Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Veloxyll posted:

As I understand it, this policy was changed after the 13th Crusade and they no longer kill off soldiers after encountering the Ruinous Powers' agents.

Does this mean they just executed the entire population of Cadia after Black Crusades 1-12 or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

paragon1 posted:

Does this mean they just executed the entire population of Cadia after Black Crusades 1-12 or something?

I imagine Cadia had a planetwide exception. Given how divided the Imperium is there’s probably no standard approach. Or there is but ultimately it’s down to if someone else noticed and wants to do something about it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Really depends if daemons were involved in the action or not.

The first war of Armageddon, one of those post cleanup actions that get mentioned, involved a daemonic primarch, and a ton of khorne daemons. Which was definitely not something they wanted the common people to know about.
Should also be noted that the Space Wolves didn't like them doing it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

paragon1 posted:

Cadias population has been wiped out through the BCs a couple of times, turns out the purple eye thing is a direct result of the proximity to the eye of terror since it kept developing.

Also I dont think there ever really was a standarized approach to what/how much people know about chaos and the how much the Imperium tried to censor it. People point to the armageddon war purgings a lot but there's also a bunch of books/stories where people are somewhat aware of the traitor primarchs but they are portrayed as daemons or such. But you have to keep in mind that regular space marines are portrayed as angels so

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

At the end of the Shadowblade bood, set during the Macharian crusade story, the main character avoids getting purged after seeing a bunch of daemonettes by the sheer virtue of another character telling him to keep his mouth shut about it. And then has to execute someone else who is most likely to mention it because they think this is some unknown enemy that they might have valuable intel about.

Meanwhile the planet population either gets enslaved or killed depending on their purity.

But it's also worth pointing out that the books are very inconsistent about things.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Yeah that's the thing about the Imperium, it's absolutely gently caress huge. There's no standardised approach to anything.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Considering how many radical Inquisitors there are there’s a good chance anyone who has witnessed Chaos will be allowed to live by an Inquisitor because they think it’ll further their agenda to disseminate knowledge of Chaos.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

A couple of fun new things happen in this episode. Now that we have emerged from tutorial land we are subject to random events. While traveling around the star map some events may pop up requiring us to make a choice about the situation. Sometimes they're bad, like this time with a warp storm or some shenanigans involving warp travel, which I gather is kind of unsafe but everyone travels through the warp all the time with a million ships a day because otherwise the distances are just too vast. Lore people can help me out on that. Sometimes the events are good, and it's just Ectar saying 'Today is a good day to train/meditate, let us chill'.

Vakir has given us access to the Officio Assassinorum and we get one free pick of assassin. All future assassins are recruitable for requisition. There are no bad picks of assassins, and I go with Vindicare as they are my personal favorite. They are long range marksmen that ignore partial cover penalties, range penalties, and come with intrinsic precision targeting on critical hits. The ability to precision target from range, and occasionally at will, is a huge deal and what makes them my favorite. During the video I believe their worth becomes very evident with the first chaos marine encountered.

It's worth knowing that assassins do not play by all the same rules as Knights. Some don't use will power. The vindicare simply has a cool down timer for all of his abilities. Assassins will not be affected by many of the otherwise universal affects that effect Knights, such as gaining AP from executions or the Chaplins squad wide abilities. Assassins don't have a skill tree, they simply level up a predetermined path. They won't get gear options as mission rewards like Knights, instead we'll have to spend requisition to unlock the three tiers of gear available to them, each purchase unlocks the tier for all 4 assassins, and then purchase the gear we want for more requisition. Because of this, it's pretty expensive to kit out an assassin, and kind of unlikely a playthrough will afford you enough time or requisition to purchase all 4 assassins and kit them out in all the best gear.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The skinny regarding the Warp is that it's a necessary evil, without it the Imperium wouldn't function. Despite it's obvious issues about ships being lost in transit thanks to monsters/daemons/storms, crews getting corrupted and so on.

The thing that allows the ships to travel with moderate safety is the gellar field that projects an aura of realspace around the ship. But it's not infallible and warp travel is always unnerving affairs filled with weird dreams and various minor haunts.

It used to be safer, before the heresy and it's only become worse and worse after that. The splitting of the galaxy after the Eye of Terror burst open hasn't helped much.

In fact, things are much worse because all Imperial warp travel is dependant on the Astronomican on Terra, which acts like a giant psychic lighthouse that gives ships a point of reference. Without that chances of a successful journey decreases markedly, unless you do short jumps in and out of real space. But that takes time.
So the issue now is that one half of the galaxy doesn't have access to that beacon.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 23, 2024

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Is this game set before or after Cadia fell?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Looking it up I can't find anything definitive and from what I recall, nothing has been mentioned in the game about the 13th Black Crusade or the Cicatrix Maledictum. So assume before? :shrug:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Basically, there are a total of three ways, in universe, that people in the 40k universe can use to traverse faster than light

Way one is through the Warp. The Warp is basically a psychic alternate reality parallel to the real one. It is not inherently bad, and millions of years ago travel through it was more or less entirely safe, but the Chaos Gods were born, live there and have corrupted it with their influence. Humanity, Orks, Tau and Tyranids all traverse through the Warp. Warp travel is dangerous and unreliable, requiring specialized skills to move through safely. You are at risk of demonic incursion, soul corruption and more mundane, "physical" warp travel hazards equivalent to icebergs travelling through it. Other common problems include exiting the Warp many years after you first entered it even when, from your crew's perspective, it's only been a month or two, or if you're particularly lucky, exiting the warp earlier than you left.

Humanity uses mutant Navigators, who navigate based on the Light of the Astronomicon on Earth, which needs thousands of psyker souls fed to it daily for it not to go out.

Orks frequently just ride the waves of the Warp before randomly getting pooped out somewhere and making the best of it--- they're the next best thing to immune to Warp corruption too, their souls already belonging to Gork and Mork, along with the entire race having an exceptional ability to detect anyone who "isn't acting Orky enough" and murdering them with prejudice.

Tyranids travel in such enormous fleets with its Hive Minds being so psychically powerful that their passage creates a Shadow in the Warp that smooths it out for their own journey but fucks up warp travel and communications for everyone else in nearby sectors.

Way two is through the Webway. The Webway is basically a stable set of roads that are entirely closed off from the Warp and span much of the universe, created by the Eldar at the height of their pan-universal empire. It is far safer than the Warp, and also more or less entirely unaccessable unless you are an Eldar yourself. Used by the Eldar and Dark Eldar pretty much exclusively--- none of the Space Elves can safely traverse the Warp, because their souls all have an IOU note attached that makes them belong to Slaanesh, the youngest Chaos God of Desire and Perfection. Entering the warp puts them at risk of Slaanesh reaching out and plucking their souls out of them.

And third, there's some weird physics-breaking bullshit that only the Necrons can do.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 23, 2024

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
The Necrons have like 6 different ways they can travel FTL, and all of them turn the laws of physics into the suggesstions of physics.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
There is a whole thing where Those Guys are getting pissed off because Games Workshop is starting to make female Custodes (think super-duper Marines that are part of the Emperor's personal guard) part of the lore. There is a good chance that female Space Marines will happen in the future, as the main reason they didn't exist was to save on model production costs in the 1980s. That isn't an issue with modern tech and modeling tools, especially with how large Games Workshop has grown.

But I think you guys found the real reason that female Marines are going to show up soon. The Space Marines finally invented pockets, and after 40,000 years women realized that having no pockets is not worth it. They demand pockets in clothes and will only do the job if they can get some pockets :v:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Jade. Are you aware of the stupid bullshit you can do with the Psilencer's Disrupt Shot? (Though Disruptor servo-skulls do it just as well).

I forget if I read it on BeforeIPlay, or saw it on a stream (maybe even yours!) or what.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

is the vindicare assasin allowed to know about he existence of Grey Knights? or is he going to die even if he survives?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

is the vindicare assasin allowed to know about he existence of Grey Knights? or is he going to die even if he survives?
If he survives he probably gets a memory wipe and then gets sent on the next job

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Jonny Nox posted:

We talked about it before, but more likely than not they'll live. These assassins are so pumped full of drugs, modifications, and other bits, it'd be a waste to kill them.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Tylana posted:

Jade. Are you aware of the stupid bullshit you can do with the Psilencer's Disrupt Shot? (Though Disruptor servo-skulls do it just as well).

I forget if I read it on BeforeIPlay, or saw it on a stream (maybe even yours!) or what.

Nothing is springing to mind other than disrupt shuts down autos and overwatch.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Jade Star posted:

Nothing is springing to mind other than disrupt shuts down autos and overwatch.

Ah the main thing is (boss mechanic spoilers) most(?) bosses aren't immune, so no teleporting when hit, giant counter attacks, clones etc..

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
Episode 5 - Temples of the Officio Assassinorum

So, this episode we got introduced to some helpers who will be joining our courageous Grey Knights on their quest to root out this corruption of chaos. But who are our plucky assassin friends, and why are they being trusted to fight alongside massive space marines? I'll make a post for each of the temples as we recruit them, with this first post including some backstory on the organization itself and the temples we won't be seeing. As such this may be a little longer than my previous posts, with future ones being shorter as they focus solely on whatever temple we just recruited.

The Officio Assassinorum has been around since the very beginning of the Imperium, when the Emperor was uniting the galaxy together under one banner: his own. They were always known for solo missions, one assassin per target. And they never needed any more, until one mission in particular: killing Horus. Not only that, the idea of sending multiple assassins was so unthinkable they never even considered it until multiple failed attempts on the primarch's life. Of course, the mission failed, but that goes to show how drat competent these guys are. Deploying just one of them requires a 2/3rds agreement of the high lords of Terra (although that tidbit comes from a board game about the officio which maaayyyy exaggerate a little). Whatever the amount required is, they are far more rare and precious of a resource than rank and file Space Marines. Only 1 in 10 survive the training, and that's already out of an incredibly small amount picked every year. An assassin's life is dangerous and hard, with more successful missions meaning more rising the ranks. The Grand Master is an assassin themselves, which means they've survived long enough to become the highest rank in the organization. Which means, do not gently caress with them. Now, onto the temples themselves, and a little of what we can expect from them.

Vindicare Temple
Our very first group to join the squad who, as we have seen, are expert snipers. Some have been known to wait for years in the same spot just to take out a single target. Most end their missions with a single bullet, but can also fight groups. One story has a Vindicare assassin halting an entire Eldar assault by themselves from a concealed and protected position within a tower overlooking the battlefield. When scouts finally managed to enter the building, they quickly found the entire place ready to blow with grenade traps.

Vindicare assassins are known for cutting off everything unnecessary from the mission. Even their vocabulary is limited to only the words most necessary for their missions, and have 0 attachment to anyone else. The variety of ammunition their exitus rifles can use allows them to take out any target necessary in the field. They all wear masks which are able to scan whatever they might need to scan from far, far away, along with monitoring communication channels. It even has cartridges of food and water installed inside which can be fed directly to the assassin, which is how they can accomplish their extraordinarily long watches over a single area alone. And of course, they have a stealth suit too in order to hide themselves.

Now, onto the temples we won't be seeing in this game.

Venenum Temple
The most obviously named temple. They love poisons, and especially love making their own. Rarely do they ever even leave a trace of the target dying from poison either. They had a larger amount of success in the Horus Heresy, but are still around today.

Vanus Temple
Spies as well as assassins, their members are known as infocytes. Human computers essentially, able to predict and gather information at an extraordinary rate. Supposedly they've never made a mistake in their calculations, but they're also well known for making propaganda, so take that with a grain of salt. Rarely do they ever get deployed in the field, instead taking in piles upon piles of information like an addict their favored drug. Their preferred methods are gathering information and then using it against their targets, never even having to get their hands dirty as their propaganda gets their targets killed instead. There are Unbond Infocytes however, those who choose to do the dirty work themselves along with gathering information, and are equipped with more typical weaponry from the Assassinorum.

Adamus Temple
The supposed oldest of all temples, known for one thing and one thing only: chopping off heads. They may even go back to the Dark Age of Technology in terms of age. Their main method of assassination is through studying their enemy's fighting styles, their strengths, their weaknesses, then using the nemesii blade they wield to chop off their head in a single blow.

Maeorus Temple
A now extinct temple. While the average assassin is meant to kill a single target, the Maeorus were meant to kill many, many, many targets. This was through a constant evolution, which was achieved through an equally large amount of very illegal modifications and testing from xenos sources. The first, and last, Maeorus assassin very quickly went rogue and hid on a planet while being hunted by her fellow assassins. A millennium followed of her hiding and causing havoc, while the assassinorum slowly drove the planet more and more into chaos. This was in order to secretly create a war on the planet to drive out the rogue assassin and kill her, but an Imperial Fist captain managed to do the deed himself. The imperial fists, safe to say, were very mad at the assassinorum for getting a whole bunch of them killed just to try and fix their own mistake.

As a final note, the Maeorus assassin in question was able to confront a Space Marine Captain, a squad of Assault Marines and 1st Company Veterans, the Imperial Fists Chapter's Emperor's Champion and a Grand Master of the Culexus Temple, while dodging fire from a Scout Squad and Grand Master Skult of the Vinidcare Temple, all at the same time. The Culexus Master was killed, along with many, many of the Imperial Fists. Think Alex Mercer from Prototype on Super Space Steroids.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ah, the personal skills. Devoted Practitioner is definitely the best one. A max level Marine has 18 skills points, a DP Marine has 21. Those extra 3 points can enable some builds for a lot of classes, especially Justicar and Interceptors. There's only a couple of classes which aren't particularly point heavy in its useful builds (like Purgator) that I'd prefer a different personal skill. As for what skills would be good for an Apothecary, the +1 to servo skulls ammo is probably the best, though I'm sure they'd be good with Devoted Practitioner too (no empirical testing as RNG has not deigned to give me one).

I'm not actually fond of Great Destiny myself, though that's a Legendary/The Duty Eternal specific thing. Legendary removes 1 resilience from everyone, so Marines only start with 1. Having no room for error regarding critical injuries on that Marine at any level is just mildly uncomfortable. This combines with The Duty Eternal basically raising the difficulty of the game as a whole. I'm overall positive on the DLC, but there's no denying that it generally raises the difficulty further than the power it gives you. It wouldn't be great if the Assassin DLC wasn't there as a counter-balance, since its overall additions makes the game easier.

On the subject of assassins, I sort of don't agree on the 'no bad picks' for assassins, largely because they have a series of problems that I group under the umbrella of "assassin problems".

- They're not Knights. This is the big one. Most Space Marine support abilities and quite a few of the stratagems specify "Knights" in their targeting. To use examples we've seen in LP so far, the Justicar's Honour the Chapter and Vakir's stratagem both can't hit assassins. This combines with what Jade Star mentioned that assassins don't gain AP from executions, so you can't grant them additional AP from external sources. This hurts, badly, because a lot of the Space Marine support abilities are really nice, and it hampers those respective support moves if an assassin is present.

- They're expensive. They require their own equipment and their own armory category that costs requisition to upgrade. Their equipment is stuff you choose, so it removes the RNG aspect, but they make you pay a premium as anything that's tier 2 or 3 costs more.

Vindicare was the first one I ended up choosing on my first game, as 'more fragile' and 'melee' didn't sound good for 2 of the other assassins, and Culexus just sounds gimmicky in its short blurb. Which is a pity, because once I tried Culexus, it's actually my favourite of the assassins. Her early game power is straight up huge, better than the Space Marines. In large part because Tier 1 upgrades aren't expensive and add a lot of power to her, and she has a lot of synergy with Interceptors and Hammer + Bolter weapon setups, both of which I use heavily in the early game. I won't speak more in detail on this since she hasn't appeared yet in your roster.

Overall, I feel that Culexus is the only assassin I'd take over a Marine due to the aforementioned Assassin problems, and I tend to drop her in the late game.

As for the battle itself, it's really odd for me to see someone playing this game with more primary ranged combat. Your Purgator there showed the primary reason why I switch early-game Purgators to Hammer + Bolter. The big weapons don't do enough damage early on for me to want to lose actions having to reload their only damage source. And there were a lot of situations where the Purgator was close enough that it would've just killed the unit to move-melee in 1 AP if they had a melee weapon. However, it is a loss to not have that shoulder-check for those certain situations.

To explain why the Vindicare stopped the suppressing fire, it's because it was a crit. Suppressing Fire in my experience does not stop if you shoot the guy normally. My best guess as to why a ranged crit stops it is that the crit menu makes the attack be considered as a melee attack, and that does stop suppressions. This also applies to Overwatch.

Edit: And yes, the best universal upgrade in the game is indeed pockets.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 23, 2024

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

The warp is hyperspace in this setting, and enables the usual circumventing of select laws of physics common in many sci-fi settings.
FTL travel and communication, teleportation are the big ones. Ship shields shunts the energy from incoming attacks into the warp, and magicpsychic powers draw their energy from there.

Thing is, the warp is also Hell. You know how in DOOM2016 the plan was to mine Hell for energy? 40k does that but for travel and long distance calls.

Cooked Auto touched on the Gellar field, the bubble of realspace that keeps a ship mostly safe in the warp. For an example of warp travel without a functional Gellar field, watch Event Horizon.
Many of us consider it a sort of unofficial prequel to 40k.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I feel Psionic Onslaught and removing enemy cover are much more valuable than a 4, 6 force strike, melee option. By giving a purgy a melee weapon you are devaluing the unique abilities and actions they can bring to a situation. If one wants to argue early game it doesn't matter much because Knights and gear haven't developed enough to matter, and once they have developed the decisions and evaluations change, yeah maybe.

It's weird to me to think my style would be considered ranged focused. I typically let the terrain and starting distances dictate ranged vs melee. I feel my play style is very balanced. I think the big factors are range (how many AP to get in melee), number of enemies, and positioning. A long hallway with enemies at 10 tiles away? I'm not spending 3 AP to get a single melee attack on anything but the weakest cultist. Plague marines will survive at least two hits with a force strike hammer, knife me, walk away, and then shoot me. That's 12dmg dealt, best case, for taking 6 in return. Fat boys will explode in my face on a kill giving the knight Plague, or claw me if they live. And so on for enemies we haven't seen. Just in these two examples it's not worth melee unless you're sure you can kill the target, and you can do so without putting yourself in harms way for the retaliation. When I melee, I want that to be the end of the fight, not the middle of it. Enemies should not be given a chance to strike back.

Essentially I have a calculation running in my head every fight; do I have enough AP to kill everything this turn, Y/N? Typically if the answer is yes, it means melee is worth it or more likely melee is the reason why I calculate a yes answer. If no, then deal damage, stay safe, and lower enemy HP so next turn the answer is yes.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Solarium posted:

The Necrons have like 6 different ways they can travel FTL, and all of them turn the laws of physics into the suggesstions of physics.

I thought they got Retconned down to just wormholes, inertialess drives (which don't go FTL), and the Webway.

And yeah, nerds are big mad that there's female Custodes because waaa their power fantasy

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
In terms of the melee heavy style I play with, one part comes down to positioning. For example, on engaging the first group, there's a wall to abuse that you can use to get a lot closer to them than going through the open sight lines, which reduces the AP needed to run into melee from 3 to 2, or even 1 for a couple of units for most of the Marines. Which changes the calculations for that fight significantly. Plus for that area specifically, it encourages a bunch of units to take cover near the edge, so oops Grenade!

The other comes down to how I build my early Purgators. The main reasons why I go early-game Hammer + Bolter Purgator.

- Cover doesn't really matter for melee attacks anyways
- I really prefer Astral Aim first myself, because as the Vindicare shows, shooting off the gun arm or the Poxplosion head on demand is helpful.
- I think the Psilencer and Psycannon kind of suck if not currently supported by the skill tree, so the Astral Aim delay hurts them.
- After Astral Aim, I build the unit towards Psilencer build since I really want Disrupting Shot for something later in the game, and as well as having the 18 range Astral Aim option.

I'll fully admit though that my playstyle is a personal preference, I'm fairly aggressive. The game does give a lot of tools to handle a lot of situations, after all. I do look forward to seeing how the tactics evolve later-on, as more skill points are spent and more distinct combat tactics can be seen. However, I've realized that my Hammer talk has gotten repetitive by this point, so I'll stop talking about the Hammer thing and focus on other things as more mechanics reveal themselves.

I do appreciate you making this thread, since overall I feel that the game has gotten kind of less attention than it deserves. So, thanks for running the LP.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

I thought they got Retconned down to just wormholes, inertialess drives (which don't go FTL), and the Webway.

And yeah, nerds are big mad that there's female Custodes because waaa their power fantasy
They quietly never mentioned necron ships being slower than light without the webway after that was introduced in the 6th ed codex.
That was always a stupid change. You're telling me the short-lived necrontyr managed to have an interstellar empire (with some characters having memories of several battles on different worlds in the secession wars) and also win a war against the Old Ones and the Eldar without FTL?

To look at more recent examples, the Indomitus novel talks about necron dimensional engines, and in the Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 game necron ships have inertialess drives that are clearly still FTL, albeit slower than warp travel. Necron fleets get to move two jumps a turn, everyone else three. To compensate they get dolmen gates that let them move from any sector to any other in a single jump.

In addition to the wormholes they also have translocation, a relatively short ranged teleport that doesn't require a receiver on the other end.

The novella Severed has FTL communication, called interstitial communication.
Between all that and the other examples of necrons treating the laws of physics, my read on it is that they've figured out how to access a more typical sci-fi subspace, and move through space with something not unlike a star trek warp drive, or alcubierre drive if you prefer.

Oh and that reminds me, a correction to whoever it was who said tyranids travel using the warp, they don't. The shadow in the warp is believed to be an effect of the hive mind wherever there's a vast amount of tyranid synaptic traffic.
To actually travel between stars, they have a specialised bio-ship called a Narvhal that acts as a tug.
It acts like the theoretical alcubierre drive, somehow powered by the gravity of the gravity well it departs from, towing the hive fleet between stars. It does not work inside a gravity well however, so in-system is slower than light only, and for systems with a deep gravity we'll, final approach can take years, of not decades.
The interstellar speed is also slower than a warp drive, as with the necrons, but a whole lot more reliable.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I don't think anyone's commented on it, but one more thing I like about this game:
When you customise your knights you can freely give them whatever first name you want, but their last name you pick from a list.
That's because they all occasionally shout out their name like a pokemon.
It's a small touch, but a nice one.
And a fair bit of voice acting having all the voice options for knights read all of the various names, in a couple of different tones.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Groetgaffel posted:

Oh and that reminds me, a correction to whoever it was who said tyranids travel using the warp, they don't. The shadow in the warp is believed to be an effect of the hive mind wherever there's a vast amount of tyranid synaptic traffic.
To actually travel between stars, they have a specialised bio-ship called a Narvhal that acts as a tug.
It acts like the theoretical alcubierre drive, somehow powered by the gravity of the gravity well it departs from, towing the hive fleet between stars. It does not work inside a gravity well however, so in-system is slower than light only, and for systems with a deep gravity we'll, final approach can take years, of not decades.

Living on a planet for decades while an armada of hungry mouths slowly approach sounds so much worse than many other deaths in setting, I can imagine the populace just voting for nuclear death out of spite.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Most of them won't really know that a hive fleet is on approach, until it's too late that is.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

By popular demand posted:

Living on a planet for decades while an armada of hungry mouths slowly approach sounds so much worse than many other deaths in setting, I can imagine the populace just voting for nuclear death out of spite.
Don't forget that the Shadow in the Warp also makes it nearly impossible to call for help. And if help does come, the Shadow also fucks with warp travel so they'll probably be battered and delayed.

That said, yeah as Cooked Auto says, hive fleets are difficult to spot in advance. Preempting a tyranid invasion usually includes either psychic foresight, or plotting out the course of the invading fleets from the consumed worlds left in their wake.
Usually the first warning you get is when you catch the edge of the Shadow in the Warp. The warp being the mess that it is, most systems doesn't notice the increasing disruption in interstellar communication and travel until it's too late to call for help.

But to bring it back to your post, that strategy has absolutely been employed, most (in)famously by inquisitor Kryptmann, who enacted a fire break of exterminatused worlds in the path of a massive hive fleet, starving them of biomass until they were weak enough to be engaged by conventional means. It worked, but the inquisitor was excommunicated afterwards for employing measures even the Imperium thought was too extreme

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Adeptus Ridiculous read a book passage where characters on a world being consumed by nids sought refuge in the highest mountains. One of the characters was a mountain climber who realized the air was thinner than it should be and had the horrible realization that even if they weren't found and devoured, the nids were going to eat the entire atmosphere before leaving.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah It's worth pointing out that the Tyrannids basically digest everything on the planet and slurp it up into their hive ships, including the armies they field on those planets, and the structures they created to do that digestion. Just drag all the biomass to the digestor pits so it can get slurped up by the giant orbital straws.

That's not even getting into the genestealer cults that the Tyrannids use to find worlds to eat.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Or in the case of th rippers, eat everything they can and then go into the digestion pools to be dissolved.

A recommended reading for just how terrifying the arrival of a hive fleet to a planet can be is The Fall of Malvolion by Dan Abnett.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
One interesting connection between the Grey Knights and Death Guard is that the titular gray coloration comes from the fact that they don’t paint their armor. The Death Guard also didn’t paint their armor except for a few highlights before their corruption by Nurgle….

There was a planet that defeated a hive fleet by blowing up one of its hive cities while the Tyranids besieged it. The surviving Tyranids froze to death or were killed before they came out of winter hibernation. They can also starve to death if they don’t feed on a planet often enough.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Or Fenris or Catachan where the native biosphere just eats the invading fleet

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

It's worth noting that not all Tyranid Hive Fleets were made equally.

Hive Fleet Behemoth, Hive Fleet Kraken and Hive Fleet Leviathan are the three original fleets that entered the galaxy. Hive Fleets Behemoth and Kraken were defeated in incredibly costly pitched battles with the Imperium, but as they travelled they gained enough biomass to form smaller splinter fleets that went their own way. These splinter feets are capable of being defeated conventionally as long as they don't manage to eat too many worlds, at which point they're capable of scaling up to the size of a full fleet.

Hive Fleet Leviathan was manipulated by Inquisitor Kryptmann, with grotesque sacrifice galling even those that run the Empire, into engaging, in its totality, against the Octarius Empire, the largest Orc Waaagh! in the galaxy. Orcs reproduce asexually and are famously tough and adaptable, the Tyrannids reproduce via biomass, and the two forces have been locked in a death battle with eachother for a century or two by now. It is commonly believed by experts in-setting that whoever manages to emerge victorious from the Octarius Thunderdome will immediately be the biggest single threat to the galaxy's safety, possibly even bigger than the forces of Chaos.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Little out of date. Nids won Octarius

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Ah, I'm not quite as up to date with things that have happened since the Great Plot Progression after 10 years or so of being stuck in 40999

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Telsa Cola posted:

Boooo