Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
All i know about fighting is that the person who takes off their shirt usually loses hilariously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Krav Maga seems cool to me bc they always talked about on Archer.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I prefer to let my sparkling conversational skills get me out of jams.

*gets stabbed by a hobo*

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Back when I was a pre teen, my best friend and I were getting bullied by this kid who was a couple years older than us.

We were just nerdy kids, so we didn't really know how to handle it. Later on, his mom saw the kid picking on us and she grabbed him by the back of his shirt, yelled at him and walked him all the way back to his parents while he wailed and cried.

So I guess my go to fighting stance is to have my friend's mom kick your rear end?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
i think it would be fun to get beaten up by old timey street toughs.

just guys with slacks and suspenders and mid Atlantic accents just beating the ever loving poo poo out of me.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Thanks for the KM info.

My main interest in self defense is a mortal fear of knife attacks. Honestly whatever style or discipline is the best for thwarting and then evading an attacker would be perfect for me.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

isaboo posted:

Serious question - why do you have a mortal fear of a knife attack? Do you live a hosed up lifestyle or in an area where that poo poo happens?

IMO try Silat first, Kali second. Silat (at least the styles I've done; there are several hundred) is generally focused on being closer to a blade than kali.
Kali is unique in that you will start weapons training right away. On day one you'll have a baton and probably a blade handed to you. Empty hand training comes later.

As with any fighting system - Krav Maga, BJJ, Karate, whatever - if you don't train with weapons you're not training in a realistic manner for the street. And you need to do it consistently - the skills are perishable.

If you're serious, PM me and tell me where you're located and I might be able to recommend someone in your area especially if you're in the US.

I've ran away from a blade, I've been cut and I've done the cutting. It really comes down to the encounter and how it starts. Again, there's no real "knife fighting" in the modern era but there are ways to mitigate the danger of someone pulling out a knife.

The first time I ever got cut was while training with live blades. It wasn't a very bad cut but it wasn't fun. IMO, if whatever knife discipline you're learning doesn't break out the live blades once in a while it's not worth it. We obviously don't go at full speed and power, but even at 30-40% intensity it's eye opening. You'll gain a healthy respect for what you should and shouldn't attempt.

Serious answer; I watched a video of some guy in NYC who confronted a dude who was having some kind of mental health crisis and was damaging cars.

The guy who got stabbed was sitting on a nearby bench with his date, and went over to confront the guy and promptly got stabbed and bled out.

Also, back when my kids were in scouts we got back from a camping trip and our sleeping bags were soaked from getting rained on. Another dad went to a local laundromat to dry his and his son's gear out and suggested I do the same. I just went home and hung my stuff out to dry. Anyhoo, he got confronted by an aggressive panhandler at the laundromat, some kind of fight ensued and he got stabbed and bled out.

...I guess it's a legit phobia for me. So my main SD goal would be to be able to defuse/avoid/evade any situation where a knife gets brought out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

redshirt posted:

I successfully fought off a guy (and buddy) with a knife in DC. I got slashed on my forearms and once on my chest, but nothing serious.

That's hot. Chicks dig scars.