Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

redshirt posted:

If push comes to shove and the poo poo is on the line, can you fight?

I mean, I'm out of shape and fat... but....

I have been in MANY fights in my life time
I play for keeps
I am trained in Army combatives, some fundamentals of Judo and knife fighting, and a little MMA.
I can take a good punch. Have many times.

So.... probably?

[Edit]: As a general rule I don't like to get to that point these days, it's potentially career and life ending, and it's just not worth it. But if pushed, all things are possible.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

redshirt posted:

Have you faced THE poo poo?

Depends. Had my life threatened? Twice. Defend myself in my own home in a fist fight, at least once. Win every fight I've been in? Not a fuckin' chance. I know this is a shitpost thread, but real talk, what would you define as THE poo poo?

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

redshirt posted:

To the death. A fight you must fight.

I've been fortunate (or unfortunate?) that both times my life was threatened were with handguns, not in a fight for my life. But I WOULD fight that fight, to be certain.

I didn't count the time the cops drew on me after asking for my ID when I was 17, so I guess that's three times I've had guns pointed at me.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

redshirt posted:

For one glorious moment I fought every cop the City of Boston could throw at me.

Didn't know GTA had a Boston entry.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

redshirt posted:

ATTN: REAL ADVICE

The first move I will always make in any sort of confrontation or fight is a block. I will block their flailing hook, their angry charge, their raised gun.

The block is the best offense in a fight. If it works, your opponent is now wide open to any kind of counter punch you'd like.

For example: Bar Bro charges with a right hook.

Blocked with a left upper forearm block. Leaving that bro fully open for a counterstrike of whatever I choose. Like a quick jab to the chin or nose.

I'm different. I usually try to crowd the opponent, provided there are no weapons involved (and possible if melee weapons are). Closer you are, the less power your oponent can put into their punches/swings, in most cases. You're not an expert fighter, so you are GOING to get punched. Better to get punched where it just gives you a bruise than a potential knockout where you're open and vulnerable. And since most fights end on the ground, you'll already be in a position to be the one in control as that happens.

Entering a fight with open hands rather than closed fists actually isn't a bad idea a lot of times, either, as you can keep yourself open to grapple, deflect, and still be able to punch if you need to.

After all, ultimately, a fist fight that doesn't end in knockout or serious injury just drags on and on. Your're better off trying to get a leg, and arm, or the neck. Barring that, if you can get on top and start controlling their hands, chest, and head, you've most likely won the fght.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 10, 2024

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Szyznyk posted:

Take a walk, I got 17 rounds in this Glock.

That is one solution.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Szyznyk posted:

It’s why you can’t even have a good old fashioned fist fight anymore.

At least down here in the South, holds true.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

redshirt posted:

Having shot enough in target practice, I know that shooting a target is pretty hard. And doing so while amped up emotionally?

Very true. small guns shoot hard. My snub can be a handful unless shooting wadcutters, for example. But with those, you can just about hipfire and hit, old school FBI style.

But guns are worthless small arms, when you can bring out THE BIG GUNS!

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

I am fairly large, but my pain tolerance is non-existent and I'm naturally cowardly and hate conflict, so, maybe if I was in animal in a corner desperation I could do a thing or two, but odds are no, I cannot fight.

I once read somewhere that the problem with 'fighting' is that even if you learn martial arts or boxing or MMA, even if you're very good at that sort of thing, that it doesn't really prepare you for 'a fight' because you'd normally use what you'd learned in contests where there's a structure and rules, whereas there's no rules in 'a fight'. Hence, the only way to get good at 'fighting' is the same way you get good at anything else; experience, ie, you get into a lot of fights. The problem is, most people's innate empathy means they resist, on some level, hurting their fellow person, so the kind of people who get 'the fighting experience' are the types who have very poor impulse control and low, if non-existent empathy, and against those sorts, you're basically screwed before you start a lot of the time. The best way for the average person to get into such a headspace, ie force down their empathy so they don't hold back, in ANY way, subconscious or not, is to get drunk or thoroughly whacked on some kind of drug. Which is bad for its own obvious reasons.

That may be true to a point, though I would say that drugs/drink are not required for the correct fighting mindset. What is required are two things: Acceptance that you will be taking damage as a routine matter of course, and the acceptance that you're not stopping until the other person isn't resisting, period. And when I say those things, I don't mean like, you're consciously thinking about it. I mean, it is a definite and absolute certainty in that moment that both things are true.

The lack of empathy comes in when people go further even than that, inflicting further punishment on an opponent who can't fight back. That's the scary poo poo, and that's the reason one should avoid physical conflict if they can, because many people don't have that sort of impulse control.

I wouldn't put much stock in people's "innate empathy."

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

redshirt posted:

There are good honest to innocent civilians out there....

Tracking. But not generally when you're at the point of getting in a fight. You don't usually get in fights with people who are acting in the moment as reasonable civilians. And you shouldn't trust that they are when they're actively trying to punch you in the face until you fall to the ground.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

isaboo posted:

Most of the many, many encounters I've had have not ended up on the ground. I think fights between unskilled fighters do, though. Or in an asymmetric fight where some poor sap is getting clowned on by someone who is skilled.

Also, realize that martial arts is a set of perishable skills. If you don't keep it up, you'll get sloppy.

Suppose it depends, most of the ones I've ever been in had, both before and after I had some training. In any case, I usually intend to take it to the ground, personally. You just have more options and control, generally.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Smugworth posted:

don't come near me
I'll shoot

Bang Bang Skeet Skeet This is America! Gunfightin' time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

If you’re afraid of knife attacks I recommend cardio

First rule of knife fighting: you ARE getting stabbed.