seminar and I told him that his Aikido was just fake Silat. That really pissed him off, lol.

Anyway that's my Steven Seagal and Death Touch story.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
yeah op i learned how to fight from nickleodeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvJj-kpmsdM

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Oh you practice martial arts? That's cute, maybe you can paint me a picture. I do martial science

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

isaboo posted:

I'm about 1/2" taller than Steven

You're 6'9?

Wait - that's inches. Sorry.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Hambulance posted:

My cat knocked me out once.

I had to go to work the next day with a black eye and tell my coworkers that my cat beat me up.

Typical reaction of victims to DV. It’s not your fault.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Or do you mean “cat” like the drummer in your jazz combo?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Did anyone make the "I see red" joke already

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

feelix posted:

Did anyone make the "I see red" joke already
One time I literally saw red. I had dysentery and was hallucinating.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Anyone can fight. But can you, love?

FTFY. :allears:

:wink:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

isaboo posted:

What style were you learning?

The best sound effects martial arts guy I ever knew was an Aikido master named Carmen. When he was instructing, every action was accompanied with a "SWOOSH" or "B-KOW!" type of noise, much like the old Batman tv show. Here's a dumb story I posted in another subforum about Carmen and my experience learning DIM MAK - the Death Touch.

-----

I did learn the famous Death Touch. Sort of.

This story is lame unless you're a total martial arts nerd, and it still is even then. But it was funny to 21 year old me at the time.

I was dabbling in Aikido, and went to a seminar held by Carmen, a senior Aikido instructor. At the end of the first day's session, someone jokingly brought up Dim Mak - the Death Touch.

The aikido master suddenly stopped and stared at us all, and told us to sit in a circle.

"The death touch is very real," he said. "I will teach you the first level."

We were loving stoked. We had no idea what he was about to do, but just the thought of learning something, anything, obscure and secret was like crack to us.

He led us in a breathing exercise that lasted, hmm, probably 20 minutes or so. He'd occasionally say something like "feel all the chi energy flow through you" blah blah blah.

"Place your right thumb on the mat. Imagine all that energy flowing through you, to that one point. Breathe.... flow.... breathe.... flow"

The air was electric. It was like being in an evangelical church. We were all breathing in unison, all in the same state, ready to loving KILL WITH ONE TOUCH.

"Press the mat with your thumb.... flow... breathe...."

"There. You can now kill an ant."

Our first reaction was a large collective exhale, followed by everyone bursting into laughter.

He built us up, and completely pulled the mat out from under us, so to speak.

I got to know him a little after that, and he's how I got to work with Steven Seagal and later, Wesley Snipes.

Carmen was working with the choreographer of Seagal's Under Siege film, and wanted to try a few things out. I'm about 1/2" taller than Steven, and they needed someone about the same size to spar with so I was a good match. I don't think anything we came up with ended up in the film, but it was a fun experience.

Steven didn't like me from the start, because, and I say this in all seriousness, I'm everything he wishes he was (except wealthy and famous). I mean personally - not professionally or martial arts-wise. That and I called him out for putting his hands on someone he shouldn't have. Years later, I saw him at a seminar and I told him that his Aikido was just fake Silat. That really pissed him off, lol.

Anyway that's my Steven Seagal and Death Touch story.

lol cool story, as is to be expected.

I learned Tae Kwan Do. The school is Jae H Kim right next to Fenway Park in Boston. I deeply respect the man.

Apr 9, 2024
Every.Single. Thing. is a fight, yet it takes these people 45 seconds to spool up to a fight

Apr 9, 2024
spooled up, but for a decade

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Reminder that The Official GBS Judo Megathread exists. Would love to hear from some Judokas there!

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
every fight I had as an adult took place in a hospital
they were very unfair because youre not allowed to fight in the hospital

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Carlos Lantana posted:

every fight I had as an adult took place in a hospital
they were very unfair because youre not allowed to fight in the hospital

Hospital fights are some of the saddest. Cuz you know they are all fueled by sadness and loss.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I got in a fistfight a couple weeks ago, my black eye is almost gone. Dude punched me in the temple with a ring and had to endure the rest of the fight looking at it while I didn't react to it, because my only fight skill is taking hits. He landed another good haymaker on my cheek but I busted his lip on his tooth while spraining my finger, then horse collared him and half-stripped his shirt and jacket off of him before it got broken up.

The last time I got in a fistfight was 17 years ago, and I took exactly the same lesson this time as last: nobody wins.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

I got in a fistfight a couple weeks ago, my black eye is almost gone. Dude punched me in the temple with a ring and had to endure the rest of the fight looking at it while I didn't react to it, because my only fight skill is taking hits. He landed another good haymaker on my cheek but I busted his lip on his tooth while spraining my finger, then horse collared him and half-stripped his shirt and jacket off of him before it got broken up.

The last time I got in a fistfight was 17 years ago, and I took exactly the same lesson this time as last: nobody wins.

Why the fight?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

Why the fight?

Someone needed to be told they were being disrespectful to my household and myself, and the way I went about it was TELLING THEM WHAT THE gently caress I THINK ABOUT YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Someone needed to be told they were being disrespectful to my household and myself, and the way I went about it was TELLING THEM WHAT THE gently caress I THINK ABOUT YOU

So your fault? You instigated the fight?