Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Aww man, I missed the start of a Chaos Gate Daemonhunters LP. I absolutely adore this game as a massive SRPG fan, and all the quality of life they put in compared to the contemporary of the modern XCOM. I probably played far too much of it as a result but hey....

No hit chances, cover and distance give stacking damage penalties - great! Means you can just take the shot anyways if the unit only needs 1 health or something to die. No taking bad losses due to missing on high hit %s.

Overwatch being directional - great! More interactive to dodge the enemy overwatch and you have to think about where to place yours if you want to use it yourself.

Skill trees being more interesting - they can be balanced bad at times, but still way more interesting to build your marines - great!

And all that stuff you mentioned about the information they give you about group locations and Marines restoring their AP on view is just fantastic. Really helps to keep the pace up for it.

I'm a little sad that you didn't show off any of the passives that your starting marines have, some of those passives can REALLY change how strong a certain build is on them or not.

As for the Duty Unbroken DLC, it's a mixed bag. I do think it's overall a benefit to the game, but the complaints the reviews bring up are reasonably valid. The Dreadnought is meant to be brought to special higher difficulty missions, but in pretty much any game, the special higher difficulty missions actually appear earlier than when you can possibly get it, which is a really stupid alignment. The higher difficulty missions also appear when the game naturally raises the difficulty on its own, so not a great concurrence of factors. The missions ARE doable without it, especially with the assassins DLC because one of the assassins is an absolute early game powerhouse. But.... it shouldn't be like that in the first place.

Funny story, on my first DLC run, I actually got the Dreadnought killed on the first of those randomized higher difficulty missions I brought it to, and never actually ended up making another one that entire run. Because of another mechanic.... where it takes servitors to repair. You know, the things that are required to repair your ship. And it's stupidly EXPENSIVE. The Dreadnought does bring some good power to missions, but because of that factor, it's use is counterintuitive to some degree. It's best to treat it like a glass cannon that you avoid allowing to take injuries at all costs. It does have armor that helps for that goal, but trying to use it as a tank will inevitably lead you to bleed servitors, so yeah, no. It is still useful if you keep that caveat in mind, though.

The thing I think is a pity is that Jade Star won't have access to the Techmarine, the Duty Unbroken Marine class. While again, it has some really weird (and often dumb) design quirks that impact how well it can perform at times, it does fulfill a role that no other Space Marine does well. It is the undisputed best one at hard CC and also at aoe knockback, which can give it some high lethality on specific maps. I actually rate it higher than the Apothecary when it comes to supporting the group, and prefer its function over quite a few of the other options.

I play on Legendary here because unlike XCOM, a run won't be nuked because of unavoidably bad RNG rolls (sectoids being able to one-shot your marines on an unlucky crit is just kind of rear end, XCOM). Would anyone be interested in gameplay thoughts with the Legendary difficulty context? If people would like them, I'd totally be up for making some large-rear end effortposts on this game, as mentioned I really do love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010

Keldulas posted:

I play on Legendary here because unlike XCOM, a run won't be nuked because of unavoidably bad RNG rolls (sectoids being able to one-shot your marines on an unlucky crit is just kind of rear end, XCOM). Would anyone be interested in gameplay thoughts with the Legendary difficulty context? If people would like them, I'd totally be up for making some large-rear end effortposts on this game, as mentioned I really do love it.

I'd be interested. I'm always keen to hear insights from high level play in these games. That's one of the best parts of the Let's Plays.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Keldulas posted:

I'd love some as well. While we've got plenty of people who know 40k as a setting, not as much for the game itself. So getting a different perspective on how thing go would be great.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I just watched the third video, it's interesting to hear about the early days of the game where the 'stun meta' was a thing. I don't think it's very good now, but there's still plenty of ways to purge the forces of chaos.

So, Legendary difficulty. It raises the costs and time of construction research, makes enemies more beefy and damaging. And it also nerfs the marines, in that wounds are more punishing (that light wound on the Justicar would be -5 HP rather than -4) and take longer to heal, and their starting Resilience is 1/1 rather than 2/2 . Resilience hasn't been shown, but in short, Marines lose 1 whenever they go to 0 HP, and if they have any left, will stand up with 50% HP for the rest of the fight after 3 turns and require healing time where they're unusable for a period. But on Legendary, starting with 1/1 means they're just dead if they go down. You lose a lot of margin of error under these circumstances, because last thing you want is to have a wounded marine with 9 max health just straight up die because oops.

So, the most important things to prevent such things are reliability and control. You want the tactics you choose to do to always work, and you need to control the incoming damage so that it's not causing wounds for after the battle, because that can cause a snowball if you're not careful. And the best CC in a lot of cases is 'dead', especially early on. Cultists and Poxwalkers are glass cannons, where they're easy to kill but do comparatively high damage.

With that in mind, early game is a melee fest for me by default until skills start kicking in. Guns lose damage at range and start to do better damage close up, but in most situations where a gun does their maximum damage, the marine can simply attack-move and whack them with a hammer in the same 1 AP cost without concern for cover or whatever. Plus cultists run away or punch the marine for a piddly 1 damage and run away if in melee range with a marine, which provokes an opportunity attack for a bonus 4 damage. So a cultist with <4 HP and in melee range of a marine is 'in control' on the enemy phase.

In general, early game guns end up running a pretty bad AP deficit due to move (1 AP) and then shoot (1 AP), not to mention reloading (1 AP) on top of that.

Weapon choice: See those fancy swords, halberds, and medicine spikes in the videos? In the trash bin. 1/2 chance to block melee, 1/4 chance to first strike approaching enemies, tiny crit chance increase, all fail the reliability check. Most Marine melee weapons have 'Force Strike', which increases the damage by +1. However, the Hammer's Force Strike increases damage by +2. There's a LOT of cases where 6 damage will kill or setup kills where 5 damage won't. Even on Jade Star's current difficulty, if his marines had hammers, they'd be able to just walk around chain-killing the regular cultists in 1 AP pops. So everyone gets a hammer, even the Purgator.

Marine choice: You'll notice in the above point that everyone has a Hammer. That means that along with the other melee weapons, the starting Apothecary also gets tossed in the trash. They stop being able to heal if their Narthecium isn't equipped at this point. And you'll notice in the vid that even though Iolanthus got healed, he still had the lightly wounded status after. Being able to heal is therefore not really a valuable skill to bring to the table, it's much better to be preventative. And the Narthecium being stuck at 3 damage is bad at being preventative. Medicae skulls aren't exclusive to the Apothecary (which hurts their position a lot when compared to other marines), and I bring 1 for emergencies for DoT clearing.

I tend to bring the second Justicar to fill in for him on the starting team, since eventually their support ability of 'grant AP to another marine' is invaluable for cases where they're not close enough to handle something but someone else is. Plus it ending up being 2 AP for 1 AP/2 WP cost, or 3 AP/1 WP for 1 AP/4 WP cost is really effective. Team comp can change, I'll speak more on it when Jade Star actually shows off how getting more Marines/units works.

As for early kill priority for XP when you can, Interceptor all the way. The starting Interceptor receives a huge DPS spike at level 3. Plus I just consider it the strongest class in the game overall. The 15 range Teleport the first one starts with is stupidly good for picking off stray targets or getting the ones the others can't reach, a very typical target for the Justicar's AP granting move.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
I'm not going to specifically refute anything here, though I disagree with some (and agree with others). My position is that Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters, even on higher difficulties, is easier and more forgiving than some similar games, and it accomplishes this by giving you a variety of strong options (and very few trap options). This allows people to settle into strategies that they find comfortable, and encourages experimentation (combined with the game handing you higher level Knights with skills preassigned, to discourage homogeny).

There's a lot of videos to come and a lot to show off and talk about.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Will you be able to take more than four men on a mission? If so what's the maximum you can take?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Olesh posted:

I'm not going to specifically refute anything here, though I disagree with some (and agree with others). My position is that Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters, even on higher difficulties, is easier and more forgiving than some similar games, and it accomplishes this by giving you a variety of strong options (and very few trap options). This allows people to settle into strategies that they find comfortable, and encourages experimentation (combined with the game handing you higher level Knights with skills preassigned, to discourage homogeny).

I really hope so, because I feel bad for poor apothecaries. I tend to leave them on the ship in favour of other classes and never unlock the more advanced skills for them.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010

Olesh posted:

Predictability is huge. I know that in theory in Xcom you have to plan around random chance, but I also know that in practice a lot of people just resort to doing save/reload to get out of bad situations. Because the random chance element combined with the difficulty of recovering from a bad situation means that you have to use the very safest most predictable tactics ever because the moment you take any kind of risk your team and then game can get wiped out. Then the game starts throwing timers at you that you have to take risks to beat.

The biggest problem boils down to the fact that stuff like criticals are always going to be better for the enemy than for you. The enemy will always have endless amount of trash mobs, so it doesn't matter as much if you nail one for 4x damage or not. But you only have your small, elite and very difficult to replace team, so a critical from the mob to you is very different. Effectively I think randomness in strategy games, even if the rules are the same for both sides, works against the human player.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Vakir completes her autopsy and the discovery of something inside the poxwalker is troubling, leading us to report to the grand master of the chapter in search of aid and armaments. Discovery of a corrupt seed inside the poxwalker gives us something to look for, and target in our goal of combating a plague of Nurgle.

On the subject of the video, while I try to bring up and address things discussed in the thread and that happen in the video, one thing I didn't really think about while playing or recording is Grand Master Kai. Not knowing much of the lore of the setting, Kai becomes sort of a gatekeeping grumpy space grandpa that keeps all the really cool Nurgle killing things under lock and key until we appease him. Mechanically this works fine, you acquire requisition through missions, events, dialog choices even, and Kai introduces optional challenges for every mission in Glorious Deeds. Requisition is spent on unlocking access to the different categories of armaments and upgrading the likelihood of a higher quality item. It was interesting to note in post editing that Ectar's voice line calls the first category the 'resource slot' and the tool tip it claims it grants access to servitors and grimoires as a reward at the end of battle. This is incorrect, as servitors and grimoires were awarded to us for our previous two missions, shown beforehand by checking the mission information screen before we traveled and deployed on the missions. I think this is a hold over of earlier game design that was changed near the end, presumably after getting all the VA work done and overlooked when things were changed. Another voice line says we can spend requisition to unlock and upgrade 'armor' slots. Not 'armory' slots. Slight oversight or missed line read, or did they intend for upgrades to be built right into the Knights armor? Ah nitpicking anyway.

This sets us up with our last uses for requisition, more access to the armory of Titan, and then spending requisition for the rewards each mission offers based on what has been unlocked from the armory. This is where we start getting our gear upgrades. In contrast to X-Com, we never research better gear. We're not going to discover a laser or plasma bolter, but we can find master crafted gear in the armory that will offer additional bonuses over their mundane counter parts. Also just plain old war gear. Like krak grenades. You know we don't start with krak grenades? I barely know the table top and even I am pretty sure those are standard kit for marines. Other war gear items are more like ornate add-ons for our marines, like holy incense that increases max willpower, or blessed greaves that increase ranged crit chance. Or skulls. Like the medkit skull, but they do other things like scouting or being decoys.

This system is very different and has its ups and downs I'd say. It's unique and normally feels pretty good while playing. You usually build up a fair bit of requisition but you never have enough for everything you want and you have to balance your spending accordingly. One effect of the system is that your rewards are random. You never know what kind of melee weapon you might get. Or ranged weapon. And this can be good or bad. A variety of spicy melee weapons to slice Nurgle up with is great and may get you cool weapons with skills/abilities you haven't tried before, and that's great. For ranged weapons though, I find it a bit more frustrating. The majority of your Knights only use storm bolters, so you may want to see a lot of bolters in the reward section. You need a few non bolters too though. A good Psicannon on your purgetors is a big deal, and cannons with added ammo, damage, armor shred, or inflict status on hits can dramatically increase the purgetors combat value. But when there are four or five kinds of ranged weapons to draw from the odds of seeing the specific kind you're looking for is low, and then you need to actually draw a weapon of the kind you want that is an upgrade you want to use. This is really only an issue for ranged weapons, though a small issue for melee, as the differences in ranged weapons are large and most of your Knights can't even use anything other than bolters. With melee weapons only a few are class specific like for the apothecary and the chaplain. Armor only comes in two flavors, power armor and terminator armor, and it's about half and half who uses which kind of armor among your Knights making armor selection more about the individual suit of armor rather than trying to get correct type like with weapons or guns.
My nitpicks about rarity and probability distribution of types of items within a reward type aside, it feels neat. You get cool new things that might be chapter relics for all I know. On a deep design level the armory system may not be much more different than say X-Com, but it does feel different when everything isn't just a straight upgrade path. There's no going from ballistic rifle to laser rifle to plasma rifle as just a hard set path of progression, even though there are clear tier levels among the gear as seen by the I, II, and III markings. I suppose they have the same sort of tiers, as X-Com tiers could be considered ballistic -> laser/magnetic -> plasma, so too does Chaos Gate have a 3 tier system for equipment. However in Chaos Gate it feels different as once you are out of starter gear no upgrade is ever just 'the same thing, but with increased stats'. Everything different and will offer different stats or abilities so the armory system feels different, more varied. I can't just lay out a quick sheet of what all my Knights are going to be using because I don't know what I will find in the armory and end up using. While in X-Com that can't be said. It's a very linear upgrade path in X-Com and not at all in Chaos Gate. I am going to have to pick and choose what is really worth my requisition and what I really want to equip.

Okay that was like 3 paragraphs on the mechanics of getting upgrades which wasn't where my initial thought was here, so lets get back to that. Grand Master Kai. When I first played the game I assumed he ran the whole Grey Knights Chapter. I figured he was the boss of all of us. For reasons that are clear in retrospect and will become visible later in the game, I realize that he is not. That the Grey Knights are lead by a Chapter Master (I think), and thus that probably makes Kai just super high up in the hierarchy and not at the absolute top. Does he just oversee the chapters armory? Is he the highest ranking quartermaster in the chapter? And while we're at it, why are we going to end up making quarterly reports to him? Game concession for upgrades and being judged by an NPC to let you know if you're loving up or not? Or is Kai really someone important that would normally be directing strike cruisers like the Edict around to their next tour of duty? Basically, help me out Lore Nerds.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

White Coke posted:

Will you be able to take more than four men on a mission? If so what's the maximum you can take?

Only ever able to take four. Except during plot missions where you may be assigned a guest unit to control for plot reasons.

rastilin posted:

The biggest problem boils down to the fact that stuff like criticals are always going to be better for the enemy than for you. The enemy will always have endless amount of trash mobs, so it doesn't matter as much if you nail one for 4x damage or not. But you only have your small, elite and very difficult to replace team, so a critical from the mob to you is very different. Effectively I think randomness in strategy games, even if the rules are the same for both sides, works against the human player.

In many games you may be right that receiving crits is far more impactful than dealing crits. In Chaos Gate crits greatly favor the player. I think that's readily apparent with the precision targeting mechanic being shown. And it will continue to get even more in the players favor if they take gear or skills that grant bonus AP on crits. All things the AI can not do or take advantage of.

Randomness in games has been discussed to death. It's perception bias. Go look at the long legacy of Fire Emblem and what they've done to combat the impression their fans got of the rng being unfair. Randomness doesn't work against a player. Design does.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 16, 2024

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think Kai is the acting chapter head because the actual chapter master is uh... lost in the warp, but not lost lost, he's cursed or something to be hurtled around to combat zones basically actings as a deus ex machina or something if I remember my warhammer lore. Grand master is a company commander basically so about 100 space marines under his direct command, Master of the Armoury would be an additional title associated with Kai, likely each Company Commander oversees a different aspect, one would be for example the fleet, another might command the chapter's librarians... although given EVERY Grey Knight is a psyker that's a little different than a normal chapter. Another would be the commander of the scouts, generally the 10th company commander, again probably not the same as a normal chapter given the Grey Knights not being a normal chapter.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Kai is the acting chapter master because the actual chapter master is Isekai.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

AtomikKrab posted:

I think Kai is the acting chapter head because the actual chapter master is uh... lost in the warp, but not lost lost, he's cursed or something to be hurtled around to combat zones basically actings as a deus ex machina or something if I remember my warhammer lore. Grand master is a company commander basically so about 100 space marines under his direct command, Master of the Armoury would be an additional title associated with Kai, likely each Company Commander oversees a different aspect, one would be for example the fleet, another might command the chapter's librarians... although given EVERY Grey Knight is a psyker that's a little different than a normal chapter. Another would be the commander of the scouts, generally the 10th company commander, again probably not the same as a normal chapter given the Grey Knights not being a normal chapter.

Close, but Grey Knight are instead organised into one of eight Brotherhoods. Each is headed by a Grand Master, who will also take over a specific part of the organisations logistics, much like The Armoury or the Fleet. All eight of the Grand Masters must unanimously vote for someone to become Supreme Grand Master upon the death of the previous Grandmaster, who as of right now is, as you say, lost in the warp, showing up somewhat randomly and doing a bunch of weird stuff.

So yes, Grand Master Kai here is probably the Master of the Armoury. But we are currently attached to a Strike Cruiser and are acting in the role of Brother-Captain, who is expected to command a full 100 marines. So Grey Knight Brother-Captains have the material authority of a Company Captain in Codex Compliant Chapters. of course, not all those battle brothers are on the Strike Cruiser and many are further afield...

Of course... scale is all messed up, the expectation of a Codex Compliant chapter being able to do anything of note with only a thousand men is generally laughable, and since Guillimans alive and the Primaris Exist, that entire situation may have been revised/out the window.

EDIT: found different sources that disagreed removed possible bad info.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 16, 2024

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
And our boss here is also stingy with the wargear because there's thousands of situations over the galaxy all at once that requires grey knight attention. So there's competition for the good stuff.
So Kai's job is a bit of handing out the best stuff to where it's the most useful, and also make sure we're not dumbasses that would waste it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

And our boss here is also stingy with the wargear because there's thousands of situations over the galaxy all at once that requires grey knight attention. So there's competition for the good stuff.
So Kai's job is a bit of handing out the best stuff to where it's the most useful, and also make sure we're not dumbasses that would waste it.

We aren't dumbasses, but he doesn't trust that inquisitor not to get good Grey Knights killed in some dumb crusade.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

AtomikKrab posted:

We aren't dumbasses, but he doesn't trust that inquisitor not to get good Grey Knights killed in some dumb crusade.

It's also a good point that up until that call, pretty much all he would have heard about is the his precious Grey Knights, an already precious resource with how hard it is to make one, are being sent out to go and kill a bunch of cultists on a couple of planets. So it's not just getting Grey Knights killed. It's getting them killed in something that isn't even that important.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Groetgaffel posted:

and as far as he's concerned you are basically malingering. there is a point at which it is his job to say "Commander, please arrange an accident for the Inquisitor and get back to work," and a point not far past that where he says "Leave this room, shoot the inquisitor in the head, set course as you have been directed, and have your explanation for why you hadn't done so already REALLY GOOD by the time you get here."

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

he doesn't trust that inquisitor not to get good Grey Knights killed in some dumb crusade.

Solarium posted:

So it's not just getting Grey Knights killed. It's getting them killed in something that isn't even that important.
Dying in a dumb and/or pointless crusade at the behest of an inquisitor is definitely something I'd file under "being a dumbass"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

and as far as he's concerned you are basically malingering. there is a point at which it is his job to say "Commander, please arrange an accident for the Inquisitor and get back to work," and a point not far past that where he says "Leave this room, shoot the inquisitor in the head, set course as you have been directed, and have your explanation for why you hadn't done so already REALLY GOOD by the time you get here."
Yeah, basically we have to prove that we're dithering around for an actual reason.
Both the ship and the marines aboard are precious resources, and not something you use for cultist whack-a-mole.
That's not Grey Knights work, hell that's not even space marine work at all, that's a job for the Guard.
So if that's all this is, we are, in his book, giant dumbasses for wasting our time.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
Episode 4 - The Ordo Malleus and You
A lot of the plot this episode and discussion around it have been about the conflict between our resident inquisitor Vahlen Vakir and the Grand Master Vardan Kai. After all, Vakir requisitioned an entire ship full of Grey Knights just to run down a single message that may or may not be important. So why the hell was she able to do that? She isn't even a Space Marine!

Now, I won't go into the history of the Ordo Malleus itself, only the most important parts relevant to how it interacts with our group of Space Marines.

The Ordo Malleus is a part of the Inquisition dedicated to fighting Chaos in physical form. While originally part of the larger whole of the Inquisition, it has since split off in order to better focus on it's own thing, and is made up of those like Vakir who are meant to hunt out and destroy Chaos. But one single inquisitor can't exactly fight off armies on their own. That's why all Malleus Inquisitors have the power to requisition and request things from others, even the High Lords of Terra and the Adeptus Astartes.

In this game, Inquisitor Vakir has basically called upon our ship to go and investigate because she said so. No other authority needed. The Grey knights especially must respond to this call due to being a part of the Chamber Militant: essentially, the people the Inquisition likes to call up when they need bad things dead ASAP.

As one final note about the Ordo Malleus: Nobody is allowed to know what they do. Nobody. Only the Grey Knights are left untouched after a military operation. Any members of the Imperial Guard or the Officio Assassinorum who are forced to help? Dead. All of them. You can't refuse the summons, and once they're finished, you get killed. No risking chaos getting out. The only exceptions to this are Space Marines, who are a bit too expensive to go around murdering whenever you need them to help kill some chaos. Instead, they just get all their memories wiped and shipped back off to go do more Space Marine business. Grey Knights are the only ones, along with the inquisitors involved, who get to remember all of what happened.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Solarium posted:

Officio Assassinorum
Fully fledged Assassins are rarer than space marines, stuffed to gills with bio-engineering and cybernetics. At most they're mind wiped. The exception is Eversors, since they're, uh, explosively disposable.
In Mark of Faith a detachment of Sororitas fight off a Daemon incursion on their ship and get to carry on un-mind wiped. Well, those that survive.

Speaking of the Holy Ordos and their Chamber Militants:
There's three major branches of the Inquisition, and a plethora of minor.
Malleus deals with Chaos. Their Chamber Militant are us, the Grey Knights.
Xenos, as the name implies, aliens. Chamber Militant: Deathwatch. Also space marines, but not a single chapter. Instead all regular chapters send a promising battle brother to serve with the Deathwatch for a time, then bring back all they learnt to their chapter.
Hereticus, again fairly self-explanatory, they deal with anyone who's a danger to the imperial creed. Naturally this crosses over with Malleus occasionally. Their Chamber Militant are the Adapta Sororitas, the sisters of battle.
Power-armoured, but not genenetically engineered, they are the Imperial Church's standing army, and they are all women because of rules lawyering. (the church is prohibited from having men at arms due to a civil war a couple of thousand years ago)

Now those three branches aren't really strictly separated, and many Inquisitors move between them during their service.
And while they each specialise in a particular direction, if there's a Chaos outbreak somewhere and the closest inquisitor is Ordo Xenos, they'll absolutely respond. A Hereticus Inquisitor discovering a bunch of necrons also won't hesitate in sending in a bunch of Sisters to melt them either.

Technically Inquisitors have the right to requisition any of the Imperiums forces in whatever numbers they see fit, but there's a bunch of politics and other interfactional tensions going on that mean they don't unless absolutely necessary, preferring to rely on official alliances like the Chambers Militant, or some more or less disposable regiments of the Guard when a problem is too big to rely on their own retinue.

Most noteworthy of the minor Ordos are Ordo Chronos, who either make sure no-one mess with time travel, or simply try to keep track of the Imperium's many different calendars, local time dilation and the effect of warp travel on time keeping. They may or may not have erased themselves with some time travel shenanigans.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Groetgaffel posted:

Most noteworthy of the minor Ordos are Ordo Chronos, who either make sure no-one mess with time travel, or simply try to keep track of the Imperium's many different calendars, local time dilation and the effect of warp travel on time keeping. They may or may not have erased themselves with some time travel shenanigans.

Classic time travel mistake. Never mess with time travel, even if you're trying to stop other people messing with time travel.

Solarium fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 16, 2024

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Groetgaffel posted:

Fully fledged Assassins are rarer than space marines, stuffed to gills with bio-engineering and cybernetics. At most they're mind wiped. The exception is Eversors, since they're, uh, explosively disposable.
In Mark of Faith a detachment of Sororitas fight off a Daemon incursion on their ship and get to carry on un-mind wiped. Well, those that survive.

Speaking of the Holy Ordos and their Chamber Militants:
There's three major branches of the Inquisition, and a plethora of minor.
Malleus deals with Chaos. Their Chamber Militant are us, the Grey Knights.
Xenos, as the name implies, aliens. Chamber Militant: Deathwatch. Also space marines, but not a single chapter. Instead all regular chapters send a promising battle brother to serve with the Deathwatch for a time, then bring back all they learnt to their chapter.
Hereticus, again fairly self-explanatory, they deal with anyone who's a danger to the imperial creed. Naturally this crosses over with Malleus occasionally. Their Chamber Militant are the Adapta Sororitas, the sisters of battle.
Power-armoured, but not genenetically engineered, they are the Imperial Church's standing army, and they are all women because of rules lawyering. (the church is prohibited from having men at arms due to a civil war a couple of thousand years ago)

Now those three branches aren't really strictly separated, and many Inquisitors move between them during their service.
And while they each specialise in a particular direction, if there's a Chaos outbreak somewhere and the closest inquisitor is Ordo Xenos, they'll absolutely respond. A Hereticus Inquisitor discovering a bunch of necrons also won't hesitate in sending in a bunch of Sisters to melt them either.

Technically Inquisitors have the right to requisition any of the Imperiums forces in whatever numbers they see fit, but there's a bunch of politics and other interfactional tensions going on that mean they don't unless absolutely necessary, preferring to rely on official alliances like the Chambers Militant, or some more or less disposable regiments of the Guard when a problem is too big to rely on their own retinue.

Inquisition is outside of the chain of command of space marines and cannot actually requistion/order them around outside of petitioning for aid like everyone else. Which is why they can tell them to gently caress off and do so occasionally.

Space marine chapters tend to help out though because if they are making a request it's normally a big deal.

Similarly, the inquistion cannont really order around the mechanicus because they are their own thing with their own command structure.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 16, 2024

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

rastilin posted:

Predictability is huge. I know that in theory in Xcom you have to plan around random chance, but I also know that in practice a lot of people just resort to doing save/reload to get out of bad situations. Because the random chance element combined with the difficulty of recovering from a bad situation means that you have to use the very safest most predictable tactics ever because the moment you take any kind of risk your team and then game can get wiped out. Then the game starts throwing timers at you that you have to take risks to beat.

Vis a vis randomness, the moment I missed a melee attack in XCOM 2 was the moment I knew I would not like the game. Melee is in general a higher risk tactic where that unit is put into more danger than a person at range. Giving me a 5% chance to miss on top of that means that it's just leaving an opportunity for the game to give a big middle finger, especially with the low health of your units relative to enemy damage at the start.

In regards to the Episode 4:

The Chekov's Nergal pods demonstration was quite amusing, I never had a circumstance quite that blatant happen in any of my games before.

Oh, Interceptor Support Fire, the primary reason why Voldred Storm should be leveled preferentially to level 3 before the others. One thing to put emphasis on is that it's a flat amount of damage. As long as the Interceptor would deal at least 1 damage from where they're standing, they'll still fire that 5 damage shot at the enemy's face. Considering that weapons are doing 4-6 damage by this point, it's a serious increase in damage potential on your turn. And it's prerequisite is Teleport and the 5 range increase for it, a skill pretty much every Interceptor wants anyways. This ability has particularly good synergy with a Psilencer Purgator (who can get 18 range with literally any Psilencer) and 2 of the assassins. At least once on a map where poo poo hit the fan really badly, I chipped down the forces with the Interceptor running up to range, the long range guy triggering two Support Fires, and the crew just running away after that.

The Poxwalkers are a good demonstration as to why I prefer Hammers for the generic weapon for the Marines. On Legendary, they have 6 HP. The difference between being able to one-shot them or not with any given marine can make the difference between cleaning them nicely and getting swarmed for 3 damage chips.

The Space Marine recruitment 'cycling' feels ridiculous, because it evokes the mental image of the commander bringing in a Space Marine, checking their teeth, giving them the once-over before sending them back to Titan like a prissy little window shopper. And that's what'll happen to the majority of the Space Marines because as Jade Star said, it's a zero cost method to check them out, and a good method to fish for specific passives, especially the mentioned skill point one. But as shown, the Space Marines can sometimes come in with a really stupid arrangement of skill points distributed.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Inquisition is outside of the chain of command of space marines and cannot actually requistion/order them around outside of petitioning for aid like everyone else. Which is why they can tell them to gently caress off and do so occasionally.

Space marine chapters tend to help out though because if they are making a request it's normally a big deal.

Similarly, the inquistion cannont really order around the mechanicus because they are their own thing with their own command structure.
Same thing with the Custodes now that they are active outside the palace.

Theoretically the Inqusition have the power to requisition anyone they want.
In practice there's several organisations just like the inquisition that only answer to the Emperor.

Adeptus Mechanicus is even more complicated, as technically they are their own (semi-)indepent nation.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Groetgaffel posted:

Same thing with the Custodes now that they are active outside the palace.

Which is funny considering they have a group dedicated to keep an eye on the Inquisition. So I can just imagine once they suss out that an Inquisitor needs their help, one of their guys will just happen to show up just to keep an eye on them at the same time.

And one to keep watch on the Mechanicus too.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Which is funny considering they have a group dedicated to keep an eye on the Inquisition. So I can just imagine once they suss out that an Inquisitor needs their help, one of their guys will just happen to show up just to keep an eye on them at the same time.

And one to keep watch on the Mechanicus too.
Same with the Inquisition, they've got minor Ordos to watch the Mechanicus, the assassins, space marines, one that keep check on Exterminatus actions, one that keeps on eye on other inquisitors, etc. It's spying all the way down.

And then we have my two favourites.
Ordo Originatus, who seek to uncover and understand everything about the organisation's 10,000 year history.

Ordo Redactus, who seek the exact opposite, the obfuscation of history to make it harder for the enemies of mankind to find something to use against them.

E: Rewatched the start of the latest video, and yeah, Kai is explicitly called out as Steward of the Armoury. He is also canon, being mentioned by name in two Grey Knights codexes.
He's also voiced by none other than Andy Serkis

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 16, 2024

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
My favorite Ordos are the Vigilus and the Necros.

What does the Ordos Vigilus do? They oversee the Ordos Necros

What does the Ordos Necros do? Nobody knows. It's just 5 dudes doing something or other.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Solarium posted:

Episode 4 - The Ordo Malleus and You
A lot of the plot this episode and discussion around it have been about the conflict between our resident inquisitor Vahlen Vakir and the Grand Master Vardan Kai. After all, Vakir requisitioned an entire ship full of Grey Knights just to run down a single message that may or may not be important. So why the hell was she able to do that? She isn't even a Space Marine!

Now, I won't go into the history of the Ordo Malleus itself, only the most important parts relevant to how it interacts with our group of Space Marines.

The Ordo Malleus is a part of the Inquisition dedicated to fighting Chaos in physical form. While originally part of the larger whole of the Inquisition, it has since split off in order to better focus on it's own thing, and is made up of those like Vakir who are meant to hunt out and destroy Chaos. But one single inquisitor can't exactly fight off armies on their own. That's why all Malleus Inquisitors have the power to requisition and request things from others, even the High Lords of Terra and the Adeptus Astartes.

In this game, Inquisitor Vakir has basically called upon our ship to go and investigate because she said so. No other authority needed. The Grey knights especially must respond to this call due to being a part of the Chamber Militant: essentially, the people the Inquisition likes to call up when they need bad things dead ASAP.

As one final note about the Ordo Malleus: Nobody is allowed to know what they do. Nobody. Only the Grey Knights are left untouched after a military operation. Any members of the Imperial Guard or the Officio Assassinorum who are forced to help? Dead. All of them. You can't refuse the summons, and once they're finished, you get killed. No risking chaos getting out. The only exceptions to this are Space Marines, who are a bit too expensive to go around murdering whenever you need them to help kill some chaos. Instead, they just get all their memories wiped and shipped back off to go do more Space Marine business. Grey Knights are the only ones, along with the inquisitors involved, who get to remember all of what happened.

As I understand it, this policy was changed after the 13th Crusade and they no longer kill off soldiers after encountering the Ruinous Powers' agents.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Are the first few missions scripted? I just started playing on the PS5 version and I swear you've had all the same maps as me.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I think the first three are. I felt the first few maps were very familiar.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

They are scripted to set you up for getting your first few things going.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The first map is always the same one because they're still pulling punches for unavoidably having a group of most level 1s. The 2nd one is one of two different maps, and if you happen to get an arrangement that lets you do two maps after the first, the 3rd map will be the other of the two map styles. I think its a bit dumb, but I believe the game does it this way because the two maps that are slated to be part of the first 3 choices are smaller than most of the maps after that, probably to account for you still having level 1s and a level 2 at most.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Jade, I appreciate that "Simmer down, Y'shtola" for cluing me in that the inquisitor really is Robyn Addison.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Everyone obeys the Inquisition because of The Implication.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Yapping Eevee posted:

Jade, I appreciate that "Simmer down, Y'shtola" for cluing me in that the inquisitor really is Robyn Addison.

"Inquisitor, I request that you prepare our strategems for the next operation."
"Water water froth and foam!"
"BATTLE BROTHERS! TAKE UP ARMS! SHE HAS FALLEN TO CHAOS!"

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

She's also the worst companion in Dragon Age Inquisition (Sera)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I... was not aware of that, huh.

To be fair to the voice actress, Sera is rather intentionally written to be the worst companion in Dragon Age Inquisition. This isn't a DA:2 or ME:A situation.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

As I understand it, this policy was changed after the 13th Crusade and they no longer kill off soldiers after encountering the Ruinous Powers' agents.

That's right. With the Galaxy torn in half by a chaos rift and all the fallout from that even the Imperium decided total secrecy just wasn't practical anymore.

Guillimans even started doing stuff like having senior officers briefed on the actual history of the Horus Heresy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/j4kcmu/excerpt_dawn_of_fire_avenging_son_the_crusade/

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Kurieg posted:

I... was not aware of that, huh.

To be fair to the voice actress, Sera is rather intentionally written to be the worst companion in Dragon Age Inquisition. This isn't a DA:2 or ME:A situation.

performers take lovely roles all the time, it's how you pay the bills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Seyser Koze posted:

performers take lovely roles all the time, it's how you pay the bills

the era of "enunciate as clearly as possible and get zero voice direction" was a harsh one

mudcrabs. awful creatures. be seeing you