Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Throws a small homemade flashbang just for testing....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

*Throws a small homemade flashbang just for testing....

*Disappears in a puff of NINJA SMOKE

(I had so much ninja poo poo when I was a kid, it was absurd)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

isaboo posted:

*Disappears in a puff of NINJA SMOKE

(I had so much ninja poo poo when I was a kid, it was absurd)

lol I read a book about "Indians" when I was a child, how they walked silently through the forest. And I believed.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I did security for a dildo shop and once chased someone down who tried to shoplift a dong.

Guy threw the dong at me and I caught it and continue to chase him till eventual arrest.

Cops were roaring laughing while I explained the book as a couple 911 calls came in for the area about someone chasing a person with a dildo in one hand and handcuffs in the other.

And no. That is not irony or a joke. My wife hates when that story comes up somehow in polite conversation

I work from home too

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Pro tip:

A good, super bright flashlight is a decent self defense tool. If you're walking to your car alone in dim light, you can use it to scout your path. It also WILL gently caress up an assailant's vision so you can kick them in their balls and run away. I used this one all the time as a bouncer:
https://www.surefire.com/e2d-defender/

It's pricey for a flashlight but it's the last one you'll ever need to buy. The beveled edges make it a great striking weapon too. Also you can carry it anywhere. I've taken mine on planes without a problem.

One dude I threw out of a bar after blinding him with it said "that's brighter than the word of GAWD!" He literally went to his knees when I flashed it at him.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 11, 2024

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

isaboo posted:

Pro tip:

A good, super bright flashlight is a decent self defense tool. If you're walking to your car alone in dim light, you can use it to scout your path. It also WILL gently caress up an assailant's vision so you can kick them in their balls and run away. I used this one all the time as a bouncer:
https://www.surefire.com/e2d-defender/

It's pricey for a flashlight but it's the last one you'll ever need to buy. The beveled edges make it a great striking weapon too. Also you can carry it anywhere. I've taken mine on planes without a problem.

One dude I threw out of a bar after blinding him with it said "that's brighter than the word of GAWD!" He literally went to his knees when I flashed it at him.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Lol, yeah. I've seen that before. It is a handy and effective tool in the right situation but I'm not gonna endorse it as a fighting tool that necessitates taking a course.

E: ha! Looks like that dude is also carrying a small malong, or handkerchief, in his back pocket. That can be a useful tool also.

I used a bar towel for the same thing on occasion.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 11, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol this guy gets it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I also got taken out by a giant mag flashlight when I was 17 so this topic is close to my heart.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

redshirt posted:

I also got taken out by a giant mag flashlight when I was 17 so this topic is close to my heart.

same. had to have 16 stitches. got jumped in front of my dorm while really drunk. it loving sucked. i hope those guys have since been orphaned and died from covid or something

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
All i know about fighting is that the person who takes off their shirt usually loses hilariously.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Rad-daddio posted:

All i know about fighting is that the person who takes off their shirt usually loses hilariously.

You say that but clothes can be a disadvantage!

I mostly kid, but I have pulled a visor cap down over someone's eyes while ejecting them from a club.

And one time I saw another bouncer use a dude's oversized button down shirt to trap the guy's arm while dealing with him.

And a tie is just something else to grab!

isaboo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 11, 2024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Another often overlooked improvised self defense tool is the humble cigarette lighter!

At a particularly nasty strip club I worked at, strippers would use one if a lap dance went sideways and the customer got too aggressive. A lighter to the chin, or hell, any part of the body will likely make an aggressor stop whatever they're doing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

isaboo posted:

You say that but clothes can be a disadvantage!

I mostly kid, but I have pulled a visor cap down over someone's eyes while ejecting them from a club.

And one time I saw another bouncer use a dude's oversized button down shirt to trap the guy's arm while dealing with him.

And a tie is just something else to grab!

In my last actual real fight, which was to the death, I lost one of my shoes. It sucked! I was running after their car hobbling with tunnel vision.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

If I had to fight Saalkin, I'd demolish him

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Smugworth posted:

If I had to fight Saalkin, I'd demolish him

Why do you think that? Please list 2 concrete reasons.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

In my last actual real fight, which was to the death, I lost one of my shoes. It sucked! I was running after their car hobbling with tunnel vision.

Fun fact: Savate takes it's name from the French term for "old shoe". Traditional, old style Savate dudes used heavy boots and shoes. Most of the kicks in Savate are low and almost never above the groin.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

isaboo posted:

Fun fact: Savate takes it's name from the French term for "old shoe". Traditional, old style Savate dudes used heavy boots and shoes. Most of the kicks in Savate are low and almost never above the groin.

lol Le Art of Ball Kicking

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

redshirt posted:

Why do you think that? Please list 2 concrete reasons.

He's weak, both physically, and mentally

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Smugworth posted:

He's weak, both physically, and mentally

And this somehow means you will fight him??

Sounds like Bully Behavior, Bub.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Wear loose clothes, as the honey badger has taught us, having a loose external sheath allows someone to grab you and use that as a pivot point to swing around and devastate your attacker with a rising dragon fist.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

POCKET SAND HACHACHACHA

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Do you think your Wu Tang sword can defeat me??

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lost a fight today, need to revise my opinion

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I can fight. poorly

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

I can fight. poorly

Summarize it. What could you have done differently?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I could have won

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

when they go high, don't also go high

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hmm.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Fun facts:
The awesome film Ong Bak features not only muay Thai, but also some of the older Thai arts such as muay Boran and Ling Lom. The latter incorporates a lot of jumping maneuvers.

Goon favorite film The Raid is chock full of Silat.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Rad-daddio posted:

what u say bro!??!?

*takes off shirt*

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i wouldnt take off my shirt in a fight because i am not comfortable with my body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgi3ZvolkRQ

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Bonus fun fact (?):

I'm not sure if this is true, but supposedly the fighting style in the original "V" tv series (about the lizard aliens invading Earth) was inspired by Silat. The idea was that the art is so complicated and varied (and unknown to western viewers), that only aliens could have invented it.

It's been so long since I've seen it that I can't even remember any fight scenes at all. This claim is probably bullshit but it made me laugh when an old Silat teacher told me.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The best thing you can do in any fight is to hit first and hard and try to end it there. Lol at doing any kind of fancy poo poo.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I would bring a gun

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The best thing you can do in any fight is to hit first and hard and try to end it there. Lol at doing any kind of fancy poo poo.

While this is true, and it's what I drill into my students, people forget that the other guy is thinking the same thing and probably has just as much adrenaline in them as you do.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I still think a block should be the first move. Knowing that the other guy will want to strike first. You block, he's exposed, you counter punch and finish it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Blocking is what learning fighting really teaches you. Most folks don't have defense in their fighting toolbag.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Their toolbag is the first thing I go for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Very important to learn to disassociate the surprise of being hit with the pain of being hit. You want 'ow, ok' not 'ow, what do I do'.