Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I used to make a living doing it and teaching others how, so yes.

It's really a quite dumb thing to do, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Internetjack posted:

You know you've found a good self-defense teacher when the first thing you are taught is, "Get a good pair of running shoes".

Yeah. Also, a good instructor will teach you situational awareness so you're less likely to find yourself in a bad predicament to begin with. And I mean awareness both before and during an encounter.

AcidCat posted:

Pocket Sand

shi-sha!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

STABASS posted:

My mastery of the Northern Mantis Fist has resulted in over 200 spectacular knock-outs. Who was knocked out? Why does that matter?

For the best (and I mean worst) names for techniques, look no further than Kenpo Karate. Kenpo is fun and a good way to learn basic principles and body mechanics (provided you have a good teacher), but it's also very dumb. I got my first black belt in it when I was a young lad. Here's a sampling of technique names and a couple of goofy rear end videos from what looks like a lovely instructor:

Scraping Hoof
Striking Serpent’s Head
Cross of Destruction
Gift in Return
Menacing Twirl
Heavenly Ascent
Thrust into Darkness
Fatal Deviation
Reprimanding the Bears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcRMAZ7EEig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KDvQBpg6nI

lol it's soooo bad. kenpo sucks

isaboo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 9, 2024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

"Pack it up Pack it in"

Ah yes, that's a 9th degree black belt Kenpo technique

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I need some time to power up my special beam cannon

lol the creativity of 13 year old boys coming up with new names for Kenpo techniques is beyond reproach. we had a ton of fun with that.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Also, there are big differences between fighting, brawling, and self defense. What works in one case may not work in another.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

lol. What other Black Belts do you have?

I have a black belt in BJJ. The other arts I enjoy and teach don't have belts, but have titles for instructors. I'm an Ajarn in muay Thai, Lakan Guro in Kali, and Pembantu Guru in Silat.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've got experience in other poo poo as well - wing chun, Savate (french kickboxing), Lethwei (think muay Thai but with headbutts). My favorites by far are muay Thai, Silat, and Kali.
My wife is Thai and her dad was in the Thai army and taught me a bunch of the more traditional Thai arts, too. Fandab, Ler Drit, Krabi Krabong, and Muay Boran. Muay Thai is essentially distilled Muay Boran for ring fighting.

I've done a little Aikido but it sucks and so does Steven Seagal. I haven't done any Kung Fu or much Japanese or Okinawan Karate though. Or much Judo. If I had to start all over, I'd probably make Judo my first art.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

Wrestling actually seems like the true killer fighting form. All other forms of fighting fail when they meet a tough wrestler.

Yes but also no. There's no one true killer fighting form. It depends on the context and use case, the environment, etc.

I'm not talking about ring fighting, though. You can watch the UFC to get an idea of what works in combat sports, but the UFC is not Real Life. You know your opponent - you've studied them. You have a constrained area and can use it to your advantage, or be disadvantaged. You have a safety check, the ref, in there with you. You can't do certain things. You have your corner yelling at you to do this or that, and they are 3rd party observers that will see things you can't and advise you.

Think of it this way- where are you fighting? Do you know you're about to be in a fight? Are there multiple people involved? What's the terrain like? Are weapons a possibility? What is the end goal - do you want to just knock a mofo out, or do you have to maim or kill them? Will they come after you the next day even if you "win"? Is your opponent on drugs so pain compliance will likely not work?

A good example of this is Silat. In the Indonesian arts, "Silat" can be considered an umbrella term. Under that, you have stuff like Serak, mande muda, harimau, and tons of others. There are so many islands in the region with differing terrain, that one art might be better suited in one place than in another. Is your island especially wet? If so, you probably won't be standing up much when you fight, so your art has a bunch of kneeling and grappling. Is the island rocky? Well, you probably don't want to fight on the ground. Are you a farmer? Welp, you (and your opponent) likely have machetes, so Kali is the art you're familiar with.

Say for instance you're a fisherman, and you find yourself in a confrontation on the docks. You and your opponent both have one or more knives. Is it enough to just knock the dude out? If you do, he's just going to get angry and come back the next day, maybe with friends. You might be better off hitting him in the liver or spleen to do damage and make the fight easier, then break his ankle with a sweep and push him off the dock into the water. He won't be able to fish, or fight, for quite a while. Or maybe you just break some ribs and push him into the water where he drowns. You didn't kill him - you defended yourself and he drowned. Oopsie.

That's an extreme example, but I've seen old fishermen in the Philippines get into scraps where their knives come out.

Another example - The high, jumping kicks in Tae Kwon Do were partly developed because battles often took place on horse back, so you might have to knock your foe off of his mount first.

In a bar fight, do you really want to grapple with BJJ while some other dude is breaking a bottle over your head? Is there already broken glass everywhere? I've been there, it sucks.

In the end, it's not really down to the style of fighting. Rather, it's understanding body mechanics and physics and how to apply them in hosed up situations. That comes with a lot of training and you need to have experience in the Big Four facets of fighting - range, speed, timing, and sensitivity. Different arts approach those in different ways, and sometimes not at all.

For example:
Boxing = timing, speed
Kali (stick and knife fighting) = range, timing
BJJ, Wing Chung, wrestling = sensitivity, removing and creating space

Of course, natural athleticism and strength make a difference. Being Big And Mean can you take you far in a fight. An NFL linebacker would be a tough opponent - they are used to taking a lot of punishment and are strong.

Weapons change the game dramatically, too. You should expect your opponent to have a knife. Not assume, but expect it. BJJ ain't gonna do poo poo if I can get to my knife because, as I was taught, a knife should be felt, not seen.

And luck can be the final arbiter. A lucky punch can make all your training moot.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 9, 2024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Lol. Making sound effects when you're training is one of the best parts of learning martial arts.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

My Master (The best Master, shout out to Grandmaster Kim!) strongly taught us to make as little noise as possible, except for effect.

What style were you learning?

The best sound effects martial arts guy I ever knew was an Aikido master named Carmen. When he was instructing, every action was accompanied with a "SWOOSH" or "B-KOW!" type of noise, much like the old Batman tv show. Here's a dumb story I posted in another subforum about Carmen and my experience learning DIM MAK - the Death Touch.

-----

I did learn the famous Death Touch. Sort of.

This story is lame unless you're a total martial arts nerd, and it still is even then. But it was funny to 21 year old me at the time.

I was dabbling in Aikido, and went to a seminar held by Carmen, a senior Aikido instructor. At the end of the first day's session, someone jokingly brought up Dim Mak - the Death Touch.

The aikido master suddenly stopped and stared at us all, and told us to sit in a circle.

"The death touch is very real," he said. "I will teach you the first level."

We were loving stoked. We had no idea what he was about to do, but just the thought of learning something, anything, obscure and secret was like crack to us.

He led us in a breathing exercise that lasted, hmm, probably 20 minutes or so. He'd occasionally say something like "feel all the chi energy flow through you" blah blah blah.

"Place your right thumb on the mat. Imagine all that energy flowing through you, to that one point. Breathe.... flow.... breathe.... flow"

The air was electric. It was like being in an evangelical church. We were all breathing in unison, all in the same state, ready to loving KILL WITH ONE TOUCH.

"Press the mat with your thumb.... flow... breathe...."

"There. You can now kill an ant."

Our first reaction was a large collective exhale, followed by everyone bursting into laughter.

He built us up, and completely pulled the mat out from under us, so to speak.

I got to know him a little after that, and he's how I got to work with Steven Seagal and later, Wesley Snipes.

Carmen was working with the choreographer of Seagal's Under Siege film, and wanted to try a few things out. I'm about 1/2" taller than Steven, and they needed someone about the same size to spar with so I was a good match. I don't think anything we came up with ended up in the film, but it was a fun experience.

Steven didn't like me from the start, because, and I say this in all seriousness, I'm everything he wishes he was (except wealthy and famous). I mean personally - not professionally or martial arts-wise. That and I called him out for putting his hands on someone he shouldn't have. Years later, I saw him at a seminar and I told him that his Aikido was just fake Silat. That really pissed him off, lol.

Anyway that's my Steven Seagal and Death Touch story.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

ATTN: REAL ADVICE

The first move I will always make in any sort of confrontation or fight is a block. I will block their flailing hook, their angry charge, their raised gun.

The block is the best offense in a fight. If it works, your opponent is now wide open to any kind of counter punch you'd like.

For example: Bar Bro charges with a right hook.

Blocked with a left upper forearm block. Leaving that bro fully open for a counterstrike of whatever I choose. Like a quick jab to the chin or nose.

Just make sure that whatever action you take actually manipulates their body in some way.

In your example, simply throwing up a block doesn't really change their attack pattern unless you, for example, cause their right arm to to fly backwards, moving that side of their body away from you.

But then you need to be wary of that action causing the left side of their body (e.g. their left hand) to come at you. It can be from just sheer momentum.

I remember something that blew my loving mind when I was about 15 and learning Kenpo. I blocked a right straight punch, on the outside of their arm with my left forearm, and he just simply folded his arm at his elbow. The momentum carried him forward, and I ate the elbow.

The problem was that I blocked his arm slightly below his elbow, on his forearm. Gotta make sure you block above or on the elbow.

Lol, then later in life I got into cimande for a while, which is all about smashing the gently caress out of whatever comes at you with your conditioned forearms and fists. Then it didn't matter how or where you blocked.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 10, 2024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Most of the many, many encounters I've had have not ended up on the ground. I think fights between unskilled fighters do, though. Or in an asymmetric fight where some poor sap is getting clowned on by someone who is skilled.

Also, realize that martial arts is a set of perishable skills. If you don't keep it up, you'll get sloppy.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
If any of y'all want to learn self-defense, check out Master Ken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyXhysmMNhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVblMBRwBLQ&t=166s

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Story time!

I've seen some wild poo poo, mostly when I was a bouncer and when I was a bodyguard. A few things that come to mind are -

When I was working at a strip club, I and another bouncer ejected a couple of guys who were arguing over one of the girls. They got into a tussle inside but it was easy to break up. We threw them out, and they started going at it even harder in the parking lot. One of the guys seemed to have some skill - I'm pretty sure he boxed. Anyway, he was getting the better of the second guy. The boxer hit him a bunch, then slammed him up against a truck. When the second dude hit the hood, he bent the antenna. Seeing that, he grabbed it and snapped it completely off. He swung the antenna and caught the boxer on the forearm, enough to cut it open. He looked at what he did, looked at the antenna in his hand, realized what he could do, and went completely ape-poo poo on the boxer with the antenna. He cut the boxer on his legs, arms, and chest. It was pretty nasty.

One time I was riding in my friend Jason's car, and Jason accidentally cut off a guy on the interstate. This was in Atlanta where drivers are legit insane and aggressive and full of road rage. It really was an honest mistake - Jason didn't see the guy. The dude got beside us, yelling and screaming at Jason. We sped up and thought we left him behind. Anyway, we pulled into a gas station to fill up, and the guy pulled into the station behind us. He got out of his car and without saying a word, he pulled a knife and charged at Jason. Now, Jason was a very skilled muay Thai fighter and had done some Kali with me too. The guy thrust his knife at Jason... Jason saw it coming and just barely deflected it enough that it missed an artery but he still got stabbed. Jason followed the natural motion of bringing his arm down, circled it back around to the front, and thrust his fingers right into the dude's eye. Split it open. The guy immediately dropped to the ground and screamed, holding his face. The gas station attendant saw what happened and called the cops. When the police got there, they basically told Jason "Good job". Jason said the eye juice on his fingers felt like olive oil. They ended up in court but it was a clear case of self defense, so Jason didn't get in trouble.

At a bar I was bouncing at, a big brawl broke out and the main instigator of it ended up behind the bar, trying to get at one of the girl bartenders. One of the other bouncers made it back there and pulled him off her (she was his girlfriend), grabbed a length of Cat5 network cable that ran behind the bar, and drat near hung the guy to death before I could stop him. He had the cable wrapped around the dude's neck 3 or 4 times, and was not letting go - the poor dude was purple and totally unconscious. I had to choke out my fellow bouncer to stop him; I really thought I was about to see him kill that guy.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Larry Cum Free posted:

God I want to fight you all so bad right now. I want to punch your stupid little faces in.

I doubt it would hurt. You might hurt your hand though.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Smash your bottle on the table and glass a mofo

I've seen this more than once! I remember when a young woman bartender at a college bar refused to serve a drunk and belligerent sorority girl, who was the "you don't know who I am my dad owns a dealership" type of kid. Their argument escalated and before any security could get over there, the sorority girl smashed a bottle of Newcastle and sliced the bartender's face.

The sorority girl got locked up and sued into oblivion. The poor bartender has a nasty scar down her cheek and across her chin.

e: I wasn't working that night but I was there and drunk so I wasn't involved, I only saw the aftermath. lol that was the same night someone poo poo in one of our tip jars.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 10, 2024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Beer bottle glass is pretty hard to break, how the hell did she smash it so quick

Like, I'd say you're almost always better off smacking someone with the bottle than trying (and failing) to break the glass on something

No idea, I didn't see it happen. But the bar, and most of the furnishings were hard tile, steel, and brick. I imagine she smashed it on the corner of something but I don't know.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
In my experience, from best to worst bars to bounce at are

dance halls > sports bars > biker joints > redneck bars / roadhouses > strip clubs > college bars > (I guess BBQ places in Boston??)

college kids are the worst

to clarify, I mean the frequency of dumb poo poo that happens that requires intervention. violence wise... hmm. probably redneck bars.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 10, 2024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

So, here's a free protip: When I consider my first move in a fight, its always a form of block

Nah.

Hit, Grab, Twist, Slam, Stomp

Hit as the first action, Grab the head, Twist it, Slam it to the ground, Stomp on it. Easy peasy.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

In a random fight encounter?

My tongue is only slightly in cheek, but yeah. There's nuance to each part and like I've said before it depends on the situation, but that little mantra has served me well. Where the head goes, the body will follow.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

I want to fight you of course, but just for sport. But not a sparring thing, like real world. BUT at the same time you're too cool, I'm conflicted....

I would say you could fight my son, but then I realized you and I are the same age and he's early 20s. He's training (with me) for his second pro muay Thai fight. Just like I did at his age, he tried boxing first then decided muay Thai is way more fun. I told him he's crazy to do what I did, but he's all in.

My wife said she'd fight you but that little woman is crazy as hell, exceptionally talented, and just plain mean in the ring.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

lol your son would kick my rear end old man and I'm afraid of your wife.

FACE ME!!!!!!

I'm so beat up and broken with old injuries, I don't wanna fight anyone. I sometimes travel and coach fighters and I still attend seminars given by teachers I know - mostly Silat. The small school I had closed when Covid happened. I don't teach law enforcement anymore, either. Teaching a few folks and training my son are good enough for me.

I guess the last fight I was in was over a year ago. My youngest kids are black (they're adopted) and my racist neighbor called them the n-word for cutting across a tiny piece of his property while they were walking home. I went over to confront him and he threw racial slurs at me so I dropped him with a shot to the liver. His wife came outside, screaming on the phone to the cops that I was trying to kill her husband.

I drove to the sheriff's office and said, yeah, I hit his redneck rear end and I'd do it again. I said I'd gladly spend the night in jail to calm things down so I did. I'm on good terms with the authorities, and the neighbor was not, so it turned out ok. He's really lucky my wife wasn't the one to go over there that day, he would've taken more than one punch, that's for sure.

The same shitbag neighbor's dog had bit one of my older kids earlier that year, and my wife shot the dog when it again came onto our property acting aggressive. We had a bunch of other problems with him too but he sold his farm and moved so now there's peace in the valley.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

*Throws a small homemade flashbang just for testing....

*Disappears in a puff of NINJA SMOKE

(I had so much ninja poo poo when I was a kid, it was absurd)

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Pro tip:

A good, super bright flashlight is a decent self defense tool. If you're walking to your car alone in dim light, you can use it to scout your path. It also WILL gently caress up an assailant's vision so you can kick them in their balls and run away. I used this one all the time as a bouncer:
https://www.surefire.com/e2d-defender/

It's pricey for a flashlight but it's the last one you'll ever need to buy. The beveled edges make it a great striking weapon too. Also you can carry it anywhere. I've taken mine on planes without a problem.

One dude I threw out of a bar after blinding him with it said "that's brighter than the word of GAWD!" He literally went to his knees when I flashed it at him.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 11, 2024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Lol, yeah. I've seen that before. It is a handy and effective tool in the right situation but I'm not gonna endorse it as a fighting tool that necessitates taking a course.

E: ha! Looks like that dude is also carrying a small malong, or handkerchief, in his back pocket. That can be a useful tool also.

I used a bar towel for the same thing on occasion.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 11, 2024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Rad-daddio posted:

All i know about fighting is that the person who takes off their shirt usually loses hilariously.

You say that but clothes can be a disadvantage!

I mostly kid, but I have pulled a visor cap down over someone's eyes while ejecting them from a club.

And one time I saw another bouncer use a dude's oversized button down shirt to trap the guy's arm while dealing with him.

And a tie is just something else to grab!

isaboo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 11, 2024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Another often overlooked improvised self defense tool is the humble cigarette lighter!

At a particularly nasty strip club I worked at, strippers would use one if a lap dance went sideways and the customer got too aggressive. A lighter to the chin, or hell, any part of the body will likely make an aggressor stop whatever they're doing.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

In my last actual real fight, which was to the death, I lost one of my shoes. It sucked! I was running after their car hobbling with tunnel vision.

Fun fact: Savate takes it's name from the French term for "old shoe". Traditional, old style Savate dudes used heavy boots and shoes. Most of the kicks in Savate are low and almost never above the groin.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Fun facts:
The awesome film Ong Bak features not only muay Thai, but also some of the older Thai arts such as muay Boran and Ling Lom. The latter incorporates a lot of jumping maneuvers.

Goon favorite film The Raid is chock full of Silat.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Bonus fun fact (?):

I'm not sure if this is true, but supposedly the fighting style in the original "V" tv series (about the lizard aliens invading Earth) was inspired by Silat. The idea was that the art is so complicated and varied (and unknown to western viewers), that only aliens could have invented it.

It's been so long since I've seen it that I can't even remember any fight scenes at all. This claim is probably bullshit but it made me laugh when an old Silat teacher told me.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The best thing you can do in any fight is to hit first and hard and try to end it there. Lol at doing any kind of fancy poo poo.

While this is true, and it's what I drill into my students, people forget that the other guy is thinking the same thing and probably has just as much adrenaline in them as you do.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

I still think a block should be the first move. Knowing that the other guy will want to strike first. You block, he's exposed, you counter punch and finish it.

Blocking creates a moment of cohesion, unless, like I said before, you actually affect the body in some way. When cohesion occurs, a skilled fighter can ride that into an advantageous position. This is where having sensitivity is important. Also, where will you hit them? Are they completely uncovered so you can hit them with a cross when you parry or slip their jab? You might not be in a position to counter at that moment.

This is also why arts like Kenpo, your generic McDojo Karate, and poo poo like that are flawed. There isn't enough emphasis on retracting your strike as quickly (or quicker) than the strike itself. As an attacker, if I leave my punch hanging out there just a little too long, the defender can stick to my arm and ride in for an entry.

This applies to all the so-called "knife defense" bullshit. No one thrusts a knife and leaves it out there long enough for you to grab the wrist, twist it and disarm the blade, blah blah blah. Any disarms in a knife fight are usually incidental. In reality, it's more of a sewing machine needle type motion. That or a big, looping, slicing motion. Either way, you're likely hosed and this coming from someone who actively teaches Kali. There's no "knife fighting" on the street in the modern context. There are only stabbings.

redshirt posted:

Blocking is what learning fighting really teaches you. Most folks don't have defense in their fighting toolbag.

Torquemada posted:

Very important to learn to disassociate the surprise of being hit with the pain of being hit. You want 'ow, ok' not 'ow, what do I do'.

Yup, I'd say the first thing a good fighting course should teach you is how to take a hit. That's why I don't totally regret my Kenpo days. We didn't use pads, we trained on concrete or a hard basketball gym floor, and I was constantly picking myself up from the ground. I'd go home looking like I had been in a car wreck.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 12, 2024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Smugworth posted:

Can't block a bullet

Lol this is one of my favorites. Sure, no one can block a bullet. But has the gun been drawn already or not? Can I see the bulge (heh) under your shirt or on your hip, and know that I have to prevent you from reaching it? Do you even know you're in a fight before you can get to your weapon? How close are you? Does the dude have a knife? Does he have a gun?

All that said, the common "7 meter rule" thing that is often talked about is bullshit. The idea that if I, as a skilled fighter, can get to you and your gun if I'm within 21 feet before you can draw is dumb as gently caress. Of course I'm probably gonna get shot.

I've taught many law enforcement types "service weapon retention" - how to deal with someone trying to take their gun away. It's quite eye-opening when they see just how dicey things can get in a close encounter if they haven't already drawn. Anyway I'll stop here because I have huge problems with how law officers are trained and it gets my blood boiling and that's why I don't teach them anymore, because ACAB and they are taught to be that way.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
It just grazed me, I'm fine

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah, footwork is key to all stand up fighting.

Silat Serak has some crazy footwork, and it's based on a pattern called a pantjar. The triangle is an important concept in Filipino arts and Silat, and a lot of the movements are based on that shape.
The pantjar teaches you just how to stand and move your feet in relation to how your opponent is structured and moving.

Here's some dude making a pantjar mat. You can see all the angles of foot movement that are possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obVU9rvvddE

Here's some other dude doing langkas, or footwork drills, on a smaller pantjar. Notice how he moves on the lines, and how his feet are oriented on the angles. If he moves off a line, he's potentially in a bad position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95NOyRD2gq0

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 13, 2024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

So I've kinda been obsessing about thinking of fighting isaboo. No pads.

But full honor and respect.

On the one hand, I know he has superior training than I do. And he's no doubt technically the far superior fighter.

But.....

The "But" isn't necessary.

I'd fight you with the use of only one side of my body, and win.

This is a cheeky, though not untrue :smuggo:, reference to the founder of Serak. Bapak Sera had a shortened arm and a club foot. And part of the reason he developed Serak was as a way to counter muay Thai. What makes it even more interesting is that muay Thai is sometimes called "the art of 8 limbs", and Bapak Sera really only had full use of 4.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hormat

respect, in Indonesian

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I think ninja goatse is the highest art, friend. You are the true master.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Rad-daddio posted:

Krav Maga seems cool to me bc they always talked about on Archer.

I'm not a fan of Krav Maga. Way back in the mid to late 90s when KM was becoming more well known in the martial arts world, the owner of the gym I was training at sent me and another guy to an Official Krav Maga Instructor Training Seminar. He wanted us to be certified so we could offer it at our gym. I think it was a week long course, but we bailed after the 3rd or 4th day. The first day was going through the conditioning routine, which honestly wasn't all that bad. After that, we noticed that there was a lot of emphasis on marketing and licensing during breaks between the combatives portions of the course. It's been a long time but I think there was a rule that "official" KM schools had to be 50 miles apart. Much like the early days of BJJ, there was a lot of infighting over trademarking and copywriting the Krav Maga name. That turned us off and when we told the gym owner about it, he said "yeah, gently caress that." He wasn't interested in getting into the politics of a martial art.

There was that bit of nonsense, but we also thought the instruction was pretty poo poo. Like Kenpo, there was too much emphasis on specific techniques and not enough on the underlying principles - too much "do this" and not enough "this is why". I mean, anyone can make up a specific technique for any attack. Techniques don't matter, the physics underlying them do. Also, if something is useful it will be found in most martial arts and KM is nothing special.

Maybe it has changed by now, in fact I'm sure it has since it's more widespread, but every KM dude that came into my gym got schooled by my students so I've never been impressed. The KM knife defense stuff I've seen was atrocious and dangerous.

Rad-daddio posted:

i think it would be fun to get beaten up by old timey street toughs.

just guys with slacks and suspenders and mid Atlantic accents just beating the ever loving poo poo out of me.

Fun fact:
The early days of popular boxing (c. 1890s) were basically just two bros squaring off and trading punches without much evasive footwork. They held their hands in a predominantly palm up fashion, with forearms vertical, not at all like the more common 45 degree angle style that came later. I'm not saying that's how they fought exclusively, but a fighting stance can tell you a lot about the style. Footwork was basically non-existent. Some fighting historians say that changed when Western fighters were exposed to Filipino boxing in Hawaii and the Philippines. Since the Filipino arts were largely based on the stick and the knife, holding a stick or blade with your palms facing you angled the weapon straight out to the side. If you pick up a stick and do that yourself, then simply turn your fists palm down, you'll quickly see how much better it is both offensively and defensively. The footwork for stick and knife fighting is essential, so once Western boxers started getting rocked by the Filipino empty hand fighters, they adapted the Filipino style.

How true that all is, I don't know but I've heard that from a lot of old school Kali and panantukan (a form of Filipino boxing) dudes.

Internetjack posted:

Ethics question: If you were in a fight another person started for no good reason, where no one was watching and you knocked them down/out, would you grab their wallet and take any cash they had on them? Leaving the rest of the wallet behind of course.

I've never done that but I did break the fingers of a dude after I knocked his rear end out. He was literally a Nazi though so gently caress that guy. I've seen other people spit and piss on someone they've put out.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Rad-daddio posted:

Thanks for the KM info.

My main interest in self defense is a mortal fear of knife attacks. Honestly whatever style or discipline is the best for thwarting and then evading an attacker would be perfect for me.

Serious question - why do you have a mortal fear of a knife attack? Do you live a hosed up lifestyle or in an area where that poo poo happens?

IMO try Silat first, Kali second. Silat (at least the styles I've done; there are several hundred) is generally focused on being closer to a blade than kali.
Kali is unique in that you will start weapons training right away. On day one you'll have a baton and probably a blade handed to you. Empty hand training comes later.

As with any fighting system - Krav Maga, BJJ, Karate, whatever - if you don't train with weapons you're not training in a realistic manner for the street. And you need to do it consistently - the skills are perishable.

If you're serious, PM me and tell me where you're located and I might be able to recommend someone in your area especially if you're in the US.

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

First rule of knife fighting: you ARE getting stabbed.

I've ran away from a blade, I've been cut and I've done the cutting. It really comes down to the encounter and how it starts. Again, there's no real "knife fighting" in the modern era but there are ways to mitigate the danger of someone pulling out a knife.

The first time I ever got cut was while training with live blades. It wasn't a very bad cut but it wasn't fun. IMO, if whatever knife discipline you're learning doesn't break out the live blades once in a while it's not worth it. We obviously don't go at full speed and power, but even at 30-40% intensity it's eye opening. You'll gain a healthy respect for what you should and shouldn't attempt.