Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jade's insomnia has struck again I see, unless I get my time differences too screwy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

habituallyred posted:

Its funny. When the Grey Knights were the tippy top forces made of gene seeds embezzeled from the tithe and the loyalist remnants of the traitor legions I disliked them. Now that the Custodes are an actual army I don't mind them.

When something even more boring shows up, the second most boring thing suddenly doesn't look bad.

I don't mind GKs, but their baby carrier is still one of the worst looking units made.

Fun fact, the plot for this game was written by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Who also write Emperor's Gift, which is also about Grey Knights and one of the few Space Marine books I've read and liked.
I had forgotten he wrote the plot for this and assumed they had gotten Ben Counter for it, who also wrote a bunch of GK books back in the day.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 10, 2024

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I mean if you spin around fast enough.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Groetgaffel posted:

Several novels describe the sound of firing a bolter as a dual bang-roar. First the initial charge, then the solid fuel rocket igniting.

The best one being from the first Inquisitor War novel. Where the sound is described as RAARK-pop-SWOOSH-thud-CRUMP.

Also one of those books who says it has no recoil.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The first Inquisition War book is probably the best one, because it has a plot to it that isn't boiled down to Draco going "My waifu :qq:" after getting laid.

It does also have a reference to Ian Watson's other 40k book, Space Marine, with mentioning the main character ofi t in a comment. His name?
Biff Thundrish.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A couple of books and short stories under the Gaunt's Ghost umbrella also deals with living on Chaos occupied worlds.
Then there's also Daemon World by Ben Counter that sort of deals with that topic.

As for Servitors, I'd recommend looking up Flesh and Steel by Guy Haley for a rather grisly description of what that might entail.

A lot of the stories are kind of bad at establishing what the common people know, but there are occasional stories where people's ignorance about Chaos will end up badly for them.
For instance there's Liberation Day by Matthew Farrer that place on a Ork held space hulk and the resistance on board there. At one point they manage to pick up a message that a bunch of Marines are on their way to save them, much to their joy obviously. But in the end their savours turn out to be Iron Warriors chaos space marines, and things don't end too nicely for everyone else involved. But that story does play a lot with what the average Imperial citizen do and don't know. Which isn't much.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 14, 2024

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It should be said that the Sabbat Crusade series (because at this point it has sort of expanded beyond just the Ghosts of Tanith) does present Chaos in a slightly different way.

For while there are also the kind of crazed cultists you usually see in 40k media, the main antagonist that crops up later on is essentially a dark mirror of the Guard. In that it's a organised army of professional soldiers fighting for Chaos.
Two even as things progress.

It's a shame that GW doesn't really want to acknowledge the Blood Pact (Or the Sons of Sek for that part) with that the Lost and the Damned only being a cursory thing in the rules. Because it's a really interesting way of portraying Chaos more as a Martial thing rather than just mutations and warp fuckery.
And there is still plenty of warp fuckery to go around I should add.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Groetgaffel posted:

Same thing with the Custodes now that they are active outside the palace.

Which is funny considering they have a group dedicated to keep an eye on the Inquisition. So I can just imagine once they suss out that an Inquisitor needs their help, one of their guys will just happen to show up just to keep an eye on them at the same time.

And one to keep watch on the Mechanicus too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Really depends if daemons were involved in the action or not.

The first war of Armageddon, one of those post cleanup actions that get mentioned, involved a daemonic primarch, and a ton of khorne daemons. Which was definitely not something they wanted the common people to know about.
Should also be noted that the Space Wolves didn't like them doing it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

At the end of the Shadowblade bood, set during the Macharian crusade story, the main character avoids getting purged after seeing a bunch of daemonettes by the sheer virtue of another character telling him to keep his mouth shut about it. And then has to execute someone else who is most likely to mention it because they think this is some unknown enemy that they might have valuable intel about.

Meanwhile the planet population either gets enslaved or killed depending on their purity.

But it's also worth pointing out that the books are very inconsistent about things.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The skinny regarding the Warp is that it's a necessary evil, without it the Imperium wouldn't function. Despite it's obvious issues about ships being lost in transit thanks to monsters/daemons/storms, crews getting corrupted and so on.

The thing that allows the ships to travel with moderate safety is the gellar field that projects an aura of realspace around the ship. But it's not infallible and warp travel is always unnerving affairs filled with weird dreams and various minor haunts.

It used to be safer, before the heresy and it's only become worse and worse after that. The splitting of the galaxy after the Eye of Terror burst open hasn't helped much.

In fact, things are much worse because all Imperial warp travel is dependant on the Astronomican on Terra, which acts like a giant psychic lighthouse that gives ships a point of reference. Without that chances of a successful journey decreases markedly, unless you do short jumps in and out of real space. But that takes time.
So the issue now is that one half of the galaxy doesn't have access to that beacon.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 23, 2024

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Looking it up I can't find anything definitive and from what I recall, nothing has been mentioned in the game about the 13th Black Crusade or the Cicatrix Maledictum. So assume before? :shrug:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Most of them won't really know that a hive fleet is on approach, until it's too late that is.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Or in the case of th rippers, eat everything they can and then go into the digestion pools to be dissolved.

A recommended reading for just how terrifying the arrival of a hive fleet to a planet can be is The Fall of Malvolion by Dan Abnett.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

White Coke posted:

Is it still implied that the ecosystems of those planets are descended from a previous Tyranid invasion?

Vaguely hinted at with Catachan. Fenris I'm not so sure.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

While there aren't any given crew numbers for the Strike Cruiser, the Dauntless Light Cruiser is noted to have a crew of around 65 000 as per Rogue Trader RPG core rulebook.

The "smallest" (still 1.4km longer) ship in the Navy listing, the Claymore class corvette, has a crew of around 21 000.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oddly enough that pretty much the same ending to Liberation Day by Matthew Farrer and Edward Rusk. But the location is different because it's also the story I talked about a few pages back.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's not from a rulebook. Originally it showed up as a reader submission in the Chapter Approved section of White Dwarf during 3rd edition.

Then later on it was reprinted in one of the Chapter Approved books that collected a bunch of alternate army rules, FAQs and other write ups. Can't remember which one specifically of the three ones that came out during the early 00's.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

No the question was from a reader, the response was by Jervis Johnson.

I double checked my book, the text was written by one Patrick Marshall and found by Jervis going by the final page of Chapter Approved 2001.

Second book of the Astronomican page 129 posted:

Last of all is this piece which Jervis found on the Internet, that made me (Andy Chambers) laugh so much I had to share it with you. Thanks to Patrick Marshall for this fascinating treatsie in reply to someone who thought that Planetary bombardment in the 41st millenium would be a simple matter of knocking a few asteroids out of orbit so that they hit the target planet - rocks, after all, are free...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Something I won't dispute.